Author Topic: Here?s what our new conference home may look like......  (Read 985 times)

Offline OhioCatFan

Re: Here?s what our new conference home may look like......
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2021, 10:49:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • East
    App. St....................................Boone, NC
    Coastal Carolina.....................Conway, SC
    Marshall..................................Huntington, WV
    Old Dominion..........................Norfolk, Va
    James Madison......................Harrisonburg, Va
    Georgia Southern..................Statesboro, Ga
    Georgia State........................Atlanta, Ga

West
    Arkansas St............................Jonesboro, AR
    South Alabama.......................Mobile, AL
    Troy..........................................Troy, AL
    Southern Miss........................Hattiesburg,MS
    Texas State............................San Marcos, TX
    Louisiana...............................Lafayette, LA
    UL Monroe.............................Monroe, LA

I hope this is not what happens, for admitedly selfish reasons.  I'd like to see Marshall and Ohio back in the same league.  It's the most natural rivalry and the fact that we are not playing every year now is a crying shame.  What about a revamped MAC that would include both WKU and Marshall?  Maybe MTSU, also.  It would be nice if we could also dump Akron and EMU at the same time.  Any chance of that happeining? 
    Each fall I bleed two shades of green. Never forget Nov. 14, 1970.  Please consider a donation to the Jeff Nathan Sportswriting Scholarship.  Jeff was the sports editor of The Parthenon who was killed in the plane crash. I was co-adviser of the paper that year.  See details about the scholarship here: https://www.facebook.com/jeffnathanmemorial/?notif_id=1632663866180053&notif_t=page_user_activity&ref=notif

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2021, 10:49:51 AM »

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2021, 10:51:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• If we moved with the very schools we wanted rid of Texas schools to a conference that has been already raised then I would be done. Thank God we wasnt with that bunch.

I don't get this argument. The CUSA Texas schools were in the west...we may play them 1 game a year. The Sun Belt has bad Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas schools in the West too that are basically just as far away. You are glad to get rid and away from them in CUSA but are ecstatic to rejoin the same types of programs and LOCATIONS in the Sun Belt. I don't get it.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline forphase1

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2021, 11:00:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't get this argument. The CUSA Texas schools were in the west...we may play them 1 game a year. The Sun Belt has bad Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas schools in the West too that are basically just as far away. You are glad to get rid and away from them in CUSA but are ecstatic to rejoin the same types of programs and LOCATIONS in the Sun Belt. I don't get it.

The problem wasn't JUST that there were so many crappy Texas teams in CUSA (UTEP, NT, UTSA and Rice), so we are going from 4 Texas schools to 1, either in CUSA OR SB, but the Texas centric focus that CUSA has had since 2012 or so.  Don't forget screwing us over in favor of Rice, the headquarters being there, and putting our basketball championship there every year., and bowl selections.  One of the frustrations with the Texas schools is how much favoritism they seemed to get, at least in regards to the eastern schools.  Hopefully now, one way or the other, the eastern side will get more attention and fair treatment, either in a revamped CUSA or in the Sun Belt, wherever we end up.

Let's Go Herd! 

Final Rankings: 1999 - #10 (AP & ESPN), #12 (BCS); 2001 - #21 (ESPN); 2002 - #24 (AP), #19 (ESPN), 2014 - #22 (coaches), #23 (AP)

Championships: 1925 WVIAC, 1928 WVIAC, 1931 WVIAC, 1937 Buckeye Conference, 1988 Southern Conference, 1992 I-AA, 1994 Southern Conference, 1996 Southern Conference, 1996 I-AA (15-0), 1997 MAC, 1998 MAC, 1998 Motor City, 1999 MAC (13-0), 1999 Motor City, 2000 MAC, 2000 Motor City, 2001 GMAC, 2002 MAC, 2002 GMAC, 2009 Pizza Bowl, 2011 Beef O Brady Bowl, 2013 Military Bowl, 2014 Boca Raton Bowl, 2015 St. Petersburg Bowl, 2017 New Mexico Bowl, 2018 Gasparilla Bowl.

The following users thanked this post: THECHAMPISHERE, herdorbust, herdfan129

Online 2xBison

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2021, 11:00:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The AAC is awful. What is there to like? They just invited the teams we wanted rid of. And they don?t have much left after their exits. I want no part of the AAC now. Either Sunbelt taking 3 with us or build what is left into a eastern based conference.
    I like building new eastern based league.  AAC just solved most of our Texas problem.   We really want to get in new league with a Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas problem?

That said we?d need New TV deal to incent so I know doubtful.  I like thought of utep gone, then add a few teams in region. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust, herdfan129

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2021, 11:02:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like building new eastern based league.  AAC just solved most of our Texas problem.   We really want to get in new league with a Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas problem?

That said we?d need New TV deal to incent so I know doubtful.  I like thought of utep gone, then add a few teams in region. 

We need new leadership and to rebrand the conference with a new name!
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2021, 11:07:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope this is not what happens, for admitedly selfish reasons.  I'd like to see Marshall and Ohio back in the same league.  It's the most natural rivalry and the fact that we are not playing every year now is a crying shame.  What about a revamped MAC that would include both WKU and Marshall?  Maybe MTSU, also.  It would be nice if we could also dump Akron and EMU at the same time.  Any chance of that happeining?

From the MAC board.

MAC South
    BGSU
    Ohio
    Miami
    Ball State
    Marshall
    WKU
    MTSU
    ODU

Offline Herdforlife

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2021, 11:09:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Against many?s opinion I like a lot of the current conference USA teams, but know we have to make a move to survive. At this point the only thing that would excite me is if Sunbelt expanded into 16 teams.

North:
    Marshall
    WKU
    MTSU
    Appy State
    Coastal Carolina
    JMU or ODU
    GAST
    GASO

South:
    Southern Miss
    La Tech
    UL
    ULM
    Troy
    USA
    TXST
    ARST

In reality I think the most they?ll want is four and La Tech has bad blood with the sunbelt, so we may lose La Tech and MTSU from this.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2021, 11:15:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Mtsu and fiu should be very worried.

Offline Herdforlife

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2021, 11:27:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Mtsu and fiu should be very worried.

I agree and will miss MTSU, FIU does nothing for me.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2021, 11:30:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The problem wasn't JUST that there were so many crappy Texas teams in CUSA (UTEP, NT, UTSA and Rice), so we are going from 4 Texas schools to 1, either in CUSA OR SB, but the Texas centric focus that CUSA has had since 2012 or so.  Don't forget screwing us over in favor of Rice, the headquarters being there, and putting our basketball championship there every year., and bowl selections.  One of the frustrations with the Texas schools is how much favoritism they seemed to get, at least in regards to the eastern schools.  Hopefully now, one way or the other, the eastern side will get more attention and fair treatment, either in a revamped CUSA or in the Sun Belt, wherever we end up.

If that is the argument I get that. But, to me, most people seem to be talking about locations and travel when they refer to the Texas schools.

Offline OhioCatFan

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2021, 11:32:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • From the MAC board.

MAC South
    BGSU
    Ohio
    Miami
    Ball State
    Marshall
    WKU
    MTSU
    ODU

I could live with that!  ODU brings a strong women's basketball program.  I'm curious, what did they propose for the MAC North? 
    Each fall I bleed two shades of green. Never forget Nov. 14, 1970.  Please consider a donation to the Jeff Nathan Sportswriting Scholarship.  Jeff was the sports editor of The Parthenon who was killed in the plane crash. I was co-adviser of the paper that year.  See details about the scholarship here: https://www.facebook.com/jeffnathanmemorial/?notif_id=1632663866180053&notif_t=page_user_activity&ref=notif

Offline Herdforlife

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2021, 11:36:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I could live with that!  ODU brings a strong women's basketball program.  I'm curious, what did they propose for the MAC North?

Agree, could get behind that

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2021, 11:36:17 AM »

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2021, 12:02:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Think it's gonna be us and Southern Miss if they go to 12.

With WKU and JMU if they go to 14.

hoppy pointed out that the AAC just blew a golden opportunity to really set themselves apart from the rest of G5.  NOW, the opportunity in play is the SBC can deliver a death blow to CUSA, bury it forever.  going to 12 leaves CUSA with a pulse.  going to 14 destroys them.  that'd be 1 less conference getting a piece of the tv pie in future negotiations (assuming CUSA replaces judy with a commish interested in putting their product on tv  ::)).  it's not like of the remaining CUSA schools, 2 of us are so much worthier than the next 2 up/JMU.  you're just as likely to get a quality add with 3rd & 4th preference as you are with 1 & 2.  if i'm SB, i'm gonna go after nat'l name recognition & add marshall, WKU, SoMS, & LaTech.  as for LT, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for SB to have 3 teams that hate 1 another.  haha

Offline whf

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2021, 12:09:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• If we moved with the very schools we wanted rid of Texas schools to a conference that has been already raised then I would be done. Thank God we wasnt with that bunch.
    So you, the basketball guru #2, wanted rid of Charlotte, UTSA, UAB and FAU; for Troy, App State, GaSo, GaState?  I'm shocked.

Offline Herdforlife

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2021, 12:15:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No inside info, but read a post on a Sunbelt message board that the conference could not agree on expanding, because west only wanted to add 1 or 2 teams. Sunbelt East is wanting Marshall, to which they are saying Marshall is wanting to bring friends and the east is okay with. If that?s the case we could convince the rest of the conference to hold, add Liberty and JMU. Work a TV deal with ESPN and then add Appy st and coastal. By that time offer to pay Charlotte, FAU or ECU?s exit fees to come back.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2021, 12:16:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So you, the basketball guru #2, wanted rid of Charlotte, UTSA, UAB and FAU; for Troy, App State, GaSo, GaState?  I'm shocked.

Uab is the only one I hated losing. I really liked them. The rest can pound sand. As long as we take WKU, ODU, SMiss the I?ll be fine. Or we stay out and add JMU, Liberty and who knows poach a couple more surprises.

Online 2xBison

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2021, 12:17:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • CUSA media rights up for bid in 2023.

A new TV deal and add new teams to cusa East sounds better to me than the belt and being in league that is in La, Tx, and Arkansas

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

HerdFans.com

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2021, 12:17:27 PM »