Author Topic: Latest on new turf  (Read 5005 times)

Offline Chris from WV

• Practice Squad
Latest on new turf
« on: January 28, 2005, 02:34:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What's the latest on getting new turf for the stadium?  Is it still scheduled to occur after spring practice this year?

HerdFans.com

Latest on new turf
    « on: January 28, 2005, 02:34:57 PM »

Offline ZackUSAF82

• Franchise Owner
    • Member Since 02/2009
    Latest on new turf
    « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 02:44:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I haven't heard anything, but what you said would make sense to me. You have to wait for the weather to stabilize and the rain and nastiness to subside before doing a project like that. If we have a dry spring, then maybe they will start the install sooner. I think it all depends on what the weather is like as to when the install begins.
    GO HERD!!!

Offline Max

Latest on new turf
    « Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 02:58:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What would the old Marco do with this field?  If he was willing to eat the carpet at Fairfield he would have an extravaganza with this stuff.

Online W0lfman

Latest on new turf
    « Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 03:36:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I dont know when or what they'll be putting down for us, but I really liked the turf they have at the Superdome in New Orleans.  That stuff looked great for the SEC Championship game.

A quick google search says the stuff is called Momentum Turf.  The Ravens have that type of field too.

Here is a pick of California's field.

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    Old Turf
    « Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 03:53:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • if we don't do a fundraiser, we are idiots.  We could put a big dent in paying for the new turf by agresssively marketing and packaging our old turf.  We can market to Marshall fans, Leftwich fans, Pennington fans, Moss fans, etc.  Anyhow there's lot of opportunity there. My quick math says that at $10 per square foot, we could raise $150,000+...I'll spring for some of that...BTW, there is no imperical evidence that from a marketing perspective, we are not morons.  

My understanding is that the fantasy camp (which is fun and worth it...) is holding off setting their date pending the installation timetable for the new turf...I would suspect immediately following the spring game.

Offline HerdHead

Latest on new turf
    « Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 04:38:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd gladly buy a hunk of turf.  I'm just wondering if there are plans to sell the entire field.   For example, the field at Laidley in Charleston was purchased from Northwestern U.  NU used it for just two seasons prior to getting a better surface, and Laidley was happy to make the purchase.  Marshall's field was in good shape for its age... no rips or patches.

Offline HERDUSA

• Rookie
    Latest on new turf
    « Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005, 07:12:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Fundraiser...now that is the sign of a totally major level program. The thing that kinda strikes me as odd is how Dante Culpepper has been recognized for handing over a bunch of money to the UCF program and we have at least 10 guys in the NFL ...exactly what donations do we know of  come from the NFL DEEP POCKETS that we provided a stage for prior to signing the contracts that oh Leftwich, Pennington and Moss for three have signed. It would be interesting to find out and publicize exactly how much NFL money we have put in the ol bank account since well just since 1998 for starters.

A fan fundraiser...yes that is really on the level of the programs that many on Marshall sports boards elude that we are on a par with .....

Offline HerdHead

Latest on new turf
    « Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005, 08:32:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think anyone on this board with an ounce of common sense would admit we are NOT on par with the fundraising efforts of any of the typical D-1 power.  And I'm not just talking about money, either from the legislature (from which our sister school in the north benefits much more) or from any other sources.

Take a look at our weight room, our facilities, and our indoor practice facility (or lack thereof).  The fact that we compete and are better than some, if not many, of the previously-alluded-to powers on a yearly basis is a testament to our players and our coaches, who have created a perennial Top 25 program while dealing with and working within a shoe-string budget.  

Therefore, because our funding levels are not anywhere near our sister school to the north and the aforementioned powers, we have to find unique ways to raise funds, including selling pieces of turf.  You know, the turf on which we have won championships... including the '92 and '96 1-AA NATIONAL championships, the '97, '98, '99, '00, and '02 MAC Championships.  Remember those?  You probably don't, since you more than likely root for our sister school who has never played a championship game at home and is more accustomed to playing tune-up games there prior to getting its annual butt-kicking in its bowl game.      

I'm happy for Daunte Culpepper and the UCF program.  Perhaps if he gave more, they wouldn't have to build their new stadium out of Lego's.   I don't think we should be basing our funding on the contribution levels of our professional athletes.  And, by the way, who is saying our pros are NOT contributing?  Perhaps, unlike Daunte, they prefer to do it quietly.            

And selling pieces of turf in a fundraising effort is not above our sister school to the north.  I personally know more than one person who has a framed piece of turf from Mountaineer Field on their desks.  So the idea is not new, and it's not solely "ours".  (Unlike you, when I use the word "we" and "our", I am referring to Marshall University).  

So, be gone with you.  Or should I say, "On to your next topic of feigned 'concern' about the future of 'our' sports programs."

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    Latest on new turf
    « Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005, 09:31:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hey Wolf it we are gonna get Momentum Turf  it's sharp, it's the same thing S. Miss has too. Take a look at this.......

M. M. Roberts Stadium "The Rock"

Online W0lfman

Latest on new turf
    « Reply #9 on: January 28, 2005, 09:46:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Hey Wolf it we are gonna get Momentum Turf it's sharp
    I think that would be a great choice.  It seems as thought Momentum Turf is the newest synthetic grass on the market, and I dont think we could go wrong installing that stuff.

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    Latest on new turf
    « Reply #10 on: January 28, 2005, 10:05:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Id like to be able to put a big block "M" in the middle to, With the Momentum Turf it looks like it holds paint or chalk good.

Offline bbcard1

• Assistant Coach
    Our NFL guys
    « Reply #11 on: January 28, 2005, 10:08:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Do give back to the program in a big way, but are not showy about it, at least I suspect.

I know the Bartrum/Browm can raises major $ for the program.

I also am quite sure Chad is involved with the BG and is on the board of the Campaign for National Prominence.  One of the greater personal shows of restraint I have ever exercised is when I inadvertantly received a packet that was meant for Chad and had his home address on it.  I returned the package, but was briefly tempted to drive it to new york and sit in front of his house chanting "I'm not worthy."  Or at least copy it and try to get some extra autographs.

Guys like Carl Lee and Gatski still make it back for an occassional program.  Old time pros like Jackie Hunt and Tom Good were big supporters for many years. Our pros have done fine by us on balance.

HerdFans.com

Our NFL guys
    « Reply #11 on: January 28, 2005, 10:08:36 PM »

Offline Thunders

Latest on new turf
    « Reply #12 on: January 29, 2005, 12:26:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not so sure that is the turf we are getting.  They have said in the paper and on the radio many times it is the Field Turf we are getting.  I really don't want it that bright of a green.  Need to make it look more like real grass.  That is too bright and too perfect.  The stuff that Michigan has is the best.  Check it out because it looks real even on TV. The logos and lines don't stand out like they were made into the turf.  It looks like lines painted on grass but is fake.
    Yoda says:    Blow the Mountaineers do!!

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    Latest on new turf
    « Reply #13 on: January 29, 2005, 12:40:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "Thunders"
    Not so sure that is the turf we are getting.  They have said in the paper and on the radio many times it is the Field Turf we are getting.

Everything is "Field Turf" even if they go with the company that produces Momentum Turf will be "Field Turf" Its basiclly a generic term described to refer to the Turf. Most ppl don't even know there are more than one comany that makes it so its all "Field Turf".

I really don't want it that bright of a green. Need to make it look more like real grass.

If it Field Turf or Momentum Turf I really don't care. Its just Ive heard that  Momentum Turf is a lot more stable in the footing. I just want whats best for the University.

Offline Thunders

Latest on new turf
    « Reply #14 on: January 29, 2005, 01:12:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herdzone,

There is a brand called Field Turf.  It is not all called Field Turf.  That is a brand.  Look it up.
    Yoda says:    Blow the Mountaineers do!!

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    Latest on new turf
    « Reply #15 on: January 29, 2005, 01:23:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Herdzone,

There is a brand called Field Turf.  It is not all called Field Turf.  That is a brand.  Look it up.

Yes I know  :roll: It can be found at Field Turf and here is the site for Momentum Turf.

It's still become a genric term. The Baltimore Ravens have Momemtum Turf down. If you ask anyone what it is they will tell you its Field Turf, even announcers call everything Field Turf.

Offline Herd48

• Practice Squad
    Latest on new turf
    « Reply #16 on: January 29, 2005, 02:49:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thunders is right about the Field Turf. BTW, one of the big players in artificial turf bankrupted in 2004. I don't remember which it was.

Offline HerdInChicago

Latest on new turf
    « Reply #17 on: January 29, 2005, 02:55:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Southwest Industries (the company that invented AstroTurf) filed bankruptcy.

Mike...Go Herd!!!

Offline theherdfan

• Rookie
    Latest on new turf
    « Reply #18 on: January 29, 2005, 06:03:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • FROM the MOMENTUM Website:

Sportexe’s elite 51-ounce field – known as Momentum® – is ideal for the specific demands of football. This system provides the density, firmness and speed football players demand from a field.

In fact, after extensive research and testing of all major turf systems on the market, the Louisiana Superdome, Baltimore Ravens, The University of Southern Mississippi, The University of Alabama and Cal-Berkeley all chose Momentum™.

What Sets Sportexe Momentum™ Apart:

A higher face weight (more "grass" underfoot) for added durability, playability and a longer life span.

A uniform fiber matrix for more stability (better traction in all directions).

Heightened durability, increased shock absorption and enhanced tuft bind and seam strength -- you get them all with our Quadback™ technology (that's FOUR layers of primary backing as opposed to the standard one or two).

Two infill options – one that’s 70% ambient ground rubber, 30% kiln-dried sand, the other 100% cryogenic rubber.

The former provides the density, firmness and speed elite athletics demand. For the sand/rubber infill mix, Sportexe uses small ambient ground particles that bond more uniformly with sand. This prevents premature compaction and ensures better shock absorption over time.

Sportexe uses cryogenically processed particles in its all-rubber infill.

Their irregular shape helps trap air, making compaction virtually impossible – and ensuring a safer surface over time.

Seams sewn edge-to-edge, firmly and securely, to avoid any chance of bulges or irregularities that can result from other methods
    Join the BIG GREEN! LETS GO HERD!

Offline carolinaherdfan

Turf At The Joan!
    « Reply #19 on: January 29, 2005, 10:21:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was told at the Troy game that we are getting the exact same thing that the school up North put down for this season.

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

:cool:

Offline dshoe

actually.......
    « Reply #20 on: January 30, 2005, 12:53:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Herdzone,

its kind of like Coke..........the new types of turf all resemble "Field Turf" the brand that started it all.................many of us call all cola's -- Coke.........many stadiums that have astro-play or Nex-turf or any of the others, genericly refer to it as Field Turf...........

its the "design and style (makeup) of the product more than the brand.

Each "brand" improve every year as more and more research is done and results are studied from earlier installs

Offline HerdHead

Latest on new turf
    « Reply #21 on: January 31, 2005, 10:32:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've reported in the past in this forum that Coach Pruett told the Chas QB Club the new turf would be Momentum 51.

HerdFans.com

Latest on new turf
    « Reply #21 on: January 31, 2005, 10:32:03 AM »

Offline Chris884mu

• Junior Varsity
    Turf
    « Reply #22 on: January 31, 2005, 12:20:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have been on Field Turf several times and it is great stuff...except for the pellet in eyes and on socks/inside shoes.

I understand Momentum is very similar...not sure of it's advantages over Field turf.

The company that makes Astroplay (what WVU has) filed for bankruptcy a year or 2 ago.

I think fans/players will be happy with either one of the 2.  I think Nexturf is a significant step down from what I've seen/heard.

Offline GoGreen

• Practice Squad
    momentum turf
    « Reply #23 on: January 31, 2005, 07:15:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really hope they go with the Momentum turf as pictured in the So. Miss pic.  It looks great.

I wonder what the plans are for logos.  Of course, the Conf. USA logos will be on the 35's.  I hope they go with the block M on the 50 like on the helmets.  The kelly green M would look great set against a darker turf.

Anybody got suggestions for the endzones?
    Herd in '05

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    Latest on new turf
    « Reply #24 on: January 31, 2005, 08:46:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If we go with a block M at midfield, it has to be the new official university logo, and not the one on the football helmets. I would prefer to see nothing but Marco's head, much like the Gators have their alligator head at midfield. Looks great..............

HerdFans.com

Latest on new turf
    « Reply #24 on: January 31, 2005, 08:46:48 PM »