Author Topic: John Brannen wants to coach again--Marshall mentioned  (Read 2300 times)

Offline svherd

Re: John Brannen wants to coach again--Marshall mentioned
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2024, 10:25:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You can't equate soccer with basketball.  I grant you Kim - she's a product of playing and coaching at DII.  Grassie cut his teeth in D-I and, as noted, soccer ain't basketball.
    Doesn't matter Mark. A coach is a coach. They have to work hard, recruit, etc. I don't buy the D1 guy mindset, it's not done well for us over the long haul. Bob was a terrible hire, likely pushed through by someone who had great influence but had no knowledge of the coaching profession. jmho

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2024, 10:25:41 AM »

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2024, 10:44:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not a guy who thinks every head coaching candidate for football and basketball has to have some kind of tie with Marshall.  Having said that, Brannen is a proven winner at the mid-major level.  Also, I have never heard one of his players at NKU come forward to complain about the way they were treated by Brannen.  Obviously something happened at Cincinnati, but I think it was a bit overblown.  It definitely isn't something that should exclude Brannen from ever getting another head coach job for the rest of his life.  He's hungry for another chance.  I think he will give his all to make sure he is successful with his second chance.  He's still relatively young (50) and yes, he does have ties to the school.  IMO, he would be a great candidate to replace DD next season, IF Marshall's administration grows a set and gets rid of DD after the season ends. 

As far as a hiring a D2 coach.  I would have no problem with this approach.  With the high turnover of college rosters because of the transfer portal, I think D2 coaches are more equipped than ever to take over a D1 program, because there has always been a lot of player turnover on that level, so those head coaches are used to doing major roster rebuilds from season to season. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan93, parshall2marshall, Buffalo Bop

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2024, 10:46:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Doesn't matter Mark. A coach is a coach. They have to work hard, recruit, etc. I don't buy the D1 guy mindset, it's not done well for us over the long haul. Bob was a terrible hire, likely pushed through by someone who had great influence but had no knowledge of the coaching profession. jmho

If my memory is correct, there was no conspiracy theory about the hiring of Daniels. On paper it looked like a great hire. He had won two national D2 Championships in first two years as head coach and took KY Wesleyan to the Sweet 16 the next year; fourth place the following year and made it to the round of 32 his final year. Bob was 110-36 at KY Wesleyan. The Marshall job was very attractive at the time with being a nationally ranked team and a lot of the players returning for the next year. I would guess a lot of good coaches were interested in the job.

For whatever reason, Bob couldn't perform at the D1 level. As the better players left the MU program, he couldn't recruit good players and he tanked the program. At the time, D2 players had lower academic requirements which may explain his success at a D2 program?

I talked to Bob a few times at alumni or game receptions. He was not the most impressive guy to have a conversation with, very low key and with an accent. I remember one time talking to him in Florida at a basketball tourney that had invited MU to be team. Out of the blue he told us that he needed an on campus arena to be successful. I was surprised by his comment. One of the other people that heard his comment and told me that Bob should talk to Al McGuire from Marquette since Al played his games in the Milwaukee arena and not in an on campus arena.

I am not adverse to hiring a D2 guy, but it doesn't always translate into success at the next level. I don't think a power school has ever gone that route, but it might work for a mid major? For example; a lot successful mid major coaches have not been successful at the power school level. I guess it just depends on the individual.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Daniels_(basketball)

« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 01:23:09 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: wlf, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2024, 10:51:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If my memory was correct, there was no conspiracy theory about the hiring of Daniels. On paper it looked like a great hire. He had won two national D2 Championships in first two years as head coach and took KY Wesleyan to the Sweet 16 the next year; fourth place the following year and made it to the round of 32 his final year. Bob was 110-36 at KY Wesleyan. The Marshall job was very attractive at the time with being a nationally ranked team and a lot of the players returning for the next year. I would guess a lot of good coaches were interested in the job.

For whatever reason, Bob couldn't perform at the D1 level. As the better players left the MU program, he couldn't recruit good players and he tanked the program. At the time, D2 players had lower academic requirements which may explain his success at a D2 program?

I talked to Bob a few times at alumni or game receptions. He was not the most impressive guy to have a conversation with, very low key and with an accent. I remember one time talking to him in Florida at a basketball tourney that had invited MU to be team. Out of the blue he told us that he needed an on campus arena to be successful. I was surprised by his comment. One of the other people that heard his comment and said he should talk to Al McGuire from Marquette since Al played his games in the Milwaukee arena and not in an on campus arena.

He took a team that had reached #8 in the nation and within 2 years killed it. 

Anyone.... can you name a DII coach that has been successful at DI?  I'm just curious. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, wlf, Lord Haw-Haw

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2024, 10:59:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My short list for the next men's basketball coach at Marshall in this order:

1. Morehead State basketball coach. His team is currently 23-8

2. John Brannen for obvious reasons. He would be a good fit for Marshall.

3. West Liberty basketball coach. Similar background to Kim Caldwell.

i don't know why MSU's coach would wanna leave there for here?  assuming he wants to climb the ranks, he'd be setting himself back coming here, with the little talent he'd be inheriting he'd likely be looking at at least 1 terrible season.  (we just don't need a new coach here, we need a new program!)  kinda like DD was when he took this job after herrion.  nobody could've honestly expected DD to have any kinda of a season at all that 1st year he was here.  & then there's the contract thing...PS signed thru '26.  we don't even buyout our own coaches, we're certainly not gonna buyout someone else's that makes whatever he's gotta be making at MSU.

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2024, 11:00:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was waiting until I read the entire thread, but this is exactly what I was gonna post.👍👍

"Nice pant." - 1980's / 90's TV commercial
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

Offline GoHerd35

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2024, 11:09:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree. Has a proven record of winning and he does deserve a second chance. AW Hamilton seems to be doing some solid things as well.

Article
    https://bnnbreaking.com/sports/john-brannen-eyes-coaching-comeback-from-uc-settlement-to-seeking-mid-major-opportunities

Not that this one game has any effect, but AW got bounced last night (at home) as the one seed in the ASUN Quarterfinals against #10 Jacksonville. He hasn't had much to show for after moving to the ASUN, going 13?18 (5?11 ASUN), 23?14 (12?6 ASUN), and 17?14 (12?4 ASUN).

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, Garbanjo, Lord Haw-Haw

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2024, 11:13:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• i don't know why MSU's coach would wanna leave there for here?  assuming he wants to climb the ranks, he'd be setting himself back coming here, with the little talent he'd be inheriting he'd likely be looking at at least 1 terrible season.  (we just don't need a new coach here, we need a new program!)  kinda like DD was when he took this job after herrion.  nobody could've honestly expected DD to have any kinda of a season at all that 1st year he was here.  & then there's the contract thing...PS signed thru '26.  we don't even buyout our own coaches, we're certainly not gonna buyout someone else's that makes whatever he's gotta be making at MSU.

Good points! Currently MSU is at #116 in The NET and Dan is in the bottom third of all D1 programs at #251. It is not that big of a step up to leave MSU for Marshall unless he gets a great salary increase. Plus the buyout. Taking over the MU program will require a complete rebuild and most of the current players are not D1 level. Whoever replaces Dan is facing a hard task and we will need to be patient.

What is sad is that the Morehead program is so much more successful than MU. I think nearly everyone would think the MU job is better. With all the problems in Huntington, I would take it over living in Morehead. Just shows you what a good coach can do with limited resources.

The following users thanked this post: wlf, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline herdfifteen

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2024, 11:23:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My short list for the next men's basketball coach at Marshall in this order:

1. Morehead State basketball coach. His team is currently 23-8

2. John Brannen for obvious reasons. He would be a good fit for Marshall.

3. West Liberty basketball coach. Similar background to Kim Caldwell.
    I understand the situation with Brannen , however, I would prefer a totally new start. When someone has been released from a previous contract I feel it is better to start with someone else, there are many outstanding possibilities available.

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Offline svherd

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2024, 11:27:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He took a team that had reached #8 in the nation and within 2 years killed it. 

Anyone.... can you name a DII coach that has been successful at DI?  I'm just curious.

You got me man. I am not gonna take time to peruse NCAA hiring's. I just know its worked for us, its worked for the schools that hired Mount Unions football coach, and I am sure numerous others over the years. etc. But heck, it's Marshall, we'll let Corny take over and be in the same boat we are in. Have at it.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, herdorbust2

Offline CoachMaclid

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2024, 11:36:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He took a team that had reached #8 in the nation and within 2 years killed it. 

Bruce Pearl was a D-II head coach for 10 years before taking Tennessee on their tournament runs and then getting Auburn to a Final Four.  John Beilein was at D-II Le Moyne before getting the Richmond, WVU, and Michigan jobs.  Tom Izzo got his first assistant coaching job at D-II Northern Michigan.  Bo Ryan came from D-III to Wisconsin.  There are stories out there.

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, chris88, miltonherdfan

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2024, 11:39:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bruce Pearl was a D-II head coach for 10 years before taking Tennessee on their tournament runs and then getting Auburn to a Final Four.  John Beilein was at D-II Le Moyne before getting the Richmond, WVU, and Michigan jobs.  Tom Izzo got his first assistant coaching job at D-II Northern Michigan.  Bo Ryan came from D-III to Wisconsin.  There are stories out there.

THAT'S the kind of service svherd won't give us.  lol

Thanks. 

- E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2024, 11:39:35 AM »

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2024, 11:45:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The D2 coaches you want are the ones that built programs.  Not taken over a winning Program and won unless it?s been 4 years or more.  Program builders and sustainers you want not inheriters of winning teams then left quickly.  The previous coach did all that work.  The D2 coaches are using the D1 portal and the other portals now.  The portal is the portal - very simple to use. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline wesnky

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2024, 11:47:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Only thing that might hold him back this year is his 2 twin daughters are juniors at New Cath high school in Newport Ky.   Same high school that JB went to.  Both daughters play Basketball and volleyball.   So he might prefer to hold off another year til kids graduate, although with Marshall being 2 1/2 hours from his house I guess he could do some sort of commuting for a year similar to what he did at Dayton.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, richmondherdfan

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2024, 11:58:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just because the Caldwell hire worked for girls does not mean the D2 route is the way to go for men.

High level D2 women's and SBC women's are a lot closer in talent level than D2 men's to SBC men's.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2024, 12:01:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just because the Caldwell hire worked for girls does not mean the D2 route is the way to go for men.

High level D2 women's and SBC women's are a lot closer in talent level than D2 men's to SBC men's.

SBC is high level D2 except for maybe a couple teams

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, herdorbust2

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2024, 12:40:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I honestly don't care where the next head coach comes from, as long as, they are successful here.  I don't think there is any one set way to find a new head coach.  I would like to see a good mix of candidates.  A former successful D1 head coach.  An up and coming assistant at a power school.  A successful D2 head coach, who has had sustained success.  Let's don't limit ourselves by only going down one path.  Let's turn over every rock to find the best candidate. 
    « Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 03:52:39 PM by Rockin Herd Fan »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUfan08, MicDrass1, herdorbust2

Offline mubowhunter

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2024, 01:05:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Brannen would be a good hire

Baller D2 coach would be a good hire

Go Herd!

Ben Howlett

Offline mubowhunter

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2024, 01:08:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• AW has the exact same *NCAA* winning % as DD at a mid-major just like DD...a big NO THX!

I agree might as well keep the current circus intact

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2024, 01:21:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bruce Pearl was a D-II head coach for 10 years before taking Tennessee on their tournament runs and then getting Auburn to a Final Four.  John Beilein was at D-II Le Moyne before getting the Richmond, WVU, and Michigan jobs.  Tom Izzo got his first assistant coaching job at D-II Northern Michigan.  Bo Ryan came from D-III to Wisconsin.  There are stories out there.

FWIW: Not sure if Izzo makes you case since a lot of coaches first assistant jobs were at a lower level school like John Brannen (Morris Harvey aka UC). Izzo was an assistant from 1979-1983 at Northern Michigan and then became an assistant at MSU from 1983-1995. Izzo is more of an example of top DI assistant becoming a head coach. He was never a head coach at a lower college level.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Izzo

A better example might be George King who was the head coach at Morris Harvey and then become an assistant at wvu and then the head coach at wvu and King was also the head coach at Purdue.

A little bit of history. King was the head coach at Purdue when they beat Marshall 79-74 on Jan 30, 1971. Stewart Way was the MU coach and Russel Lee and Mike D'Antoni were on the MU team. The game at Purdue was on WSAZ TV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_King_(basketball%2C_born_1928)

Offline NewfieHerdFan

« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2024, 01:23:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I honestly don't care where the next head coach comes from, as long as, they are successful here.  I don't think there is any one set way to find a new head coach.  I would like to see a good mix of candidates.  A former successful D1 head coach.  A up and coming assistant at a power school.  A successful D2 head coach, who has had sustained success.  Let's don't limit ourselves by only going down one path.  Let's turn over every rock to find the best candidate.

How refreshing would it be for Marshall to have a national coaching search for one of it's top positions? Seems over the years, both basketball and football, it's been a shady process with no real energy or focus behind it.

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2024, 01:34:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The D2 coaches you want are the ones that built programs.  Not taken over a winning Program and won unless it?s been 4 years or more.  Program builders and sustainers you want not inheriters of winning teams then left quickly.  The previous coach did all that work.  The D2 coaches are using the D1 portal and the other portals now.  The portal is the portal - very simple to use.

Daniels did take over a successful program (KY Wesleyan won a national championship and finished third in the two years Bob was the assistant) but he was the head coach at KY Wesleyan for 5 seasons so he went through more than a full four year cycle of recruiting. Daniels took KY Wesleyan to 5 straight post season appearances in the NCAA D2 tournaments and winning two championships after being the assistant coach at KY Wesleyan the previous three years. Daniels continued the success at KW and took the program up to a higher level.  Again, Daniels did appear to be a great choice at the time of his hiring. He just couldn't recruit good D1 players.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_Wesleyan_Panthers_men%27s_basketball
    « Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 01:40:19 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: wlf

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2024, 01:34:08 PM »

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2024, 01:45:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How refreshing would it be for Marshall to have a national coaching search for one of it's top positions? Seems over the years, both basketball and football, it's been a shady process with no real energy or focus behind it.

Depends on the time/position and sense of urgency.  We all know the circumstances of the Freeman hiring, but getting Dana Altman and Stu were good quality, national-level searches.  Greg White was hired mainly b/c he was a "Marshall guy" but he did have experience at Pikeville and as an assistant at UCLA.  Zuff was hired only b/c of Stu's passing, although he was a previous not very successful head coach at Boston College.  Herrion was a moderately successful coach at College of Charleston and parlayed that into the Marshall position, although the warning signs were there from his stint at C of C. 

- E-Man

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2024, 01:55:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The good D2 now are mid major D1.  The portal has changed everything.  It?s not the same out here as it was 30 years ago.  More quality players everywhere even if undersized.  John Brannen would be better than DD right now.  I know Coach Kim should help the search. 
    « Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 01:57:16 PM by MicDrass1 »

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2024, 02:04:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Only thing that might hold him back this year is his 2 twin daughters are juniors at New Cath high school in Newport Ky.   Same high school that JB went to.  Both daughters play Basketball and volleyball.   So he might prefer to hold off another year til kids graduate, although with Marshall being 2 1/2 hours from his house I guess he could do some sort of commuting for a year similar to what he did at Dayton.

his girls will be in college before we have an opening

The following users thanked this post: MicDrass1, Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2024, 02:04:59 PM »