Author Topic: Congrats WBB Program - SBC Champs!  (Read 917 times)

Online MicDrass1

Congrats WBB Program - SBC Champs!
« on: February 27, 2024, 09:02:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A very impressive job done by everyone in the program.  Winners win!  Congratulations!!

HerdFans.com

Congrats WBB Program - SBC Champs!
    « on: February 27, 2024, 09:02:25 PM »

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    Re: Congrats WBB Program - SBC Champs!
    « Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 09:06:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sweet!

Congrats to WBBall

Go Herd!
    « Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 09:37:08 PM by Garbanjo »

Offline herd2win

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 09:18:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Way to go Ladies.  You made all of us alumni very proud.  Your hard work didn't go unnoticed.

Thank you

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, svherd, chris88, Herdalum83

Offline goherd73

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 09:32:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, mu79grad, chris88, luckytoes99

Offline mu79grad

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 10:56:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Post-Game Comments From Coach Caldwell. 

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, Collis P, miltonherdfan, luckytoes99

Offline Gaylen

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 11:28:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So happy I got tears in my eyes. Thank you coach and team. It feels great to feel this good. Get it rolling ...

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Collis P, chris88

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2024, 11:35:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A great day in Marshall University History.

A regular season conference championship...

Well done Team/Coach. Just keep making us proud!

We are so proud of you!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, parshall2marshall

Offline yogiherd

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2024, 03:11:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Congrats Herd Women's Basketball!!! Great team play and hustle every game with great coaching!!!
    In God We Trust.
    United We Stand.
    God Bless America.
    go herd!!!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, chris88, MicDrass1

Offline muherd34

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2024, 08:16:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Congratulations Ladies! 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, chris88

Offline NewfieHerdFan

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2024, 08:19:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So awesome! Congratulations! Shows what a good coach can do in this conference.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, Buffalo Bop, chris88, herdfan129

Offline chris88

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2024, 08:29:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So how does one get one of those nice looking Champs t-shirts?
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: puma

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2024, 08:56:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Awesome!!!  Congrats to the team and a great job by Coach Caldwell and her coaching staff.   

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2024, 08:56:26 AM »

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2024, 09:07:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am not an expert on WB. From what I can research;  SBC WB is like SBC MB, not at the highest level. Beating the University of Florida shows the potential of the team. I am amazed by the job Kim did this year, taking over a program and turning it to champions in her first year. It just shows what a great basketball coach she is and how lucky we are to have her leading the program. She reminds me of Carl Tacy.

Congrats to the coaching staff and the team! You made us proud! We play for championships!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan93, svherd

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #13 on: February 28, 2024, 09:18:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You have to consider the enormity of what she did. She has not really had a recruiting cycle, certainly not enough to get all of her players into the system. She cut possibly her best offensive player because the player didn't want to play in the system and she still won the league. I hope we really commit to her and the program. She has ties to the area and could be more Chris Grassie than Billy Donovan.

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2024, 09:21:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Like coach Caldwell, I am greedy. Let's take down Georgia Southern in the final game on Friday and then sweep thru the conference tournament. I did notice that the player who had been hurt, forget her name, played some last night. I'm sure it will take some time for her to get her legs back to playing the frentic pace we play. I'm sure coach wiil work her hard over the next couple of days to get her more ready. I just wish they had something with the name of the players like those three point signs they gave out for the men. Maybe since we are drawing good crowds, this will be fixed for next year.

The following users thanked this post: whf

Offline ru4mu2

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2024, 10:14:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Like coach Caldwell, I am greedy. Let's take down Georgia Southern in the final game on Friday and then sweep thru the conference tournament. I did notice that the player who had been hurt, forget her name, played some last night. I'm sure it will take some time for her to get her legs back to playing the frentic pace we play. I'm sure coach wiil work her hard over the next couple of days to get her more ready. I just wish they had something with the name of the players like those three point signs they gave out for the men. Maybe since we are drawing good crowds, this will be fixed for next year.
    They hand out and place on the table at the front entrance 3 point signs at every game.  Roster is on the back.  Someone has handed me one every Women's game I have attended.

Offline chris88

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2024, 10:52:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The player that came back from injury was Mahogany Mathews. Our tallest player. She had a couple of shots roll out but she was a factor on post defense and contributed with rebounds, steal, assist. I'm guessing she has another year since she was not talked about for Friday's SR day. They only mentioned Beeman, Campbell, and Lawhorne.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: luckytoes99

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2024, 11:42:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They hand out and place on the table at the front entrance 3 point signs at every game.  Roster is on the back.  Someone has handed me one every Women's game I have attended.
    Thanks for the information. Nobody has handed me one in the couple of games I've been to. I will look for one Friday night.

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2024, 11:43:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The player that came back from injury was Mahogany Mathews. Our tallest player. She had a couple of shots roll out but she was a factor on post defense and contributed with rebounds, steal, assist. I'm guessing she has another year since she was not talked about for Friday's SR day. They only mentioned Beeman, Campbell, and Lawhorne.
    Couldn't remember her name.

Offline overherd1

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2024, 11:55:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great accomplishment for Coach Caldwell and her players.  Hopefully they can win the conference tournament and make a little noise in the ncaa tournament.  Maybe a real possibility, they play a style that is difficult to adapt to and the players have bought in and play as a team. 

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, chris88, MicDrass1

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2024, 02:23:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Post-Game Comments From Coach Caldwell. 

It would be nice if we could hear the questions. Why hasn?t anyone at Marshall figured this out yet?
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2024, 02:29:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2024, 02:29:40 PM »

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2024, 04:31:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Was Karen Pelphrey on that 86-87 team? I remember her and another girl whose last name was Wiggins.

Offline chris88

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2024, 04:37:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Up to # 84 in NET ratings. Others have mentioned RPI but if you look at the NCAA criteria for selecting and seeding teams only the NET is listed as a tool they definitely use although they say that other ratings systems are available for them. As far as the WNIT goes, MU looks to be in pretty good shape if something were to happen in the SBC tourney. Currently about 23 teams ahead of MU in NET ratings that likely won't make NCAA field. They take 32 teams. There is also a third tourney this year.

Big day tomorrow:

Softball vs Purdue and Butler
    Baseball vs Manhattan
    WBB vs Georgia Southern
    MBB @ Georgia State

Saturday
    More baseball and softball plus Ohio State comes to town for spring soccer.

Also in case you missed it, track and field finished 4th at the SBC meet.  The highest finish since they added it back as a sport if I read it right. Tennis and Golf have also had productive starts.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93, DC01HERD, Collis P, luckytoes99

Offline mu79grad

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2024, 05:36:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Up to # 84 in NET ratings. Others have mentioned RPI but if you look at the NCAA criteria for selecting and seeding teams only the NET is listed as a tool they definitely use although they say that other ratings systems are available for them. As far as the WNIT goes, MU looks to be in pretty good shape if something were to happen in the SBC tourney. Currently about 23 teams ahead of MU in NET ratings that likely won't make NCAA field. They take 32 teams. There is also a third tourney this year.

Big day tomorrow:

Softball vs Purdue and Butler
    Baseball vs Manhattan
    WBB vs Georgia Southern
    MBB @ Georgia State

Saturday
    More baseball and softball plus Ohio State comes to town for spring soccer.

Also in case you missed it, track and field finished 4th at the SBC meet.  The highest finish since they added it back as a sport if I read it right. Tennis and Golf have also had productive starts.

Here is information on one of the other tournaments that Chris88 mentioned, which as he said will be new this year and an ESPN entity:  From NCAA.org/news:  The NCAA announced the tournament format, broadcast partners, selection committee and criteria for the newly created 32-team Women's Basketball Invitation Tournament, which will be played for the first time in 2024.

WBIT games in 2024 will be played March 21 (first round), March 24 (second round) and March 28 (quarterfinals), with the highest-seeded teams hosting games. WBIT semifinal and final games will be played April 1 and 3 at Butler's historic Hinkle Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.

The WBIT and men's National Invitation Tournament semifinals and finals will both be decided at Hinkle Fieldhouse over the same week in 2024, with the men's NIT semifinals and finals played April 2 and 4. Sometimes referred to as "Indiana's basketball cathedral," Hinkle Fieldhouse will be the championship location for 2024 only, with future host sites beyond this season to be announced. 

ESPN will serve as the television broadcast partner for all WBIT games, with ESPN+ being the exclusive home for all preliminary-round games. The semifinals will air on ESPNU at 2:30 p.m. and 5 p.m. Eastern time April 1, and the championship will air on ESPN2 at 7 p.m. April 3.

The following users thanked this post: Collis P, chris88, miltonherdfan, luckytoes99

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2024, 05:36:47 PM »