Author Topic: Marshall WBB vs Georgia Southern Game Thread (3/1 - 6PM)  (Read 615 times)

Online GoHerd35

Marshall WBB vs Georgia Southern Game Thread (3/1 - 6PM)
« on: March 01, 2024, 05:54:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

HerdFans.com

Marshall WBB vs Georgia Southern Game Thread (3/1 - 6PM)
    « on: March 01, 2024, 05:54:00 PM »

Offline carolinaherdfan

Re: Marshall WBB vs Georgia Southern Game Thread (3/1 - 6PM)
    « Reply #1 on: March 01, 2024, 06:10:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I love our team

Online elginherd

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2024, 07:06:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall up 39-23 at halftime.
    Score could be a lot more one-sided than that.
    The crowd looks and sounds great on TV.

Unfortunately, as usual for the home productions, there's a production problem.
    The score bug is lacking the shot clock and times out, plus the score is very slow to update...it even moves the wrong way at times. Either points are subtracted or added to the wrong team.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Online elginherd

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2024, 07:36:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Lead up to +40 at the end of the third.

Online elginherd

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2024, 07:52:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Coach Kim is going to have sort of a good problem to have.
    When the Southern coach waves the white flag and empties her bench, what does Coach Kim do?
    She pretty much empties her bench every couple of minutes.

The following users thanked this post: luckytoes99

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2024, 07:55:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 23 wins ties a regular season record for Marshall.

Online parshall2marshall

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2024, 08:17:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In other news :

JMU leads ODU  @ODU 66-48 with 3 minutes left in the 4th.

Good result for the Herd IMHO. And I guess JMU really did not want to face the Herd before the Finals after all..
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

The following users thanked this post: Collis P

Online parshall2marshall

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2024, 08:25:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Coach Kim is going to have sort of a good problem to have.
    When the Southern coach waves the white flag and empties her bench, what does Coach Kim do?
    She pretty much empties her bench every couple of minutes.

If we can build a big lead going into the 4th on Friday I think Shoehorn, Peyton Place, RutherfordB, and Tree and maybe 1 starter can hold down the fort to save energy for Sunday & Monday.

Big Mo still does not have her legs back yet.
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2024, 08:53:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good way to close out the regular season. Now, let's make some noise in Florida.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, panthersherd

Offline svherd

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2024, 09:57:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This team is even more impressive in person. They hustle, play smart, shoot the ball well and are relentless and swarming on defense. Beeman is impressive with her vision and passing skills.
    She and Campbell will be very tough to replace. At $5 a ticket and general admission seating, these games are a bargain and fun. They will have some issues with JMU or Troy's size.

Kim is awesome!

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, miltonherdfan, luckytoes99

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2024, 10:09:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This team is even more impressive in person. They hustle, play smart, shoot the ball well and are relentless and swarming on defense. Beeman is impressive with her vision and passing skills.
    She and Campbell will be very tough to replace. At $5 a ticket and general admission seating, these games are a bargain and fun. They will have some issues with JMU or Troy's size.

Kim is awesome!
    You're not kidding about the excitement. I get tired just watching them. I plan on attending more games next year.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, miltonherdfan

Online GoHerd35

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2024, 10:22:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2024, 10:22:45 PM »

Online parshall2marshall

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2024, 11:04:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Looks like our opening round will be either Appy or GA ST. Appy has not played well away from home and GA ST has totally collapsed other than a win at JMU a few weeks ago.

As far as rebounding I think it was mentioned we won the glass by 12 however I think it should be noted:

1) GASO had 6'2 and 6'4" regulars out ( per analyst Sarah Jane Moore )
    2)  Seemed like a LOT of offensive rebounds on missed treys bouncing far from the rim for us
    2) "Suitcase" or road/crowd  factor : GA SO seemed a little soft underneath

We were as physical as I had seen ( from my ESPN+ viewpoint). e.g. Oscar Maier got "hang time" again this game on a player she had shoved to the floor.

Glad that Coach Kim said were still emphasizing rebounding ( and are doing better at it late in the season ).
    « Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 11:33:07 PM by parshall2marshall »

Offline MUonium

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2024, 01:27:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • congrats for a great first-year regular season coaching job, including putting together a good combination of players/personalites and probably staff, as well.

there are some questions i'd like someone to ask (maybe better suited for when the sesaon has concluded)-

When the ball gets down in the paint, whether by pass or dribble, when is there a green light to shoot and when is it a red light, meaning, pass it back out to the perimeter?  The reason I ask is that many times it looks to me like the best descision or option might be to take the shot.  Most of the time, i'm referring to within about 5 to 7 ft of the basket.  One too many passes sometimes or not?

Why do you make substitutions at aprox the one-minute mark of every game?  Why so early in the game, before anybody even has a chance to warm up?  Routine consistency?  It's not that it's not working or really matters i guess, just curiousity.

Is the difference between the OOC record and the SBC record this year a reflection of the time it takes to figure out a new team or is it the difference in level of competition?  Is it a combination of those and possibly more factors such as being a first-year D1 coach?

i'd like to see some other good questions- put to a good coach who doesn't make snide remarks and alienate the questioner?

Online parshall2marshall

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2024, 08:31:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good questions and observations MU. I of course don't have many answers but wanted to opine that there obviously must be a strong method to Coach Kim's "madness".

As far as substitutions I have observed the early mass substitutions of 4 or 5 players even before the squad on the floor has time to accomplish much. This may be a method of "warming people up" or even sending a message to the other team that the Herd is a show of force. As the game wears on - how should I politely put it - our more effective players get more minutes and the substitutions go down in the number of actual players or at least contain more of our top 8 or 9.

As far as open looks from 8 to 10 feet that you have mentioned, I cannot tell how open they really are. Certainly some of the shots would be challenged. Mark Martin pointed out that we have the 3 of the top 4  3-pt shooters in the SBC by percentage in Oscar, Ace, and Beewoman ( if I am not mistaken ). The 3-pointer is a wea-pon if you consider that 33% from 3 is about equal to 50% from inside the arc, and as a team Herdzone had us at 34% or 34.1% as a team. Pretty darn good IMHO. Point being Coach Kim is stressing that we should be passing it around until we get an open look from 3 or Ace decides to drive the lane.

Difficult for me to even try to weigh in on the early season. ESPN+ archives only goes back a few weeks so even in my fixation on MU WBB I am too late to try to analyze the early season. Our woes were probably a combination of quite a few things. Especially when a 17-25 ( depending on point in time ) PPG player is removed. Our press requires a lot of practice and in-game experience to get right. Even when it is clicking we are still going to give up a lot of easy baskets which used to bother the heck out of me. On the season we are being outshot by several percentage points but with the 3-pointer and getting a lot more opportunities due to turnovers we still have a 13+ PPG scoring margin.

Recently ( not Senior Night ) Lawhorne was inserted and shot an airball from the corner. Then, she was left in no-man's land at midcourt setting up for the press as her "man" streaked to the basket for an easy over the top score and that was the only minute Lawhorne played. I am not sure at all that that was her assignment / "fault". I think she is taller and more talented than several in the rotation but Coach Kim is obviously in-focus on our system and Lawhorne really hasn't had the minutes to really excel in it for some reason.

I would like to see players like Maier and Scott run the baseline in the half-court and get an opposite low post screen from the likes of Redwoman, Biscuit, and Alicia Hayes. We may need something like that to get better looks for the three as the level of comp rises later this season. Other than that I think it almost like magic how we unselfishly  move the basketball and there almost always seems to be someone open at the end of the shot clock. All of our players are usually playing within themselves and taking shots that they have a high chance of making.

Just my thoughts.

congrats for a great first-year regular season coaching job, including putting together a good combination of players/personalites and probably staff, as well.

there are some questions i'd like someone to ask (maybe better suited for when the sesaon has concluded)-

When the ball gets down in the paint, whether by pass or dribble, when is there a green light to shoot and when is it a red light, meaning, pass it back out to the perimeter?  The reason I ask is that many times it looks to me like the best descision or option might be to take the shot.  Most of the time, i'm referring to within about 5 to 7 ft of the basket.  One too many passes sometimes or not?

Why do you make substitutions at aprox the one-minute mark of every game?  Why so early in the game, before anybody even has a chance to warm up?  Routine consistency?  It's not that it's not working or really matters i guess, just curiousity.

Is the difference between the OOC record and the SBC record this year a reflection of the time it takes to figure out a new team or is it the difference in level of competition?  Is it a combination of those and possibly more factors such as being a first-year D1 coach?

i'd like to see some other good questions- put to a good coach who doesn't make snide remarks and alienate the questioner?
    « Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 09:22:27 PM by parshall2marshall »

The following users thanked this post: sardistim, MUonium

HerdFans.com

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2024, 08:31:28 PM »