Author Topic: Thoughts on 'THE JACK" after opening weekend?  (Read 778 times)

Offline FilmJunky

Thoughts on 'THE JACK" after opening weekend?
« on: March 04, 2024, 08:17:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Overall a good opening weekend in the new baseball stadium for the herd taking 2 of 3. Weather was so so the first couple days but still pretty good crowds on hand considering weather and softball playing several games as well. My overall thoughts on the stadium are this:

PROS :
    1. Concession stands on the each end were smart. This helps the concourse not get as crowded.
    2. Not a bad seat in the house.
    3. We can watch baseball in Huntington!!!!

CONS :
    1. The scoreboard is tough to see for those who don't have good eyes
    2. The PA system while sounding very very crisp and clear was a little loud IMO
    3. The rows of seats are too close together. If you aren't on an aisle it was tough to get out to go to the concession etc.. especially depending who was sitting in your row. 

THINGS I EXPECT TO BE FIXED:
    1. Have heard there are outfield suites coming. Not sure to what extent but that's what the rumor is
    2. The netting I believe will be extended to cover over top of the fans. Foul balls can and will be dangerous.
    3. Entry Process. I know the first weekend was super busy, but knowing there would be lines I feel as if they should have opened the gates a little sooner. This reminded me of the VA Tech football game on the east side. Capacity crowd and 3 gates open with 2 workers.

Overall, a very nice stadium that is pretty fan friendly. No major outliers as far as concerns, and I fully expect constant work being done when Marshall is on the road. SKO HERD

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, herdfan93, svherd, biggreenarms, ru4mu2, chris88, Surbadger

HerdFans.com

Thoughts on 'THE JACK" after opening weekend?
    « on: March 04, 2024, 08:17:26 AM »

Offline puma

Re: Thoughts on 'THE JACK" after opening weekend?
    « Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 10:30:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was pleasantly surprised with how well everything seemed to go with a brand new facility and a big crowd. I was expecting a few kinks that would need to be ironed out, especially with the bathrooms and concessions. But they were fine. The concession stand on the 3rd base line was probably the fastest and most efficient one I've ever seen at a Marshall sporting event.

The only negative I can think of was the video board. The strike count was too small for my middle aged eyes to read from behind home plate. I also think $20 for SRO was a big steep but I have a hunch that will come down next season and maybe sooner if they start putting out promotions.

I had a great time this weekend with my family. It's actually the first MU baseball game I ever attended. I could definitely tell the players were really hyped up to play in front of a solid home crowd.

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, herdfan93, chris88, FilmJunky

Offline GoHerd35

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 10:34:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• « Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 11:19:48 AM by GoHerd35 »

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan, chris88, MUonium

Offline herd2win

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 11:30:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great seeing the university grow and the baseball team getting a much overdue place to play.  I hope Mr. Smith can stick around for another decade as the difference he makes could last for decades.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, mr_ash_1995, svherd, chris88

Offline GreenBison

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2024, 11:45:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I saw a lot of fans leaning on the outfield fence. Is that part of SRO?
    The smell of arcrid smoke and horses breath - The Trooper - Steve Harris

Offline svherd

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 11:48:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It was a fun weekend being a Herd fan. We went to the womens b'ball Fridayt night and the soccer game Saturday. With those going on and baseball/softball playing at home - lots to be happy about around Herdnation. Super pleased with our minor sports and how they compete!

Hope Beals can recruit now and make our program more competitive.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan, mr_ash_1995, puma

Offline puma

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 11:53:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I saw a lot of fans leaning on the outfield fence. Is that part of SRO?

Right field is included in the SRO area. It would be a good place to bring some fold out chairs or a blanket. SRO behind home plate is also really nice. There's a bar top/counter above the actual seats that gives a place to lean on and set drinks down.

I had SRO tickets and didn't feel like I was missing out on anything. I might actually prefer, too.

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan, svherd

Offline svherd

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 12:29:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good to know they allow lawn chairs in the SRO area. At least in the outfield. Are the grassy areas down the right and left field foul lines considered SRO as well?

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 12:51:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope to get there the next weekend series. Medical issues prevent me from being in cool and damp weather for long.

Offline thunderingon

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2024, 01:48:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I made it to Friday and Sunday and loved everything about it. I agree that the scoreboard is hard to read at times, but I think that will be better at night. I have no issues with the sound. The BG is looking for my brick, but otherwise, it is so good to have this stadium and baseball on campus. The team is a work in progress and there are a high number of seniors, so Beal will be reconstructing this roster, which will be fun to watch. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline herdnon

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2024, 02:00:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Cross-posting from another forum as a response to the complaints on why only SRO tickets are available.

What I learned from this weekend is the SRO is actually a great option (maybe even the best option). I don't have season tickets, but if I did get one, I would have regretted spending the extra money. The reserved seats are nice but there are a lot of good spots to setup a lawn chair or a blanket, and have just as good a view of the game. For yesterday's game, I just stood at the counters behind section 106 the whole game chatting with people. I explored the perimeter of the stadium and one of my favorite spot is behind the outfield fence. You can setup a lawn chair up there and have a good view of the field. My wife ended up sitting in one of the reserved seats after a few innings to confirm no one is going to use those seats (there are lots of empty seats to use and no one is checking your tickets).
    « Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 03:29:31 PM by herdnon »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, mr_ash_1995, svherd, puma

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 03:14:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I watched over streaming.
    I have to say it was a proud moment in University history.

The Jack really looked great!

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 03:14:20 PM »

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2024, 06:29:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I had a good time, was only able to attend opening day. I sat left field line in a chair. Felt like a chair with some cut legs would have been great. Will do that for future games. Right field line looked almost too steep for a chair. SRO tickets should only be about 10-12 dollars. A small scoreboard on the clubhouse would be nice for outfield viewing. I'm sure the experience will get better. Some replays would have been nice. All in all I had a Great time. Good to be a MU fan.

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2024, 01:21:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Overall a good opening weekend in the new baseball stadium for the herd taking 2 of 3. Weather was so so the first couple days but still pretty good crowds on hand considering weather and softball playing several games as well. My overall thoughts on the stadium are this:

PROS :
    1. Concession stands on the each end were smart. This helps the concourse not get as crowded.
    2. Not a bad seat in the house.
    3. We can watch baseball in Huntington!!!!

CONS :
    1. The scoreboard is tough to see for those who don't have good eyes
    2. The PA system while sounding very very crisp and clear was a little loud IMO
    3. The rows of seats are too close together. If you aren't on an aisle it was tough to get out to go to the concession etc.. especially depending who was sitting in your row. 

THINGS I EXPECT TO BE FIXED:
    1. Have heard there are outfield suites coming. Not sure to what extent but that's what the rumor is
    2. The netting I believe will be extended to cover over top of the fans. Foul balls can and will be dangerous.
    3. Entry Process. I know the first weekend was super busy, but knowing there would be lines I feel as if they should have opened the gates a little sooner. This reminded me of the VA Tech football game on the east side. Capacity crowd and 3 gates open with 2 workers.

Overall, a very nice stadium that is pretty fan friendly. No major outliers as far as concerns, and I fully expect constant work being done when Marshall is on the road. SKO HERD

Some people you just cannot please no matter what
    Sigh

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2024, 01:23:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great seeing the university grow and the baseball team getting a much overdue place to play.  I hope Mr. Smith can stick around for another decade as the difference he makes could last for decades.

U do realize he had essentially nothing to do with making the stadium a reality
    Correct

Offline herd2win

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2024, 01:29:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • U do realize he had essentially nothing to do with making the stadium a reality
    Correct

Yes, I was speaking more about academically growing along with improving athletics.  I know this has been in the works for a long time.  Just very positive seeing growth for MU and Huntington.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, FilmJunky

Offline svherd

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2024, 01:31:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • U do realize he had essentially nothing to do with making the stadium a reality
    Correct

JJ gave the money to get us over the top. But who did push it to reality? Spears, Smith, BOG? Sure as hell not MH or Gilbert. Those two screwed up the whole initial bid process; thus setting it back.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2024, 02:14:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • JJ gave the money to get us over the top. But who did push it to reality? Spears, Smith, BOG? Sure as hell not MH or Gilbert. Those two screwed up the whole initial bid process; thus setting it back.

C'mon... to be fair, MH and JG were trying to put lipstick on a pig.  There was no land on which to build the stadium b/c ACF (Warren Buffet) wasn't budging on wanting 'fair market value' for the site.  Marshall didn't have that kind of money for land acquisition so they focused on the property between 3rd and 5th Avenues. It would have been a terrible location in hindsight, but at the time they felt that it was the only option.

Fast forward to 2021, and Huntington receives grants from the federal government and receives that Best Communities award that allowed it to purchase and rehabilitate most of the ACF lot to allow for the baseball field to be built in an optimal site.  It happened while Brad and Christian were at the helm, but don't think for a minute that MH and JG wouldn't have loved to build it there if that had been an option when they were starting the process.   
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: Surbadger

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2024, 02:28:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • C'mon... to be fair, MH and JG were trying to put lipstick on a pig.  There was no land on which to build the stadium b/c ACF (Warren Buffet) wasn't budging on wanting 'fair market value' for the site.  Marshall didn't have that kind of money for land acquisition so they focused on the property between 3rd and 5th Avenues. It would have been a terrible location in hindsight, but at the time they felt that it was the only option.

Fast forward to 2021, and Huntington receives grants from the federal government and receives that Best Communities award that allowed it to purchase and rehabilitate most of the ACF lot to allow for the baseball field to be built in an optimal site.  It happened while Brad and Christian were at the helm, but don't think for a minute that MH and JG wouldn't have loved to build it there if that had been an option when they were starting the process.   

I don't think Warren Buffet had anything to do with ACF, it was Carl Icahn if my memory is correct?

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93, miltonherdfan, BigJimslade

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2024, 02:29:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Some people you just cannot please no matter what
    Sigh

Some people just don't understand 
    Sigh

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2024, 02:31:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • JJ gave the money to get us over the top. But who did push it to reality? Spears, Smith, BOG? Sure as hell not MH or Gilbert. Those two screwed up the whole initial bid process; thus setting it back.

I can promise you Spears did not have anything to do with it. He'll put it on his resume that he did, but he in fact did not. This was getting done one way or another no matter who was in charge within the university / athletic department

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2024, 02:47:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't think Warren Buffet had anything to do with ACF, it was Carl Icahn if my memory is correct?

You're correct.  Got my robber barons mixed up. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2024, 02:47:24 PM »

Offline svherd

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2024, 02:47:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • C'mon... to be fair, MH and JG were trying to put lipstick on a pig.  There was no land on which to build the stadium b/c ACF (Warren Buffet) wasn't budging on wanting 'fair market value' for the site.  Marshall didn't have that kind of money for land acquisition so they focused on the property between 3rd and 5th Avenues. It would have been a terrible location in hindsight, but at the time they felt that it was the only option.

Don't doubt their intentions but the fact the bids came in over 8 million dollars above budget tells me they had no idea what they were doing. Glad it was delayed or this stadium project would have been a boondoggle.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

HerdFans.com

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2024, 02:47:58 PM »