Author Topic: Interesting find about future SBC opponent Georgia State and football stadium  (Read 836 times)

Offline JEP3rd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • While looking around at football stadiums of future Marshall opponents in the Sun Belt conference, I came across some interesting info about Georgia State.

Their football stadium is the old Turner Field in Atlanta that Georgia State bought for $30 million and renovated. It can seat 24,000+ for football as of now, with eventual capacity to 32,000 and some pics of it to me make it seem that they can seat more if needed. A few years ago, ironically, their field was named after a key business leader.

The design looks nice, and would seem to show really nicely on TV with a capacity crowd, hope Marshall can deliver that by the time conference play starts. And... this article seems to indicate some of the same student problems at games that Marshall now has, and suggests some solutions for them that just might transfer our way as well. I'm hoping Georgia State is a sleeping giant in the Sun Belt as far as future competition, and getting some regular rankings. Going to Atlanta makes for a nice fall destination.

Until I looked around at info on them, I didn't know Georgia State was the largest university institution in the entire state, eclipsing both the University of Georgia and Georgia Tech. Wipedia says they have 54,000 students, making them one of the top 10 largest in the country. And, they are a R1 Carnegie classification school.

Here's the article, and a look at its stadium in another following article. it's three years old, hope some find it a worthwhile read.

https://georgiastatesignal.com/georgia-state-is-winning-but-not-with-student-in-the-stands/#:~:text=The%20bottom%20line%20is%20that,and%20solve%20the%20attendance%20conundrum.

https://footballstadiumdigest.com/2018/08/georgia-state-stadium-and-growth-of-football-program/

« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 04:38:41 PM by JEP3rd »

The following users thanked this post: chris88, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

Offline HoPPy785

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • All of these reasons are what make me wonder if they get the AAC call when Memphis goes. If they got it, would they go?

Offline coalherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • People in ATL have indicated to me that the stadium is not located in the most desirous part of town, when it comes to the crime rate, etc.  ONE factor in why the Braves moved the location of their new stadium/ball park to a different locale.  Not sure if GA State plays many home games at night or not, but they would be a thing to consider, IMO.

Offline Kwherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?m an Atlanta Braves fan, can you say WORLD CHAMPS, and have Beto many games at Turner field. Turner Field actually sits outside of town and requires bus transportation to get there. There is nothing out there with the stadium except a couple of hotels, the parking lot and the stadium. That?s why the Braves moved to Cobb county. The stadium itsself was very nice and was built for the Olympic but just not conducive to a good game day atmosphere because of being out by itsself.

The following users thanked this post: Big Ol' Hillbilly, chris88

Offline MUther

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • All of these reasons are what make me wonder if they get the AAC call when Memphis goes. If they got it, would they go?

They very much tried to go this last round.  Put on their best make-up and skimpiest dress.

Offline coalherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?m an Atlanta Braves fan, can you say WORLD CHAMPS, and have Beto many games at Turner field. Turner Field actually sits outside of town and requires bus transportation to get there. There is nothing out there with the stadium except a couple of hotels, the parking lot and the stadium. That?s why the Braves moved to Cobb county. The stadium itsself was very nice and was built for the Olympic but just not conducive to a good game day atmosphere because of being out by itsself.

Remember going to Braves games at Turner.  Also, it did seem that there was plenty of parking around the Stadium then (its been a few decades ago).  Perhaps what I was referring to was more about where the main campus is located.  Not sure where that is exactly, but assume that GSU would want to play in a football stadium "nearby" for many reasons, including convenience.  Think MU baseball and the Kennedy Center if you need an explanation,  :)
    « Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 11:47:19 PM by coalherd »

Offline herdinphilly

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    What does that mean??? You can't drive your vehicle there?

Offline Big Ol' Hillbilly

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • People in ATL have indicated to me that the stadium is not located in the most desirous part of town, when it comes to the crime rate, etc.  ONE factor in why the Braves moved the location of their new stadium/ball park to a different locale.  Not sure if GA State plays many home games at night or not, but they would be a thing to consider, IMO.

This is true. I?m a Braves fan and I went to several games at Turner field. It?s definitely in a shady part of town.

Offline sportswatcher247

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Practice Squad
    • Member Since 12/2011
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I attended several Braves  games at the former Turner Field. I never encountered any issues whatsoever. There is an ample amount of parking on site for games. The lots are literally across the road from used to be centerfield.

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • This is true. I?m a Braves fan and I went to several games at Turner field. It?s definitely in a shady part of town.

That's crap. It's only two miles from the Falcons' stadium and is in easy distance from downtown.  I'd be more fearful walking in parts of Huntington and Charleston.

Offline The E-Man

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That's crap. It's only two miles from the Falcons' stadium and is in easy distance from downtown.  I'd be more fearful walking in parts of Huntington and Charleston.

I can assure you, Huntington's crime doesn't compare to Atlanta's. Have you ever heard of or seen a major crime doing any sporting event here in Huntington???? That includes Marshall, Huntington High, etc.. People after Herd games park and walk near the hood and there hasn't been one incident of someone getting robbed or beaten. Huntington crimes stem from drug use and it's dealers.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, svherd, Buffalo Bop, coalherd, herdfan129

Offline herdfan129

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I can assure you, Huntington's crime doesn't compare to Atlanta's. Have you ever heard of or seen a major crime doing any sporting event here in Huntington???? That includes Marshall, Huntington High, etc.. People after Herd games park and walk near the hood and there hasn't been one incident of someone getting robbed or beaten. Huntington crimes stem from drug use and it's dealers.

Huntington is much nicer than we all give it credit for....myself included.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: svherd, whf, The E-Man

HerdFans.com

Offline longtimeherdfan

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huntington is much nicer than we all give it credit for....myself included.

Depends on which aspect of the city being discussed.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Online svherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That's crap. It's only two miles from the Falcons' stadium and is in easy distance from downtown.  I'd be more fearful walking in parts of Huntington and Charleston.

lol! I hate Atlanta. You can't walk half a block downtown without being asked for money or a smoke. Olympic Park has become little San Francisco of the east.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline Big Ol' Hillbilly

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Say what you want, but I never felt comfortable there. Wouldn?t want to walk around alone at night that?s for sure. And not sure if it was your intent or not, but if you were thinking you were going to rile me up by insulting Huntington and Charleston, I?m not one of those posters. Moved away a long time ago and have done my share of riling up other posters on this forum on that subject.

Offline coalherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I can assure you, Huntington's crime doesn't compare to Atlanta's. Have you ever heard of or seen a major crime doing any sporting event here in Huntington???? That includes Marshall, Huntington High, etc.. People after Herd games park and walk near the hood and there hasn't been one incident of someone getting robbed or beaten. Huntington crimes stem from drug use and it's dealers.

E-Man, for all the years in the 60s while at MU, I and hundreds (thousands) of MU students would WALK from campus out 16th Street, across 8th Avenue, etc., all the way to Fairfield Stadium for HERD NIGHT football games, and then walk back to campus the same way, and I don't recall of any "problems", bad "incidents", with anyone in the area, etc. 

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline banker

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Two miles is an eternity in a large city when it comes to crime.  Most nice areas are lucky to have a six block transition buffer from good to okay to bad. 12th street borders the park here.  Are you as comfortable on 18th Street as you are 12th?  We just had a shooting on 19th the other day.

Offline herdfan429

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Nothing in Atlanta proper is a ?good? part of town

Offline bighat

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I went to Atlanta for the Olympics and was treated great everywhere.

Online svherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I went to Atlanta for the Olympics and was treated great everywhere.

A lot changes in 25 years.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

HerdFans.com