Author Topic: SHR Smith Contributes to Keith-Albee Performing Arts Center  (Read 667 times)

Online Flat Tire 2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I saw on social media that Brad Smith and his wife have pledged $1 Million toward capital improvements at the Keith-Albee. The Keith is one of the real treasures of Huntington and West Virginia.

https://www.wsaz.com/2024/04/29/mu-president-brad-smith-wife-alys-donate-1m-keith-albee-restoration-project/
    « Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 08:01:58 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: luvherd, Garbanjo, herd1990, herdfan93, svherd, HoPPy785

HerdFans.com

Offline svherd

Re: SHR Smith Contributes to Keith-Albee Performing Arts Center
    « Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 07:23:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The man continues to put this school and town on his back. Well done. Our city leaders need to step up.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herd1990, herddds, HoPPy785

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2024, 07:37:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I used to love going to movies there. Such a unique experience compared to the cookie cutter mega theaters.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, chris88, miltonherdfan, GreenDaddy, Herdalum94

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 09:19:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Playing devil's advocate here. Any money invested in Huntington is good...I guess....but how many millions has been thrown into the Keith Albee over the last 40 years? Boy this thing seems like a money pit. It seems like it is perpetually in a state of needing $$$$$. Wonder what 10 million in something else could have done. We give the Keith Albee a Mil...it still needs a Mil a month later. It is a beautiful place...but it's just a theatre. Wonder what 10 Mil in a committee that works full time to attract large corporations to Huntington could have done...

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129, herdorbust2

Offline s1uggo

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2024, 09:20:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Appreciated INTU stock would be the guess good strategy. Now we just need about 20 more gifts like that to bring the Keith back to the glory it deserves

Offline whf

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2024, 09:34:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good for him, the Albee, I think, is still the headquarters for the Marshall Artist Series and many other things. All old venues like this require constant updating and upgrading. It is a great part of Marshall, and will be for years to come. Also, a mainstay for the downtown area of Huntington and its "culture". Good on you, Brad and Alys.............we appreciate it.

The following users thanked this post: luvherd, Garbanjo, goherd73, svherd

Offline herdman22

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2024, 09:55:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Keith could be doing what the Paramount does in Ashland. They have a great variety of shows there and events going on all the time. We've been to many shows there. I'm sure it brings his money to Ashland. The Keith could be doing much more than just the Artist Series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, banker

Offline herdfan93

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2024, 10:28:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Playing devil's advocate here. Any money invested in Huntington is good...I guess....but how many millions has been thrown into the Keith Albee over the last 40 years? Boy this thing seems like a money pit. It seems like it is perpetually in a state of needing $$$$$. Wonder what 10 million in something else could have done. We give the Keith Albee a Mil...it still needs a Mil a month later. It is a beautiful place...but it's just a theatre. [b]Wonder what 10 Mil in a committee that works full time to attract large corporations to Huntington could have done.[/b]..
    [/b]

Not much I would think since there's no housing to accommodate such a move by a large corp. jmo

The following users thanked this post: coalherd

Offline goherd73

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2024, 10:49:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Keith will be dark for the next year due to major rehabbing of electric, plumbing, fire suppression and dressing and prep rooms rebuild.
    The Artist Series activities were held on campus this year.

When they reopen in 2025 all 2000+ seats will have been replaced. All carpeting will be replaced by the original design carpeting, the same that was installed nearly 100 years ago! As well are refurbished backstage rooms and areas.

Remember, the Keith is not only the home of the Artist Series but also the Huntington Symphony Orchestra and several Film festivals. As well as many graduations, reunions and convocations. Several shows that need something smaller than the Civic Center's 7,000 seats are held here. Once reopened it will be larger than the Paramount by 500-700 seats.

The million dollar donation from the Smith's will help match the multi-million dollar Federal and State grants as well as major Art grants.
    You can bet that any large corporations considering Huntington will look at what cultural activities are available.
    You know it's a selling point when we recruit Faculty members and Physicians for our Hospitals and Med Center. You know it will be a selling point in hiring the men and women in the new facilities planned for Fourth Ave.

How lucky we are to have a facility like the Keith. How many cities the size of Huntington or larger have anything like the Keith? And we have the local support to rebuild and maintain it. To have the Paramount in Ashland and the Keith Albee in Huntington, only a few miles apart. It's something that should make the  Tri-State proud.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, yogiherd, herdfan93, parshall2marshall, svherd, whf, wasbarryb, s1uggo, elginherd, GreenDaddy

Offline coalherd

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2024, 11:55:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huntington, its government and people have done a pretty good job overall, IMO, in supporting and keeping the KA viable for all these decades.  That includes the MU community also.  A local State Senator, sorry his name escapes me at the moment, from Cabell/Wayne has worked hard in trying to obtain funding for upkeep, and improvements, from both State and private sources.

The Keith Albee is in lot better shape than a smaller, but comparable venue, the Municipal Auditorium, in the State Capitol City.  This, despite the fact that Huntington venue is years older.  Charleston is in a conundrum currently trying to decide whether to improve the Auditorium or raze and replace it, and in finding the funding to do either!!

Support the KEITH ALBEE!!!

The following users thanked this post: goherd73, elginherd

Online elginherd

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2024, 07:48:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I used to love going to movies there. Such a unique experience compared to the cookie cutter mega theaters.

Until they cut it up into 3 smaller theaters.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2024, 07:54:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Keith opened on May 7, 1928. I believed the theater is also being brought up to fire and safety standards to pass building codes. A building nearly 100 years old is going to need repairs and updating. The cost of building a facility like the Keith would be prohibitive in this day and age.   A lot of former Marshall students got their first cultural experience seeing a Broadway touring company doing a play or seeing B.B. King and other great artists at the Keith. 

If you are going to attract "large corporations" to to the area, you need cultural events to attract high paying jobs. Some people are not interested in going to Ona to watch car races. The Artists Series even helps to attract good professors and students to Marshall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith-Albee_Theatre
    « Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 08:30:08 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, goherd73, svherd, s1uggo, coalherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2024, 07:54:41 AM »

Offline s1uggo

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2024, 07:59:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huntington, its government and people have done a pretty good job overall, IMO, in supporting and keeping the KA viable for all these decades.  That includes the MU community also.  A local State Senator, sorry his name escapes me at the moment, from Cabell/Wayne has worked hard in trying to obtain funding for upkeep, and improvements, from both State and private sources.

The Keith Albee is in lot better shape than a smaller, but comparable venue, the Municipal Auditorium, in the State Capitol City.  This, despite the fact that Huntington venue is years older.  Charleston is in a conundrum currently trying to decide whether to improve the Auditorium or raze and replace it, and in finding the funding to do either!!

Support the KEITH ALBEE!!!

Bob Plymale i believe

The following users thanked this post: svherd, coalherd

Offline svherd

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2024, 08:15:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Keith could be doing what the Paramount does in Ashland. They have a great variety of shows there and events going on all the time. We've been to many shows there. I'm sure it brings his money to Ashland. The Keith could be doing much more than just the Artist Series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe a private group bought the Paramount and have shows scheduled almost weekly. I guess they need to and bring money in, to pay off the purchase price. Some decent acts have been there lately.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline s1uggo

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2024, 01:46:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I believe a private group bought the Paramount and have shows scheduled almost weekly. I guess they need to and bring money in, to pay off the purchase price. Some decent acts have been there lately.
    Actually I think the acts for the Paramount are being paid w Covid money

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline Jbabbington

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2024, 04:36:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not a theatre buff, but I've been to a good bit - especially in Chicago. The Keith Albee might be the most beautiful theatre I have been in. It is also very large compared to your average theatre. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the KA is (or at least was) in the top 30 largest capacity theaters.

The fact that we were able to raise $27 million for this project and are only $3 million short is remarkable.

I also believe that the KA will surpass the Paramount once again as the premier theatre in the TST. The Paramount is doing a great job bringing in acts, but the majority of these acts are artists that have been pushed aside and are looking for a quick pay day. Like I do not care about Howie Mandel or some band that the original lead singer isn't even apart of anymore. The Keith Albee though, although not as frequent, seems able to book huge names that you would not expect in a tri state theatre.

Since I've been here (2016) the KA has booked Steve Martin and Martin Short, Broadways Come From Away, Tedeschi Trucks Band, Mikey Day, Molly Ringwald, Broadway's Annie, Gavin Degraw, Andy Grammar, Pippin, John Mulaney, Chicago, Five For Fighting, Barenaked Ladies, Jersey Boys, Chase Rice, and America.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, s1uggo

Online marshallmark

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2024, 05:11:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not a theatre buff, but I've been to a good bit - especially in Chicago. The Keith Albee might be the most beautiful theatre I have been in. It is also very large compared to your average theatre. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the KA is (or at least was) in the top 30 largest capacity theaters.

The fact that we were able to raise $27 million for this project and are only $3 million short is remarkable.

I also believe that the KA will surpass the Paramount once again as the premier theatre in the TST. The Paramount is doing a great job bringing in acts, but the majority of these acts are artists that have been pushed aside and are looking for a quick pay day. Like I do not care about Howie Mandel or some band that the original lead singer isn't even apart of anymore. The Keith Albee though, although not as frequent, seems able to book huge names that you would not expect in a tri state theatre.

Since I've been here (2016) the KA has booked Steve Martin and Martin Short, Broadways Come From Away, Tedeschi Trucks Band, Mikey Day, Molly Ringwald, Broadway's Annie, Gavin Degraw, Andy Grammar, Pippin, John Mulaney, Chicago, Five For Fighting, Barenaked Ladies, Jersey Boys, Chase Rice, and America.

The Keith has some inherent problems that I'm not sure can be rectified.  The quality of shows has clearly dipped in the past 5+ years, in large part b/c Charleston is actively recruiting the 'one and done' shows that the Artist Series used to thrive on.  The Clay Center is a superb facility - almost as large as the Keith (1850 vs. 2200), and it has a modern loading, much more room in the wings, and modern dressing rooms.  Years ago, the Paramount added a section onto the back of the theater, allowing it to add hundreds of seats (total capacity now 1400) and to add loading/unloading facilities that fit a tractor/trailer.  The Keith still uses the alley behind the facility, with unloading mostly by hand.  There was some talk years ago about blocking off the alley between 9th and 10th Streets to let the Keith expand its loading capabilities, but I think the City wouldn't let that happen b/c of the inability to get emergency vehicles through. 

I'm just hoping that they bring back that good popcorn...
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Offline Jbabbington

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2024, 05:38:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Keith has some inherent problems that I'm not sure can be rectified.  The quality of shows has clearly dipped in the past 5+ years, in large part b/c Charleston is actively recruiting the 'one and done' shows that the Artist Series used to thrive on.  The Clay Center is a superb facility - almost as large as the Keith (1850 vs. 2200), and it has a modern loading, much more room in the wings, and modern dressing rooms.  Years ago, the Paramount added a section onto the back of the theater, allowing it to add hundreds of seats (total capacity now 1400) and to add loading/unloading facilities that fit a tractor/trailer.  The Keith still uses the alley behind the facility, with unloading mostly by hand.  There was some talk years ago about blocking off the alley between 9th and 10th Streets to let the Keith expand its loading capabilities, but I think the City wouldn't let that happen b/c of the inability to get emergency vehicles through. 

I'm just hoping that they bring back that good popcorn...

This current renovation is aiming to rectify some of those issues, such as modernizing the stage and dressing rooms. The loading issue definitely is a glaring issue  though, I didn't know they were still doing that by hand.

As for competing with Charleston, I hope that the KA brings some good promoters on board along with staff that have those connections to draw the big names here.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Flat Tire 2

Online MU93

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2024, 07:02:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Only a few of this designer?s theaters left.  Cool coincidence is there is  a very similar theatre in Columbus but it?s by a different dude, obviously was the preferred theatre style in this area and era.

Online marshallmark

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2024, 09:42:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As for competing with Charleston, I hope that the KA brings some good promoters on board along with staff that have those connections to draw the big names here.

I'd be curious to see how the Keith will work with and compliment the Artist Series.  I know there's been some pushback in the past between the entities - seems like they should work together hand/glove since both are Marshall entities. 

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline Jbabbington

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2024, 09:57:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd be curious to see how the Keith will work with and compliment the Artist Series.  I know there's been some pushback in the past between the entities - seems like they should work together hand/glove since both are Marshall entities.

There's two separate entities? I would have assumed that when Marshall purchased everything would fall under them. If not, yeah I hope they work together positively as well.

Online marshallmark

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2024, 10:09:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There's two separate entities? I would have assumed that when Marshall purchased everything would fall under them. If not, yeah I hope they work together positively as well.

The Artist Series is a direct Marshall branch.  The Keith is a Marshall Foundation-created 501(c)(3) to support the building and the performing arts.

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: Jbabbington

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2024, 10:09:47 AM »

Offline svherd

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2024, 01:50:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • One of the more enjoyable shows we've seen was a few years ago, the Huntington Symphony did the score live while they showed Breakfast at Tiffany's on the big screen, that was very cool and very well done. Like to see them do that again. Would like to see more adult contemporary artists as well.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

HerdFans.com

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2024, 01:50:34 PM »