Author Topic: Run Terry Run  (Read 923 times)

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
  • Member Since 12/2009
Run Terry Run
« on: January 29, 2005, 03:29:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • IU drops Oregon from schedule
    Rebuilding Hoosiers didn't want to face the Pac-10 team again.

By Terry Hutchens
    terry.hutchens@indystar.com
    January 25, 2005

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Indiana University has shed Oregon from its 2005 schedule, and athletic director Rick Greenspan said Monday the school didn't have to forfeit money to do it.

IU and Oregon will not play the second of the two-game series. The Hoosiers beat the Ducks last season in Eugene, Ore.

"We exercised an option in our contract that allowed us to discontinue the series without financial ramification," Greenspan said. "We really appreciate Oregon's and ESPN's cooperation with the schedule change."

IU's football schedule has long been debated. Despite IU's win last fall, the prospect of rebuilding a program under first-year coach Terry Hoeppner appeared more difficult with a Pac-10 team on the schedule.

Hoeppner said IU was talking with Oregon about the change before he was hired.

"To tell you the truth I haven't had any chance to even think about (the schedule)," Hoeppner said. "I've been chasing recruits and doing my thing."

IU will open the 2005 football season Sept. 3 at Central Michigan. Oregon was the Sept. 10 opponent, but IU now has that date to fill. IU will conclude its nonconference schedule Sept. 17 at home against Kentucky.

Greenspan, who was hired in September, brought on Tim Fitzpatrick as an associate athletic director responsible for football and basketball scheduling.

"Schedule philosophy is dictated by several factors," Greenspan said. "Financially to sell tickets, but most important is to have success and grow on that success."
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope Central Michigan squeeks out a win, that would make my day. Watching Terry lose to a MAC west bottom feeder.

HerdFans.com

Run Terry Run
    « on: January 29, 2005, 03:29:34 AM »

Offline jn4theHERD

• All American
    • Member Since 09/2012
    They
    « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 05:35:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They probably caught OR bugging his toilet.  :roll:

GoHerd
    jn

Offline Mako

Run Terry Run
    « Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 08:01:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I do not understand that move.  Oregon is decent but they're not great as evidence by the fact that IU beat them in Oregon last year.  This is nothing more than chickening out at its absolute worst.
    "Our founding fathers ... drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations.  Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expediency's sake." - Barack Obama Inaugural Address

Offline carolinaherdfan

Run Terry Run
    « Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 11:12:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Unless Buffalo is open that day, or they choose to play 1-AA they would be just as well off playing an average Oregon team at home (even).  They did beat them last year.

GO THUNDERINGHERD!             :cool:

HerdFans.com

Run Terry Run
    « Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 11:12:04 AM »