Author Topic: How does Spears  (Read 1184 times)

Offline HerdEcon

How does Spears
« on: March 09, 2024, 11:48:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Recruit a quality head coach to this men's basketball program?  Spears has to tell any coach willing to interview that it's a complete teardown and rebuild.  Thankful for the transfer portal.

Spears should try to find a winning coach from a lower division that can bring his entire team with him. 

The following users thanked this post: MUther

HerdFans.com

How does Spears
    « on: March 09, 2024, 11:48:30 PM »

Offline MUther

Re: How does Spears
    « Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 12:01:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Recruit a quality head coach to this men's basketball program?  Spears has to tell any coach willing to interview that it's a complete teardown and rebuild.  Thankful for the transfer portal.

Spears should try to find a winning coach from a lower division that can bring his entire team with him.

1 or 2 quality guys can turn around a basketball team.  Bring your best player and get a few portal guys to replace some dead weight and we're in business.  A good coach is gonna succeed and build a roster quickly.  We don't want his whole team, though.  He'll have guys he wished he didn't on that team, too.

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 12:25:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Preston Spradlin should get the first call for the Marshall job. John Brannen is my second pick for the job.

My short list is free of charge to Spears.

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 12:32:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Preston Spradlin should get the first call for the Marshall job. John Brannen is my second pick for the job.

My short list is free of charge to Spears.

#1. Very good.
    I support both of your choices..,

Looking forward to a brighter day!

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #4 on: March 10, 2024, 12:44:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

In the portal era no problem in BBall

We have enough support to kick arse

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Offline luckytoes99

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2024, 01:03:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I watched #22 Utah State tonight win the regular season MWC title with no returning scorers from last years team. New coach brought in almost a whole new team and molded a championship team in one season. The MWC is looking at possibly 5 or 6 teams going to the big dance so the caliber of competition makes this feat even more incredible.

Our 1st year WBB coach took a decent returning roster, brought in some portal players, installed a unique system, conquered the regular season title, and is on the verge of having the best season in program history.

So with the right hire, our fortunes could change quickly.

Either of two mentioned in this thread would appear to be good hires.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2024, 01:04:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ben Howlett from West Liberty.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan, MUfan08, mubowhunter

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2024, 01:26:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ben Howlett from West Liberty.

He along with 2 others are my top picks...

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2024, 06:39:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The portal can make this a quick turnaround. Spears needs to do his job.

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2024, 08:16:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Spears will do whatever the D'Antoni's tell him to do.

Offline herdfifteen

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2024, 08:29:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Spears will do whatever the D'Antoni's tell him to do.
    I don't believe the decision on DD is in Spears hands, the decision on DD comes from a source above Spears.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, HerdEcon, Collis P, Flat Tire 2

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2024, 08:30:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I watched #22 Utah State tonight win the regular season MWC title with no returning scorers from last years team. New coach brought in almost a whole new team and molded a championship team in one season. The MWC is looking at possibly 5 or 6 teams going to the big dance so the caliber of competition makes this feat even more incredible.

Our 1st year WBB coach took a decent returning roster, brought in some portal players, installed a unique system, conquered the regular season title, and is on the verge of having the best season in program history.

Does anyone think comparing Dan to a real college basketball is fair?

If the people in Old Main don't care about basketball, why should the fans? I stop watching Dan after the game at Indiana.

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, parshall2marshall, wasbarryb, coalherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2024, 08:30:18 AM »

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2024, 08:37:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Does anyone think comparing Dan to a real college basketball is fair?

If the people in Old Main don't care about basketball, why should the fans? I stop watching Dan after the game at Indiana.

They don't because Dan runs the program like 10U team. I think the drop off will be much bigger if he comes back.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2024, 09:22:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As of this morning, here are the Marshall rankings for the 362 D1 teams. Two of services have Dan listed in the bottom third of all college teams.

ReaTime RPI #220
    The NET #243
    RPI Live #248

The above is enough reason to let Dan go.

Offline chris88

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2024, 09:44:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Glad you mentioned the MWC. I was going to post something similar but didn't. The HC here said there is no reason to schedule good teams in better leagues because non power teams don't get at large bids anyway. As you state, however, the MWC is looking at 3-4 at-large bids this year. This is what can happen when your league decides individually and collectively to strive to be top 100 programs (recruiting and scheduling) and shows that the league can be elevated on merit....very much like the MVC did a few years ago before the reshuffling. Back then some said it was because they could put more resources towards basketball because not playing D1 football. Now what's the excuse?
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: wlf, luckytoes99

Offline coalherd

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2024, 01:09:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Didn't the HC at FAU basically do the same thing there a year ago that the HC at UTAH State did this year?  It's called "Coaching".  BUT IT REQUIRES HAVING A CAPABLE AND COMPETENT DIVISION ONE CALIBER HC LEADING YOUR PROGRAM!!  Danny D'Antoni DOES NOT QUALIFY!!

Offline Skidude

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2024, 01:50:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Biggest problem in getting rid of DD is - who is going to come up with the approximately $1.5 million to buy out his contract?

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon, WindMillersDad, miltonherdfan

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2024, 02:15:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Biggest problem in getting rid of DD is - who is going to come up with the approximately $1.5 million to buy out his contract?
    Bingo.  Dan is either too stubborn or proud to quit.  It doesn?t help that he has his little cheering section blowing smoke up his butt to inflate his ego.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2024, 03:25:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Exactly. IIRC, we haven't bought out a major coach's contract since Herrion. We let doc stay too long. we're letting Huff stay too long. & we're letting DD stay too long. I don't think admin/BOG has any intention on spending 1 red cent on a coach's buyout. They appear more than willing to sit back & watch the damage pile up & live with the consequences.

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2024, 03:34:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I get it that Marshall doesn't want to do the buy out for Dan. Too bad the people spending the money on the corporate seats wouldn't pull their donations to help get rid of Dan. Too bad Dan's ego won't let him do the honorable thing and retire.

The people making the decisions have to wonder about the situation when they compare the men's and women's versions of Marshall basketball; night and day. I saw a social media post that Jim Justice's wife was congratulating Kim. Maybe she can convince Jim to let Dan go?lol
    « Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 03:38:14 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, chris88

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2024, 06:10:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

That extension has to go down as one of the worse athletic department related decisions in recent memory. 

The following users thanked this post: jdonaccbus, herdfifteen, herdorbust2

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2024, 06:22:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If mu owes DD 1.5 million he?s staying.  Only attendance drops ever drives mu to do anything

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2024, 06:22:45 PM »

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2024, 08:33:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This could be as bad as the decision for the Reds to trade Frank Robinson.  Sorry Reds fans.

TRS
    MU71

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2024, 08:40:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't even think we'll get as much as a Huff-type statement from Spears about DD's status.

Online MUfan08

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2024, 08:58:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't even think we'll get as much as a Huff-type statement from Spears about DD's status.

Think sometime next week we will get a statement that Marshall is still committed to Dan.
    Will bring up winning 24 games just last season, and the ever changing landscape for college ball with NIL and portal that the program is still navigating through as the struggle for this season.

Think Cline will move to an administration role and Adam will move on as taking the sword for Dan and shaking up the staff.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2024, 08:58:49 PM »