Author Topic: for the rumor mongers  (Read 3985 times)

Offline ThunderZone

for the rumor mongers
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2006, 03:26:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'll just give you the easiest example ...

If a "rumor" like this was started about you and took on a life of itself like this garbage did ... Would you or would you not want to know who started it ... Then you begin to wonder if it's the person sitting in the locker right beside yours.

I don't know you or if you've ever played team sports, but in case you haven't, I'll let you in on a little secret ... And this isn't a rumor, it's a fact ... Trust is all you've got ... For a "team" to do anything it has to "trust" one another ... You can't build any kind of foundation without out first starting with trust.

Coach Snyder is building that foundation and garbage like this makes his and the staffs job harder ... Garbage like this kills the trust that he's trying to establish and that erodes the foundation.

That is part of the reason why he is so furious that this garbage is out there.

HerdFans.com

for the rumor mongers
    « Reply #25 on: November 20, 2006, 03:26:51 PM »

Offline HerdMan05

• Rookie
    for the rumor mongers
    « Reply #26 on: November 20, 2006, 03:39:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • bigworm, do you know Blade?  I expect the anser is NO.  Much like you do  not know Ahmad or anything about him other than what you see on Saturdays.  

I would suggest you shut the he11 up before you piss off the wrong people.  I will be the first in line to defend Blade.  This is a humble guy that has done nothing but praise everyone around him for Smoking Thunder's success.

Offline HerdMan05

• Rookie
    for the rumor mongers
    « Reply #27 on: November 20, 2006, 03:41:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ThunderZone, you are dead on the money with your posts regarding this topic!!!!

Offline catbird70

• All American
    for the rumor mongers
    « Reply #28 on: November 20, 2006, 04:23:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "ThunderZone"
    I'll just give you the easiest example ...

If a "rumor" like this was started about you and took on a life of itself like this garbage did ... Would you or would you not want to know who started it ... Then you begin to wonder if it's the person sitting in the locker right beside yours.

I don't know you or if you've ever played team sports, but in case you haven't, I'll let you in on a little secret ... And this isn't a rumor, it's a fact ... Trust is all you've got ... For a "team" to do anything it has to "trust" one another ... You can't build any kind of foundation without out first starting with trust.

Coach Snyder is building that foundation and garbage like this makes his and the staffs job harder ... Garbage like this kills the trust that he's trying to establish and that erodes the foundation.

That is part of the reason why he is so furious that this garbage is out there.

I think the rumor stinks...or did anyway.  BUt in all honesty a hypothetical example of how a rumor could cause a significant negative impact is not the same as proof that something actually had a negative impact in reality.

I dont see any available evidence that the rumor had a significant negative impact....nor any proof that it didnt.  How are we to know either way?  I suspect that since multiple sources spread the rumor on the board and they heard from others.....that it was already spread pretty good with or with out the forums help.  However, Im not supporting that the rumor was ok to spread....

But part of me thinks that the forum is a good place to hear the latest info for us out of towners....and I like to hear the latest from the rumor mill sometimes....maybe when something like this comes up the poster should refrain and send the info to herdrumors rather than coming here to blab and take credit for it.....?

If this was Notre Dame, and there was a huge out of town fan base....then I would think that message boards would be a way for rumors to spread and have an impact.....Ive never been to a ND board ...or another big school similar to ND ....but I suspect that they have 10s of 1000s of forum members from across the world...if not more...

Offline SmokinGunnHerd

• Practice Squad
    for the rumor mongers
    « Reply #29 on: November 20, 2006, 05:21:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Looks like someone needs their diaper changed.

Just because your rumor didn't come true, don't come back and piss all over everyone here.

You made a ridiculous post and spread a bad rumor and guess what? YOU WERE WRONG

Learn that.
    Live with that.

Rumors are fun to read.
    But when you flat out name players smoking weed and it doesn't even come out as remotely true, then you, my friend, have made a terrible mistake and owe those players an apology.
    Then you continue to make an a$$ out of yourself by name calling on here.
    Now you owe everyone here an apology.

Sir, you need to grow up and take it like a man. Quit crying and pointing fingers.
    Like I tell my grandkids who are toddlers,"It's not anybody else's fault but yours".
    "If you did it, you did it"

Son, take responsibility for your actions and everything will be fine.

I don't dislike you. I am just giving you some good ole fashioned tough love.

GO HERD

bigwormy is alright. he is just trying to fit in.
    Marshall Football will rise up once again

Offline Blade

for the rumor mongers
    « Reply #30 on: November 20, 2006, 05:48:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "catbird70"
    BUt in all honesty a hypothetical example of how a rumor could cause a significant negative impact is not the same as proof that something actually had a negative impact in reality.

You don't have to know every time (in reality) if you hold someone's face on a hot stove that it will burn.  Once should be enough.

Catbird - you tell me in private and in confidence that you smoke pot.  Yet you don't want to come out for fear that your father may find out.  I turn around and post it on every forum that your father may read or if he doesn't partake in the internet, take out an add in the paper.

Does this have a positive or negative effect on you?

Now, let's say that I heard you were gay and I told all the folks you work with that you are.  

Does this have a positive or negative effect?

Chances are, everyone that answers the two questions above will say "negative".

Right or wrong, will you trust me again?  That's what the folks that started this rumor and the folks that perpetuated it should fear.

Offline catbird70

• All American
    for the rumor mongers
    « Reply #31 on: November 20, 2006, 06:22:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "Blade"
    Quote from: "catbird70"
    BUt in all honesty a hypothetical example of how a rumor could cause a significant negative impact is not the same as proof that something actually had a negative impact in reality.

You don't have to know every time (in reality) if you hold someone's face on a hot stove that it will burn.  Once should be enough.

Catbird - you tell me in private and in confidence that you smoke pot.  Yet you don't want to come out for fear that your father may find out.  I turn around and post it on every forum that your father may read or if he doesn't partake in the internet, take out an add in the paper.

Does this have a positive or negative effect on you?

Now, let's say that I heard you were gay and I told all the folks you work with that you are.  

Does this have a positive or negative effect?

Chances are, everyone that answers the two questions above will say "negative".

Right or wrong, will you trust me again?  That's what the folks that started this rumor and the folks that perpetuated it should fear.

no question about that....I agree......

I just wish there was some way to measure the actual impact a rumor as such has on the program and if the forum is really a significant contributor as opposed to say....14,000 kids walking across camps multiple times a day and socializing with each other, etc.. etc.. etc...

All Im saying is that just because a poster comes on and says "due to another posters rumor comments..... a major rumor was spread and the football program was damaged".....does that make it true that it was simply because of a board post?  Look I dont know either way....regardless I agree that negative crap doesnt help the cause if its found to be untrue.....BUT if sometimes it is true....then thats a really cool thing about the board...to be the place were factual info is heard before it hits the newspaper.....information is part of the value of the board.

The mods get suckered into it just like the rest of us because there is always that question in their head...."what if it is true? If it is then shouldnt we let the post/thread stand?"

Offline Herdfan92

• Junior Varsity
    for the rumor mongers
    « Reply #32 on: November 20, 2006, 06:27:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    If you don't like the people on this board, don't read or post.

If you don't like the rules, don't read or post.

If you don't like they way you're treated by other posters, don't read or post.

Unless Dale gave you a private invitation, why are you here?

Many posters think they have rights on this board.  You don't.  This is not a public forum.  It's private.  It is owned/leased by Wolfman.  You have no more rights about the things you say here then you do in HIS house.

Don't like it?  DON'T VISIT!

AMEN!   :mad:

Offline catbird70

• All American
    for the rumor mongers
    « Reply #33 on: November 20, 2006, 06:37:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "Herdfan92"
    Quote from: "Blade"
    If you don't like the people on this board, don't read or post.

If you don't like the rules, don't read or post.

If you don't like they way you're treated by other posters, don't read or post.

Unless Dale gave you a private invitation, why are you here?

Many posters think they have rights on this board.  You don't.  This is not a public forum.  It's private.  It is owned/leased by Wolfman.  You have no more rights about the things you say here then you do in HIS house.

Don't like it?  DON'T VISIT!

AMEN!   :mad:

AMEN?  I guess that means you are one of the lucky few that got a private invitation......  I would bet that the majority didnt and with out the majority of posters....where would the board be?  Im sure smokin Thunder got a private invitation...congrats on that to him...

Other than that, I agree with everything that was said....particularly.....

"If you want to spread unconfirmed bs, expect to get nailed"

Maybe there should be a rumor rule.....you get two strikes.....if your wrong once you better NEVER be wrong again.  That would change the tune of those claiming that they have "confirmed" information from meaning confimred by a member of the dance squad...to I heard it from a coach.....

Offline DJdaHERDfan

for the rumor mongers
    « Reply #34 on: November 20, 2006, 06:42:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hey catbird, please stop with the BS.
    IT'S TAILGATING SEASON!

Offline Blade

for the rumor mongers
    « Reply #35 on: November 20, 2006, 07:02:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "catbird70"
    Amen?  I guess that means you are one of the lucky few that got a private invitation......  I would bet that the majority didnt and with out the majority of posters....where would the board be?  Im sure smokin Thunder got a private invitation...congrats on that to him...

Other than that, I agree with everything that was said....particularly.....

"If you want to spread unconfirmed bs, expect to get nailed"

Maybe there should be a rumor rule.....you get two strikes.....if your wrong once you better NEVER be wrong again.  That would change the tune of those claiming that they have "confirmed" information from meaning confimred by a member of the dance squad...to I heard it from a coach.....

What kind of idiotic response was that?  Misread?  I know you misinterpreted it.  Or did you?  

I infered to his remark that that everyone here is $%^&.  The only way I could imagine someone posting here, even though they hated it, would be if the owner asked him to.

As for the rest of your tripe, I'm getting used to it.  I know that you try to defend your anti-Marshall speil like you are really the savior of Marshall athletics.  I do know one thing - you ain't your daddy nor will you ever be.

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    for the rumor mongers
    « Reply #36 on: November 20, 2006, 07:04:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bust on the other sites all you want, but they removed any rumors ASAP. HerdFans was the one that let rumors stay...

HerdFans.com

for the rumor mongers
    « Reply #36 on: November 20, 2006, 07:04:16 PM »

Offline catbird70

• All American
    for the rumor mongers
    « Reply #37 on: November 20, 2006, 07:34:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

What kind of idiotic response was that?  Misread?  I know you misinterpreted it.  Or did you?  

I infered to his remark that that everyone here is $%^&.  The only way I could imagine someone posting here, even though they hated it, would be if the owner asked him to.

Sorry, misinterpreted that....I see what you mean now...and I agree....and I think if you f up your rumor...then you should pay consequences....and I havent wavered from that...

As for the rest of your post....I dont need nor do I want to comment on it...they were too far off topic for me...

In the end...were all just Herd fans anyway.

I guess this means Im not invited to any future smokin thunder tailgates.... :lol:

Offline SmokinGunnHerd

• Practice Squad
    for the rumor mongers
    « Reply #38 on: November 20, 2006, 07:35:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • marshallsoccer wrote:

Bust on the other sites all you want, but they removed any rumors ASAP. HerdFans was the one that let rumors stay...

Why even make this statement. Everybody knows where the rumors STARTED. I see you have just 21 posts here.
    That tells alot. Even more than what you are really trying to say with your statement.
    Marshall Football will rise up once again

Offline marshallsoccer

• Heisman
    for the rumor mongers
    « Reply #39 on: November 20, 2006, 07:37:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "SmokinGunnHerd"
    marshallsoccer wrote:

Bust on the other sites all you want, but they removed any rumors ASAP. HerdFans was the one that let rumors stay...

Why even make this statement. Everybody knows where the rumors STARTED. I see you have just 21 posts here.
    That tells alot. Even more than what you are really trying to say with your statement.

So, I can't have an opinion until I reach how many posts? I'm not part of the clique here yet?

Anyways, whoever started it sucks, period. But the people on this site are no better, they ran with it, they kept talking about it and kept bashing players, coaches, etc. It was bad all around, not sure why the crew here at HerdFans has such an elitist attitude about the issues, both parties were in the wrong.

Offline catbird70

• All American
    for the rumor mongers
    « Reply #40 on: November 20, 2006, 07:38:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "DJdaHERDfan"
    Hey catbird, please stop with the BS.

What part was BS?

I do think a rule regulating rumors should be put in place to make it handled more responsibly.

The private invitation part sounded extream at first but, I admit I did misinterpret that.

Offline DJdaHERDfan

for the rumor mongers
    « Reply #41 on: November 20, 2006, 07:41:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We are on to your statements. We have been all along. We let it go on because sometimes ignorance and manipulation can be entertaining.

But I often have to remind you that we do know who you are and what agenda you have.

pm me and I will explain in full detail.
    IT'S TAILGATING SEASON!

Offline HerdMan05

• Rookie
    for the rumor mongers
    « Reply #42 on: November 20, 2006, 07:59:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe it is time to do a little house cleaning and make this an invitation only site.  Let the agenda driven and the extremists go elsewhere to push their overly negative or overly positive banter.  

I am relatively new to this site and enjoy reading many of the posts, but some of this stuff is beginning to take away from the sites true meaning.  IMO, this site is for sharing opinions and talking about the factual happenings with MU, not pushing agendas or spreading unconfirmed rumors.

Offline HERDftblfan

• Rookie
    Please
    « Reply #43 on: November 20, 2006, 08:54:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Give me a break.

You know we have posters weekly that come on HERD Nation and criticize HERDFANS.  Do you know what happens when that occurs... deleted.  We aren't over there criticize or complain about your site or in any way make a comparison yet you folks over here constantly and contiuously bash our site.  We do not reciprocate.  Those that do, again, we delete it.  It amazes me how this holier-than-thou attitude festers over here but for no just reason.

As far as rumor goes, I know personally where it started and it wasn't on either of these sites.  That's what makes it doubly sad.  First because you on this site seemed convinced it began on HERD Nation which is not true and second because the true source really does make the whole matter worse.

What I do know for sure is that all the posts about the mess made on HERD Nation were taken down but were allowed to stand here.  In addition, I personally asked our members not to post the rumors until we had confirmation.  It is not my place to judge.  If you wanted them to stand here, that was your choice, not mine.  But I do find it hypocritical that after you made the decision to discuss the rumors here you then criticize our site, lambast us for lack of an apology and make snide comments about us.  It does indeed seem hypocritical which truly is a shame.  Regadless, our side will continue to take the high road because after all, we are all still HERD fans.

All the best.

Offline catbird70

• All American
    for the rumor mongers
    « Reply #44 on: November 20, 2006, 09:04:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "DJdaHERDfan"
    We are on to your statements. We have been all along. We let it go on because sometimes ignorance and manipulation can be entertaining.

But I often have to remind you that we do know who you are and what agenda you have.

pm me and I will explain in full detail.

DJ,

I got your pm back and it still didnt say anything about my "agenda".  Im definitely interested in knowing what it is.  You said you would explain in full detail.  What happened?  What is it that you are "on to"?

My opinion was right down the middle on this issue.

1)  I think its harsh to shut down all posts of rumors that could be facts like Herdnation does.  (Thankfully, this board isnt as extreame as Herd Nation.)

2) I do agree that its inappropriate to bash players unjustly which is what almost all of the rumor posts amount to.

3)  Im not sure a forum rumor significantly damages the football program.

4) I congratulated you for coming up with an excellent solution to the problem.  That resolves all sides of the issue.  Which is....state the potential breaking news without singling out or identifying individual people.

5) I apologized for a misinterpretation of Blades post.

Offline 2xBison

for the rumor mongers
    « Reply #45 on: November 20, 2006, 09:18:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 05 you are old news around all the boards, don't get your points about new.  not that I have a problem with you, just saying, seen you around a few spots for as long as i can remember

herdftblfan, no one has called out herdnation, heck you may have been the first to mention it by name.  here is a link for you herdnation.com, see ya.

so you guys can rest easy.  good lord, what a paranoid. bunch.

I guess, the guys here and the guys on the nation do agree on one thing, their is way too much defensiveness from a few, that tells me, we both agree where the rumor festered.  it wasn't here.  heck, maybe some of these guys do consider themselves groupies, maybe that term struck a nerve.

it's hilarious, an ambiguos post about rumor mongers and groupies brings the boys out to defend themselves........yet no board or posters called out.

nice job boys.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline catbird70

• All American
    for the rumor mongers
    « Reply #46 on: November 20, 2006, 09:22:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "2xBison"
    05 you are old news around all the boards, don't get your points about new.  not that I have a problem with you, just saying, seen you around a few spots for as long as i can remember

herdftblfan, no one has called out herdnation, heck you may have been the first to mention it by name.  here is a link for you herdnation.com, see ya.

so you guys can rest easy.  good lord, what a paranoid. bunch.

I guess, the guys here and the guys on the nation do agree on one thing, their is way too much defensiveness from a few, that tells me, we both agree where the rumor festered.  it wasn't here.  heck, maybe some of these guys do consider themselves groupies, maybe that term struck a nerve.

it's hilarious, an ambiguos post about rumor mongers and groupies brings the boys out to defend themselves........yet no board or posters called out.

nice job boys.

Good point 2X, the wannabe groupies are getting restless. :lol:

HerdFans.com

for the rumor mongers
    « Reply #46 on: November 20, 2006, 09:22:47 PM »

Offline 2xBison

for the rumor mongers
    « Reply #47 on: November 20, 2006, 09:25:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just reread all the thread, no mention of herdnation or any specific posters as groupies or rumor mongers, yet some get defensive, come defend herd nation, and then point out that this site let the rumor stand?  wow.

TZ had the best post of the thread.  

anyway, boys, no one here is on the nation or its posters.  save your crap for another day.  back to the...........uh back to where you post.

see ya boys.

i am now feeling paranoid like you boys, knowing that we are monitored here.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline ThunderValley

for the rumor mongers
    « Reply #48 on: November 20, 2006, 09:25:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In the words of Rodney King................. :oops:

Offline HERDftblfan

• Rookie
    for the rumor mongers