Author Topic: Football recruiting  (Read 10575 times)

Offline Buffalo Bop

Re: Football recruiting
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2023, 03:41:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, The E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2023, 03:41:13 PM »

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2023, 04:45:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We need S play.

Green isn?t the answer.

Sam & Jackson gone

Losing Both not good

Jackson was coming on

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2023, 11:53:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, parshall2marshall, The E-Man, coalherd, MicDrass1, herdfan129

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2023, 01:43:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, MicDrass1

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2023, 01:45:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, The E-Man, coalherd

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2023, 01:51:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://twitter.com/Taydotmoney_/status/1660694313578184715?s=20

How does he know he is Gods strongest soldier ? and if he is why not do something other than play football? curious

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2023, 02:14:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How does he know he is Gods strongest soldier ? and if he is why not do something other than play football? curious

Perhaps he has faith. There are nearly one dozen NT scripture passages that encourages and attests to his claim of  relationship.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, whf, kpimichael, ed swain, The E-Man

Offline coalherd

« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2023, 05:05:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://twitter.com/ThunderCast_Pod/status/1660485502552756224?s=20

Good to see, IMO.  Marshall is a known commodity in the Old Dominion and I hope under President Smith that we double our efforts there in terms of student recruitment and, while we are at it, recruitment of Student-Athletes in ALL sports!!  We have more presence now with regular Conference games yearly with ODU and JMU!  We are hooking up, it seems, with VA Tech in several sports, and they are the "main" collegiate team of interest in the Roanoke and New River Valley areas, which are quite familiar to many people living in Southern and SE West Virginia!

Eventually, hopefully in my lifetime, what's left of it, the Appalachian Corridor from I-79 east will be completed to I-81 in NW Virginia and close to I-66 into DC.  Will make North Central, and really all of WV, a lot closer and more accessible to 6 million plus people in the Greater Washington-Baltimore area!!  MU needs to get ready NOW to take advantage of that factor!!!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, The E-Man

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2023, 06:29:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Depth and Quality

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, The E-Man

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2023, 06:34:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Perhaps he has faith. There are nearly one dozen NT scripture passages that encourages and attests to his claim of  relationship.

Well then if he believes it then so do freakin I

Offline MUonium

« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2023, 09:41:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i guess the staff must be very confident in the three OL transfers and development of the returners.  i saw some games last year that were considered below avg OL play.  but the defense recruits are dominating the board.  hope they get it right!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, HerdEcon, The E-Man

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2023, 01:39:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i guess the staff must be very confident in the three OL transfers and development of the returners.  i saw some games last year that were considered below avg OL play.  but the defense recruits are dominating the board.  hope they get it right!

100% agree.

After three recruiting classes it appears Huff's recruiting philosophy is to recruit the transfer portal for defense and mainly develop players from within the program for offense.  Immediate need positions excepted. 

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, MUonium

HerdFans.com

« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2023, 01:39:18 AM »

Offline svherd

« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2023, 07:34:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I think they are confident in the OL group coming back and the transfers. The DL depth tells me they want fresh legs for Q4 of every game. We aren't gonna be air raid offense so we'll likely win or lose in close games - depth will play a role for sure.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, The E-Man, MUonium, herdfan129

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2023, 07:37:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Defense will play more minutes

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2023, 08:01:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I seem to remember that Huff stated in a podcast that they reshirted all the freshmen linemen last year and he stated they were happy with their progress and development.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, ed swain, The E-Man, herdfifteen, MUonium, GreenDaddy, herdfan129

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2023, 09:49:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, parshall2marshall, The E-Man, herdfan129

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2023, 10:02:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, svherd, The E-Man, coalherd, herdfan129

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2023, 11:55:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Defense will play more minutes

I think you intend that as a well deserved jab at our offense.  No more 3 and outs, please.

With as many resources as Huff has poured into the defense it should be able to shutdown opposing offenses and get off the field quick.  If our defense is spending a lot of time on the field and the opposing offense is dominating the time of possession the game is not going good for Huff.  Last season our offense ranked 27th in Time of Possession. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, herdfan129

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #93 on: May 23, 2023, 11:58:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think you intend that as a well deserved jab at our offense.  No more 3 and outs, please.

With as many resources as Huff has poured into the defense it should be able to shutdown opposing offenses and get off the field quick.  If our defense is spending a lot of time on the field and the opposing offense is dominating the time of possession the game is not going good for Huff.  Last season our offense ranked 27th in Time of Possession.

If we win great but don't expect good attendance with godawful O

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2023, 12:22:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think you intend that as a well deserved jab at our offense.  No more 3 and outs, please.

I believe Huff said in one of the podcasts that the SBC was a league that had much better linemen than MU had and the league was built on good defensive lineman. It great to have a high power offense, but you need to be able to stop the other team from running or not being able to throw the ball by using defensive line pressure. Making the opponent go three and out gives your offense more opportunities.
    « Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 12:25:03 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, HerdEcon

Offline mubowhunter

« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2023, 01:21:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How does he know he is Gods strongest soldier ? and if he is why not do something other than play football? curious

You bring nothing to this board but stupidity! 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, svherd, wasbarryb

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2023, 01:56:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I believe Huff said in one of the podcasts that the SBC was a league that had much better linemen than MU had and the league was built on good defensive lineman. It great to have a high power offense, but you need to be able to stop the other team from running or not being able to throw the ball by using defensive line pressure. Making the opponent go three and out gives your offense more opportunities.

Some coaches believe the four most important positions in football are 1. QB, 2. DE Pass Rusher, 3. DT, and 4. DB.  However, in the modern game some argue that WR is now a top 3 position. 

Either way defense dominates the top 4-5 most important positions on a team.

Strong defense or strong offensive, it all comes down to the HC philosophy.   We've all seen Art Briles and WKU put high powered offenses on the field with little to no defense and resurrect teams.  Baylor was awful before Briles.  The Big 12 made a whole conference out of offense first teams. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2023, 01:56:18 PM »

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2023, 03:49:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like the strategy of being run first on offense. In the new era of NIL it will be very hard to get and/or keep a top level QB as they are more rare. Good running backs are much easier to find.

People forget we were very balanced on offense in 1999.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, HerdEcon

Offline elginherd

« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2023, 04:36:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like the strategy of being run first on offense. In the new era of NIL it will be very hard to get and/or keep a top level QB as they are more rare. Good running backs are much easier to find.

People forget we were very balanced on offense in 1999.

The big reason we were balanced is that we had a top level QB and receives who were big play threats.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, HerdEcon

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2023, 03:00:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, The E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2023, 03:00:49 PM »