Author Topic: MBB Transfer Portal Update  (Read 25149 times)

Online herdorbust2

Re: MBB Transfer Portal Update
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2022, 09:16:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I still think it's gonna take more than one transfer to turn our fortunes around. We'll see.

Me too. Need a big to replace out starting five spot.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, miltonherdfan

HerdFans.com

« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2022, 09:16:26 AM »

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2022, 09:21:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why didn?t Scottie Pippin and Charles Oakley go D1? There are many reasons that can happen. But in your mind if we aren?t recruiting against high caliber players that are being recruited by high mid majors or the blue bloods they can?t be good? How did Elmore turn out? He went to VmI to start with and I never saw any blue bloods after him. CJ Burks? How did the kid Ja Morant end up at Murray St instead of a blue blood? He is tearing up the NBA. Make no mistake that kids get over looked just like coaches. There are guys out there right now that are the next great coach and may never get that chance. Tell me who on our roster right now is better than John Williams that was first team MEC last 2 years avg 28 as junior and 25 as senior? Only 3 guys would even have an argument to be made. Kinsey, Andrew and Obinna. And he very well may be better than all 3. So yes, I would say it would be a huge upgrade to our roster. Now get a big long athletic kid in the same mold and let?s play ball.

In the case of Oakley, I know the details since I lived in RVA where VA Union is located. I saw him play in college. It was a grade issue for him. Div 2 has or had lower eligibility requirements. I fairly sure that was the same issue with Jim Davidson when he went to Concord and then transferred to MU.

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2022, 09:25:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The difference is that Donnan and Pruett out-recruited bigger schools for a lot of their recruits.  Danny tends to pick low hanging fruit when it comes to recruiting.  Look at the offer list for the majority of the recruits he's landed over his time at Marshall.  It's been a lot of lower level D1 schools.

Good point. I just hope will he recruit a player with some meat on his bones who can bang with other players under the basket.

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2022, 09:38:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm just hoping we can get this guy before other schools come in. The longer this drags out, the less l like our chances. Don't forget Dan is looking at two others in the portal.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2022, 09:40:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In the case of Oakley, I know the details since I lived in RVA where VA Union is located. I saw him play in college. It was a grade issue for him. Div 2 has or had lower eligibility requirements. I fairly sure that was the same issue with Jim Davidson when he went to Concord and then transferred to MU.

There are always reasons. If you don?t think this kid can play then I don?t know what to tell you. Even the people that are on here that has seen him play many times knows he is the real deal. It?s not hard to see he would easily start for us. The name of the game is to upgrade your talent and this is a BIG upgrade for us.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2022, 09:41:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm just hoping we can get this guy before other schools come in. The longer this drags out, the less l like our chances. Don't forget Dan is looking at two others in the portal.

Danny has been known to drag his feet and lose them. I know we offered but the staff needs to be relentless.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Buffalo Bop

Offline svherd

« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2022, 09:43:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Danny has been known to drag his feet and lose them. I know we offered but the staff needs to be relentless.

Agree. For the situation being what it is, the staff never seems to have a sense of urgency. jmho

We need to be looking at a dozen or so kids, not just 2 or 3.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, herdorbust2

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2022, 10:01:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There are always reasons. If you don?t think this kid can play then I don?t know what to tell you. Even the people that are on here that has seen him play many times knows he is the real deal. It?s not hard to see he would easily start for us. The name of the game is to upgrade your talent and this is a BIG upgrade for us.

I never said that he couldn't play. I was just pointing out that his only current offers, besides MU, were from low level basketball schools located in New York and Connecticut. He must be know by other coaches around the country if he has offers from the Northeastern US. I would think he is not under the radar. I would think that coaches in the Southeast and the Midwest are aware of him. Maybe some MAC schools will show some interest?

The following users thanked this post: pembrook burrows III

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2022, 10:04:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I never said that he couldn't play. I was just pointing out that his only current offers, besides MU, were from low level basketball schools located in New York and Connecticut. He must be know by other coaches around the country if he has offers from the Northeastern US. I would think he is not under the radar. I would think that coaches in the Southeast and the Midwest are aware of him. Maybe some MAC schools will show some interest?

I hope nobody else shows interest lol. Because I want him.

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, herdfan129

Online herd2win

« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2022, 10:19:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bust is using exceptions and not the rule for recruiting in hoping this guy is Scottie Pippen.  Dan did not clear the deck as what was needed and when you only have ONE opening you have to reach higher.

We need a difference maker and not another Kinsey at this point.  Give me a proven 3 point shooter who has a history of over 40% every year with a large amount of attempts.

Offline svherd

« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2022, 10:39:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As a side note - WVU has lost 9 players to graduation or the portal since their season ended. Wow!

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2022, 10:42:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bust is using exceptions and not the rule for recruiting in hoping this guy is Scottie Pippen.  Dan did not clear the deck as what was needed and when you only have ONE opening you have to reach higher.

We need a difference maker and not another Kinsey at this point.  Give me a proven 3 point shooter who has a history of over 40% every year with a large amount of attempts.

I never said he was Pippin. But if you can?t see that this kid can flat out play then you are blind. And if you think we are going to get better tha him just because a kid comes from a D1 program then you aren?t thinking straight. There are a lot of D2 kids out there that can flat out play. I do agree that Danny should be sending more packing but that has nothing to do with this kid. If they can get him they better do it and then have a celebration party. I think you need two difference makers and he would be one of them.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2022, 10:42:24 AM »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2022, 10:44:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As a side note - WVU has lost 9 players to graduation or the portal since their season ended. Wow!

Huggins has lost his way. The game has passed his micromanaged offensive philosophy by.

Offline MUonium

« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2022, 10:51:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i try to imagine how Williams would compete night in and night out against us, any CUSA/SBC team or D1 mid. 

as far as comparing him to Kinsey, i see the temptation.  Kinsey appears to be the better leaper overall.  Williams appears (at his level of competition) to be the better ball handler, more connected to the ball.  again, keeping competition level in mind (being reasonably cautious), Williams appears to be more aggressive or decisive concerning getting the ball in the hoop, however that is accomplished. 
    can't tell about D but we all know the importance if someone might be in the top 5 in minutes.

it's really difficult to decide which might be better; a high stats DII or a mid stats D1 player??

i do wonder how many transfer players the staff actually will contact.  i agree the staff should have a dozen or more players they initially consider/contact.  "hey, we're looking at you, keep us in mind" or whatever

Online herdthatandrew

« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2022, 10:52:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He's certainly a different player than Kinsey. Williams is athletic but he isn't quite that caliber of athlete. He seems to be able to score on all three levels. Which is more than we can say for any of our current guys. What he does translates. I think he's a good pickup. BUT, he can't be the only one. We have to see more roster reshuffling IMO

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, herd33, miltonherdfan, herdfan129, herdorbust2

Offline MUonium

« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2022, 10:55:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huggins has lost his way. The game has passed his micromanaged offensive philosophy by.

if we're honest, you can't deny he has had some bounce-back recruiting years though.  like or dislike him, he's a very good, if not great coach and a likely hall of famer

The following users thanked this post: svherd, chris88, miltonherdfan

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2022, 10:59:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • at what point do we pretty much give up hope of anyone else transferring out & opening up more scholarships?

IIRC, player year-end interviews were held last wk where futures would've been discussed.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2022, 11:11:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • at what point do we pretty much give up hope of anyone else transferring out & opening up more scholarships?

IIRC, player year-end interviews were held last wk where futures would've been discussed.

Agree and it?s unacceptable. There needs to be at the very least one more opening and maybe two. But with our lack of ability to sign good players maybe they are afraid to open it up knowing they can?t fill it?

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, forphase1, herdfan129

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2022, 11:18:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree and it?s unacceptable. There needs to be at the very least one more opening and maybe two. But with our lack of ability to sign good players maybe they are afraid to open it up knowing they can?t fill it?

I had this very thought. 

Offline forphase1

« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2022, 11:20:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If we get this guy, I hope he comes in and plays well and leads us back to winning basketball.  However I'm not very hopeful based on the other schools currently interested in him.  If he's the kind of talent some here are talking him up to being, then I expect to have some stiffer competition for his services than Wagner.  And yeah, I get the Pennington and Leftwich examples, but both Penny and Lefty were largely unknowns who became great players, diamonds in the rough.  This guy has already performed really well and it's out there for everyone to see.  His talent has been shown, albeit against 'lesser' competition. 

Let's Go Herd! 

Final Rankings: 1999 - #10 (AP & ESPN), #12 (BCS); 2001 - #21 (ESPN); 2002 - #24 (AP), #19 (ESPN), 2014 - #22 (coaches), #23 (AP)

Championships: 1925 WVIAC, 1928 WVIAC, 1931 WVIAC, 1937 Buckeye Conference, 1988 Southern Conference, 1992 I-AA, 1994 Southern Conference, 1996 Southern Conference, 1996 I-AA (15-0), 1997 MAC, 1998 MAC, 1998 Motor City, 1999 MAC (13-0), 1999 Motor City, 2000 MAC, 2000 Motor City, 2001 GMAC, 2002 MAC, 2002 GMAC, 2009 Pizza Bowl, 2011 Beef O Brady Bowl, 2013 Military Bowl, 2014 Boca Raton Bowl, 2015 St. Petersburg Bowl, 2017 New Mexico Bowl, 2018 Gasparilla Bowl.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, MUonium

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2022, 11:30:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If we get this guy, I hope he comes in and plays well and leads us back to winning basketball.  However I'm not very hopeful based on the other schools currently interested in him.  If he's the kind of talent some here are talking him up to being, then I expect to have some stiffer competition for his services than Wagner.  And yeah, I get the Pennington and Leftwich examples, but both Penny and Lefty were largely unknowns who became great players, diamonds in the rough.  This guy has already performed really well and it's out there for everyone to see.  His talent has been shown, albeit against 'lesser' competition.

Simple question for you or anyone else. Tell me who on our team can move, handle, finish and look this good on video even against D2 competition? Tell me the guys we have that could have made this video? Again I say the only 3 that would even be in the running would be Kinsey, Andrew and Obinna. Now maybe the kid is a head case or something. But I doubt it since Danny eliminates 80% of the recruiting base because of this.

Offline forphase1

« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2022, 11:51:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't know, I've never seen any of our guys play day to day against D2 competition, except in practice of course!  (I'm joking before anyone takes offense!).  Highlight videos are exactly that, highlights.  We've all seen highlight films of guys we recruit in any sport that once they get on campus they don't live up to the highlight films.  As I said earlier, I hope he comes in and performs as advertised.  But it does worry me that at this point his only known offers are Wagner and Quinnipiac.  This isn't a hidden talent, a diamond in the rough, or someone we discovered who was hidden from everyone else.  This is a successful D2 player, one any program can easily know about and offer if they think he can help them.  To this point only Wagner and Quinnipiac has done so.  That raises a red flag for me. 

Let's Go Herd! 

Final Rankings: 1999 - #10 (AP & ESPN), #12 (BCS); 2001 - #21 (ESPN); 2002 - #24 (AP), #19 (ESPN), 2014 - #22 (coaches), #23 (AP)

Championships: 1925 WVIAC, 1928 WVIAC, 1931 WVIAC, 1937 Buckeye Conference, 1988 Southern Conference, 1992 I-AA, 1994 Southern Conference, 1996 Southern Conference, 1996 I-AA (15-0), 1997 MAC, 1998 MAC, 1998 Motor City, 1999 MAC (13-0), 1999 Motor City, 2000 MAC, 2000 Motor City, 2001 GMAC, 2002 MAC, 2002 GMAC, 2009 Pizza Bowl, 2011 Beef O Brady Bowl, 2013 Military Bowl, 2014 Boca Raton Bowl, 2015 St. Petersburg Bowl, 2017 New Mexico Bowl, 2018 Gasparilla Bowl.

The following users thanked this post: wlf

HerdFans.com

« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2022, 11:51:58 AM »

Offline MUonium

« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2022, 11:53:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Simple question for you or anyone else. Tell me who on our team can move, handle, finish and look this good on video even against D2 competition? Tell me the guys we have that could have made this video?Again I say the only 3 that would even be in the running would be Kinsey, Andrew and Obinna. Now maybe the kid is a head case or something. But I doubt it since Danny eliminates 80% of the recruiting base because of this.

Bust, for me it HAS to be a more thorough body of work to answer your questions.  i whole-heartedly believe that most of they guys he goes up against for 30+ games are definitely inferior to what Herd faces.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2022, 12:30:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bust, for me it HAS to be a more thorough body of work to answer your questions.  i whole-heartedly believe that most of they guys he goes up against for 30+ games are definitely inferior to what Herd faces.

So you really think that Marco, Goran, Mckey, Toussaint etc can do the things he is doing against that same competition? Reverse layups, athletic dunks, speed and quickness with the ball slicing into the lane? Come on!!!!

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline pembrook burrows III

« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2022, 12:31:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I stand by my original scouting report based upon a more in-depth look at Williams' career statistics. Williams is an athletic scorer who concrete his own shot, rebound, and play hard for lots of minutes. Our backcourt is lacking in the type of talent he could bring. His two primary weaknesses are his outside shooting and his ballhandling/decision-making, as evidenced by his career stats below:

TEAM                3FGA  3FGM  PCT   ASSISTS  TURNOVERS  A-T RATIO
    Ventura CC        34      106    .321   36           60                0.60
    Barton CC         35       127    .276   26           38                0.68
    Glenville St.       42      105    .400   31           36                0.86
    Glenville St.       66      219    .301   110         107              1.03
    TOTALS             177     557    .318   203         241              0.84

As a three point shooter, Williams' percentage is equal to Obinna, but below Taylor, Early, and Sarenac.

As a ball handler/decision-maker, the A-T Ratio of Kinsey was 1.56, of Taylor was 1.45, and of Beyers was 0.85.

Because he sat out the 2019-2020 year working on his grades to become eligible to play in D2, this will be Williams' sixth post-secondary year. That would make him about 24 years old, and he would definitely bring that "grown man" body to Huntington. I believe Williams is good enough to step up in competition to the mid-major level, but he would not solve Marshall's need for a point guard or for better three point shooting. That would have to come from other potential transfers.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, chris88, wlf, MUonium, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2022, 12:31:34 PM »