Author Topic: Grading the Herd after 5 games  (Read 518 times)

Offline herd1990

Grading the Herd after 5 games
« on: October 04, 2021, 07:35:21 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Feel free to criticize my grades or just provide your input.  These grades, by position group, are extremely subjective and it's my test!

QB:  D   A top level signal caller can't throw 7 picks in 5 games.  3 of the pics ended potential comeback drives.  I get that he throws for lots of yards.  I get that he can make all the throws.  I get that he is athletic and can scramble.  But turning the ball over is the driving force in his grade.  That and forcing throws.  I don't know enough about the position to say Grant doesn't go through his progressions, but he clearly has decided where the ball is going 90% of the time right after the huddle breaks.

RB:  B   Im going to give them mostly a pass for the fumbles in Murfreesboro.  Id be way more concerned if they happened without the driving rain storm.  My rotation would be Ali, Knowledge, and Evans.  I'd mix Payne in on some short yardage situations.  I think the kid has a little Devon Johnson in him.  I like the way Ali and Knowledge don't go down on initial contact.  Need to see all the RB's be more involved in the check down passing game.  They are all pretty elusive runners so throwing to them in the flats could end up in productive pick ups.

OL:  B-  At times we weren't exactly opening big running lanes but the running game has gotten better as the season has progressed.  Pass protection is adequate.  In my opinion, 1/2 of the sacks are because Grant holds on to the ball too long.  The OL certainly isn't a big part of our failure this season.

WR:  C  Outside of Gammage, nobody else is really showing out.  Occasionally Talik makes a play, or Willie or Ahmed.  Need a solid #2 to take the double coverage off of Gammage.  Maybe time to see some of the younger guys like Montgomery, McMillan or Coombs.

TE:  C   I really like XG and I just don't think we use him enough.  So im giving our underutilization of him the grade of C.  I think for the most part, when Xavier is targeted, good things happen.  Would like to see him way  more involved in the offense.

DL:  C   I think Edwards and Simmons have been solid.  TJ Johnson, Leggs, Croom and Kumberlander have been adequate.  I really like what O. Porter brings every game.  But we really havent established much of a pass rush all season (outside of the ridiculous amount of sacks against a doo doo Navy OL).  And we seem to get gashed pretty good on the run but I think that is primarily a LB issue.

LB:  C   Losing Beckett really affected this unit.  You could count on Tavante to be in almost every play.  He really had a nose for the ball and could provide good pass coverage.  I had high hopes for Neal after Navy but havent seen much since then.  And someone put an APB out for Tyriek Bell.  I thought this JUCO transfer was supposed to help.  I don't remember seeing or hearing his name all year.  Never really see Beauplan making plays.  Nobody in this unit has stepped up and been the run stopper we need at the second level.  We need more production from this unit or we will be run on all year long.

DB:   F   Really is there any other grade you can give this group?  We have to lead the nation in pass interference calls.  And we run a lot of man coverage but the opposing QB usually has a pretty big window to throw into because our guys are always 2-3 yards away from the ball.  Really, really disappointed in Abraham and the Clemson transfer (Williams).  Gilmore has been decent but he certainly isn't a lockdown corner.  The safety play has been adequate but not anything to get excited about.  Nazeeh is usually a dependable defender who isn't afraid to stick his nose in the play.  Drayton hasn't seemed to make the impact I expected (I realize he was injured last game).  Bottom line for this unit, way too many game changing penalties to extend drives, coverage way too soft and not much help in the way of run stopping. 

ST:   C     Lefevre has done a nice job punting except for last weeks block.  FG kicking has been below average and cost us 1 win.  Coverage teams have been pretty good.

COACHING:    D    Let me start by proclaiming my affinity for Coach Huff.  I think the guy is gonna get us back to where we want to be and then he will split after season 4.  He is energetic, accountable, candid and passionate.  His inexperience has shown at several times early this season and we saw the results.  He will figure it out.  Cramsey and Guidry will be an albatross around Huff's neck for as long as he keeps them around.  They could affect Huff's ability to be successful if they don't get their sh** together very quickly.  If they don't, I hope Huff cuts bait quickly and doesn't give either guy multiple seasons to try and prove themselves.  Just because I gave this unit a D doesn't mean I don't think they  can't figure it out.  They just havent yet.

Overall Herd Football GPA:  1.8  (D-)  and for a 2-3 record and being 11 points away from being 5-0, I think that is a fair assessment.
    « Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 07:53:17 PM by herd1990 »

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, herdfan93, parshall2marshall, The E-Man

HerdFans.com

Grading the Herd after 5 games
    « on: October 04, 2021, 07:35:21 PM »

Offline RollingThunder80

Re: Grading the Herd after 5 games
    « Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 07:50:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Pretty fair assessment overall. I can?t argue any of those grades. This team is losing as a team. No one person or unit to blame.  I will say I don?t think I?ll survive any more pass interference calls from the Secondary.
    I literally will stroke out if they don?t fix that crap.  Conversely we don?t draw a PI but once every 3-4 games.

The following users thanked this post: herd1990, The E-Man

Online herd2win

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 08:08:06 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Very well thought out review.  I will add to your first point.  I liked Grant a lot and root for him but I pay attention and he missed wide open receivers multiple times to throw into coverage.  He is not progressing.  Time to give someone else the chance.

Agree about Huffs staff.  It was called out by people who know more football than me before the season that he did not put together a strong staff.  You can?t compare Guidry to Lambert or our current Oline coach to Greg Adkins.  He must make changes if he wants to be successful .

The following users thanked this post: herd1990, herdfan93, parshall2marshall, herdfifteen

Offline herd1990

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 10:59:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Very well thought out review.  I will add to your first point.  I liked Grant a lot and root for him but I pay attention and he missed wide open receivers multiple times to throw into coverage.  He is not progressing.  Time to give someone else the chance.

Agree about Huffs staff.  It was called out by people who know more football than me before the season that he did not put together a strong staff.  You can?t compare Guidry to Lambert or our current Oline coach to Greg Adkins.  He must make changes if he wants to be successful .
    Agree on Grant?s field vision.  Not sure if that is an inherent skill/talent or coachable trait.   Either way, it?s holding him back.

Offline 98HerdAlum

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Practice Squad
    • Herd Fan for Life
    « Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 01:04:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wonder a bit about Xavier Gaines.  Two different coaches and we are all still saying we under-utilize Gaines.  Maybe there's more there than we can see.  He looks the part and on occasions he plays like a man but there are lots of times when he seems to be detached from the game plan. 

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08

Offline bighat

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 01:10:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If our quarterback would not throw into double or triple coverage he would be excellent.

The following users thanked this post: herd1990, The E-Man

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 01:16:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Feel free to criticize my grades or just provide your input.  These grades, by position group, are extremely subjective and it's my test!

QB:  D   A top level signal caller can't throw 7 picks in 5 games.  3 of the pics ended potential comeback drives.  I get that he throws for lots of yards.  I get that he can make all the throws.  I get that he is athletic and can scramble.  But turning the ball over is the driving force in his grade.  That and forcing throws.  I don't know enough about the position to say Grant doesn't go through his progressions, but he clearly has decided where the ball is going 90% of the time right after the huddle breaks.

RB:  B   Im going to give them mostly a pass for the fumbles in Murfreesboro.  Id be way more concerned if they happened without the driving rain storm.  My rotation would be Ali, Knowledge, and Evans.  I'd mix Payne in on some short yardage situations.  I think the kid has a little Devon Johnson in him.  I like the way Ali and Knowledge don't go down on initial contact.  Need to see all the RB's be more involved in the check down passing game.  They are all pretty elusive runners so throwing to them in the flats could end up in productive pick ups.

OL:  B-  At times we weren't exactly opening big running lanes but the running game has gotten better as the season has progressed.  Pass protection is adequate.  In my opinion, 1/2 of the sacks are because Grant holds on to the ball too long.  The OL certainly isn't a big part of our failure this season.

WR:  C  Outside of Gammage, nobody else is really showing out.  Occasionally Talik makes a play, or Willie or Ahmed.  Need a solid #2 to take the double coverage off of Gammage.  Maybe time to see some of the younger guys like Montgomery, McMillan or Coombs.

TE:  C   I really like XG and I just don't think we use him enough.  So im giving our underutilization of him the grade of C.  I think for the most part, when Xavier is targeted, good things happen.  Would like to see him way  more involved in the offense.

DL:  C   I think Edwards and Simmons have been solid.  TJ Johnson, Leggs, Croom and Kumberlander have been adequate.  I really like what O. Porter brings every game.  But we really havent established much of a pass rush all season (outside of the ridiculous amount of sacks against a doo doo Navy OL).  And we seem to get gashed pretty good on the run but I think that is primarily a LB issue.

LB:  C   Losing Beckett really affected this unit.  You could count on Tavante to be in almost every play.  He really had a nose for the ball and could provide good pass coverage.  I had high hopes for Neal after Navy but havent seen much since then.  And someone put an APB out for Tyriek Bell.  I thought this JUCO transfer was supposed to help.  I don't remember seeing or hearing his name all year.  Never really see Beauplan making plays.  Nobody in this unit has stepped up and been the run stopper we need at the second level.  We need more production from this unit or we will be run on all year long.

DB:   F   Really is there any other grade you can give this group?  We have to lead the nation in pass interference calls.  And we run a lot of man coverage but the opposing QB usually has a pretty big window to throw into because our guys are always 2-3 yards away from the ball.  Really, really disappointed in Abraham and the Clemson transfer (Williams).  Gilmore has been decent but he certainly isn't a lockdown corner.  The safety play has been adequate but not anything to get excited about.  Nazeeh is usually a dependable defender who isn't afraid to stick his nose in the play.  Drayton hasn't seemed to make the impact I expected (I realize he was injured last game).  Bottom line for this unit, way too many game changing penalties to extend drives, coverage way too soft and not much help in the way of run stopping. 

ST:   C     Lefevre has done a nice job punting except for last weeks block.  FG kicking has been below average and cost us 1 win.  Coverage teams have been pretty good.

COACHING:    D    Let me start by proclaiming my affinity for Coach Huff.  I think the guy is gonna get us back to where we want to be and then he will split after season 4.  He is energetic, accountable, candid and passionate.  His inexperience has shown at several times early this season and we saw the results.  He will figure it out.  Cramsey and Guidry will be an albatross around Huff's neck for as long as he keeps them around.  They could affect Huff's ability to be successful if they don't get their sh** together very quickly.  If they don't, I hope Huff cuts bait quickly and doesn't give either guy multiple seasons to try and prove themselves.  Just because I gave this unit a D doesn't mean I don't think they  can't figure it out.  They just havent yet.

Overall Herd Football GPA:  1.8  (D-)  and for a 2-3 record and being 11 points away from being 5-0, I think that is a fair assessment.

Great post and +1
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

The following users thanked this post: herd1990

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 01:32:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The coaching grade is about right. Huff is being paid to win games and right now, he?s struggling. It?s not too late to turn it around, if he can get the team to eliminate mistakes.

Does Huff have the coaching acumen/toughness to hold the players and staff accountable and make necessary changes? Time will tell.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2021, 04:04:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?m not sold on Gammage.  He can not get separation and drops to many passes.

Offline muherd34

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 04:21:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • IMO one of the reasons our secondary struggles so much is because our recievers the past few years have been below average.  Hard to get better when you practice every day against poor competition.

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2021, 05:02:11 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall made a lot of mistakes, including an unbelievable amount of turnovers, in the MTSU game.  Am I disappointed with the loss to MTSU?  Yes, without a doubt.  However...

I'll give Huff, his assistants, and the players credit.  The players and coaches didn't give up and played 4 quarters.  We were still in the game during the 4th quarter and were in a position to win it at the end of the game.  Had one of the Herd's offensive possessions went differently (for example 1 less turnover) and Marshall scored then Marshall wins that game.

I'm not sold on this coaching staff (they are unproven) but it showed me something that the coaches were able to keep the players and team (offense and defense) in the MTSU game in spite of the turnovers, bad luck, mistakes or whatever you want to call it.  It showed mental focus and toughness.  So credit the players first and coaches second.  If the players and coaches had given up it could have easily been a game that MTSU scores 60.

Going forward on offense the 3 and outs as well as the turnovers have to stop.  The defense needs to get a little love and attention from the coaching staff to bring them back to being one of the top defenses of any G5.  That's where the defense was the last 2 seasons and there is no reason it can't get back to form this season.
    « Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 12:35:30 AM by HerdEcon »

The following users thanked this post: herd1990, herdfan129

Offline herd1990

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2021, 05:16:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall made a lot of mistakes, including an unbelievable amount of turnovers, in the MTSU game.  Am I disappointed with the loss to MTSU?  Yes, without a doubt.  However...

I'll give Huff, his assistants, and the players credit.  The players and coaches didn't give up and played 4 quarters.  We were still in the game during the 4th quarter and were in a position to win it at the end of the game.  Had one of the Herd's offensive possessions went differently (for example 1 less turnover) and Marshall scored then Marshall wins that game.

I'm not sold on this coaching staff (they are unproven) but it showed some me something that the coaches were able to keep the players and team (offense and defense) in the MTSU game in spite of the turnovers, bad luck, mistakes or whatever you want to call it.  It showed mental focus and toughness.  So credit the players first and coaches second.  If the players and coaches had given up it could have easily been a game that MTSU scores 60.

Going forward on offense the 3 and outs as well as the turnovers have to stop.  The defense needs to get a little love and attention from the coaching staff to bring them back to being one of the top defenses of any G5.  That's where the defense was the last 2 seasons and there is no reason it can't get back to form this season.

well said.  Agree with all your thoughts!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2021, 05:16:45 PM »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2021, 09:44:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Trying to wrack my memory.  Not sure, but isn't Gaines the player that we have used in the past (Cramsey and Doc) in the pistol formation, with Wells lining up in the slot, as a wide out, etc.?  Wonder if Cramsey still has this in this year's playbook and if he and Huff plan on using it?  If not, why not?

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop, herdfan129

Offline bighat

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2021, 01:22:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Cramsey gets criticism when it is not warranted.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2021, 02:19:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

What the heck have you been watching? Cramsey sucks.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline herd1990

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2021, 02:36:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

If I recall correctly we had a couple possessions in the late 3rd and early 4th qtr at ECU that lasted about :35 of game clock.  With a 2/3 possession lead, it?s ok to run the ball a few times and work some clock.  Also, a 4th and 1 or 2 late in the 4th against ECU and we throw a very low % ball 30 yards into the end zone?  Very questionable play calling.  Cost us at least 1 or 2 games.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2021, 02:42:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What the heck have you been watching? Cramsey sucks.

90% of it is in your head. Some of the best offensive numbers in the country.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2021, 05:07:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• 90% of it is in your head. Some of the best offensive numbers in the country.

No it's not. Stats are very misleading and don't tell the entire story.

Cramsey's terrible play calling resulted in the losses to ECU and App both.

It isn't like this is something new, we've seen the same stuff from Cramsey for 2-3 years now.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2021, 05:07:58 PM »