Author Topic: Coach Info.  (Read 10529 times)

Offline _sturt_

Re: geez
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2007, 03:49:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "marshallmark"
    I like Donnie, and think he could be very successful here.  The problem is that last sentence:  I THINK he could be.  

I KNOW Pete Gillen, or John Pelphrey or Gregg Marshall WOULD be because of their track record.

MMark, no, you don't.

You simply don't.

Repeat after me, and let's make sure you've got this down... you DON'T know if ANY coach, no matter his experience, would be.

Herein is the problem and the crux of this ongoing debate:

The results of coaching are not a scientifically-controlled experiment where all of the variables are identified and the results can be predicted to be so valid and reliable that you can do the experiment time-after-time, and you'll get the same results.

You know that, I know you do... but you talk like you don't.

Rather, what we're dealing with here are MANY variables, some of which are easily recognized, some of which are not so easy. Certainly there are key variables that would appear to have greater impact than others... but make no mistake--it's "variables" plural, not "variable" singular as the myopic "but has he ever called a timeout on his own" crowd desperately wants the committee to focus upon absolutely, first, foremost, and period.

I continue to remind you that the last time Ron Jirsa got replaced, he got replaced by a "can't-miss" head coach with QUITE an accomplished record for calling timeouts.

I continue to remind you of the giant sucking sound that miracle-worker Rollie Massimino left after his grand entrance to replace Tark in Las Vegas.

And, then there's one that's right in front of your eyes: how could Pete Gillen ever have stubbed his toe after the magnificent jobs he did in Cincinnati, and then Providence...???

For good measure... ever heard of Dan Monson? Ever heard of "little" Gonzaga? You say it's not "little" anymore? Not only is it not "little" Gonzaga anymore, but you likely owe the fact that you know how to pronounce "Gonzaga" to this Monson guy. Where's he now? Oh, he just ended an incredibly impotent run at Minnesota, and some guy named Tubby Smith is taking his place.

Once more, in case you aren't getting it:

YOU DON'T KNOW :razz:

just because a guy has called a timeout and had some success...

...rather, you can only hope the committee will make the hire that seems to have the best combination of the important variables (note, plural) that would make the program most likely to have success in the near future.

I continue to feel like they care about this as much as you or I do, and that as professionals who have hired their share of good employees and bad ones, and what's more, who's pride is on the public stage and as a consequence, their pride (and that's a LOT of pride) is at stake... I think this is going to turn out, if not "well," then as best it could turn out given the circumstances surrounding the program right now and parameters of what MU can offer.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2007, 03:49:43 PM »

Offline herdgameplan

Coach Info.
    « Reply #101 on: March 25, 2007, 04:42:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would agree with you in part....yes we don't know who will be the next HC!

What is more important is that the selection process should be thorough and as forward thinking as humanly possible.

We presently have a rebuilding process that is far from respectable. It will take a HC who knows the rebuilding process and not one who may be coming off a championship season and could fall far below expectations.

I'm for Pete Gillen .......if he is interviewed for and takes the HC position is not my call. One thing is for sure ....he is the best all-around candidate.

Offline _sturt_

Coach Info.
    « Reply #102 on: March 25, 2007, 05:17:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "herdgameplan"
    I would agree with you in part....

I'm confused... sorry... is there some part you're attempting to dispute?

I like Gillen. But I don't know (that word again) he'd be the best choice simply by virtue that he's been a HC before. There are other factors, plural, that, were he chosen, should set him apart... not one.

Offline marshallmark

Coach Info.
    « Reply #103 on: March 25, 2007, 07:27:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "_sturt_"
    Quote from: "herdgameplan"
    I would agree with you in part....

I'm confused... sorry... is there some part you're attempting to dispute?

I like Gillen. But I don't know (that word again) he'd be the best choice simply by virtue that he's been a HC before. There are other factors, plural, that, were he chosen, should set him apart... not one.

I don't disagree with your points -- I was just trying to avoid typing as much as you were willing to do.  lol

I should have said that I KNOW the head coaches are CAPABLE of producing a winner.  I am NOT sure if they could do that here.  With assistants, I don't know either.
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Offline Dreamherd

• Heisman
    Coach Info.
    « Reply #104 on: March 25, 2007, 07:42:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Greg Marshall would do better than Pete Gillian at Marshall.  Out with old and in with the young guns of the game.

Offline HerdnClt

YOU DON'T KNOW
    « Reply #105 on: March 25, 2007, 07:46:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No but sure beats someone who has never called a timeout.  Let's get real here.  Experience with W/L record as a head coach in D1 sure beats someone without even a record....
    "The Herd #1"

Offline MU65Grad

Coach Info.
    « Reply #106 on: March 25, 2007, 07:55:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "Dreamherd"
    Greg Marshall would do better than Pete Gillian at Marshall.  Out with old and in with the young guns of the game.
    You got something against us old geezers? :shock:

Offline marshallmark

Coach Info.
    « Reply #107 on: March 25, 2007, 08:38:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "Dreamherd"
    Greg Marshall would do better than Pete Gillian at Marshall.  Out with old and in with the young guns of the game.

Gregg may not be available -- he's turned down 750k (or 900k, depending on the report) from USF, and he's been offered 400k by Winthrop PLUS they apparently are willing to rename the court after him.  We may be able to pay him a few thousand more than that, but would he move for an extra 2k+/- a paycheck?  Doubt it.

- E-Man

Offline HerdnClt

may not be available -- he's turned down 750k (or 900k, depe
    « Reply #108 on: March 25, 2007, 09:28:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would like to have Greg Marshall because he has an excellent W/L record and has gone to the big dance on several occasions.  Let's don't go crazy here though.  One win in the NCAA doesn't make you Paul McCartney, no make that John Wooden. Marshall would be a great opportunity for Marshall... Come on.. He is at Winthrop...
    "The Herd #1"

Offline catbird70

• All American
    « Reply #109 on: March 25, 2007, 10:03:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

MMark, no, you don't.

You simply don't.

Repeat after me, and let's make sure you've got this down... you DON'T know if ANY coach, no matter his experience, would be.

Herein is the problem and the crux of this ongoing debate:

The results of coaching are not a scientifically-controlled experiment where all of the variables are identified and the results can be predicted to be so valid and reliable that you can do the experiment time-after-time, and you'll get the same results.

You know that, I know you do... but you talk like you don't.

Rather, what we're dealing with here are MANY variables, some of which are easily recognized, some of which are not so easy. Certainly there are key variables that would appear to have greater impact than others... but make no mistake--it's "variables" plural, not "variable" singular as the myopic "but has he ever called a timeout on his own" crowd desperately wants the committee to focus upon absolutely, first, foremost, and period.

I continue to remind you that the last time Ron Jirsa got replaced, he got replaced by a "can't-miss" head coach with QUITE an accomplished record for calling timeouts.

I continue to remind you of the giant sucking sound that miracle-worker Rollie Massimino left after his grand entrance to replace Tark in Las Vegas.

And, then there's one that's right in front of your eyes: how could Pete Gillen ever have stubbed his toe after the magnificent jobs he did in Cincinnati, and then Providence...???

For good measure... ever heard of Dan Monson? Ever heard of "little" Gonzaga? You say it's not "little" anymore? Not only is it not "little" Gonzaga anymore, but you likely owe the fact that you know how to pronounce "Gonzaga" to this Monson guy. Where's he now? Oh, he just ended an incredibly impotent run at Minnesota, and some guy named Tubby Smith is taking his place.

Once more, in case you aren't getting it:

YOU DON'T KNOW :razz:

just because a guy has called a timeout and had some success...

...rather, you can only hope the committee will make the hire that seems to have the best combination of the important variables (note, plural) that would make the program most likely to have success in the near future.

I continue to feel like they care about this as much as you or I do, and that as professionals who have hired their share of good employees and bad ones, and what's more, who's pride is on the public stage and as a consequence, their pride (and that's a LOT of pride) is at stake... I think this is going to turn out, if not "well," then as best it could turn out given the circumstances surrounding the program right now and parameters of what MU can offer.

Sturt....what a worthless post.....who cares about how much or what we dont know......

The BOG just needs to focus on what the DO know.....collect the resumes and make offers to the best and most qualified (on paper) candidates and move on down the list.....

Stop being a master of the obvious....

Offline _sturt_

Coach Info.
    « Reply #110 on: March 25, 2007, 11:14:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Max... you there?... this just seems like a good time to mention what a wise, sensible, profound, yet straightforward person I think you are.

Offline chezdog30

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Member Since 01/2011
    Coach Info.
    « Reply #111 on: March 25, 2007, 11:41:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Forget it...I post what I know and still get flamed. And yes, Bob Pruett told me that RJ was keeping his job. Thats how much of a secret it was that he was going to be removed. I posted it as I was told the info, flame me if you want.

For some of you, you get your kicks on flaming fellow posters whom root for the same team that you do. As far as this coaching search goes, the decision has more or less been made, and some of you that know people that say DJ is not going to be hired must not know anyone involved.

All that matters to me is that RJ is gone, my family and I can return to herd basketball and enjoy a different atmosphere. As far as anything else I hear, I will keep it to myself. A guy tries to keep things in perspective and it becomes flamefest 2007. I will continue to read what you "insiders" have to say.

HerdFans.com

Coach Info.
    « Reply #111 on: March 25, 2007, 11:41:55 PM »

Offline ThunderValley

Coach Info.
    « Reply #112 on: March 26, 2007, 07:29:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • When Billy D. was at Marshall he had no prior coaching "time out calling" experience. He never took MU to a post season game. But yet Florida hired him and the rest is history.

Offline The Right Stuff

Coach Info.
    « Reply #113 on: March 26, 2007, 07:54:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Florida has a lot more resources than MU.  

TRS
    fMU 71

Offline catbird70

• All American
    Coach Info.
    « Reply #114 on: March 26, 2007, 08:40:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "The Right Stuff"
    Florida has a lot more resources than MU.  

TRS
    fMU 71

exactly....
    Donovan is a good coach but put him at Winthrop and he couldnt  do what Marshall has done.  Put Marshall at Marshall and he would do more than Donovan did...

Offline ThunderValley

Coach Info.
    « Reply #115 on: March 26, 2007, 08:50:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Donovan is a good coach but put him at Winthrop and he couldnt do what Marshall has done. Put Marshall at Marshall and he would do more than Donovan did...

Please tell me how you know all that. Do you have a bridge for sale?

Offline marshallmark

Coach Info.
    « Reply #116 on: March 26, 2007, 09:07:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "chezdog30"
    Forget it...I post what I know and still get flamed. And yes, Bob Pruett told me that RJ was keeping his job. Thats how much of a secret it was that he was going to be removed. I posted it as I was told the info, flame me if you want.

For some of you, you get your kicks on flaming fellow posters whom root for the same team that you do. As far as this coaching search goes, the decision has more or less been made, and some of you that know people that say DJ is not going to be hired must not know anyone involved.

All that matters to me is that RJ is gone, my family and I can return to herd basketball and enjoy a different atmosphere. As far as anything else I hear, I will keep it to myself. A guy tries to keep things in perspective and it becomes flamefest 2007. I will continue to read what you "insiders" have to say.

If what you say is true, then Bob is further removed from the university than I would like.  Perhaps Kayo was telling HIM Ron was staying?  We all now know that Kayo doesn't have the final say anymore.  And THAT, kiddies, is a good thing.

- E-Man

Offline Thundermonkey

• All American
    Coach Info.
    « Reply #117 on: March 26, 2007, 09:19:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I will support whoever is hired, until he gives me a reason to do otherwise. I'm going to cheer for the guys in green, no matter what.
    "Straight cash, homey."

RANDY MOSS

Offline Photo by

• Global Moderator
    • Hall of Famer
    Coach Info.
    « Reply #118 on: March 26, 2007, 09:22:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "marshallmark"
    ...Perhaps Kayo was telling HIM Ron was staying?  We all now know that Kayo doesn't have the final say anymore...

Boys and girls this coaching situation is much like the football coaching and more recently the is Jirsa staying situation. It is extremely fluid.

You will see good reliable inside sources that say one thing and another good reliable inside source will something else. Then it will all change in a day or two.

Certain factions will champion one coach or another. It will appear to be a done deal. (Remember the football coach hiring?) We're currently seeing the Donnie propaganda machine in full force. The G Marshall machine to a lesser degree.

The difference in this hiring vs. the football hiring is Kopp. He is playing his cards close to the vest. I get the distinct feeling that he isn't sitting in Old Main waiting on the committee to bring him DJ or GM on a plate, but instead is following the information in the hunt rather than the emotions. I think the makeup of the committee is designed by Kopp to produce quality candidates in a less than ideal atmosphere.

My guess is that everything you hear is true and everything you hear is false.

Until Kayo has a press conference that Kopp has blessed, figuring out exactly what is going on is an exercise of nailing Jello to a wall.

"If you count victories in terms of perseverance, commitment, and determination our team went undefeated in ’71."
    ...Jack Lengyel

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    Coach Info.
    « Reply #119 on: March 26, 2007, 09:28:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    If what you say is true, then Bob is further removed from the university than I would like. Perhaps Kayo was telling HIM Ron was staying? We all now know that Kayo doesn't have the final say anymore. And THAT, kiddies, is a good thing.

No doubt. Remind me again, why is Kayo still our AD?

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    Coach Info.
    « Reply #120 on: March 26, 2007, 09:57:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "ThunderValley"
    When Billy D. was at Marshall he had no prior coaching "time out calling" experience. He never took MU to a post season game. But yet Florida hired him and the rest is history.

We were also in the Southern Con and could take a chance on him. If we were in the SoCon I would wrap D. Jones up in a Wet blanket. If we were in the MAC I might say he's worth a chance. But we are no longer a mid-major in basketball and need a captain to turn this ship around yesterday not 3 yrs from now.

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    Coach Info.
    « Reply #121 on: March 26, 2007, 10:51:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "HerdZone"
    Quote from: "ThunderValley"
    When Billy D. was at Marshall he had no prior coaching "time out calling" experience. He never took MU to a post season game. But yet Florida hired him and the rest is history.

We were also in the Southern Con and could take a chance on him. If we were in the SoCon I would wrap D. Jones up in a Wet blanket. If we were in the MAC I might say he's worth a chance. But we are no longer a mid-major in basketball and need a captain to turn this ship around yesterday not 3 yrs from now.

We're not mid-major? How many post-season berths did our conference receive this year? One? One of twelve? Sounds pretty mid-major to me.

HerdFans.com

Coach Info.
    « Reply #121 on: March 26, 2007, 10:51:14 AM »

Offline Flat Tire

• All American
    Coach Info.
    « Reply #122 on: March 26, 2007, 11:06:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "marshallsoccer"
    Quote from: "HerdZone"

We're not mid-major? How many post-season berths did our conference receive this year? One? One of twelve? Sounds pretty mid-major to me.

We only received one bid, duh! If you look at the commitment to basketball by our other conference mates, it is NOT a "mid-major" conference. It has been posted by others that something like six other CUSA schools have gone out in the last year or two and hired established coaches. These schools are paying a lot more money for these coaches than "mid-major" schools pay for their help. Peace, young man.

Offline jamez009

Re: YOU DON'T KNOW
    « Reply #123 on: March 26, 2007, 11:11:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "HerdnClt"
    No but sure beats someone who has never called a timeout.  

...Pete Gillen certainly has no problems calling timeouts! lol He likes to burn them up in the first half.
    Seriously, as a MU alum who has been a die-hard UVA basketball fan since around 1980, I really hope we don't get Gillen. I think he's a good guy and would certainly have some fun quotes for the media, but as a coach, I don't want to go through another Gillen tenure, please. He didn't develop players at UVA, they regressed, played no defense and he just flat out lost the team by the end. Hoo fans were calling for his head for years before Littlepage finally pulled the plug and bought out his contract. I know the ACC is a different world than C-USA and he has had success at mid-majors before, but I just think we'd be better off to go in a different direction. I like Pete as an announcer and, as I said, as a person, but just not as a coach.

~j

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    Coach Info.
    « Reply #124 on: March 26, 2007, 11:11:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "Flat Tire"
    Quote from: "marshallsoccer"
    Quote from: "HerdZone"

We only received one bid, duh! If you look at the commitment to basketball by our other conference mates, it is NOT a "mid-major" conference. It has been posted by others that something like six other CUSA schools have gone out in the last year or two and hired established coaches. These schools are paying a lot more money for these coaches than "mid-major" schools pay for their help. Peace, young man.

Major conferences get more than one team in post-season play. CUSA definitely has more potential than other mid-majors, but right now we're a mid-major. We had how many last year in season play? 3? So, 4 out of 24 in two years, that's mid-major.

In Sagarin's ratings this year we were closer ranked to the Southern Conference than the lowest rated major conference (Big XII).

CUSA does have more potential than the MAC or Southern Conference, but right now we're not much better than them. We're definitely, just because of $, on the higher end of mid-majors with the Horizon League, Missouri Valley, MWC, etc

HerdFans.com

Coach Info.
    « Reply #124 on: March 26, 2007, 11:11:15 AM »