Author Topic: Mike D resigns  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Olen

Re: Mike D resigns
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2014, 10:48:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd slow down, boys. There's a whole lot of reason to think that MD's going to have a few other options on the table, at least at the pro level.

Hey, Johnny Raincloud - we haven't even bought the tissue paper to make the floats for our victory parade, and you are already raining all over it.  Let us lunatics alone and allow us to celebrate and debauch as we desire.   ;D

** j/k **

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2014, 10:48:08 PM »

Offline Bleed_Kelly_Green

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2014, 10:53:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My view....Jeff Goodman and Gary Parrish can stick it regardless if Mike D. joins the staff. Heck with those guys. If they really knew anything about basketball they would be on the sidelines coaching the game and making the big dollars.

I agree. But I'd really like to see them eat crow on a national stage really soon rather than when Danny D has The Herd winning.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2014, 11:09:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hamrick said during the press conference that it didn't matter which one got the job, they were coming with each other. I've been expecting this since then.

He meant that as it didnt matter which one we hire. I highly doubt we see mike here as a coach. But would be awesome

Offline lovetheherd2

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2014, 11:19:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well. If Mike gets a chair on the side of the court then my view of this hire will change!!!!

Nope Slee, no pass given here.

Just keep your views as they have been stated.   ;D

No reason to jump on board until the train get's rollin'

OH YEAH, and BRING ON THE HERD!!!!!!!      8)    8)

Offline HerdnClt

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2014, 11:26:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Happy for him he is out of that mess in LA whatever happens. 
    "The Herd #1"

Offline Wulfegang

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2014, 12:50:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Three things:

1) With the injuries and players/front office against him, what chance did he have.

2) Screw you Magic Johnson. At least be a professional and wish him luck: "@MagicJohnson Happy days are here again! Mike D'Antoni resigns as the Lakers coach. I couldn't be happier!"

3) I wonder how fast Hamrick and Dan were on the phone after this announcement.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2014, 01:01:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Three things:

1) With the injuries and players/front office against him, what chance did he have.

2) Screw you Magic Johnson. At least be a professional and wish him luck: "@MagicJohnson Happy days are here again! Mike D'Antoni resigns as the Lakers coach. I couldn't be happier!"

After? I'd be a whole lot more inclined to think that both of them knew this was coming well before the announcement.

Offline Wulfegang

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2014, 01:09:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • After? I'd be a whole lot more inclined to think that both of them knew this was coming well before the announcement.

Well, I felt obliged to say after with all of the misinformation, rumors, and who knows what else has been "reported" through this entire thing LOL. I agree that this was discussed a lot before hiring Dan but I didn't want to sound like a "Done Deal".
    Also, please don't take me saying that as calling anyone else out by thinking it was planned all along. I am just a former (still?) band geek and do not know much about the search and hiring of coaches.

Offline VA Herd Fan

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2014, 01:13:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • isn't this scenario very similar to what Smock wrote?  we hire a cach, Mike leaves LA.
    Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.  Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.  Mark Twain

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2014, 01:13:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hey, Johnny Raincloud - we haven't even bought the tissue paper to make the floats for our victory parade, and you are already raining all over it.  Let us lunatics alone and allow us to celebrate and debauch as we desire.   ;D

** j/k **

Doesn't "debauching" sound like it should be painful... ?

Offline Wulfegang

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2014, 01:16:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Doesn't "debauching" sound like it should be painful... ?

Sounds like it chafes a lot.

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2014, 04:08:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am just a former (still?) band geek and do not know much about the search and hiring of coaches.

I wouldn't worry about that. Throughout this long process, pretty much everyone that thought they knew something about some things ended up pretty much not knowing anything about anything. The "insider" info and powers of deduction did not exceed band geek powers.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2014, 04:08:31 AM »

Offline Wulfegang

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2014, 04:18:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wouldn't worry about that. Throughout this long process, pretty much everyone that thought they knew something about some things ended up pretty much not knowing anything about anything. The "insider" info and powers of deduction did not exceed band geek powers.

Nicely put! People greatly underestimate our power of walking beside each other in step.  ;D

If we could land a group of assistants that consisted of M. D'Antoni, Duhon, and Battle I would amazed and very excited. It would have been nice to have Fulford in that group but I can understand and respect his decision. We may benefit a lot more by him staying at Huntington Prep in the long run. Has anyone heard about the status of Cline yet?

Offline MUther

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2014, 04:33:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nicely put! People greatly underestimate our power of walking beside each other in step.  ;D

If we could land a group of assistants that consisted of M. D'Antoni, Duhon, and Battle I would amazed and very excited. It would have been nice to have Fulford in that group but I can understand and respect his decision. We may benefit a lot more by him staying at Huntington Prep in the long run. Has anyone heard about the status of Cline yet?

Question about Cline...

Why is everyone so high on him and wants him to stay?  I'm not gonna bash him or anything, but I do know for a fact Herrion put him on foul shooting a couple years ago.  The team did not improve one iota and actually dropped in team percent.  After Dago missed like 3 in a row on a 3-point foul one season I saw Herrion explode on Cline.  So why is it that we want(ed) him as an interim coach or to remain as an assistant?  My vote is to clean house and make it all shiny and new.  Continuity is overrated, especially with what we'd be continuing.

Offline svherd

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2014, 07:41:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would say Mike will land with another NBA team in some capacity AND be around the CAM more than a few times as a "consultant". I don't think he will come on board as an assistant. jmo. That said, I do think he will help Danny as much as possible.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline LUVTHATHERD

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2014, 07:58:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Three things:

Johnson can shove his cry baby lakers where the sun don't shine!!!  The lakers have more problems than you can shake a stick at and that is not Mike's fault!! 

Online The Right Stuff

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2014, 08:33:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What MUther said. 8)

TRS
    MU 71

Offline Olen

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2014, 10:08:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Doesn't "debauching" sound like it should be painful... ?

Only if you are doing it wrong . . .   ;)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #43 on: May 01, 2014, 10:20:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wouldn't worry about that. Throughout this long process, pretty much everyone that thought they knew something about some things ended up pretty much not knowing anything about anything. The "insider" info and powers of deduction did not exceed band geek powers.

Ha, ain't that the truth. Hamrick did a fine job of keeping things close to the vest.

Offline Wulfegang

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2014, 10:26:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Question about Cline...

Why is everyone so high on him and wants him to stay?  I'm not gonna bash him or anything, but I do know for a fact Herrion put him on foul shooting a couple years ago.  The team did not improve one iota and actually dropped in team percent.  After Dago missed like 3 in a row on a 3-point foul one season I saw Herrion explode on Cline.  So why is it that we want(ed) him as an interim coach or to remain as an assistant?  My vote is to clean house and make it all shiny and new.  Continuity is overrated, especially with what we'd be continuing.

Oh, I am not high on Cline I was just wondering about him. I know nothing about him but wasn't sure if he was still with us or not. If he isn't then that opens another spot for an assistant. I'm not sure how many we would need but it would be nice to know if we are starting with a staff consisting of nothing but D'Antoni guys. Thanks for pointing out his involvement in the free throw aspect. I'm excited to see who Dan brings on board and no matter how I feel about him (once I research them) I am going to support them and hope they make Marshall basketball something to be proud of and other teams dread playing us. Need to get the glow sticks back in full force!

Offline cincymike

« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2014, 12:31:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Jeff Battle would be a huge hire with all his experience as an assistant. If he was good enough for the late, great Skip Prosser (hired him as an assitantat 3 different schools), then he is good enough for me.  Jeff, no doubt, has turned down head coaching opportunities in the recent past due to the illness of his wife at the time, her premature passing, and the responsibility to provide stability for his teenage son.  That son, I believe, is graduating high school this month and Jeff is now free to move on. 

I'm very excited that he has expressed interest in joining the Herd.  That hire should take care of any concerns about Dan's lack of experience in the area of compliance and recruiting should he decide to go with Jeff.

In regards to Mike and his availability, the emotion that Dan exhibited upon getting his dream job suggests to me that he is the present and future Head Coach of the Herd.  I don't see Mike being willing to take away any of the spotlight from his brother in an official capacity, although I would guess that he will be around from time to time.  Time will tell.

Offline sleeinwv

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2014, 10:51:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nope Slee, no pass given here.

Just keep your views as they have been stated.   ;D

No reason to jump on board until the train get's rollin'

OH YEAH, and BRING ON THE HERD!!!!!!!      8)    8)

I look at that like this......your comment don't mean crap to me and this hire won't mean anything unless Mike is on the bench.  Mike brings a lot more to the table than Dan. So that's the only reason I'll change my mind on this.  Unless Dan takes  MU to the NCAA's which will be a big task to achieve.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2014, 10:51:58 PM »

Offline BuyNtelos4

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2014, 02:24:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You are like the energizer bunny... STILL GOING. 

I have had much respect for you in the past, but really wish you'd could be denied access to the bandwagon once we start rolling, which I think will be evident much sooner than later.  We have all known how you feel since 10 minutes after the announcement.

What exactly is the point, or what are you trying to accomplish by still raining on everyone's parade, and seemingly smearing dog crap all over the school and athletic programs we all love so much.  Dan isn't going to stop being our coach anytime in the next 5 years, and if he sucks bad enough that his tenure is that short, I think we will all happily eat crow and allow you to be happy and gloat, and I certainly hope that will make you feel good. 

Really though, you are supposedly a fan of Marshall Athletics, and this is who has been chosen to take our program to new heights.  I'm sure there are many of us who have concerns about the hire, but we love our University and cheer and root for it to have success regardless of how we feel about it's leader, at least until that leader has proven himself unworthy.   Those of us who do have concerns, perhaps voiced them, perhaps kept them buried, but ultimately have decided as we always do, to hope for the best, and root for, support, and cheer like crazy for this coach, obviously hoping he has huge success because that means our basketball program is having huge success.  If and when he proves to be unworthy, then at that time we will voice our displeasure. 

Dan chose to bring his talents here to play college basketball, was very good, and has had a very successful 30+ year career coaching basketball.  He, at least as much as anyone else, has definitely earned this opportunity.  Why is it that you, as a fan of Marshall, absolutely refuse to let it go and get behind this guy and give him your support and hope for his success. 

I swear, you have taken your displeasure about everything Dan D'antoni so far, and I am fairly sure at this point that your are truly hoping for him to fail so that you will be right, because you are absolutely the only person who still continues to refuse to support him, and to absolutely smear him and everything about him from his experience to the staff he chooses.

Really, your a Marshalm fan. No matter how much or how long you complain you aren't gonna get a different coach to to support for at least 4-5 years, and if Dan fails, then that also means Marshall fails, and I can't imagine wanting that. 

Please, honestly, tell me why you still insist on the constant complaining, and why you absolutely refuse to get behind your school, it's athletic director, its basketball program, and its coach who is an alum who has finally been given his dream job.  There isn't a better feel good stir out there.  Only a <£|* would not be rooting for this guy to succeed whether it was his favorite team or not.  I'd just like to understand why you can't let it go and be a fan hoping for the best, like the rest of us.

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2014, 02:50:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • $ cat olen.txt | sed -e s/herdalicious/Slee/g
    "Slee doesn't want us to think outside the box. He wants us to behave like sheep, not showing any inclination to saunter off in a direction other than that in which the shepherd (Slee) wants us to go. Slee intends to keep us sheep blissfully ignorant of the fact that I want to remove the misunderstanding that he has created in the minds of myriad people throughout the world. I want to do this not because I need to tack another line onto my resume but because I think I know why so many obstinate fruitcakes oppose the visceral views of 98 percent of the nation's citizens. It's because Slee has whipped them into a blind frenzy by telling them that he never engages in contumelious, iscariotic, or deluded politics. Unfortunately for Slee, the ground truth is that if I had to choose the most witless specimen from his welter of malign gabble, it would have to be his claim that the rules don't apply to him. Although I've spent most of this letter criticizing Dr. Slee, Ph.D., let me end by stating simply that I must clearly add my voice to the chorus of those who present another paradigm in opposition to Slee's acrasial, insecure manifestos."
    $
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

HerdFans.com

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2014, 02:50:31 AM »