Author Topic: #2 in the East  (Read 2196 times)

Offline Mastodon

#2 in the East
« on: November 26, 2011, 10:06:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We finished second in the east division, right?  Not too bad.

I love him, but ol' Phil Steele picked us fifth in the east ahead of only Memphis.

The poster formerly known as Blood & Thunder

HerdFans.com

#2 in the East
    « on: November 26, 2011, 10:06:12 PM »

Offline Buffalo Bop

Re: #2 in the East
    « Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 10:10:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The first time we finish with a winning record (5-3) in our division. . .It's a step.

Offline jpdusa

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 10:32:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yep.   And we beat the 1st place team.  Not bad
    If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
    -Mark Twain

Offline wvmafia

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 10:46:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe the damn plan is "infallible"!

"When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows. And if you do that, if you do that, we cannot lose."

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 07:39:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • most of us tried to tell the moan and groan crowd early on about the schedule to no avail. Now here we are bowl eligible after playing the three best teams in CUSA(two of which were ranked)and two of which were on the road. All this in addition to the OOC games. Its why they ranked it more diff than anyone in the big least. 5 home games and losing a QB that was emerging as a player. Its good to be a kool aid guy today. Dam&ed good!

Online HerdEcon

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 09:15:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I remember a lot of fans saying they expected Doc to compete for a birth in the CUSA championship in year 3 or 4 of his tenure.  Well, here we are in year 2 and we took it to the last game of the season.  Had So Miss lost we would have been in the championship game.  It may not have been pretty but we were in it to the last game of the season.  Gotta give credit where credit is due. 

Hope the players and coaches make the most of the practice time leading up to the bowl game.  Whether we win or lose the bowl game the extra practice time can go a long way in preparing this team for next season's championship run.   Go Herd. 

Offline Dreamherd

• Heisman
    « Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 09:22:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good news:  We have Cato
    Bad news: We don't have Curry
    Prediction:  Next season will be like this season

Offline GK4Herd

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 09:34:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good news:  We have Cato
    Bad news: We don't have Curry
    Prediction:  Next season will be like this season

What you have to factor in is next year's schedule will look nothing like this year's schedule. We had only 5 home games and our crossover games were to teams who will be losing coaches, senior record setting qbs, and tons of seniors. Think about how many conference teams on our schedule had qbs that were seniors. If the WVU game goes away because of the B12 thing then we could potentially win a lot more ball games without even having to improve...which I believe we will.

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 09:59:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Some more fun facts:

Second year that Doc finishes strong winning three out of last four games. In both seasons, the first half of the schedules have been top heavy.

Doc goes five-for-five in winning all the close games of a TD or less. The next closest loss was to ucf by ten. And that loss is what probably kept us out of the CUSA Championship game.

Offline LetsDoThis

• Varsity
    • Member Since 09/2011
    « Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 01:11:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What you have to factor in is next year's schedule will look nothing like this year's schedule. We had only 5 home games and our crossover games were to teams who will be losing coaches, senior record setting qbs, and tons of seniors. Think about how many conference teams on our schedule had qbs that were seniors. If the WVU game goes away because of the B12 thing then we could potentially win a lot more ball games without even having to improve...which I believe we will.

I agree 100%! We have a much more manageable schedule and honestly I think we will be improved next season. Our win total will definitely go up in my opinion. Just my take guys. GO HERD!
    GO HERD!

Offline Mastodon

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 01:16:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We could conceivably win 3 OOC games next year: Ohio, Western Carolina, and @Purdue.  And with WVU being a rivalry game, who knows with it.

The poster formerly known as Blood & Thunder

Online svherd

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 04:11:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you go buy conference record playing within our own division, we had the best of all in the East.

As for 2012, our offense has to be better. Defense and kicking game will not be as good. It will depend on the O line getting better and how well our young LB's play. 7-5 at worst.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 04:11:25 PM »

Offline IM4DHERD

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 05:48:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Also tied for 4th overall in a 12 team conference.
    Make a difference...Join the Big Green

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 05:59:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Of course we will miss our seniors, but I think as a unit we will be upgraded.

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 07:25:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't know if anybody has pointed out that 5 conference wins is the best we've ever done in our history in the C-USA.... We are moving forward as one of the best teams in the C-USA....

We might (should) be favored to win the C-USA east next year....

Offline exanimate

• Heisman
    • Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 07:27:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't know if anybody has pointed out that 5 conference wins is the best we've ever done in our history in the C-USA.... We are moving forward as one of the best teams in the C-USA....

We might (should) be favored to win the C-USA east next year....

What's Tulsa and USM losing?

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 07:39:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    What's Tulsa and USM losing

EAST CONF OVR

#24 Southern Miss 6-2 10-2
    Marshall 5-3 6-6
    East Carolina 4-4 5-7
    UCF 3-5 5-7
    UAB 3-5 3-9
    Memphis 1-7 2-10

So Miss losses their 5th yr QB....Tulsa (west div) loses G. J. Kinne (stud QB)....The East will be between us and UCF - ECU will have a new QB, as well

Offline exanimate

• Heisman
    • Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 07:48:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Gotcha. I included Tulsa, because I overlooked where you posted "east".

Offline backontrack

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 07:55:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Let's see if we can get first-rate QB play in more than three games next year...Cato was great yesterday, Graham the same vs. UAB, but too many games were not pretty...

Online svherd

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 08:03:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • USM, Tulsa and Houston lose a ton of senior starters. ECU
    Loses Davis the QB, the kicker, top receiver and a few others on both sides.
    UCF loses a few on offense and defense but not as many.

We could be co favorites with UCF.

Let's hope the coaches realize an agressive game plan on both sides is the best way to go. The kids play better with that
    mindset. Playing conservative, we lose.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline wvmafia

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 12:07:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We aren't "satisfied" with everything about the program right now, but let's face it --- we are better RIGHT NOW than we've been since 2004 (and that team is about 'even' with this team).

Like 360 said in another post, let's just enjoy this win and not talk too much about where we are headed in 2012. 

Right now, these kids who put in a lot of work for us to enjoy Herd football have another game.  They deserve our support and deserve the game. 

I love each and every one of them for what they sacrifice.  They played with a lot of heart vs. Memphis and even MORE heart on Saturday.

I TRULY believe that we are better than our record when we take the 'conservative' reigns off, but the record is what it is. 

I think that the player's 'mutiny' this week, centered around the players being upset that they are being 'held back' and I think that the staff may have listened.  I know that the game went to overtime, but I think that this game was the best offensive game we've seen here in a long, long time.  Not necessarily by yardages or score, but the offense LOOKED better than it has in MANY, MANY years.

"When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows. And if you do that, if you do that, we cannot lose."

HerdFans.com

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 12:07:15 AM »