Author Topic: More on OSU and the NCAA  (Read 614 times)

Offline HERDUSA

• Rookie
More on OSU and the NCAA
« on: January 22, 2005, 01:37:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • NCAA investigators to interview Ohio State booster
    COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — NCAA investigators were in Columbus on Friday to interview a booster about giving an unspecified amount of money to Ohio State quarterback Troy Smith, athletic director Andy Geiger said.

Smith was suspended after the NCAA rules violation became known. He sat out the Alamo Bowl and may have to miss next season's opener Sept. 3 against Miami of Ohio.

The NCAA also is investigating allegations by former running back Maurice Clarett that coaches arranged for players to receive cash from boosters and players being paid for no-show jobs.

Geiger, who is retiring on June 30, said he had no idea of the investigation's timetable.

Geiger has said Robert Q. Baker, of Springfield, is being stripped of all ties to the university, including losing his share of a suite on the 35-yard-line in Ohio Stadium and barring him from purchasing tickets or having any contact with the football program.

Baker attorney James Savage told Columbus television station WBNS that Geiger did not discuss possible sanctions against Baker during the meeting. He said Baker told Geiger that he wants to answer any questions that Ohio State has so the university can resolve the matter.

Geiger told WBNS that the meeting was "a very cordial, good exchange."

A message seeking comment from Baker was left at his home Friday. The NCAA can't comment because the investigation is ongoing, spokesman Kent Barrett said.

Smith has said he would cooperate in the investigation.

umm...how many more jabs can Tressel take before his head is on the chopping block..

HerdFans.com

More on OSU and the NCAA
    « on: January 22, 2005, 01:37:11 PM »

Offline marcbuff

my thoughts
    « Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 03:56:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If the NCAA doesn't get ohio ST BIG TIME, I think every school like MU " mid-major" who the NCAA preys on , should withdraw from it and tell them where to stick it. Teflon Tennessee can get away with hundreds of violations by turning in Alabama, FSU has NEVER been investigated to my knowledge :sad: which is unbeleivable, but let a mid-major commit lesser violations and they get hammered. Ohio ST is telling recruits and their posters are all over the net bragging they won't get anything because they are THE OHIO ST UNIVERSITY.
    NCAA-No Class At ALL

HerdFans.com

my thoughts
    « Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 03:56:36 PM »