Author Topic: Baseball Stadium  (Read 1351 times)

Offline MU101

Baseball Stadium
« on: December 16, 2020, 12:00:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What's the status?

HerdFans.com

Baseball Stadium
    « on: December 16, 2020, 12:00:44 PM »

Online svherd

Re: Baseball Stadium
    « Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 12:03:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • DOA for the short term. I'd say the focus on fundraising has taken a back seat to the current budget and trying not to lay off anyone and getting through this crisis. jmho

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline wesnky

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 12:05:59 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Welcome to “Second Guess” Tuesday.

Here are toasty, warm opinions to keep everyone hot under the collar.

n Isn’t it time for Marshall University to reach an agreement with Appalachian Power Park to play the Thundering Herd’s Conference USA games in the Charleston-based stadium?

The answer is an unequivocal “yes.”

Actually, it should be a no-brainer. That’s because the whole scenario has fallen into place.

Appalachian Power Park is one of only 11 minor league affiliates in the country that were kicked to the curb in Major League Baseball’s new working agreement. APP is now a ballpark without a tenant.

Meanwhile, the progress on a proposed new baseball stadium for Marshall consists of a sign leaning up against a fence in front of the property on Fifth Avenue.

It is at a stand-still. And, at this point, there isn’t any progress in sight. Yet, if the COVID-19 vaccines work and the creek don’t rise, Marshall will have a baseball season in 2021.

So, where is the Herd going to play? The Kennedy Center? That’s acceptable for non-conference games, but the only reason Conference USA signed off on “The Deuce” was because of an impending new stadium.

Well, guess what? It’s not so impending anymore.

In the meantime, Marshall needs a quality place to play its C-USA games. Bingo! Appalachian Power Park is available.

I know, I know. Been there, done that. But that was then and this is now. And now the circumstances have changed. The problems of Marshall not being able to take infield or batting practice before games don’t exist anymore.

It’s a perfect situation. Appalachian Power Park needs someone playing baseball inside its friendly confines this season and Marshall needs a nice, accommodating place to play.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, Buffalo Bop

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 12:30:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • A baseball stadium is a ridiculous waste of money unless it helps us get to a better conference. Marshall barely has any $$$$ as is.......

Go Herd!
    « Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 02:33:13 PM by Garbanjo »

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, whf, HoPPy785, herdfan129

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 12:38:02 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • A baseball stadium is ridiculous waste of money unless it helps us get to a better conference. Marshall barely has any $$$$ as is.......

Go Herd!

I was all for a baseball stadium with the hopes of Huntington getting a minor league professional team, but now since MLB has dropped a lot of minor league teams is it worth it?

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, whf, wesnky

Online herd2win

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 12:50:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My opinion mirrors Eman...as a kid growing up in Huntington I enjoyed going to St Cloud and watching the Cubs with my Dad.  Also, if donations come in to build the stadium then I am also ok with that.  There may be baseball first guys that will raise enough for a stadium.

Understanding the minor league situation maybe we can build a toned down stadium with 2000 capacity that works budget wise and gives the guys a local place to play.

Maybe hold regional tourneys for AAU type teams.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 12:57:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • I have to echo Garbanjo above... It was a waste of money before and now that minor league baseball is trimming back (and I expect it to keep trimming over the years) it's even worse of a plan. Charleston couldn't keep a team going and neither will Huntington. You need a bigger population for minor league baseball. Use the money to expand and renovate the basketball arena or create a beer garden deck in the endzone of the Joan. Basketball arena should blow out a wall and add a restaurant/beer garden instead of the lame student seats under the basket. Also a practice court.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Online svherd

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 01:04:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • An independent league, wooden bat league team is the only thing we can hope for (Charleston too) and that's very doable. The stadium will likely be built eventually - 3-4 years down the road I would guess, maybe longer. I just don't see any advantage of us using Power Park as a permanent home for baseball, but that may be the best and only alternative we have short term.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 01:52:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Reach out to MacKenzie Scott ...... she is giving away cash  8) 8)

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 02:11:11 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]1
  • Up to now I've been a supporter of building a baseball stadium, I'm starting to change my mind.

Cash is always in short supply at Marshall and in W Va, right now things are worse than ever.  In the 80's and 90's our football program took pride in doing more with less, we seem to have lost out way in that as well as other aspects of our sports programs.

Power park is a great facility and many of the knocks against using it have left with the loss of professional sports.  Add in my belief that one of the best things MU can do to offset the influence of WVU is to grow support among fans and legislators is to increase our footprint in Charleston.  We've got the Grad school and the flight school programs in Charleston now.  Charleston has a long history of local support for baseball going back to Watt Powell park in the 50's and 60's.  I think moving into a possibly available Power Park for the short term or even the long term could be one of the best things we could do to stabilize and grow both Herd baseball and the school at this time of challenge and scarcity.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 02:32:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Up to now I've been a supporter of building a baseball stadium, I'm starting to change my mind.

Cash is always in short supply at Marshall and in W Va, right now things are worse than ever.  In the 80's and 90's our football program took pride in doing more with less, we seem to have lost out way in that as well as other aspects of our sports programs.

Power park is a great facility and many of the knocks against using it have left with the loss of professional sports.  Add in my belief that one of the best things MU can do to offset the influence of WVU is to grow support among fans and legislators is to increase our footprint in Charleston.  We've got the Grad school and the flight school programs in Charleston now.  Charleston has a long history of local support for baseball going back to Watt Powell park in the 50's and 60's.  I think moving into a possibly available Power Park for the short term or even the long term could be one of the best things we could do to stabilize and grow both Herd baseball and the school at this time of challenge and scarcity.

100% agree

Go Herd!

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 02:52:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The only way we should build a baseball stadium is if the AAC said they would invite us if we built it. Outside of that it’s a waste of money. As for CUSA, it’s past time for Hamrick to grow some balls and tell them we will play wherever we want. If football teams and basketball teams can play in high school gyms in this conference then we can surely play baseball games on high school level fields.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: HoPPy785

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 02:52:28 PM »

Offline whf

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2020, 02:59:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • [quote authorherdfan129 link=topic=109595.msg917834#msg917834 date=1608148348]
    The only way we should build a baseball stadium is if the AAC said they would invite us if we built it. Outside of that it’s a waste of money. As for CUSA, it’s past time for Hamrick to grow some balls and tell them we will play wherever we want. If football teams and basketball teams can play in high school gyms in this conference then we can surely play baseball games on high school level fields.
    [/quote]Agree, spend some additional funds and bet the field out by the river in better-than-acceptable condition; then just move on.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline puma

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2020, 04:24:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The only way we should build a baseball stadium is if the AAC said they would invite us if we built it. Outside of that it’s a waste of money. As for CUSA, it’s past time for Hamrick to grow some balls and tell them we will play wherever we want. If football teams and basketball teams can play in high school gyms in this conference then we can surely play baseball games on high school level fields.

I never understood why C-USA is (at least theoretically) so strict about baseball stadium requirements. As you said, a lot of football and basketball facilities are basically equivalent to a nice high school. How many teams legitimately have more than 5,000 butts in seats for a football game? And that's probably being generous for half the league.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan129

Offline CoachMaclid

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2020, 04:26:58 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]1
  • My opinion on the baseball situation have remained unchanged.  Spending $18-20 million on a facility is as unwise in 2019 as it is in 2021. 

We now have the land in control.  Put down a nice top D-1 playing surface, put in a quality clubhouse facility with a functional pressbox and premium seating for a few hundred (similar to our softball facility)... and that's it.  Spend $4 million, have a serviceable on campus facility like the Dot or the Vet, and call it a day.  Independent wooden bat leagues are not economic engines.  There are not enough travel ball quality facilities in Huntington around to utilize for large youth events.  We just need a nice little on-campus ball field to start and go from there.

---------------

I am absolutely not a fan of the Appalachian Park option for baseball unless - the University makes an absolute commitment to have a noticeable presence in Charleston.  Open up a facility a block adjacent to the ballpark, find and build a partnership with Charleston Area Medical Center like we did with Cabell Huntington Hospital, engage the Clay Center with programming... try to 'own' exit 100(?) off I-64 there in Charleston.  If you want to build a significant presence in Charleston, then go all in.  Else, there's zero reason to ship baseball off-campus.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, parshall2marshall, MUsince96, herdfan129

Online svherd

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2020, 04:29:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Or Marshall could sell it back to the city, which would then apply for grants to build the largest recovery house in the world, a new Dollar General, and new Pawn shop.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb, herdfan129, longtimeherdfan

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #16 on: December 16, 2020, 04:42:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My opinion on the baseball situation have remained unchanged.  Spending $18-20 million on a facility is as unwise in 2019 as it is in 2021. 

We now have the land in control.  Put down a nice top D-1 playing surface, put in a quality clubhouse facility with a functional pressbox and premium seating for a few hundred (similar to our softball facility)... and that's it.  Spend $4 million, have a serviceable on campus facility like the Dot or the Vet, and call it a day.  Independent wooden bat leagues are not economic engines.  There are not enough travel ball quality facilities in Huntington around to utilize for large youth events.  We just need a nice little on-campus ball field to start and go from there.

---------------

I am absolutely not a fan of the Appalachian Park option for baseball unless - the University makes an absolute commitment to have a noticeable presence in Charleston.  Open up a facility a block adjacent to the ballpark, find and build a partnership with Charleston Area Medical Center like we did with Cabell Huntington Hospital, engage the Clay Center with programming... try to 'own' exit 100(?) off I-64 there in Charleston.  If you want to build a significant presence in Charleston, then go all in.  Else, there's zero reason to ship baseball off-campus.

Great stuff man. I revise my position and support your position.

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: MUsince96

Online herd2win

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2020, 04:43:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

---------------

I agree with everything said in this post.

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2020, 04:46:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

---------------

[/b]

It isn't on campus now and hasn't been for over 60 years.

Offline longtimeherdfan

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2020, 04:54:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree, spend some additional funds and bet the field out by the river in better-than-acceptable condition; then just move on.

The field at the Kennedy Center is no where near being "better than acceptable."

If the new ballpark can't be built, then playing in Charleston, on a very nice field, will always be the better decision than playing games the Kennedy Center.

Offline longtimeherdfan

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2020, 04:56:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Or Marshall could sell it back to the city, which would then apply for grants to build the largest recovery house in the world, a new Dollar General, and new Pawn shop.

Don't forget about building another tanning salon, nail salon, and cell phone store. Oh, and another Starbucks.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline herdman22

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2020, 06:52:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't understand taking using baseball to get to a better conference. Baseball is one sport where CUSA excels. One of the top baseball conferences in the country. We will never be in a conference better in baseball than CUSA.

Surely also why they can be so demanding about stadiums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2020, 06:52:10 PM »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2020, 07:11:39 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]1
  • Agree that the whole project needs scaled back.  Don't need all the "bells and whistles" in the proposed project, especially at this time.  Build grandstands that hold about 2,000 fans, if that is or meets any minimal requirement of CUSA.  Don't need all the plush fan amenities and other extras right off the bat for the initial project.

And remember this is the modus operandi for MU when it comes to building new athletic facilities going back to the 1980s, at least.  Henderson Center was suppose to see closer to 12,000 fans initially and the main arena was suppose to be air conditioned.  Project came in way to high, $$$$ wise, to suit the Rockefeller Administration in Charleston.  So they wrapped it up against Gullickson Hall, scaled back a lot of amenities, less seats, more bleachers, the "movable" seats in the lower arena which broke down almost immediately.  Some short cuts, reduced seats, etc., also at the Joan.  We can do some cutting with the baseball facility and still come up with a suitable facility, IMO.

Online svherd

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2020, 08:36:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree that the whole project needs scaled back.  Don't need all the "bells and whistles" in the proposed project, especially at this time.  Build grandstands that hold about 2,000 fans, if that is or meets any minimal requirement of CUSA.  Don't need all the plush fan amenities and other extras right off the bat for the initial project.

And remember this is the modus operandi for MU when it comes to building new athletic facilities going back to the 1980s, at least.  Henderson Center was suppose to see closer to 12,000 fans initially and the main arena was suppose to be air conditioned.  Project came in way to high, $$$$ wise, to suit the Rockefeller Administration in Charleston.  So they wrapped it up against Gullickson Hall, scaled back a lot of amenities, less seats, more bleachers, the "movable" seats in the lower arena which broke down almost immediately.  Some short cuts, reduced seats, etc., also at the Joan.  We can do some cutting with the baseball facility and still come up with a suitable facility, IMO.

The issue with the stadium is, Marshall went about the process all wrong. We let everyone put in their wish list and THEN set a budget amount. That's why the bids came in way over budget. The correct way was to set a budget and then hire a firm to design and build the stadium to that budget. Doing that, you are assured of coming in at budget and the process not being scaled back or interrupted by cost overruns.
    Case in point - High Point Rockers stadium here in High Point. My good friend, Huntington native, Marshall grad; was instrumental in the budget and design process for the Rockers stadium. He did just what I typed - set a budget and worked from there. The stadium came in under budget, on time, and has won accolades for it's look, function and location.

It can be done if more thought is put into it. Marshall needs a nice 2K seat stadium  that is pleasing to the eye and comfortable. We don't need any more bells and whistles than necessary to provide our athletes and program with a top notch facility they can be proud of. jmho.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, coalherd, herdfan129

Offline MUonium

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2020, 08:54:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • well, no matter how you slice it, a program always and seemingly in limbo.  deserving coaches and players.  recruiting barriers.  another potential entertainment option Huntingtonians don't have.  i agree, build a facility at a quarter/one third of the cost, adequate to the population situation, but for goodness sake play IN town.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2020, 08:54:18 AM »