Author Topic: Handlogten entered portal  (Read 11808 times)

Online svherd

Re: Handlogten entered portal
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2023, 07:44:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can you provide money to get players from the portal?
    Marshall doesn't have it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The Dantonis have it. Obviously didn't do us any good. They have screwed Marshall now. Hope everyone is happy.

DD needs to retire after next season. Or Spears will fire him.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, Flat Tire 2, herdfifteen, scope58

HerdFans.com

« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2023, 07:44:54 AM »

Online herd2win

« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2023, 08:02:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

You and others have stated the players have and will turn down money because they love playing for Dan and his system...that theory was clearly flawed.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, scope58

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2023, 08:28:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "Hate 'em if they ain't the Herd !!"
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, forphase1

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2023, 08:28:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I am not expert on NIL, but the money doesn't come from the school.
    https://en.as.com/ncaa/how-much-money-can-college-athletes-make-with-nil-marketing-endorsement-deals-n/

Listening to the ThunderCast in another thread, it seems Coach Huff is trying to raise money for NIL to help out his players? What is dd doing on to raise money for his team? I realize MU is not going to compete with the UK of the world, but in this day and time you need to do something even it is just a couple $100 per month.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Collis P

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2023, 08:38:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hear the defections may not be over. Wow

MU 71

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2023, 08:41:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Really, that is the narrative is that his dad is afraid of another skinny, tall kid coming here.
    You did see the teams Micah is hearing from (NC State, Florida, Virginia, etc.), but they are afraid of competition? Sure Sure

Sucks that Micah is leaving, hopefully this is a lesson to Danny that this isn't college ball from the 60s and loyalty does not exist with the portal and NIL. Have to consistently recruit and get the team better, and help move players that are not contributing so we do not have just "practice" players at the end of the bench.

Isn't that karma? Danny losing a kid because he was recruiting another tall skinny kid when all we heard was Danny didn't want to use the portal because he didn't want to make the freshman mad. Danny is all over the map in recruiting. Newsflash!! Just recruit the best players possible. Building 4 year teams is over. Now you build one to two year teams and use the portal. 129 is totally correct. Best bet is find the best d2 players and bring them in.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2023, 08:45:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You and others have stated the players have and will turn down money because they love playing for Dan and his system...that theory was clearly flawed.

It will get to the point that we aren't even expected to win. Danny is doing the best that anyone can do at Marshall so we need to just accept it will be the excuses. While other teams hire coaches that go to the final 4 lol!!! You just have to have a coach that works non stop and looks under every rock in every division.

The following users thanked this post: scope58

Offline muherd34

« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2023, 08:47:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

MU 71

Who else you hearing?

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2023, 08:47:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

MU 71

Oh I think the flood gates just opened. If you were Andy would you come back now? If he leaves then will Conor? But isn't it nice Spears and Smith have Danny that nice cushy 3 year deal?

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Online herd2win

« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2023, 08:53:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What are the chances all involved knew this was happening prior to the contract extension?  There would have even been more uproar as the Danny defenders said it was to see Conner and Micah through their career at MU.

The following users thanked this post: Herdiowa

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2023, 08:55:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The questions I'd like answers to are the following:

When did Danny know Handlogten was planning on transferring?

If he knew before he signed his 3-year extension.  Did he ask Handlogten to not announce his intentions before he signed the deal?

I thought it was strange that DD was recruiting another tall, skinny kid with his only remaining scholarship, when he clearly needed a guard, so now that Handlogten is gone, this makes me think that Danny knew this was coming, and he was recruiting Micah's replacement.  As others have pointed out, Micah's dads explanation as to why he is transferring doesn't hold water.  He is going to face much more competition for playing time at a P5 school, than he would have at Marshall.  This is about the NIL money these schools are offering them.   

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, jdonaccbus, chris88

Online herd2win

« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2023, 08:57:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Since we just lost Napolean maybe Dan can recruit Pedro?

The following users thanked this post: mu79grad

HerdFans.com

« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2023, 08:57:06 AM »

Offline NewfieHerdFan

« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2023, 08:59:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The portal (and NIL) have created a new world in athletics. Like Dan, I feel Huggins at WVU is another one who doesn't embrace/utilize the portal to their benefit. I'd be surprised if Huggins doesn't retire before too long. Teams need coaches who understand the portal and use it to their advantage. It's the way things are now. That's one thing about Huff I really like. He seems to understand the importance of the portal and has dedicated himself to learning how to navigate it.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2023, 09:14:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The portal (and NIL) have created a new world in athletics. Like Dan, I feel Huggins at WVU is another one who doesn't embrace/utilize the portal to their benefit. I'd be surprised if Huggins doesn't retire before too long. Teams need coaches who understand the portal and use it to their advantage. It's the way things are now. That's one thing about Huff I really like. He seems to understand the importance of the portal and has dedicated himself to learning how to navigate it.

The irony is that the portal would have been perfect for a coach like Tom Herrion who was constantly tinkering with his roster when he was at Marshall.

The following users thanked this post: NewfieHerdFan

Offline ru4mu2

« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2023, 09:22:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

If he knew before he signed his 3-year extension.  Did he ask Handlogten to not announce his intentions before he signed the deal?

I thought it was strange that DD was recruiting another tall, skinny kid with his only remaining scholarship, when he clearly needed a guard, so now that Handlogten is gone, this makes me think that Danny knew this was coming, and he was recruiting Micah's replacement.  As others have pointed out, Micah's dads explanation as to why he is transferring doesn't hold water.  He is going to face much more competition for playing time at a P5 school, than he would have at Marshall.  This is about the NIL money these schools are offering them.
    Since at least in Pensacola. 

The following users thanked this post: Rockin Herd Fan

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2023, 09:23:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm just going to throw my 2 cents in here, and I'll start by saying this.. I wish nothing bad on any Marshall player , transfer, etc... but in my eyes this is a bad move for MH. Skinny as a rail and regressed after the Southern Miss win at home. At times he looked lost which is typical of most freshman so take that for what it's worth. playing high major ball takes muscle and skill and heart. Unless he transforms into the hulk I imagine him struggling playing high major ball. The speed of the game is faster the guys are stronger. Unfortunately we did not got to see him against any high caliber opponents this season..just SBC teams where he got out muscled a lot. Whiteside has been the only big that could have transferred up and immediate impact.

As far as the Marshall basketball program goes... This is a loss that cannot be replaced in mid major level basketball. Might sound crazy because of what I said in the above paragraph, but 7'1 kids who have potential to impact the game on both ends don't come around in the SBC or any other small conference. This is a devastating blow to Herd basketball. Losing the SBC POY and FOY in the same year with not much promise on the bench is detrimental. Dan can only coach who he has here and those are the same guys we have to root for, but the horizon is dark unless something changes.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Flat Tire 2, wlf, Rockin Herd Fan

Online herd1990

« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2023, 09:26:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Micah should stay

This is his level to develop

Won't play or will get destroyed at Auburn

Agree.  Someone has filled his head with NBA hype and his pocket with dollar bills.  The young man is not a physical presence.  Maybe he will get tougher and stronger but he will certainly be in over his head in the SEC, Big 10 or ACC.  I know times have changed but I despise the fact we gave him a platform to prove himself, then he bolts.  The days of loyalty, honor and commitment have been replaced by instant gratification, big checks and selfish ideologies.  It's ruined my passion for the college game.

The following users thanked this post: whf, wlf

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2023, 09:27:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Great post and dead on.. I really believe this is what happened. If so, Spears should be furious if he was told I need three years to keep these 3 freshman.

Offline Collis P

« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2023, 09:29:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

As others have pointed out, Micah's dads explanation as to why he is transferring doesn't hold water.  He is going to face much more competition for playing time at a P5 school, than he would have at Marshall.  This is about the NIL money these schools are offering them.

I agree -  He is leaving for 3 reasons:  NIL money - Better exposure  -  And most importantly, a coaching staff that can teach him the post position!!

S M I L E -

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, parshall2marshall, herdorbust2

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2023, 09:30:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Plain and simple. Dan's next two scholarships have to be home runs.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Rockin Herd Fan

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2023, 09:30:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree.  Someone has filled his head with NBA hype and his pocket with dollar bills.  The young man is not a physical presence.  Maybe he will get tougher and stronger but he will certainly be in over his head in the SEC, Big 10 or ACC.  I know times have changed but I despise the fact we gave him a platform to prove himself, then he bolts.  The days of loyalty, honor and commitment have been replaced by instant gratification, big checks and selfish ideologies.  It's ruined my passion for the college game.

Didn't Micah's father play college ball at WMU and a few years in the NBA. Since his father has that experience, I would bet he had a lot of input on the decision to transfer. Plus a lot of schools that are interested in him are schools he might have never been accepted if he was not a basketball player. Maybe his family is thinking he could get a degree from a very good academic institution? A degree from a very good college can set you up for life.
    « Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 09:36:44 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2023, 09:31:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree.  Someone has filled his head with NBA hype and his pocket with dollar bills.  The young man is not a physical presence.  Maybe he will get tougher and stronger but he will certainly be in over his head in the SEC, Big 10 or ACC.  I know times have changed but I despise the fact we gave him a platform to prove himself, then he bolts.  The days of loyalty, honor and commitment have been replaced by instant gratification, big checks and selfish ideologies.  It's ruined my passion for the college game.

Someone needs to tell Danny loyalty is gone. That is how he recruits. He still thinks it's 1969 and can't see how and what it takes in todays game. And another thing you have to have is energy and a lot of it.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2023, 09:31:38 AM »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2023, 09:33:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Plain and simple. Dan's next two scholarships have to be home runs.

Might I add home runs with lots of experience.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2023, 09:46:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Since we just lost Napolean maybe Dan can recruit Pedro?
    Thank you.  I thought I was the only one who saw this 😂😂😂

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2023, 09:53:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Head Coach position in college has become a recruiters game.  You are always recruiting because you do not know who will be around next year.  If Dan doesn?t like recruiting or refuses to step up to it he really does need to retire.

Secondly the novelty of Mike and Danny?s system has worn off.  In case you didn?t notice almost every team in the NCAA tourney is running a version of it.  When we made our last NCAA tourney our offensive approach was unique but is no longer the case.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, whf, wlf, Rockin Herd Fan, herdfan129, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2023, 09:53:58 AM »