Author Topic: Boston Celtics Summer League Schedule  (Read 29788 times)

Offline MUonium

Re: Boston Celtics Summer League Schedule
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2019, 06:51:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I thought he played a lot more under control than he did in game 1. He seems to be the only guy out there that is willing to distribute the ball.

yes.  don't know what these coaches tell these players what they want to see out of them individually (and team, for that matter) but i think Jon would thrive under a more disciplined, set plays, team approach.

The following users thanked this post: MUsince96

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2019, 06:51:47 AM »

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2019, 07:02:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • yes.  don't know what these coaches tell these players what they want to see out of them individually (and team, for that matter) but i think Jon would thrive under a more disciplined, set plays, team approach.

It just looks to me in Summer League play these guys are ALL about themselves.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: svherd, herdorbust

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2019, 07:57:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://twitter.com/elmore33/status/1148444208220364800?s=20

This is the skill-set Jon brings to the game.

The following users thanked this post: chris88, LUVTHATHERD

Offline chris88

« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2019, 08:54:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It just looks to me in Summer League play these guys are ALL about themselves.

It is a lot more open court and shoot when your open type of game in summer league.  A few guys will have legit shots at roster spots or G league which lends itself to selfishness at times.  Sort of like what Jon was doing at times last year....trying to impress people at next level. Glad Jon is staying within himself.....that will bold well for him as others look at the tape. That oop was sick.  Elmore is such a gym rat he will do nothing but get better now that he can devote his FT to his craft imo.  He is never going to be an explosive, attacking guy but his handle and BB IQ will help him.  He needs to have a consistent shot making ability.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Always THE HERD

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2019, 09:03:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It is a lot more open court and shoot when your open type of game in summer league.  A few guys will have legit shots at roster spots or G league which lends itself to selfishness at times.  Sort of like what Jon was doing at times last year....trying to impress people at next level. Glad Jon is staying within himself.....that will bold well for him as others look at the tape. That oop was sick.  Elmore is such a gym rat he will do nothing but get better now that he can devote his FT to his craft imo.  He is never going to be an explosive, attacking guy but his handle and BB IQ will help him.  He needs to have a consistent shot making ability.

Although his NBA chances are slim, I'm hoping he can get into the Euroleague and get some $100k paychecks, unlike the $35k G League.  Getting there would also better his shot of getting back to the NBA Summer League again in the future.
    He and his WV Wildcat teammates will be on ESPN next Friday night in The Basketball Tournament.
    « Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 09:05:10 AM by Herdmeister »
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, usedcars1, MUsince96, LUVTHATHERD, herdfan129

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2019, 10:49:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I truly think Elmore looks better than the other PG. The offense flows better with Elmore who is not playing selfish at all.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: usedcars1, LUVTHATHERD

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2019, 01:13:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • At times last night he looked a little frustrated sitting on the bench.

TRS
    MU 71

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2019, 01:29:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • At times last night he looked a little frustrated sitting on the bench.

TRS
    MU 71

It has to be very humbling...
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2019, 01:37:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I didn't see the last game, but I did watch the one on Saturday. I agree. He looked really frustrated. It's going to take time for him to realize he is not the number one option anymore.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2019, 02:08:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I didn't see the last game, but I did watch the one on Saturday. I agree. He looked really frustrated. It's going to take time for him to realize he is not the number one option anymore.
    There is no doubt that he looked most comfortable in his second game vs Cleveland on Monday night.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline chris88

« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2019, 10:57:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It won't effect Elmore but Boston cut/waived Yabusele today.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline marshall90

• Rookie
    « Reply #61 on: July 11, 2019, 03:31:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Like to see him land in Houston.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2019, 03:31:07 AM »

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2019, 06:51:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Like to see him land in Houston.
    I know he has a good relationship with the coach there........
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Always THE HERD

Offline Always THE HERD

« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2019, 07:23:52 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know he has a good relationship with the coach there........
    ~
    I have known Mike D. since 4th grade......he has always been a VERY intelligent guy and an even MORE humble person. He was always liked by his other classmates and still is. He NEVER, EVER made ANY comments to insinuate (sp?) that he was good or great or the coaches liked him or ANYTHING to make you feel he thought he was better than someone else in anything (athletics, school work or whatever) He was VERY popular in school and could of had any girl in school. He was almost on the "shy side". He could easily have been a doctor, lawyer, renown scientist, etc.
    ~
    Mr. Elmore on the other hand appears (at least to me as a total outsider) to be somewhere near opposite of MD's traits. Confidence is great BUT he must realize he's just another fish in a great big sea. I wish him nothing but the best in life....but some lessons are very hard to learn and accept.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, herdfan129

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2019, 08:25:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ~
    I have known Mike D. since 4th grade......he has always been a VERY intelligent guy and an even MORE humble person. He was always liked by his other classmates and still is. He NEVER, EVER made ANY comments to insinuate (sp?) that he was good or great or the coaches liked him or ANYTHING to make you feel he thought he was better than someone else in anything (athletics, school work or whatever) He was VERY popular in school and could of had any girl in school. He was almost on the "shy side". He could easily have been a doctor, lawyer, renown scientist, etc.
    ~
    Mr. Elmore on the other hand appears (at least to me as a total outsider) to be somewhere near opposite of MD's traits. Confidence is great BUT he must realize he's just another fish in a great big sea. I wish him nothing but the best in life....but some lessons are very hard to learn and accept.

I never knew Mike until he came to Marshall. He was exactly as you describe him.
    I have known Jon the past 5 years since he has been in Huntington. I see him everyday n practice. When you spend time around him you will see a lot of Mike's traits in him. He too has always been a very humble young man.
    Both are GREAT representatives of Marshall University
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, chris88, The E-Man

Offline chris88

« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2019, 09:09:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You want a player who wants to play and wants the ball.  Most NBA coaches, not all, are pretty up front about what to expect in your role.  He only played 6 minutes on Tues but had a +3, 2 assts, 0 TO's, and 0-1 from field.  Again very solid for a guy auditioning for playing time elsewhere or in future. According to Boston press, the most likely guys from summer roster to make big club are R.Williams (already under contract), rookie F Grant Williams, rookie G T Waters, M Strous, and possibly G Edwards and/or even Taco Fall.  Not sure about rookie from Indiana currently rehabbing thumb injury.  I believe they can have 16 players on roster and 13 max can dress for game.  It may help Elmore get a look at the G league but he may also be better off playing over seas. Really his best situation will be any situation where he gets lots of PT vs best competition he can.

Celtics are 3-0 so will almost certainly make 8 team single elimination playoffs, so they have at least 2 more games.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Herdmeister

Offline herdfifteen

« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2019, 09:59:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Always, a great description of Mike D, and even with all his success he remains the same person you describe.

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD

Offline HerdKelly

« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2019, 10:53:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You want a player who wants to play and wants the ball.  Most NBA coaches, not all, are pretty up front about what to expect in your role.  He only played 6 minutes on Tues but had a +3, 2 assts, 0 TO's, and 0-1 from field.  Again very solid for a guy auditioning for playing time elsewhere or in future. According to Boston press, the most likely guys from summer roster to make big club are R.Williams (already under contract), rookie F Grant Williams, rookie G T Waters, M Strous, and possibly G Edwards and/or even Taco Fall.  Not sure about rookie from Indiana currently rehabbing thumb injury.  I believe they can have 16 players on roster and 13 max can dress for game.  It may help Elmore get a look at the G league but he may also be better off playing over seas. Really his best situation will be any situation where he gets lots of PT vs best competition he can.

Celtics are 3-0 so will almost certainly make 8 team single elimination playoffs, so they have at least 2 more games.

Langford (the rookie from Indiana) is definitely making the team.  He was a lottery pick.  Likewise with Grant Williams, a first round pick.  Carsen Edwards (early second round pick) will also make the team. 

NBA teams get 15 roster spots (only 13 can be active for each game).  (Counting the three draft picks above) The Celtics were at 15 before they waived Yabusele. 

NBA teams also get 2 players they can sign on two way contracts.  The are assigned to the G League and can be called up to the NBA during the season.  The Celtics signed Tremont Waters and 
    Max Strus as their 2 two-way players. 

Boston now has one open roster spot after waiving Yabusele.  They could transfer a two way contract to a full NBA contract, add a free agent or sign someone off the summer league roster like Taco Fall.

celticsblog.com is a good resource on the roster spots/contracts/etc.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2019, 06:56:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Bodes well for Jon.  8)
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

Offline mu79grad

« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2019, 12:28:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Jon got in the last 4:02 of the game tonight, a 113-87 win versus the Memphis Grizzlies.  He took two shots, one a three-pointer, and he did not score.  Dan Dakich mentioned that Jon will be playing for the West Virginia Wildcats next week in the "The Basketball Tournament" (TBT).  The first game is Friday, July 19th, televised on ESPN 2.  The TBT is the tournament where DeAndre Kane's team, Overseas Elite, has dominated the last three years.  I'm not sure if Kane will be playing this year.  On another note, Grayson Allen, from Duke, got ejected from the Celtics-Grizzlies game for two flagrant fouls in the span of about two minutes.  The announcers showed Allen no mercy.
    « Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 01:07:06 AM by mu79grad »

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline MUonium

« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2019, 10:02:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Offline sardistim

« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2019, 12:58:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's obvious Jon is not making the Celtics roster -- when you play less than 10 minutes a game in the summer league, it ain't happening.  But hopefully this experience gives him a shot in Europe or the developmental league.

He certainly gave Marshall everything he had for 4 years.  Wishing him the best and hoping he will get to choose among a couple of options.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2019, 12:58:45 PM »

Offline mu79grad

« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2019, 09:16:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Celtics will open the Summer League tournament as the number one seed taking on Memphis at 4:30 pm. (Eastern Time) tomorrow (Saturday) on ESPN.  It would be nice to see Jon get to play a little more but I'm not holding my breath. 

Here is the complete Summer League Tournament schedule:  https://www.nba.com/article/2019/07/12/summer-league-2019-tournament-schedule-official-release

Offline pembrook burrows III

« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2019, 12:42:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In a very sad turn of events, Tremont Waters' father was found dead of a suicide yesterday in Connecticut. Waters has been the starting point guard for this Celtics summer league team, and no statement has been made about Waters' plans for the weekend. Waters had played very well for this dominant squad, and had earned himself a 2-way contract with the Celtics. Past media articles indicate he was very close to his father, so keep this young man in your thoughts as you follow the final games of the summer league.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2019, 01:10:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dang I hate to hear that but hope this gives Elmore the opportunity to get more playing time and show what he can do. Hope he takes the opportunity and runs with it.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2019, 01:10:03 PM »