Author Topic: MLB Eliminating Minor League teams  (Read 701 times)

Online svherd

MLB Eliminating Minor League teams
« on: November 18, 2019, 10:15:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • MLB has proposed eliminating 42 minor league teams to lower costs and increase pay for players moving up through the system. The WV Power and Lexington Legends are on the list of teams to be eliminated. Not good for Charley West. Hope this doesn’t happen.

I know Huntington was hoping to get a minor league short season team. This seems to all but end that thought. Although eliminating minor league affiliated teams would seem to increase the talent pool for independent league teams. That may be an option.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

HerdFans.com

MLB Eliminating Minor League teams
    « on: November 18, 2019, 10:15:49 PM »

Offline Big Ol' Hillbilly

Re: MLB Eliminating Minor League teams
    « Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 10:25:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • MLB has proposed eliminating 42 minor league teams to lower costs and increase pay for players moving up through the system. The WV Power and Lexington Legends are on the list of teams to be eliminated. Not good for Charley West. Hope this doesn’t happen.

I know Huntington was hoping to get a minor league short season team. This seems to all but end that thought. Although eliminating minor league affiliated teams would seem to increase the talent pool for independent league teams. That may be an option.

After watching “Battered Bas+ards of Baseball” on Netflix, I wish the MLB would totally cut ties with the minors. I wasn’t around yet, but they made it sound like minor league ball was much more fun back before the teams became basically developmental teams for the majors.

Offline rvntx

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 10:31:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Look for even more independent leagues to spring up. We have a team here that plays in the American Association. Went from AAA league to an independent league...

Offline whf

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 10:42:44 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Florence Freedom are fantastic entertainment as independents.

Offline mu79grad

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 11:53:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Our Lexington Legends,who won the last two South Atlantic League Class A titles, is on the chopping block.  Shame.

Offline Killer Buffalo

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 08:15:15 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Need to cut the ridiculous salaries of some of the players, rather than possibly lose fans by cutting their teams.

The following users thanked this post: lexkyherdfan, ThunderValley, The E-Man, CoachSkip

Online bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 01:03:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • After watching “Battered Bas+ards of Baseball” on Netflix, I wish the MLB would totally cut ties with the minors. I wasn’t around yet, but they made it sound like minor league ball was much more fun back before the teams became basically developmental teams for the majors.

That is a great documentary. I had lost my way on a documentary I was producing...no time, no money... and BBOB got me reenergized. finished it a couple years ago

Offline Gaylen

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 04:10:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is a mistake by MLB. It will be saving dimes and losing dollars.

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 05:10:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Interest in MLB is declining.  MLB attendance and ratings are down.  That having been said interest and attendance in most sporting events is declining across the board.  Although interest in e-sports is increasing. 

Offline lexkyherdfan

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Heisman
    • GKI Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 08:24:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Need to cut the ridiculous salaries of some of the players, rather than possibly lose fans by cutting their teams.

No kidding. Minor league baseball can bring new fans into baseball.  MLB is losing fans quick and if they get rid of teams in the minors that is even less fans to want to enjoy baseball. 

Our Legends team is awesome here in Lexington. They have won the last two SAL championships and are on the chopping block.  Crazy.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 08:24:08 PM »