Author Topic: Men's Soccer vs Louisville  (Read 644 times)

Offline luckytoes99

Men's Soccer vs Louisville
« on: March 09, 2024, 03:47:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 2-0 Herd with 7 minutes remaining in first half.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, sardistim, parshall2marshall, herd33, mu79grad, chris88, elginherd

HerdFans.com

Men's Soccer vs Louisville
    « on: March 09, 2024, 03:47:15 PM »

Offline luckytoes99

Re: Men's Soccer vs Louisville
    « Reply #1 on: March 09, 2024, 04:49:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 3-0 Herd with 18 minutes left.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, sardistim

Offline luckytoes99

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 05:15:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Final 3-1.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, sardistim, parshall2marshall, mu79grad, chris88

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #3 on: March 09, 2024, 06:00:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good win!

Offline svherd

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2024, 06:19:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Played better. Still have things to work on. I thought Ohio State was better than UL.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, chris88, luckytoes99, elginherd

Offline MUther

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2024, 10:18:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Played better. Still have things to work on. I thought Ohio State was better than UL.

Maybe we improved a lot between the games.  Made UL look worse than they are.  We do that a lot week to week.  One of our few programs that moves forward instead of backwards as the season goes on.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #6 on: March 09, 2024, 11:25:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe we improved a lot between the games.  Made UL look worse than they are.  We do that a lot week to week.  One of our few programs that moves forward instead of backwards as the season goes on.

We have a baller coach 💪

The following users thanked this post: svherd, luckytoes99, MUther

Offline luckytoes99

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2024, 12:22:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Since the match wasn't televised, I thought I would share some comments.

The game was chippy with a lot of physical play. Louisville racked up 8 yellow cards to Marshall's 2, I believe. It was windy but fortunately it rained for no more than 5 minutes. Given the significance of the match (the winner would control the Spring League South Division), we played only 13 players. Silva came off the bench with Dos Sostos and Sordo in the starting lineup. Short came in for about 6 minutes of the second half. All of last years starters played their normal positions and Rose started at GK.

We had a difficult time staying onside throughout the match. It cost us numerous scoring opportunities.

It appears we are working very hard at building from the back more so than past years. We are not afraid while clearly in possession at midfield to pass it back to the keeper to restart the offense. Most of the time we executed pretty well, however we did lose possession before midfield more often than I personally liked.

The three goals all originated from the back line.

After breaking Louisville's front, Okyoshi quickly identified that Louisville's keeper was too far out of goal and blasted a beautiful 55 yard shot over the keepers head into the back of the net. Second goal was a left side sprint by Godard with cross to the middle, where Pascual seemed to miss the ball before Dos Sostos cleaned it up.

The third goal started with a beautiful pass to midfield by Rose on a restart. His pass was one touched forward to Pasqual who broke past the back line and shot around the keeper into the net. Speaking of Rose, his play has really impressed me. He is very calm starting / restarting the offense while being under pressure. His passing to all levels has been better than both Perotta and Semmle and his defense of the goal has been good.

Louisville's lone goal came from a penalty kick. The foul appeared to be outside the box, however.

We had about 6 or 7 shots on goal to Louisville's 2. Both teams had about the same amount of corner kicks with Louisville having better scoring opportunities than we did.

Overall, it was a good performance over a top 20 program. The wind was a factor but we need to be more crisp on the final touch and stay on side. Those two probably cost us 2 to 3 more goals. We also need to keep control of the ball more in the midfield area.

We are definitely ahead of where we were this time last year. We need Roberto and Amaro back for the fall and hopefully the newcomers not on the squad yet can provide us some depth.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 12:41:02 AM by luckytoes99 »

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2024, 01:30:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

The game was chippy with a lot of physical play. Louisville racked up 8 yellow cards to Marshall's 2, I believe. It was windy but fortunately it rained for no more than 5 minutes. Given the significance of the match (the winner would control the Spring League South Division), we played only 13 players. Silva came off the bench with Dos Sostos and Sordo in the starting lineup. Short came in for about 6 minutes of the second half. All of last years starters played their normal positions and Rose started at GK.

We had a difficult time staying onside throughout the match. It cost us numerous scoring opportunities.

It appears we are working very hard at building from the back more so than past years. We are not afraid while clearly in possession at

I appreciate you!midfield to pass it bato the keeper to restart the offense. Most of the time we executed pretty well, however we did lose possession before midfield more often than I personally liked.

After breaking Louisville's front, Okyoshi quickly identified that Louisville's keeper was too far out of goal and blasted a beautiful 55 yard shot over the keepers head into the back of the net. Second goal was a left side sprint by Godard with cross to the middle, where Pascual seemed to miss the ball before Dos Sostos cleaned it up.

The third goal started with a beautiful pass to midfield by Rose on a restart. His pass was one touched forward to Pasqual who broke past the back line and shot around the keeper into the net. Speaking of Rose, his play has really impressed me. He is very calm starting / restarting the offense while being under pressure. His passing to all levels has been better than both Perotta and Semmle and his defense of the goal has been good.

Louisville's lone goal came from a penalty kick. The foul appeared to be outside the box, however.

We had about 6 or 7 shots on goal to Louisville's 2. Both teams had about the same amount of corner kicks with Louisville having better scoring opportunities than we did.

Overall, it was a good performance over a top 20 program. The wind was a factor but we need to be more crisp on the final touch and stay on side. Those two probably cost us 2 to 3 more goals. We also need to keep control of the ball more in the midfield area.

We are definitely ahead of where we were this time last year. We need Roberto and Amaro back for the fall and hopefully the newcomers not on the squad yet can provide us some depth.

I appreciate you⚽️

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, chris88

Offline overherd1

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2024, 08:09:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks so much for the report lucky.  Always appreciated the reports out there by those who understand the sport.  Sounds like we are building what should be another solid year. 

Does anyone know what newcomers will be here over the summer prior to the start of school next fall?

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline chris88

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2024, 09:28:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

It appears we are working very hard at building from the back more so than past years. We are not afraid while clearly in possession at midfield to pass it back to the keeper to restart the offense. Most of the time we executed pretty well, however we did lose possession before midfield more often than I personally liked.

Great insights as always. Thanks very much!
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, luckytoes99

Offline svherd

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2024, 09:43:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Awesome stuff! Thank you

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, luckytoes99

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2024, 09:43:13 AM »

Offline CoachMaclid

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2024, 10:55:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Given the results to date, I believe we will clinch 1st place in the College Spring League South Division with a win over Xavier on Saturday.  If we deny Xavier points, then we'd have tiebreak over the 2 teams that could equal us even if we lose to Butler.

Marshall (2-0) - 6 points (W vs Ohio State and Louisville)
    Louisville (1-1) - 3 points (W vs Butler, L vs Marshall)
    Xavier (0-0-1) - 1 point (D vs Xavier)
    Butler (0-1-1) - 1 point (L vs Louisville, D vs Xavier)
    Ohio State (0-1) - 0 points (L vs Marshall)

The following users thanked this post: jsbowen, luckytoes99

Offline luckytoes99

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2024, 02:24:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Xavier actually received 2 points for "winning" on penalty kicks versus Butler. Just for the Spring League, matches will go to penalty kicks if tied at end of regulation.

As you note, we are in the drivers seat.

The following users thanked this post: jsbowen, chris88

HerdFans.com

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2024, 02:24:04 PM »