Author Topic: Caldwell to Tennessee  (Read 7652 times)

Offline MUfan08

Re: Caldwell to Tennessee
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2024, 07:55:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

HerdFans.com

« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2024, 07:55:59 PM »

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2024, 08:16:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is probably a top 5 moment for Marshall Athletics in the last 20 years.

1. Soccer National Championship. 
    2. NCAA Tourney Win.
    3. Notre Dame Win.
    4. CUSA Championship in Football.
    5. FINALLY HAVING A COACH THAT AN ELITE PROGRAM WANTS. 1996 is how long it's been (Donovan and one year earlier Donnan). Nearly 30 years. And she didn't go to just any elite program but probably the best program in women's sports overall and may be the best athletics program EVER in any sport around the world both women and men. Show me a program that has had this consistent success from beginning/inception to now? https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/tennessee/women/

These are the exact homerun hires we are going to have to make in other sports to be relevant again.
    « Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 08:34:42 PM by THECHAMPISHERE »

The following users thanked this post: mu79grad

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2024, 08:30:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Several posters have brought up Associate Head Coach Jenna Burdette's name as a possible replacement.

I?d think she would go as well.  I?d imagine she would be paid more at UT.  We need a HC and good recruits.  Hopefully this is motivation for the rest of our HC to step up.  If your good the SEC will take you regardless of conference affiliation in D1.

From D2 HC to SEC HC in 1 year.  Who will be the Mens D2 HC we hire after Jackson??

Offline herdfan429

« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2024, 09:06:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They don't even have her name correct in the post.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline herd2win

« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2024, 09:28:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Caldwell is not mentioned under any legit Tennessee newspaper or websites.

Online CoachMaclid

« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2024, 09:35:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • While the SEC is a power conference, keep in mind that that money usually doesn't find its way to the non-football sports as easily.

WBB Head Coaching salaries from a year ago...

South Carolina $2,900,000
    LSU $2,520,000

Texas A&M $1,000,000
    Georgia $950,000
    Tennessee $800,000
    Mississippi $800,000
    Florida $700,000
    Missouri $650,000
    Arkansas $600,000
    Auburn $568,720
    Mississippi State $550,000
    Alabama $500,000
    Kentucky $487,000

The average salary for an SEC women's basketball coach (not including LSU or USC which are the national championship winning coaches) is $691,429. 

Kim is making $275,000 at Marshall.  While $275k was a big jump for Marshall, we'd only need to double her salary to put her amongst SEC coach salaries.  It's not like its a whole order of magnitude difference (well, outside of LSU and USC, which by definition are an order of magnitude difference).

The following users thanked this post: MicDrass1

Offline MidlandKnight

« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2024, 09:43:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • While the SEC is a power conference, keep in mind that that money usually doesn't find its way to the non-football sports as easily.

WBB Head Coaching salaries from a year ago...

South Carolina $2,900,000
    LSU $2,520,000

Texas A&M $1,000,000
    Georgia $950,000
    Tennessee $800,000
    Mississippi $800,000
    Florida $700,000
    Missouri $650,000
    Arkansas $600,000
    Auburn $568,720
    Mississippi State $550,000
    Alabama $500,000
    Kentucky $487,000

The average salary for an SEC women's basketball coach (not including LSU or USC which are the national championship winning coaches) is $691,429. 

Kim is making $275,000 at Marshall.  While $275k was a big jump for Marshall, we'd only need to double her salary to put her amongst SEC coach salaries.  It's not like its a whole order of magnitude difference (well, outside of LSU and USC, which by definition are an order of magnitude difference).

Not sure where you are getting your numbers, but UT's former coach made 1.1M and UK's made 800K.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/womens-basketball/2022/03/31/kellie-harper-receives-contract-extension-lady-vols-basketball/7229847001/
    https://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-women/article286532785.html

Also, I am hearing there is an offer on the table. She has not signed it yet, but is expected to.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 09:44:42 PM by MidlandKnight »

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, Collis P, miltonherdfan

Online CoachMaclid

« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2024, 10:22:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not sure where you are getting your numbers, but UT's former coach made 1.1M and UK's made 800K.

https://medium.com/@nkbonner/pay-disparities-between-sec-coaches-841489a9e29

I stated my numbers where from a year ago, and seem to be in line with what KnoxNews reported.
    « Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 10:40:56 PM by CoachMaclid »

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2024, 10:27:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If she get the UT job, congrats to her. That is better than keeping a bad coach like we have to force out.

If she leaves, we just have to make another great hire for the position.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2024, 10:51:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Several posters have brought up Associate Head Coach Jenna Burdette's name as a possible replacement.

btw, THIS is a situation where it's appropriate to promote an asst.  the MBB dumpster fire, not so much.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, chris88

Offline MidlandKnight

« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2024, 11:08:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://medium.com/@nkbonner/pay-disparities-between-sec-coaches-841489a9e29

I stated my numbers where from a year ago, and seem to be in line with what KnoxNews reported.

Not trying to discredit you, just pointing out the numbers have drastically changed. The SEC has placed a heavy emphasis on women's basketball as they see its growth, plus they have money to burn. Here is a more recent article breaking down women's coaching salaries. You will note UT's coach was making 1.1 M not 800K. One other thing Kenny Brooks salary is reported to be 1.5M at UK.

https://frontofficesports.com/who-is-the-highest-paid-womens-college-basketball-coach/

Online CoachMaclid

« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2024, 11:22:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Not trying to discredit you, just pointing out the numbers have drastically changed. The SEC has placed a heavy emphasis on women's basketball as they see its growth, plus they have money to burn. Here is a more recent article breaking down women's coaching salaries. You will note UT's coach was making 1.1 M not 800K. One other thing Kenny Brooks salary is reported to be 1.5M at UK.

https://frontofficesports.com/who-is-the-highest-paid-womens-college-basketball-coach/

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, but my point remains that we are basically one more doubling of our current WBB's head coaching salary from being in the mix of alot of the power schools.  Still not quite in the Top 25, but I think we'd be able to hang our hat that our WBB commitment rivals power schools.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/womens-basketball/coach

When you have something working, you fight for it as much as you feasibly possibly can.  I think we should push the current wave to where the WBB coach has a similar financial commitment as the MBB coach.  If you've seen these TV ratings for the women's tournament this year, it clearly is an area for growth for college athletics.  And I think that's true of us at Marshall, too.  We've become a national power in Men's Soccer.  Perhaps a little harder in Women's Basketball, but there's room for us in the mix, too.
    « Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 11:24:29 PM by CoachMaclid »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2024, 11:22:32 PM »

Offline MidlandKnight

« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2024, 11:44:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree 100% with you. Just because she is moving on doesn't mean we should give up. Women's BB and Soccer are the sports that appear to have the most room for growth in the future. As to my point, it was just merely trying to provide the most up to date info. Sorry that bothers you. 

Online CoachMaclid

« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2024, 12:04:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just because she is moving on doesn't mean we should give up.

There are literally zero credible reports from legit sources that she has an offer at this time.

The fact that this has been floating out there for 24 hours and no one in their media has run with it shows you there's not really even smoke to go with the satirical fire X (Twitter) accounts.
    « Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 12:07:01 AM by CoachMaclid »

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, HerdEcon

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2024, 01:22:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope we can keep her. I think we should drastically up her pay to at least $600k/year. I think women?s basketball can become a revenue sport for us the same way soccer has.

If she leaves then I?m sure her husband is going with her meaning we will need to find another assistant coach for the men?s team as well.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Online CoachMaclid

« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2024, 01:28:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If she leaves then I?m sure her husband is going with her meaning we will need to find another assistant coach for the men?s team as well.

Some things take care of themselves...

https://twitter.com/elmore33/status/1776225566703943715

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, chris88, miltonherdfan

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2024, 08:16:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There are literally zero credible reports from legit sources that she has an offer at this time.

The fact that this has been floating out there for 24 hours and no one in their media has run with it shows you there's not really even smoke to go with the satirical fire X (Twitter) accounts.

I'll believe it when I see it in The Athletic. No mention there.

Offline herdfifteen

« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2024, 08:37:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There are literally zero credible reports from legit sources that she has an offer at this time.

I have  no idea if there is truth to the rumors , however I will say to Caldwell be careful what you wish for. I am an Auriemma fan and watch UCONN, I am telling you Tenn played them in the tournament and would have beaten  them on a neutral floor. So Tenn had a good women's team, as stated previously the expectations there are out of sight.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline svherd

« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2024, 09:13:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We won because of her style of play. Any other coach that plays a more traditional, we don't win the league. We had our glory. Doubt we get there again.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline chris88

« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2024, 09:32:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have  no idea if there is truth to the rumors , however I will say to Caldwell be careful what you wish for. I am an Auriemma fan and watch UCONN, I am telling you Tenn played them in the tournament and would have beaten  them on a neutral floor. So Tenn had a good women's team, as stated previously the expectations there are out of sight.

Yep. Tenn is an outstanding job from a resource and tradition standpoint but there are just too many great coaches/programs to expect annual appearences in the elite 8 and beyond. Yes there is Dawn Staley at USC and Geno at Uconn.  Ok, but that's not much different than Nick Saban. Other schools for years have tried to replicate Saban's success. Both Kirby Smart and Dabo Sweeney at Clemson have won multiple natl titles and still considered a notch or two below Sabban.  Even Staley had a losing record at SC her first 2-3 years. To suggest KC is next Geno or Staley is a big ask.

I disagree her style is the primary reason KC wins. She knows her style upside down but she is able to get buy in from the players and knows how to maximize their talent both collectively and individually. Nolan Richardson won a men's Natl title playing roughly the same style. They didn't call it "40 minutes of hell for nothing". But great coaches also continually tweak and adjust their systems and how they recruit. Now I do agree that some top players will not want to play in that system because it spread the wealth of minutes/scoring etc. If KC goes I wonder if the Tenn coach would consider coming here? Not likely but would make for an interesting discussion. BTW, when Hunter was fired her two biggest commits decommitted from Tenn. I'm glad we have Spears who has shown to this point he has the answers when it comes to hires.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline MUonium

« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2024, 10:04:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • can you imagine having 12-16 deep talent to run the same exact substitution/press system in the SEC/national level?  it's been said that it's more or less a a mid-major, DII and below thing but who's to say it can't be done? 
    if you can convince enough top recruits this is how it will be, this is what we can achieve and we need you to be a part of a truly large machine, probably for the first time in your playing career...

anyway. PLEASE DON"T GO yet 😔

Offline elginherd

« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2024, 11:03:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Chris makes a good point regarding Dawn Staley
    When she was hired away from Temple, she was allowed a significant period of time to build her program.
    Does anybody really believe that Coach Kim is/was number one on UT's shopping list?
    The unrealistic expectations at UT makes it difficult to hire one of their A-list choices. A Dawn Staley would've been fired after her third season.

For Coach Kim, I don't see where it's a major risk for her. When she gets canned by UT, she'll still be a very attractive candidate for good HCing gigs.

But the jump from the top of the SB to being a constant threat to win the D1 championship (or even the SEC regular season or tournament championships) is much larger than the jump from a D2 contender to the top of the SBC.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2024, 11:03:23 AM »

Offline Collis P

« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2024, 12:51:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • can you imagine having 12-16 deep talent to run the same exact substitution/press system in the SEC/national level?  it's been said that it's more or less a a mid-major, DII and below thing but who's to say it can't be done? 
    if you can convince enough top recruits this is how it will be, this is what we can achieve and we need you to be a part of a truly large machine, probably for the first time in your playing career...

anyway. PLEASE DON"T GO yet 😔

I think the top level D1 players don't want to play her style.  AKA - Scott -  If she could get  13 - 4 and 5 star players watch out!!!
    S M I L E -

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2024, 01:09:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Being a HC in a Top 10 D1 league is very difficult even recruiting wise.  SEC coaches need big $ help!
    SEC athletes just look different.  Very impressive physically.   

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2024, 01:12:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have  no idea if there is truth to the rumors , however I will say to Caldwell be careful what you wish for. I am an Auriemma fan and watch UCONN, I am telling you Tenn played them in the tournament and would have beaten  them on a neutral floor. So Tenn had a good women's team, as stated previously the expectations there are out of sight.

Tenn also should have beat #1 37-0 South Carolina in the SEC tournament semi finals but gave the game away by missing two free throws with seconds left and giving up a 3 point bank shot prayer to a player that didn't hit a three all year as time expired to lose by one.

So yeah they were good even this year (a down year for them)...and may be, as I said, the most consistently great program in sports from inception to now. You are right...expectations are extremely high.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2024, 01:12:41 PM »