Author Topic: ESPN BIAS  (Read 2099 times)

Offline carolinaherdfan

Re: ESPN BIAS
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 01:14:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think WVU  has evoled  the last few years into a very good bb program . WVU  is not our problem. MU is..or more precisly...phrased...Huntington. Charleston or wvu is not holding MU back...not to mention our being labled one of the most conservative Universities in America...No Academic Freedom...No freedom of speech...no freedom of thought...MU/Huntington is killing The University of Marshall....

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 01:14:34 AM »

Offline dshoe

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 07:18:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What do you expect, they are based 20 miles from UConns campus. Most of their on air guys went to the 'Cuse. They still project WVU in the dance which is total BS. That being said, I still think CUSA should go with them if they can work a deal with good cash and NO week night games for football.

Marshall and SAZ need to resurrect the old THN. We should have every football game on tv, home and away; and at least half of our basketball games. You can't beat that exposure.

by the way, the Thundering Herd Network did NOT originate on WSAZ, the first years of THN were syndicated locally to WCHS.....WSAZ, WOWK, WCHS, WVAH were just affiliates of THN, as was SportSouth, KBL, WNVT and others.......in order to resurrect the old THN, it really requires an outside entity that has the interest of selling and distributing the product at its core, not a TV station whose interests lie elsewhere or the University that lacks the in-house expertise.......

You guys can "hate" on ESPN all you want, but they were always a part of the old THN gameplan (Creative Sports and Creative Productions in the early days)..........THN evolved into an ESPNplus package of games and helped lead to increased exposure on ESPN.  Marshall's television package would have never achieved the levels it did without the ESPN close connection.

While I started THN and managed it through its entire "life", the other most important person behind the scenes (and there were several) was Bray Cary, now president of WV Media, without his support (then President of Creative Sports) THN would never have been allowed to develop........

The entire evolution of what we did with Marshall TV (often times in spite of the "powers that be") makes for a very good and interesting story.................its a shame that we/Marshall and Marshall fans, lost the opportunity due to some very bad decisions on the part of certain people, and the unfortunate lack of understanding of contractual obligations in place when MU moved from the MAC to CUSA.

Offline Johnnyherd2

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 07:46:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I personally like ESPN, but it seems that Marshall/CUSA are the "odd man out" and had to explore other options, namely Fox.  Meanwhile, ESPN is handling out a billion of here, a billion over there to the SEC and others.  Not to mention the 45 seconds a show that they talk about Non-BCs schools.  It seems to ESPN that all we are is Wednesday night filler programing. 

I think it will work out in the end.  Hopefully, we can return to some extent to ESPN and receive some respect from them.   If not I hope, we are successfull on Fox.

Offline Taft#1

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 09:30:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We know of some bad decisions that have been made , but I bet there are quite a few more we dont know about that would really piss fans off .

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2011, 01:27:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You guys can "hate" on ESPN all you want  

DShoe, I don't think Herd Fans hate ESPN. I think it's more "frustration" because ESPN hasn't "respected" CUSA in B-Ball this year and with it's scheduling of football games on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Any true Herd Fan knows ESPN has been very good to the Herd. Part of the problem is our fault for not winning. When you are winning, you will get more exposure, the networks will come calling you. Whatever happens with the new contract will be for the best for CUSA and ESPN. As for Brad Cary, he might have been instrumental back in the day, but what happend now? we are lucky to get (30 seconds of sports coverage on WOWK 13)...
    « Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 01:30:16 PM by The E-Man »

Offline wvmafia

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2011, 09:42:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My problem with ESPN, at its core, is that we aren't part of it.  ESPN is a business and they promoter their business well.  I think that the problem that I have (other than CUSA not being one of theirs) is that ESPN, at one point, was a sports NEWS network.  Now, it seems that the only newsworthy games are ones that involve ESPN conference teams. 

"When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows. And if you do that, if you do that, we cannot lose."

Offline Johnnyherd2

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #31 on: March 02, 2011, 10:06:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Now, it seems that the only newsworthy games are ones that involve ESPN conference teams.

I 've tried to check C_USA football scores on ESPN's web scoreboard and if the game is on CBSsports they won't even show the score (unless their top 25), so you know how they feel when it comes competition.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2011, 10:06:23 PM »