Author Topic: Thanks Dan (appreciation thread)!  (Read 673 times)

Offline MUfan08

Thanks Dan (appreciation thread)!
« on: March 25, 2024, 08:36:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thank you Dan for your time here.

You helped clean up the mess of Herrion and brought pride back to Marshall basketball.

Thank you for the memories of winning the conference USA tournament and winning a game in the NCAA tournament. Will cherish that run with family and friends rooting for the Herd.

Thank you for helping with working to get us better logistics with the charter flights and pushing for a practice facility. Those things will go a long way towards helping the program long term.

While we are all disappointed in how things ended, it was just time.

(There are plenty of bash Dan thread right now, so let's just honor Dan in this one).

HerdFans.com

Thanks Dan (appreciation thread)!
    « on: March 25, 2024, 08:36:32 PM »

Offline muherd34

Re: Thanks Dan (appreciation thread)!
    « Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 08:40:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree 100%. Thank you Dan!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Buffalo Bop

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2024, 08:43:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dan inherited a mess. Thankful he got that cleaned up. Also thankful for 2018.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, kpimichael, Buffalo Bop, horsrman, chris88

Offline overherd1

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2024, 08:56:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dan did many good things here.  He should be thanked for that!  He loves Marshall University. Wish him the best!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, sardistim, kpimichael, Buffalo Bop, horsrman, Herdalum83

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #4 on: March 25, 2024, 09:09:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • All the best DD!

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: kpimichael, Buffalo Bop, chris88

Offline MarshallSteve

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2024, 09:12:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree. Big thanks to Dan. He came in at a difficult time after the Herion fiasco and did a lot of  great things for the University. A conference championship, NCAA tournament appearance among other post season events. He never embarrassed the University and always talked Marshall in a positive light. Rarely ever heard of any negative situation out of the kids he brought in. And during his tenure, he brought in some great players. On top of that, Dan was always approachable. He's a true son of Marshall.

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, kpimichael, Buffalo Bop, overherd1

Offline svherd

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2024, 09:22:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree. Got us our first tourney win. A legacy at Marshall. Enjoy retirement, well earned.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, kpimichael, Buffalo Bop, horsrman, overherd1, Herdalum83

Offline yogiherd

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2024, 10:46:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks coach DD for winning The Herd's first NCAA tourney game and the CUSA tourney title. For getting the program up to date on practice facilities and easier travel for the team to away games plus other helpful programs you helped to establish to build the Herd program.
    You deserve a fun and great retirement. You can enjoy watching March Madness without having to worry about what plays would work against those teams;just enjoy the game of basketball.
    In God We Trust.
    United We Stand.
    God Bless America.
    go herd!!!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, kpimichael, horsrman, MUonium, overherd1

Offline LUVTHATHERD

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2024, 10:46:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Coach D is a true to the core Son of Marshall and we were blessed to have him here. He did a lot of great things and gave us some amazing memories. Luv ya Coach D and wish you all the best!!!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, sardistim, kpimichael, usedcars1, horsrman

Offline thunderingon

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2024, 10:48:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks Coach! Made Marshall basketball fun and relevant again. Great memories!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, kpimichael, horsrman

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2024, 07:00:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks Coach! Made Marshall basketball fun and relevant again. Great memories!

"Relevant?" On what planet?

The following users thanked this post: ed swain

Offline MUther

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2024, 07:51:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "Relevant?" On what planet?

This is the "play nice" thread.  It's why I haven't posted in it.  If you don't have anything nice to say...

Might have contributed to it 3-4 years ago, but making us force him out was the last straw for me, especially after the "if I cant get it done, I'll step down" speech when he was brought on.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2024, 07:51:03 AM »

Offline luvherd

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2024, 08:10:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A true bleed green alum. Thanks Danny !
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

Offline elginherd

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2024, 08:32:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "Relevant?" On what planet?

He made it relevant again in the Huntington area.
    And that was very important after Heart Attack Herrion.

For 6 or 7 seasons, the Herd was a fun watch...even that first season where DD's record really shouldn't be included in any accessment.

Let's not forget, DD put a burr in the saddle regarding basketball facilities. The improvement in this regard also benefits volleyball and an (hopefully) ascendent women's basketball program.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, horsrman

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2024, 08:43:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm glad someone started a thread like this one.  I am one of the people on here that has voiced that it was time for DD to retire, but I do appreciate everything he did for Marshall basketball.  He brought excitement back to the program and I was solidly in his corner for most of his tenure.  I wish him nothing but the best in retirement. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Always THE HERD, MUonium, overherd1

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2024, 08:55:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Is there a thread for people who think Dan should thank us? 

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2, herdorbust2

Offline Surbadger

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2024, 08:55:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dan created some of the most exciting basketball to watch in my lifetime. Not at Marshall, not at the NCAA level, but basketball in general. When it worked, it was beautiful. I also thank him for the love he gave our school. He honestly seemed to work hard even in his 70s. Dan made history at Marshall in getting to the second round of the NCAA Tournament. That's something no other coach has ever done and we should never forget that. He also gave us a CIT National Championship. That will go down as one of the best days I've ever had being part of the Herd Faithful. He was, he is, and he always will be a Marshall legend. Thank you Dan!

Offline MarshallSteve

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2024, 10:00:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dan created some of the most exciting basketball to watch in my lifetime. Not at Marshall, not at the NCAA level, but basketball in general. When it worked, it was beautiful. I also thank him for the love he gave our school. He honestly seemed to work hard even in his 70s. Dan made history at Marshall in getting to the second round of the NCAA Tournament. That's something no other coach has ever done and we should never forget that. He also gave us a CIT National Championship. That will go down as one of the best days I've ever had being part of the Herd Faithful. He was, he is, and he always will be a Marshall legend. Thank you Dan!
    Well said

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

Offline sardistim

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2024, 11:57:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Coach DD brought excitement back to Marshall basketball.  For that I will always be grateful.  He brought a style that was fun to watch and put butts back in the stands.  He recruited fine young men who brought a good look to Marshall athletics.  I also appreciated his loyalty to the players he recruited.  He is a throwback to an age where your word is your bond.  I'm convinced our society needs more of that, not less.  In the long run, in the lives of those athletes, that will make all the difference.  His love for the university and the community is beyond measure.

On top of all that he gave us our first victory in the NCAA tourney, something our greatest team ever--where his brother was the PG--was unable to give us.  That will forever be a gift he gave Marshall University.  The first five to six years were the best days of MU basketball since Huck's Herd.  Thank you Coach D'Antoni for that.  And gives me hope that we can get back to that.

Offline herdman22

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2024, 12:01:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • While I feel it was time for a change I appreciate all that Dan has done for Marshall.  He brought some exciting times including our first ever March Madness win. During that and the CIT run he had Herd Basketball back to a place it hadn't been for a long time.

He also gave us some great Herd players. Elmore, Burks, Penava, Kinsey, Kelly, West, etc. I know I can't name them all.

He probably should have left after the 24 win season lsst year but when Marshall and basketball is in your blood like it is for him I know it's hard to step away.

So thanks Coach for everything. Your playing days, coaching days, but most importantly your love of Marshall and willingness to do whatever it took to represent the Herd well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Rockin Herd Fan

HerdFans.com

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2024, 12:01:39 PM »