Author Topic: Handlogten entered portal  (Read 11805 times)

Offline mu79grad

Re: Handlogten entered portal
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2023, 10:18:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If this is true about Micah, next season is looking brutal. Dan should have retired when he was on top.

I agree Bop, Danny should indeed have retired immediately after WVU ended our season in 2018!

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, Johns1124, Flat Tire 2, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2023, 10:18:28 PM »

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2023, 10:21:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If this is true about Micah, next season is looking brutal. Dan should have retired when he was on top.

So sad for dd. I wonder if the reality of college basketball has hit him? Change/adapt or lose.
    « Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 09:04:40 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #52 on: March 30, 2023, 10:28:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In talking to a few people that were in Pensacola this was known there amongst a lot of the player parents.

Wow

So that means DD knew

Should have retired after this season

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, parshall2marshall, svherd, HoPPy785, herdorbust2

Online HoPPy785

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2023, 10:40:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I thought it was said that part of why DD wanted to keep coaching was to be there for Micah's career, or was it Conner's?

I figured it would be very hard to keep Micah but bought into the assurance on the board. This is no bueno. We better be throwing bags of money at Taylor right now or sh*t is really going to hit the fan.

The following users thanked this post: MicDrass1, herdorbust2

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2023, 10:41:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Say players want you to stay to get cash but really know opposite.  HC is smart. 

Offline whf

« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2023, 10:44:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They would not have rolled us. Very likely we would have beat them during year. At end when they were hot? Maybe not. During season we would have beat them. Everyone beats Purdue in ncaa tournament. Wake up bust they have lost to a 13, a 15, and a 16 seed in last three tournaments. Maybe pay a little attention to things instead of trying to cherry pick arguments for your sky is falling all the time theory. If guards were so good why did they finish third in NEC to not one but two transitioning d2 schools? Can you explain tha  Thit?
    Are you DD's nephew or something?  Even when folks' logic is near yours, you still object to it.

This move clearly shows the DD's home spun attitude toward loyalty and forever sons of Marshall is passe'.  He is out of touch and this proves it.  There is an old saying that goes something like this, "you want loyalty, get a dog".  It applies to NCAA athletics today and has for at least nearly a decade.  Sure hope he learns that he isn't a father or grandfather, his accountbility is to work his axx off to win basketball games at Marshall through the most legally competitive path he can.
    « Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 10:47:13 PM by whf »

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, svherd, Collis P, Flat Tire 2, coalherd, herdorbust2

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2023, 10:55:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am hoping this is finally the eye-opener to Dan. It is time to adapt to the times. His vision of recruiting players for four years and hoping they come back to Marshall games for decades to come is not much of a reality any more. I am with Dan in that I don't like the portal and transfer rules....but my feelings don't matter.....the portal is here.

Dan now needs to hit the portal and let players know that he had the "Player of the Year" in the conference this year along with the "Freshmen of the Year". He needs to tell portal players that they are moving on and he has slots open. He can let them know that they can earn these type of honors at Marshall. He needs to show portal players that he had two 1st-team all conference players this year. He needs to let portal players know that he runs a wide open offense. It is simply time for Dan to let his assistants work the portal more and more.

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, parshall2marshall, whf, chris88, herdorbust2

Offline thunderingon

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2023, 10:56:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This news is like Christmas morning for Bust. He?s so happy. We all knew this was a possibility. Small-mid major programs are like the minor leagues for the bigger schools. They don?t have to recruit high schools hard anymore. But the portal can work really well in reverse as well as we have seen this year.  It sucks that there isn?t much loyalty, but it is what it is.

Offline Gaylen

« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2023, 11:00:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Am I wrong but my understanding of the portal is that an athlete does not have to leave sort of like the NBA draft.
    Maybe Handlogten will reconsider.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2023, 11:08:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Should have put a better team around Kinsey. This was the year. The portal isn't going away.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, forphase1, parshall2marshall, wlf, herdorbust2

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2023, 11:24:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Should have taken a portal player last year instead of his sorry ass.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2023, 11:30:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This news is like Christmas morning for Bust. He?s so happy. We all knew this was a possibility. Small-mid major programs are like the minor leagues for the bigger schools. They don?t have to recruit high schools hard anymore. But the portal can work really well in reverse as well as we have seen this year.  It sucks that there isn?t much loyalty, but it is what it is.

Yes I'm ecstatic we lost the FOY that was 7'1". You know what I am ecstatic about? It proves Danny is totally out of touch in todays recruiting game. You hold onto 4-5 guys that can't play and start losing your starters=disaster!!! It's not rocket science. Danny is trying to relive the past and the way it was done then but those days are gone. Like someone else said. I hate the portal and NIL but it's here and you have to adapt. It's why I've been screaming to get the best players possible from the portal, Juco or wherever and quit worrying about upsetting 3 freshman. You move kids along that won't play and try and out recruit your starters. As WHF said, stop trying to be their father or grandfather and be their coach.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2023, 11:30:29 PM »

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2023, 12:23:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Collis P

Offline MUonium

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2023, 01:51:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • someone said recently something like 11 of 12 players were returning.  well, i guess that one was Micah, haha

also, no wonder Gingeleski was offered when he was

who's next?

if DD doesn't use the portal, we are screwed.  i wonder if he'll redefine the word loyal?

if we can't compete in the SBC, it might be the last straw for a lot of fans

at least the whole day wasn't a total bust- loser trump INDICTED.  hopefully, he's found guilty if he committed crimes!

Offline whf

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2023, 02:33:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Am I wrong but my understanding of the portal is that an athlete does not have to leave sort of like the NBA draft.
    Maybe Handlogten will reconsider.
    Not exactly correct, but it is possible to stay; the coach has to accept you back once you declare.  You are officially gone once you declare, until you are accepted back.  If you withdraw your name, there is no obligation for the school to take you back. The declaration is a voluntary voiding of all previous arrangements...

Offline coalherd

« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2023, 02:59:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• FDU would have rolled us. Very fun team with good guards that beat Purdue. Who did we beat?

Cmon bust!  Remember, we played Queens tough, . . . . and on the road, too!!

Offline coalherd

« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2023, 03:07:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Lmao!!! This has to be the dumbest post ever. He needs to start from scratch after being here 9 years? Wow just wow!!!!

LMAO!! This frigging Maroon, bust, apparently is oblivious to the fact that about every other D1 school in the country which cares about its basketball program would have quickly USHERED OUT THE DOOR its Head Basketball Coach who has to build his program from scratch, i.e., from the ground up in season TEN, but it's OK to do so at MARSHALL!!
    « Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 03:32:33 AM by coalherd »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2023, 03:36:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• This Stevie Wonder look is SO appropriate since Danny D. continues to be TOTALLY BLIND as to how D1 College Basketball operates in 2023!!

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, DC01HERD

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2023, 04:26:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Need Herdmeister or someone close to help out here.  I thought his family loved Dan and part if the 3 year deal had to do with Dan wanting to see these guys through.

What is the plan now?  Hopefully this opens Dans eyes to the portal.
    Can you provide money to get players from the portal?
    Marshall doesn't have it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2023, 04:27:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Seriously doubt we had the money to compete on this one.  This will happen more and more.  We have to play the game as well.
    True.

----Lou Gehrig

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2023, 04:31:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I believe that the thought of signing  Gingeleski upset his dad. It was in no way going to cut down on Micah's playing time.
    Danny had full expected to play them together at the 4 and 5.

----Lou Gehrig

Online MUfan08

« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2023, 05:13:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I believe that the thought of signing  Gingeleski upset his dad. It was in no way going to cut down on Micah's playing time.

Really, that is the narrative is that his dad is afraid of another skinny, tall kid coming here.
    You did see the teams Micah is hearing from (NC State, Florida, Virginia, etc.), but they are afraid of competition? Sure Sure

Sucks that Micah is leaving, hopefully this is a lesson to Danny that this isn't college ball from the 60s and loyalty does not exist with the portal and NIL. Have to consistently recruit and get the team better, and help move players that are not contributing so we do not have just "practice" players at the end of the bench.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, DC01HERD, Johns1124

HerdFans.com

« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2023, 05:13:36 AM »

Offline wlf

« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2023, 05:17:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Expect more of the same in the future. You can't out recruit anyone anymore. Universities must collectively bargain the NCAA to stop the hoarding of college sports revenues by those in power.

I'll wallow in misery while watching the Reds this summer, another team of mine fallen prey to fiscal restraints. Money pretty much ruins everything.

March Madness will turn into March Sadness.

Offline wlf

« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2023, 05:23:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

It was tenuous at best all along then. It will become , shoot we're already there, "they're too good to recruit ". I'm so, so cynical now and I hate it.

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2023, 06:17:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What got Kurfman here from the portal? Dan needed to get two more serviceable players from the portal last year. Kinsey, true son of Marshall, didn't get the help he needed to compete for a chance to play in the tourney. Instead he kept players that can't contribute at the D1 level. Players want to play in the NCAA Tournament.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

HerdFans.com

« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2023, 06:17:18 AM »