Author Topic: NHR: Teams that haven't been to the "Dance" in awhile that are on the verge  (Read 218 times)

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Didn't realize that USF was ballin'.

https://wapo.st/42Nff4t

The following users thanked this post: MUonium, MicDrass1

HerdFans.com

Offline MUonium

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • some tidbits you might find a bit interesting

related to the argument for MU to target more DII players (or not) in general:
    Washington State- "Division II import Jaylen Wells, who dropped 27 points on Arizona on Thursday, averaged 22.1 points at Sonoma State last year and has fit in splendidly as a floor-stretching forward who shoots 45.9 percent from three-point range."

related to bringing in (or not) retread coaches:
    McNeese State- "Will Wade?s return to coaching has gone off without much difficulty, either during or since his season-opening 10-game suspension."

related to pace and depth philosophy (remind you of coach Caldwell and DD's best, perhaps minus the depth?):
    Samford- "Samford plays at a rapid pace and deploys plenty of depth, and it would be a menace to prepare for in the postseason ? perhaps even more for a round-of-32 game than a first-round contest."

remind you that a solid coach can bring consistency?:
    Toledo (1980)- "The Rockets (17-9, 11-2 Mid-American) have been in the mix for an NCAA berth repeatedly under Tod Kowalczyk, averaging 23.2 victories over the past six seasons."

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, MicDrass1

Offline MicDrass1

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A 20ppg d2 scorer would avg 20ppg or more in sun belt.  Top d3 guys as well

Offline coalherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • some tidbits you might find a bit interesting

related to the argument for MU to target more DII players (or not) in general:
    Washington State- "Division II import Jaylen Wells, who dropped 27 points on Arizona on Thursday, averaged 22.1 points at Sonoma State last year and has fit in splendidly as a floor-stretching forward who shoots 45.9 percent from three-point range."

related to bringing in (or not) retread coaches:
    McNeese State- "Will Wade?s return to coaching has gone off without much difficulty, either during or since his season-opening 10-game suspension."

related to pace and depth philosophy (remind you of coach Caldwell and DD's best, perhaps minus the depth?):
    Samford- "Samford plays at a rapid pace and deploys plenty of depth, and it would be a menace to prepare for in the postseason ? perhaps even more for a round-of-32 game than a first-round contest."

remind you that a solid coach can bring consistency?:
    Toledo (1980)- "The Rockets (17-9, 11-2 Mid-American) have been in the mix for an NCAA berth repeatedly under Tod Kowalczyk, averaging 23.2 victories over the past six seasons."

Regarding the Toledo Coach, you can say that Danny D. has also brought "consistency" to MU basketball:  From "Meh to Mediocrity"!!

Offline GoHerd35

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I looked at the transfer list into the Sun Belt, specifically for players from schools I didn't recognize that were probably D2/D3/CC/etc. averaging over 10ppg this season.

Taryn Todd   Northwest Florida State College   Arkansas State 12.8ppg
    Tre'von Spillers   Moberly   Appalachian State 13.2ppg
    Tayton Conerway Ranger JC Troy 11.4ppg
    Deuce Dean   Hampton   Georgia Southern 9.9ppg
    Isiah Gaiter   Assumption College   South Alabama 13.8ppg
    Freddy Hicks   Tarleton State   Arkansas State 10.2ppg
    Hosana Kitenge   Three Rivers   Louisiana 11.9ppg
    Maxwell Land   St. Francis (PA)   South Alabama 10.1ppg

Keyvon is averaging 13.9ppg for reference.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, MicDrass1

Offline MicDrass1

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Sun Belt is a high level D2 league. I would think the entire D2 Top 25 could win the SBC.  I hate saying it but Herd is a D2 team in talent and not even the best one.  Would get bounced in D2 playoffs.
    « Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 12:51:28 PM by MicDrass1 »

Offline wasbarryb

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I looked at the transfer list into the Sun Belt, specifically for players from schools I didn't recognize that were probably D2/D3/CC/etc. averaging over 10ppg this season.

Taryn Todd   Northwest Florida State College   Arkansas State 12.8ppg
    Tre'von Spillers   Moberly   Appalachian State 13.2ppg
    Tayton Conerway Ranger JC Troy 11.4ppg
    Deuce Dean   Hampton   Georgia Southern 9.9ppg
    Isiah Gaiter   Assumption College   South Alabama 13.8ppg
    Freddy Hicks   Tarleton State   Arkansas State 10.2ppg
    Hosana Kitenge   Three Rivers   Louisiana 11.9ppg
    Maxwell Land   St. Francis (PA)   South Alabama 10.1ppg

Keyvon is averaging 13.9ppg for reference.

St Francis is a D-1 school.  I don't know anything the others on the list.

HerdFans.com