Author Topic: typical smock.......what a dork  (Read 1994 times)

Offline Marco

• Practice Squad
typical smock.......what a dork
« on: January 19, 2005, 07:54:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Folks, there was a reason Donte’ Newsome returned to linebacker for the now-infamous Fort Worth Bowl.

what great insight from our glass is half empty beat writer.  while he is partly right, it is a area of need.  he leaves out the fact that one projected starter for next year was suspended for that game in Dennis Thornton.  i wish his butt kissing for vingle would eventually pay off and they promote him to something other than our beat writer.

HerdFans.com

« on: January 19, 2005, 07:54:09 AM »

Offline DJdaHERDfan

hell with smock
    « Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 07:58:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • he is just an a$$ full of hot air.
    IT'S TAILGATING SEASON!

Offline carolinaherdfan

MU vs WVU Football
    « Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 05:50:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There is a poll on today's front page of the Gazette.  It asks if we, as citizens, believe The new Gov. should mandate a football game between MU & WVU.  Be sure to vote.

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

Offline biggreenthunder

• All American
    « Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 03:09:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Personally, I think Smock is the best writer covering the Herd.  Unlike Landon, who would turn a 80 point loss in football to Buffalo into a positive as a sign Marshall is into giving charity, Smock at least will not only show the good and promote it, he will call out the Admin and athletic department when it's going sour.  Personally, it makes it much more believable to me when he says something good.  WVU people don't like him and apparently neither do the die-hard herd fans.  Seems like he must be doing something right.  If a journalist manages to tick off both sides of an issue, he's probably done an excellent job.  I know I'll get lambasted for this so have at it.
    Gatorade sucks.  Water is better.

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 03:20:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "biggreenthunder"
    Personally, I think Smock is the best writer covering the Herd.  Unlike Landon, who would turn a 80 point loss in football to Buffalo into a positive .

I hope you mean basketball, because I hope we never lose to Buffalo in Football, let alone by 80 points.

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 07:33:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Landon, who would turn a 80 point loss in football to Buffalo into a positive
    Yeah, but with so many on the negative bandwagon against the Herd in Charleston, Landon is definately someone we need using a pen.  I say give me Hanshew or Landon any day of the week.

Offline biggreenthunder

• All American
    « Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 11:33:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "HerdZone"
    Quote from: "biggreenthunder"
    Personally, I think Smock is the best writer covering the Herd.  Unlike Landon, who would turn a 80 point loss in football to Buffalo into a positive .

I hope you mean basketball, because I hope we never lose to Buffalo in Football, let alone by 80 points.

Yes, I did mean football.  We've lost to Buffalo in Basketball and isn't that big a deal.  An 80 point loss to Buffalo in football would be a ginormous deal and that why I say Landon would still try to put a positive spin on it.  He's a homer.  And I guess that's o.k.  

Yeah, but with so many on the negative bandwagon against the Herd in Charleston, Landon is definately someone we need using a pen. I say give me Hanshew or Landon any day of the week.

I can appreciate that but with all the other people in the papers and on the radio basically blowing sunshine up the Herd fans behind, I like Smock out their giving me a different side of the story.  I think maybe we need both; someone to give us an honest picture and someone to help rally the troops.  Everybody has their preference and with Smock, he gives others another choice.

Offline Marco

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 11:44:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • beat writers typically, similar to the schools radio announcers are prone to be positive regarding schools.  it is this way all over the country.  

a beat writer ripping on the program in the states largest newspaper is not a good thing.  certainly, they should report facts even negative ones.  but this clown has negative opinions and even reports negative hear say in the only statewide newspaper.  not good for the school, especially in a state skewed to the big lie up north.

get the truth from a good message board.  smock sucks.

Offline Pud

Smock is terrible, lazy and breaks nothing
    « Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 12:13:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He is a lazy writer relying on rumor and internet sources for his columns. He has no inside connections, (trust me on this one I know) and is viewed by most of the MU atheletic dept. as someone you cannot trust, or want to give a scoop to. Landon, on the other hand and the same with the Herd Insider people, (Woody Greg Perry) if it comes from them, then it has come from Pruett and or Marcum or others from within the Ath Dept. as those guys are real tight with most everyone. Hanshew is going to be OK someday, but at least he works hard, even though most of it is getting sources from the internet recruiting sites and calling the HS coaches or taking bits of premium stories and making it his own. I subscribe to most of the sites and it is amazing how many times the exact quote from the recruits HS coach appears in Hanshews column, and he doesn't reference the site which I think is wrong. But at least he hustles.
    "Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right"

Offline biggreenthunder

• All American
    « Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005, 12:18:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    He is a lazy writer relying on rumor and internet sources for his columns.

Are you sure you're not talking about Landon?   :lol:

Offline Pud

Landon
    « Reply #10 on: January 21, 2005, 12:33:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No I see Chuck at practices all the time, Smock some of the time. Hell, Smock actually has written game stories without using any quotes post game. What did he do leave? Plus ever see him at an away basketball game besides OU or Miami? No.
    "Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right"

Offline mrherd05

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #11 on: January 21, 2005, 01:00:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I only have one thing to add....

SMUCK FOCK

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2005, 01:00:51 PM »