Author Topic: Marshall vs. Ga. State Game Thread (3/7 - 8:30PM)  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Flat Tire 2

Re: Marshall vs. Ga. State Game Thread (3/7 - 8:30PM)
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2024, 09:42:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Checked out The NET this morning. MU jumped from #251 to #243 and still in the bottom third of all D1 college teams ranking. GSU dropped from #209 to #221. JMU is currently at #53 dropping one spot.

I believe the NCAA selection committee uses The Net for seeding purposes in The Big Dance. Just be prepared for the SBC seeding in The Big Dance.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2024, 09:42:47 AM »

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2024, 09:59:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A big problem is that our good shooters mostly have not shot well most of the season...which brings up the next question: Are they really good shooters?

cotton mentioned on the radio pregame that we're shooting 41% for the season, 30% from 3

that's really bad

i wasn't sure how DD would do here when he was hired, but i thought, if nothing else, we'd see some good shooting & lots of scoring.  😞

The following users thanked this post: MicDrass1

Offline wlf

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2024, 10:28:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That's right we haven't had a good shooting team, opposition guards you better than scrimmaging in practice. The 3 point shots taken last night were taken by the people who should have taken them, which is puzzling and not the norm.

When 2 players shoot 62% from the 3 and score 70% of your points , you'll beat any team in  the SBC. Add out rebounding your opponent and you'll beat most teams in America. Ga St played a good basketball game , Curfman and Voyles were just unconscious.
    « Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 10:31:47 AM by wlf »

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, miltonherdfan

Offline MUonium

« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2024, 10:49:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • glad for the team getting a convincing win against a similar, low-level team.

yes, if we don't shoot well as proven in too many games this year, then we lose. 

although we can win it all in this tourney, the odds are stacked against a 'one-trick-pony team', meaning, you aren't going to win many games with two scorers and two rebounders and not much else.  however, the team did go after loose balls well and played decent D. 

now, factor in playing teams with good defense and good offense.

it was an odd game by the Herd.  maybe Herd can get another odd game with a positive outcome against JMU

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2024, 10:58:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A big problem is that our good shooters mostly have not shot well most of the season...which brings up the next question: Are they really good shooters?

The problem is that Curfman has had to play the point most of the season.  He is a spot up shooter and he needs a point guard who can get him the ball in the right position.  Voyles is more of a scorer than a shooter.  He'll get hot occasionally from 3, but his game is mostly slashing to the basket and hitting mid-range shots.  We've talked about this ad-nauseum, but this team desperately needs a PG that can break down a defense, then kick the ball out to open shooters.  Crawford did that a little last night, but his play is too erratic to count on him for heavy minutes.  Plus, he's not a true PG.   

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop, wlf

Offline MUonium

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2024, 11:48:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The problem is that Curfman has had to play the point most of the season.  He is a spot up shooter and he needs a point guard who can get him the ball in the right position.  Voyles is more of a scorer than a shooter.  He'll get hot occasionally from 3, but his game is mostly slashing to the basket and hitting mid-range shots.  We've talked about this ad-nauseum, but this team desperately needs a PG that can break down a defense, then kick the ball out to open shooters.  Crawford did that a little last night, but his play is too erratic to count on him for heavy minutes.  Plus, he's not a true PG.

i'm beginning to question the whole PG issue of which i have mostly agreed with in the past, we needed.  in DD's system (which i bet we have for two more years minimum)- i'm beginning to feel like we just need two or three more guys like Voyles who are capable of doing a little of everything, are decently athletic.
    we have Martin at the high post (maybe Harding or Moe can grow quickly to contribute there). 
    most may disagree, but i feel like Nutter and Crawford have the most upside- we'll see what Will Moore can do next year (overall game) although i rarely count on true freshmen. 
    Conner and Fricks are disapointing at this stage which doesn't instill future confidence- they, and the team overall are too clumsey, slow and inconsistent.

bottom line is we need some surprise, experienced transfer recruits to add to 2024-25 in order to even be in the SBC conversation

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #56 on: March 08, 2024, 01:58:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great win last night 💪

Go Herd!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2024, 01:58:36 PM »