Author Topic: If there is a coaching change in the next couple...  (Read 1862 times)

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

If there is a coaching change in the next couple...
« on: November 13, 2017, 05:15:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • of years?  Who would you like to see interviewed? Off of the top of my head, I would see former Herd RB Coach and current Miami(FL) OC Robert Brown get a look.

The following users thanked this post: breckjimison

HerdFans.com

If there is a coaching change in the next couple...
    « on: November 13, 2017, 05:15:58 PM »

Offline CoachSkip

Re: If there is a coaching change in the next couple...
    « Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 05:52:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Going to have to be someone who works cheap.
    It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance . --- Thomas Sowell
    If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. --- Ronald Reagan
    Character , not circumstances , make the man. --- Booker T Washington
    Bill Nye is an i d i o t
    Ive never killed a mountain lion with my bare hands but Ive choked a few cougars .

The following users thanked this post: ed swain

Offline Apollo

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 06:38:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Someone with success at another level, younger guy wanting to move up who will take what we can pay, has balls, no ties to MU or WVU.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, The E-Man, goherd24, THECHAMPISHERE

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 06:43:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1

Which is doable. We could half Doc's salary and get a better coach. We have nowhere to go but up. One of the great things about hiring a smart, successful but unproven (in the FBS) young buck, is you can pay him like an unproven young buck FBS coach. Then hope he is good enough to leave in 3-4 years, then try again. If you don't get a good one the next time around you let him go in 2 years at a cheap buyout and try again. No contracts longer than 4 years.

Someone was making fun of WKU the other day calling them step ladder U or something. Boy I wish we could make the type of hires that would make us "step ladder U" someday.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. At the mid-major level your coach is either good enough to get hired away, or he's not good enough. We should never have a coach here as long as Doc's been here and definitely not more than a decade. We're not Penn St. or Florida St. or Oklahoma. If this is a coach's last stop we are in trouble. We need to be first stop U if anything.
    « Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 06:49:30 PM by THECHAMPISHERE »

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, herdfan129

Online Gaylen

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 08:47:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That Saban guy ain't bad.

Offline ThunderValley

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 09:03:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That Saban guy ain't bad.

Guys like Saban have to start somewhere. Maybe we can get lucky and get one.

Offline svherd

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 07:25:50 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • A young guy at the FCS level who has a proven track record of being a motivator and offensive guru. He would immediately double his salary here. Jmo

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, THECHAMPISHERE

Offline herdman

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 07:35:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Why is that? Our current coach makes around 800 grand or so. Why is that cheap? For our peer teams that is pretty good. 800 Large in Huntington WV is a very nice salary. Plus, Marshall is patient with coaches. You are going to get 5 years at least(unless you leave on your own will).

Why do people think Marshall doesn't pay well? 

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 07:50:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If looking for older, more established coach who has had a measure of success, Jim Grobe is a name coach.

If you're looking at the FCS ranks, the James Madison coach deserves a look.

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 08:12:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • If looking for older, more established coach who has had a measure of success, Jim Grobe is a name coach.

If you're looking at the FCS ranks, the James Madison coach deserves a look.

Jmu coach has  improved the win total of any program he's been at every year.  But these players aren't all his.  But he's motivating and winning with guys he didn't recruit which is a good sign.

Ga. Bulldogs OC is a good offensive coach.  Worked at Pitt in 16 and NFL experience with Drew Brees and at Purdue with Bree's.  I remember those old Purdue offenses.  Lethal.

Look at what Heater did when he replaced Rippon. D was instantly better.  If we can do this again on the OC side the Herd would be a very tough team to beat with reliable ST.
    We currently avg 375 yards offense a game in college football.  Not the NFL.  That low of offensive production can not win every game.
    « Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 08:19:04 AM by MicDrass1 »

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 08:18:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why is that? Our current coach makes around 800 grand or so. Why is that cheap? For our peer teams that is pretty good. 800 Large in Huntington WV is a very nice salary. Plus, Marshall is patient with coaches. You are going to get 5 years at least(unless you leave on your own will).

Why do people think Marshall doesn't pay well?

Over half of the schools in our conference make more than Doc.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline svherd

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 08:32:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Over half of the schools in our conference make more than Doc.

Doc makes around 800K total package according to the last reports published. If we bump that up to 850K for any new HC, that makes for a damn good living in the Huntington, WV area. Cost of living is much less there than many CUSA cities. Not to mention a loaner car, house payment, etc. that usually comes with these deals.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 08:32:27 AM »

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 11:05:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Guys, I have already provided links to prove that there are a LOT of good P5 level OC's who are making $400k/year or less. They would all double their money to come be the HC of Marshall.

If we are talking about replacing Legg, then I think we should look at an explosive FCS offense, or getting a good QB coach from one of the top college offenses.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline MUinDE

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 02:04:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would go after JMU’s Mike Houston in a big, big way. Guy has won everywhere on multiple levels.

Offline TheTruth

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 02:24:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think that, if what the folks in the NFL say is true, we should all start to hope that Byron Leftwich has interest in coaching at the college level. I think he still has to put in time as an OC before we consider him ready to head the ship. Maybe by 2025?

Offline Apollo

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 02:26:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think that, if what the folks in the NFL say is true, we should all start to hope that Byron Leftwich has interest in coaching at the college level. I think he still has to put in time as an OC before we consider him ready to head the ship. Maybe by 2025?
    Why on Earth would he drop down and take huge cuts in salary from coaching in the NFL to come here? Especially seeing the success he has so far at that level. Won't happen. More likely to get Chad to coach here and we all know that won't happen. Not to mention he doesn't have to recruit, doesn't have to deal with academics and every other headache at the college level. I'd like to see it. Don't get me wrong, but not happening.

Offline herdman

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 02:41:29 PM »
  • [Like]3
  • [Dislike]0
  • Over half of the schools in our conference make more than Doc.

So that leaves about half that make less.  I have looked up salaries. Doc is paid pretty well. Has some nice perks in a low cost of living area and has received contract extensions. A new coach is going to get at least 5 years based  on history as Marshall is very patient with coaches. Unless they are a total disaster but MU was patient even with Snyder.

MU is a pretty good job. We have had some good coaches who either set themselves up nicely for a new job or retirement(doc and even legg).  Pruett did well for himself. Chaump got a job at Navy out of it. Parish got a good gig. Donnan hit an elite job at Georgia. Doc walks off well to do when he retires.

I am not buying the woe is me crying a river about the job at Marshall. It is FAR from a dead end street job.  People need to stop selling the program short and the woe is me crap spewing from the AD.
    « Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:46:02 PM by herdman »

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, MUinDE

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 02:44:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Would love to see Leftwich roaming the sidelines in Htown, but only if he really wants the job. Doc would really have to change his mindset, as Leftwich will likely want a pro-style, aerial offense

Pipe dream, but fun to talk about..............

Offline herdgameplan

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 02:46:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Tony Petersen ?

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, The E-Man

Offline MarshallManiac

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 02:56:26 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Somebody with absolutely NO TIES to Marshall University.

The following users thanked this post: THECHAMPISHERE

Offline TheTruth

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 03:02:45 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]-1
  • Would love to see Leftwich roaming the sidelines in Htown, but only if he really wants the job. Doc would really have to change his mindset, as Leftwich will likely want a pro-style, aerial offense

Pipe dream, but fun to talk about..............

Leftwich needs to work in the pros for a few more years before he comes back here. OC a team there.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 03:04:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Somebody with absolutely NO TIES to Marshall University.

Why not Petersen? The last successful Marshall coach played here, I'm talking about the great Bobby Pruett.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 03:04:43 PM »

Offline HaveUherd

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 03:06:18 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • Stan Parrish was a good example of a young up and comer with no ties to Marshall.

It'll never happen again with Hamrick.

As I've said before, he's the root of all the problems.

The following users thanked this post: MUinDE, The E-Man, QuickStrike

Offline TheTruth

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 03:48:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why not Petersen? The last successful Marshall coach played here, I'm talking about the great Bobby Pruett.

So did Mark Snyder so we're shooting 50%. I just think big picture Leftwich is a better sell to recruits than Peterson.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 03:53:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So did Mark Snyder so we're shooting 50%. I just think big picture Leftwich is a better sell to recruits than Peterson.

Any coach would be better than Doc Holliday, who you're defending adamantly! You're either "a relative or you work in the Shewey Building"

The following users thanked this post: MUinDE, HaveUherd, THECHAMPISHERE

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 03:53:04 PM »