Author Topic: P6, who knows...  (Read 1660 times)

Offline herd1986

P6, who knows...
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2020, 01:51:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can't tell me that with 30 million people that with a competent media package and with programs putting quality teams on the field, CUSA couldn't carve out a significant niche for itself in populous areas of Texas!  As I'm sure Texas A&M already has with its rabid fan and alumni base.  North Texas, UTSA, and UTEP are already large schools, enrollment wise, in large Metro areas of the Lone Start state.  I'm sure that their in state alumni bases are rather substantial also.  And, heck, I'm sure UTEP has built up support among the hordes of potential border crossers just teeming in the greater Juarez area of Mexico.  Unfortunately, right now those Texas teams, along with the rest of CUSA, lack the essential elements:  (1) a quality media package, and (2) lack of quality teams to put on the gridiron!
    Since the EKU game, and all the great coverage we received, I have changed my thinking about the media package.  We need to do whatever we can to get back on ESPN even if ESPN wants to pay us chump change.  A quality media package is needed to just build the brand back to an acceptable level.  FB and revolving online options is killing us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: GreenDaddy

HerdFans.com

P6, who knows...
    « Reply #50 on: September 12, 2020, 01:51:22 PM »

Offline sardistim

Re: P6, who knows...
    « Reply #51 on: September 12, 2020, 02:11:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If a AAC champ has a 11-2 record (Championship game win included) and neither of those two loses are bad loses, that would trump a 13-0 Herd team.

That a MAC team made it to a NY6 game should be considered as a discrepant event, not as a path that is likely to be duplicated in any given year. Being a member of the CUSA means that MU is not in a good place to make a successful run, even with an undefeated season.

That all depends on us and who we play in OOC games.  The reason Cato's senior team was debatable (before the WKU loss) was because we didn't play anybody that year--thanks L'ville.  Had we had that team with this year's schedule (pre-COVID) we could have still been a NY6 team even with one loss.

Would it be easier for us to make a NY6 bowl if we were in the AAC?  Yes.  But the reason we haven't been seriously considered is because of bad head coaching since Pruett left and bad scheduling in several years. 

Look under today's rules, the 1997 team would have been one of 3 or 4 teams in the last couple weeks of the season with a NY6 chance.  The 1998 team would have been 3rd behind Tulane (CUSA) and Air Force (WAC).  The 1999 team would have been selected.  The 2001 team would have been the #1 team heading into the conference championship games, which we lost to Toledo.  The 2002 team would have been neck and neck with Boise.

There is no sense whining about CUSA.  We just need a great coach to win CUSA on a regular basis and give us 1 win against a P5 team or top G5 (Boise, Cincy, etc) once a year.  This is not out of the realm of possibilities. 

The following users thanked this post: elginherd, puma, herdorbust, herdfan129

Offline puma

« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2020, 03:14:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Strength of schedule in 2014 really was ridiculous. I think it was somewhere in the ballpark of 125, with Louisiana Tech being the best win by far. I really wish the team could have faced better competition that year just to know what they were capable of.

The following seasons really were a lot better and afforded many opportunities to stand out as a top G5.

Offline elginherd

« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2020, 04:04:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Since the EKU game, and all the great coverage we received, I have changed my thinking about the media package.  We need to do whatever we can to get back on ESPN even if ESPN wants to pay us chump change.  A quality media package is needed to just build the brand back to an acceptable level.  FB and revolving online options is killing us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We're getting chump change now :-[
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2020, 06:52:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Did anybody notice the Sun Belt promo during the App State and UNCC game?  Touting their players in the pros, other successes in football, and then there was the visual "EVERY HOME GAME ON ESPN"!  Perhaps they were referring to Sun Belt League games only.  Maybe it referred to the fact that ALL games at a Sun Belt venue are on SOME ESPN venue! 

What can CUSA offer in response?  "Like us on Facebook . . . if you can find us"?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2020, 06:52:57 PM »