Author Topic: DD will be gone  (Read 2967 times)

DD will be gone
« on: February 28, 2024, 09:30:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have bit my tongue for most of this year, but DD will be gone. I keep seeing people post he was given a three year extension. While this is semi-true its a misnomer. DD has no guaranteed money. There is an off ramp for both parties at the end of each season. So, Marshall could move in another direction and not owe DD a buyout. Further, if you have just paid attention to the season and the happenings of the year, it is easy to see DD will be stepping aside. Articles critiquing the administration, poopooing the double header, etc. Also him thanking everyone in the pre and postgame against App State. DD would not be doing these things if he intended to stay. He is now the oldest coach in the country and his age has been showing. This is the end of the DD era. We do not need to argue it or fret about it anymore.
    « Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 09:33:16 PM by HerdFanatic304 »

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

DD will be gone
    « on: February 28, 2024, 09:30:11 PM »

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    Re: DD will be gone
    « Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 09:35:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have bit my tongue for most of this year, but DD will be gone. I keep seeing people post he was given a three year extension. While this is semi-true its a misnomer. DD has no guaranteed money. There is an off ramp for both parties at the end of each season. So, Marshall could move in another direction and not owe DD a buyout. Further, if you have just paid attention to the season and the happenings of the year, it is easy to see DD will be stepping aside. Articles critiquing the administration, poopooing the double header, etc. Also him thanking everyone in the pre and postgame against App State. DD would not be doing these things if he intended to stay. He is now the oldest coach in the country and his age has been showing. This is the end of the DD era. We do not need to argue it or fret about it anymore.

Hope you're right because this is so Fing bad

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 09:37:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Then why is he saying we need to get two scorers and this and that next year?

The following users thanked this post: svherd, herdfan129, BigJimslade

Offline herdman22

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 09:53:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Then why is he saying we need to get two scorers and this and that next year?
    Because we do, no matter who the coach is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2024, 09:55:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Then why is he saying we need to get two scorers and this and that next year?

I guess 304 has missed all the posts with links sourcing the 3-yr deal replacing the 1-1-1 arrangement

Unless his source is spears or smith, there's nobody that would have a better idea of what DD's plans are than herdmeister, & someone posted last wk herdmeister posted somewhere he's coaching thru this entire contract

Unless Dan changes his mind, which he's entitled to do, & retires, he'll be here thru 25-26.

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, ru4mu2, horsrman, herdorbust2

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2024, 09:55:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Because we do, no matter who the coach is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will see. I don't think he has any intention of retiring.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2024, 09:55:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wouldn't this info be public with a simple FOIA request? How do we not know? Is the local media too inept for that?

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2024, 09:55:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Need 10 scorers

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Online mu79grad

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2024, 09:56:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A few positives from Coach Dantoni's post-game press conference.  1) It's only four minutes in length 2) You can distinctly hear the questions 3) If we play hard we can win the next game 4) The last comment from Dan, "We have to be better heading into next year."  However, I'm not sure that is a positive!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2024, 09:59:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2024, 10:14:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A few positives from Coach Dantoni's post-game press conference.  1) It's only four minutes in length 2) You can distinctly hear the questions 3) If we play hard we can win the next game 4) The last comment from Dan, "We have to be better heading into next year."  However, I'm not sure that is a positive!

Listening to Dan mouth the same thing in every interview reminds me of the old saying; there's no fool like an old fool.  If he believes a word of what he is saying he has to be the only one at this point.

There is no life left in Herd men's bball.  We need a new start. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, coalherd, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline coalherd

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2024, 10:19:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What player with the talent the HERD desperately needs and with half a brain is going to sign to come to MU And play for a sinking program which the HC, D'Antoni, has already foundering at, or near, the bottom of the D-1 basketball ocean?  His MU record already documents that he is a mediocre, even terrible, recruiter.  So, the odds of him even being able to "right the ship" next season, or even in TWO seasons is slim and none!  And Slim has already departed Huntington with a hundred or so other folks since the first of the year as the city's decades long Exodus continues!!  Just ain't gonna happen folks as long as DD is still in charge of MU's men's basketball program!

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2024, 10:19:00 PM »

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2024, 10:19:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No question Dan has sucked the life out of men's basketball. He should have retired after last season.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Rockin Herd Fan, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2024, 10:25:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No question Dan has sucked the life out of men's basketball. He should have retired after last season.

Just look at men's soccer.

Just look at Cantwell's women.

Marshall has an avid ready fan bases just waiting and hungry for a winner in any sport.

But that fan base wants a reason to get excited.  They are hungry for winning and the BS Dans tries to feed us just won't cut it any longer.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, herdorbust2

Offline herd2win

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2024, 10:58:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dan will be back.  Every comment for the last several weeks he has commented on recruiting and next year.  Also, unless something major has changed information I received from someone that should know made me believe he is returning.

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2024, 11:06:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I guess 304 has missed all the posts with links sourcing the 3-yr deal replacing the 1-1-1 arrangement

Unless his source is spears or smith, there's nobody that would have a better idea of what DD's plans are than herdmeister, & someone posted last wk herdmeister posted somewhere he's coaching thru this entire contract

Unless Dan changes his mind, which he's entitled to do, & retires, he'll be here thru 25-26.

lmao I love herdmeister but if you have not learned to take his reports with a grain of salt then I cannot help you. again not a shot at HM, he loves marshall and is a good guy. but come on now

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan129

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2024, 11:22:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • lmao I love herdmeister but if you have not learned to take his reports with a grain of salt then I cannot help you. again not a shot at HM, he loves marshall and is a good guy. but come on now

I did take his team "evaluations" with a grain of salt, absolutely. He's incapable of being negative/objective about anything herd hoops. But there's no opinion involved in saying dans coming back. I mean, it's either true or it isn't.  & none of us are more likely to know the answer to that than HM. He wouldn't have made a statement like that if he didn't know that was dans intention.

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD, horsrman

Offline MUther

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2024, 11:58:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The bigger picture is Dan himself may not know his future until it happens.  So no one ese who knows him would, either.  People are assuming that he's coming back because he talks like a man who's coming back.  You know who else did that? 11 year coach of the year Doc Holliday.  He had no idea he was getting canned.  Remember him saying he was eating a bowl of cereal like every other day and found out he was no longer the coach.  The season is still going on.  They aren't going to hit him with that now, even if it is their intention.  I'm not saying he is or isn't, but if I were in charge and wanted to do this right, I'd wait till the dust settled this year and then tell him we've decided to go a different direction, these are your options on how to handle it, choose the one that best fits how you see this going, the decision has been made.  Then hope like hell he chooses an option that says he's voluntarily stepping down and doesn't try to fight it.  It's already done, put the grace on him to to give a nice speech and go out a hero.  No one would know in advance, except those that made the decision, that was happening until it happened.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93, herdfan129, Lord Haw-Haw

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2024, 12:52:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The bigger picture is Dan himself may not know his future until it happens.  So no one ese who knows him would, either.  People are assuming that he's coming back because he talks like a man who's coming back.  You know who else did that? 11 year coach of the year Doc Holliday.  He had no idea he was getting canned.  Remember him saying he was eating a bowl of cereal like every other day and found out he was no longer the coach.  The season is still going on.  They aren't going to hit him with that now, even if it is their intention.  I'm not saying he is or isn't, but if I were in charge and wanted to do this right, I'd wait till the dust settled this year and then tell him we've decided to go a different direction, these are your options on how to handle it, choose the one that best fits how you see this going, the decision has been made.  Then hope like hell he chooses an option that says he's voluntarily stepping down and doesn't try to fight it.  It's already done, put the grace on him to to give a nice speech and go out a hero.  No one would know in advance, except those that made the decision, that was happening until it happened.

doc's contract expired, though, & we didn't owe him a penny to tell him to take a hike.  that's a big difference.  i don't think it's much of a stretch to assume spears really likes DD.  he didn't have to scrap the 1-1-1 deal they agreed to after '21-'22.  it just didn't make any sense to do what spears did, unless he was confident he'd be content with 3 more yrs of DD.  the guy was 75 yo & there's ZERO chance anyone was gonna come calling for him...there was no reason to scrap that "series" of contracts deal.  but he did, & here we are, on the hook for ~$1.25M more of DD.

The following users thanked this post: mu79grad

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2024, 06:01:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We are not winning anymore with DD and his system of play and recruiting philosophy

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, herdorbust2

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2024, 07:38:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• doc's contract expired, though, & we didn't owe him a penny to tell him to take a hike.  that's a big difference.  i don't think it's much of a stretch to assume spears really likes DD.  he didn't have to scrap the 1-1-1 deal they agreed to after '21-'22.  it just didn't make any sense to do what spears did, unless he was confident he'd be content with 3 more yrs of DD.  the guy was 75 yo & there's ZERO chance anyone was gonna come calling for him...there was no reason to scrap that "series" of contracts deal.  but he did, & here we are, on the hook for ~$1.25M more of DD.

If Dan ends up 12-20, one would think that Spears would make a change? If Spears keeps Dan, then we have a problem with Spears or the people in Old Main. Dan has his supporters/friends, but the rest of fan base is in revolt. Expecting Dan to turn it around next year would take wholesale changes in recruiting and coaching, that is not going to happen.

Maybe Dan will be convinced to retire by his family? This is bad situation for Marshall.

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2024, 07:55:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Once again, the contract explanation

http://www.herdfans.com/12thman/index.php?topic=117488.msg1052046#msg1052046

It's not a 3 year contract.  There is zero buyout. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Buffalo Bop

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2024, 07:55:43 AM »

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2024, 07:58:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Dan ends up 12-20, one would think that Spears would make a change? If Spears keeps Dan, then we have a problem with Spears or the people in Old Main. Dan has his supporters/friends, but the rest of fan base is in revolt. Expecting Dan to turn it around next year would take wholesale changes in recruiting and coaching, that is not going to happen.

Maybe Dan will be convinced to retire by his family? This is bad situation for Marshall.
    [/b]

Terrible mistake was made two years ago when he wasn't let go then.

Keeping him beyond this year only compounds the problem.

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2024, 08:00:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• It's not a 3 year contract.  There is zero buyout.

You have posted this multiple times on different boards, and I asked before and will ask again, where is this coming from and what source are you referencing?

Offline ru4mu2

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2024, 08:05:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I guess 304 has missed all the posts with links sourcing the 3-yr deal replacing the 1-1-1 arrangement

Would love to know who's idea it was to nix the 1-1-1 arrangement!!  They have set MU basketball back!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2024, 08:05:22 AM »