Author Topic: to all you Dan bashers ...  (Read 1656 times)

Online WindMillersDad

to all you Dan bashers ...
« on: February 26, 2024, 03:51:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: horsrman

HerdFans.com

to all you Dan bashers ...
    « on: February 26, 2024, 03:51:08 AM »

Offline mualum

Re: to all you Dan bashers ...
    « Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 04:11:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • But while you're letting the Landon article sink in, also let the comment below it sink in.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 06:15:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And what if Danny had of not left 5-6 bodies sitting at the end of the bench and recruited more? What if Kandon wasn't up Danny's butt so far that he would actually tell the truth? And what if Danny would have listened to the staff that was begging him to get another PG before Andy ever mentioned leaving. But instead Danny said nah he isn't going anywhere. Anyone that believes this garbage Landon is trying to push is out of their mind. Excuses excuses excuses!!!! Recruit Danny and stop having you side kick run with excuses!!!!

And Chuck said he went to Mississippi St where they play defense and it wasn't a fit for Andrew lol. Then he says if Taylor would have stayed with his suffocating defense lol. Landon just makes up stuff as he goes. And poor Dan, he is the only guy in the country that lost a player to the portal. This one article has completely turned me against Landon. He knows that Dan always wastes 5-6 scholarships every year and then blames the season on Andy.
    « Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 06:24:59 AM by herdorbust2 »

The following users thanked this post: forphase1

Online MUfan08

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2024, 06:29:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Too bad Dan's been using this as a talking point this whole season and he's already imbedded into his cult following.

Problem is, Andy wasn't even supposed to be playing this season, but thanks to Covid, everyone got an additional year to play.

But let's look at the heart of the matter, and if Danette's are going to bring up losing Andy and Micah, you also have to throw in the terrible roster management and development of this team.
    We have 5 players (two seasons in a row) that are upperclassmen that bring absolutely nothing to this team on the court.
    Maybe we could have brought in a couple more guards that would have helped out if we moved away from the practice 5 team.

Also, Danny had all summer to bring in a PG (Portal, JUCO) but HE decided to try a slow footed Curfman at PG (just let him catch and shoot, he is a shooter, not a PG or combo guard) and then places Conner (who apparently him being at PG has always been the plan) even though Jacob is a natural SF and he is playing out of position and is slow and not as athletic going against other team's PGs. Jacob also does not have the personality of a guard either.

While Nutter is as tough as a two dollar steak, he isn't ready to lead the team (not sure he is more than a backup to begin with; while Meyer would have had growing pains, he would be further along as a PG than anyone on this team and definitely more talented).

Voyles is a good SG, but he isn't a combo guard that can play point either (he can only go to his left, how the coaches didn't catch that; and not bring in an experienced combo guard like Todd who could also play the point).

It all starts and ends with Dan not having a plan when things changed and his piss poor roster management, development and recruiting. But it is easier for Dan to blame players (current and now former) than to actually take ownership of this mess of a team we are seeing.

Let that sink in CamMillersDad
    « Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 08:15:27 AM by MUfan08 »

Offline herd2win

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 06:44:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Blah blah blah blah blah....very predictable future for MU.  Spears will have a super soft out of conference schedule so Dan can get to 20 wins and then coach out his contract the following year.

I am going to turn my focus to teams with real coaches and watch soccer and women's basketball and hope Huff brought in the horses to compete.

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08

Offline Big City

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2024, 07:37:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • All I see and hear are excuses. It's stale.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herd1990, forphase1, MUfan08, svherd, ru4mu2, ed swain, herdorbust2, Nicks Pizza

Online svherd

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2024, 07:47:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ..... just let this sink in for a moment !

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/chuck-landon-its-about-whos-not-playing/article_ba034c4b-042f-5cad-af84-e03f9ef974ab.html

If my aunt had a shlong, she would be my uncle. Excuses. Dan knew this could happen and the staff did as well. Accept it for what it is. Has Chuck always had a raging hard on for Dan?

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, ru4mu2

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #8 on: February 26, 2024, 07:49:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/chuck-landon-its-about-whos-not-playing/article_ba034c4b-042f-5cad-af84-e03f9ef974ab.html

DD is his own worst enemy. A stubborn arse who had to do it his way even if it hurt Marshall and his career.

In the end, he could have built a program, but refused to get out of his own way.

It's over

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, parshall2marshall, svherd, ru4mu2, Buffalo Bop, ed swain, Herdalum94, herdorbust2

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #9 on: February 26, 2024, 08:06:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nice, an opinion piece by a D'Antoni apologist. It's really no more complex than in nearly 2 decades for BBall and Football the Marshall decision makers bring in lack luster unproven coaches that no one else has any interest in. As a result we get subpar results. Ask yourselves, of all these Head Coaches, how many developed deep benches or solid back up QBs. Sure we got the occasional decent season, but a broken clock is right twice a day. What we have had and continue to have is mediocre programs and leadership that sound more like double speaking politicians.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, NewfieHerdFan, svherd, herdfifteen

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2024, 08:15:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have a question. I didn't read the article because I am not going to pay to read someone who is an excuse maker for Dan's performance. But since it seems to be "its about whos not playing"....here is my question:

Kim Caldwell comes in year one with a team predicted to finish 9th in the league. Six games into the season, her top scorer and one of the top scorers (at the time) in the country opts not to play. Midway thru the season, she loses her top rebounder (at the time) and 5th leading scorer to injury. How did this coach lead this team when adversity settled in??? She went to depth she had built thru the portal. She kept plugging away and believing in her players. She kept coaching. She didn't make excuses. She did what a championship coach is supposed to do. Despite losing those players, she has won 21 games overall and is one home win from winning the regular season championship despite playing 2/3 of her D1 opponents on the road.

I have no sympathy for Dan. Over the past three years, he hasn't built depth. Even worse, he has allowed older players that don't contribute to the team to stick around on the roster on full scholarship. When you have to give speeches about 5th year seniors and the best thing you say about them is that 'they beat the drum for the soccer team every game', then you have a major problem.

What Landon and the newspaper ought to be doing is devoting page after page to the women's team as this is one of the biggest weeks for this team in program history. Like I said, I am not going to pay to read excuses for a guy that made his own bed. You want me to pay to read??? Then write about the winner we have in town.
    « Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 08:19:24 AM by jdonaccbus »

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2024, 08:28:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What if Dantoni recruited some more depth? Even if AT stayed is Marshall that much better? No inside defensive threat like last year and no athletic wing scoring (Kinsey) this team would have won more games with AT, but let's not act like they would have won the conference.

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2024, 08:28:07 AM »

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2024, 08:48:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My response to that article is...
    Goran
    Marko
    Toussaint
    Braun
    McKey

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, svherd, miltonherdfan, herdfan129, herdorbust2

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2024, 08:57:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Taylor isn't even that good of a player.  Wouldn't have made us much better.

He benefitted from being able to shoot a ton and having Kinsey on his team. 

Terrible article from a washed up person about a washed up coach.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, ed swain, NKY_HerdFan, scope58

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2024, 09:02:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I finally look at the article on line. Wow, I love the ending lines in the article.

"So, if anyone thinks Marshall?s record is because of D?Antoni, think again.
    This isn?t about who is coaching. Instead, it?s about who isn?t playing."

It is about coaching and roster management. Dan is responsible for recruiting players, but he is stuck in the 1960's with the Iron Man philosophy. What if Taylor stayed and got injured, you would have the same problem.

It is very telling that the excuse makers are out trying to defend Dan. Dan is feeling the heat from the fan base and he can't take it. I hate to tell Dan that it comes with the job. MU is paying him in excess of $600,000 so put on your big boy pants.

Also, Dan saying you are not a Marshall fan if you are complaining about his poor performance is insulting. It starts and ends with Dan, he needs to take responsibility for his record. My diploma from Marshall doesn't have Dan's name on it so I will voice my opinions and withhold donations no matter whether it hurts Dan's feelings.

#FIRE DAN
    « Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 09:05:41 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline chris88

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2024, 09:17:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We have exactly one win on road vs team over .500 (Ohio 15-12). You know how many we had last year? Two (Duquesne and JMU).  24-8 included 13-1 vs Quad 4 teams so just 11-7 vs everyone else.

I think women's team has 6 or 7 wins on road vs team with winning record this year alone. Landon is just using a different route to blame players and not those responsible for bringing in/developing players.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUfan08, parshall2marshall, svherd, jdonaccbus, ed swain, Flat Tire 2, wlf, luckytoes99

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #16 on: February 26, 2024, 09:44:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nice, an opinion piece by a D'Antoni apologist. It's really no more complex than in nearly 2 decades for BBall and Football the Marshall decision makers bring in lack luster unproven coaches that no one else has any interest in. As a result we get subpar results. Ask yourselves, of all these Head Coaches, how many developed deep benches or solid back up QBs. Sure we got the occasional decent season, but a broken clock is right twice a day. What we have had and continue to have is mediocre programs and leadership that sound more like double speaking politicians.

We're making progress in minor sports but football and basketball are led by coaches who aren't good enough and need to go ASAP

Put Fluff and DD out

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2024, 09:48:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dan missed the boat on recruiting when he sent PG Jacob Meyer home early on a recruiting trip and instead signed Nutter, who still isn't ready to play D-1 basketball. Meyer also had a very similar background in Kentucky HS hoops as Taylor.

Bottom line: Dan didn't recruit well enough to replace the talent/points he had lost. And that's all on Dan.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, sardistim, MUfan08, ru4mu2, chris88, coalherd

Online MUfan08

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2024, 10:05:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dan missed the boat on recruiting when he sent PG Jacob Meyer home early on a recruiting trip and instead signed Nutter, who still isn't ready to play D-1 basketball. Meyer also had a very similar background in Kentucky HS hoops as Taylor.

Bottom line: Dan didn't recruit well enough to replace the talent/points he had lost. And that's all on Dan.

Amen, and players get hurt and leave, you have to have a replacement and bench to use in those situations.

Let's also not make Andy to be some saint when we got him (reason why he doesn't have much social media anymore) and ended up at Marshall (wasn't to be closer to home).

Would say comparing Meyer to Andy is very fair.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2024, 10:12:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • DD thinks he?s running a non-profit charity that helps non athletes get full ride athletic scholarships.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline MUonium

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2024, 10:21:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • we all know that we lost three very good players (historically speaking or in any context).  we also know that DD is stubborn and was not prepared for or was not capable of plugging holes in his roster in most years.

this is on DD.  period.  DD chose who to play and when to play them.  DD chose who to keep on roster and who not to keep on roster.  DD chose to adjust or not to adjust philosophy to roster or roster to philosophy.

this is NOT on Taylor or ANY of the three players he lost. 

for one example, Taylor's stats his final year.  these are FACTS, not ignorant opinions-

FG%  41.7
    3FG%  36.4
    PPG AVG  20.2
    3rd in Rebounds
    2nd in Assists
    1st in Steals
    1st in TOs

Offline chezdog30

• All American
    • Member Since 01/2011
    « Reply #21 on: February 26, 2024, 10:56:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I had a 6'3 PG that is playing in the OVC currently, averages over 10PPG, 5 assists, that would have come to MU in a heartbeat. Even better, would have taken him from the team up north. Avg 21ppg/9 assists/10 reboards for me in HS.

No interest. Would have been the face of the program as well, and a hometown favorite.

Not my call, but he's the one that got away.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2024, 10:56:52 AM »

Offline herd2win

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2024, 11:00:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

BTW most in here are not Dan bashers but are poor basketball bashers and care more about MU than living in the past supporting the Dan paid retirement tour.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, ru4mu2, ed swain, Rockin Herd Fan, coalherd, herdorbust2

Offline NewfieHerdFan

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2024, 12:05:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Article is drivel. Like some have posted, Dan is feeling the heat and is finding any excuse to take the blame off of himself. Sad his ego is so huge and will most likely ruin any good vibes he has with Marshall fans.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2024, 12:21:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Hiring Dan was not a good decision from the start and shows MU lack of interest in basketball. We hired in Dan, a moderately successful high school coach with only one appearance in a state championship game. He had no experience in recruiting and no recruiting contacts. His hiring of assistants has been bad overall and maybe that is because no up and coming assistant thinks Dan will help move them up the coaching ladder. (Even Huff has an assistants move up to better programs.)  He has not built a sustainable program.  Again you have to wonder about the thought process of hiring Dan.

Again, it either show complete disdain for the basketball program or utter incompetence by MU. MU has just wasted money on the basketball program. The wasting of money on Dan is what upsets me the most about the situation.
    « Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 12:26:35 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: coalherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2024, 12:21:28 PM »