Author Topic: I think there is  (Read 1914 times)

Offline wasbarryb

Re: I think there is
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2024, 09:55:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • See, i don't get this.  If you're going to lose a preponderance of your games anyway, then bring teams that will at least be entertaining to watch.  And go to venues that are regional but fresh for the fans.  If we can't give the fans good wins, then at least give them good teams to see.  Maybe pull off a couple games people can carry with them a few years.  People don't remember beating Radford and Queens, but they sure remember losing to them.  Don't play teams that it hurts to lose to.  Play teams where a win is unexpected but still a possibility.  Means something when you win and doesn't matter when you lose.

The problem is Dan started out following the philosophy you've espoused, then he lost all those games.  People forget playing the really good teams when you lose to them all the time, witness Virginia as just one example/ 

HerdFans.com

« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2024, 09:55:24 PM »

Offline herdfan93

« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2024, 11:10:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Since DD doesn't care if they win or lose then what's the problem with playing 10 or 12 money games every season? 

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, chris88

Offline wlf

« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2024, 08:31:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • These kids played their guts out tonight and I expect pretty much all year.  You just can't do what you can't do and trying to just makes it worse.
       The reason  we get players here is lack of competition for them, and there's a reason for that. It's 1 in thousands to find a Kinsey or Handlogden, too much information out there for them to fall through the cracks .

Kids also are pretty much who they are coming out of HS, everything is specialized and they've concentrated mainly on one sport since they were 5 years old. Developing a player in college is a fools game.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, miltonherdfan

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2024, 01:17:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you are advocating for a change (which I know you are), then the attendance/donations/money angle is not a winning argument.  All are near all-time program highs.  There is no chance paid attendance falls from 4.5k to less than 3k.  Make all the fair performance-based augments you want about D'Antoni, but there is absolutely no indication that "money" support has or is leaving him.

Want a fact based reason to fire Dan, here are the current college basketball ranking. This is all on Dan and no excuses about players leaving. Roster management is Dan's responsibility. We are in the bottom half of college basketball rankings headed to the bottom third of college team rankings.
    http://realtimerpi.com/college_Men_basketball_rpi_Full.html
    https://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2024/rpi-live
    https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

He has never won an outright championship and his best rankings are a tied for 2nd place and 3rd place (twice). The rest of his seasons he finished either from 4th to 11th place. He does the have the one year he won the tournament, but he has had 10 seasons with overall mediocre success.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_D'Antoni

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Online jdonaccbus

« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2024, 01:23:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The reason  we get players here is lack of competition for them, and there's a reason for that.

I want players that aren't afraid of competition. We have a roster full of guys content to be on scholarship and rarely contribute on the floor. Is that what you and Dan are advocating? Are you advocating, along with Dan, that we continue with the current recruiting philosophy?

The women's team brought in a D2 1st team all american, she brought several portal players, etc. She brought in depth. It appears one player didn't like it and left the program. Yet when she left, the women's team went on an incredible run and is in contention for the Sun Belt championship and in all honesty, will win it this week.

I refuse to swallow this philosophy of blowing off bad & lazy recruiting to this theory of "well if we bring in good players for depth purposes, no one will want to stay". We need better players overall. The so-called studs that hit all these shots in practice against our depth can transfer it over to the games because the competition then steps up.

The following users thanked this post: chris88, herdorbust2

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2024, 02:19:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He has never won an outright championship and his best rankings are a tied for 2nd place and 3rd place (twice). The rest of his seasons he finished either from 4th to 11th place. He does the have the one year he won the tournament, but he has had 10 seasons with overall mediocre success.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_D'Antoni

you're giving him too much credit, FT2.  1 of those 3rds was in the DIVISION, not CUSA as a whole.  the tie for 2nd last year we didn't have the tie-breaker (we were not the #2 seed in the tournament).

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2024, 03:14:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We don?t have the talent to win.  It?s not there. 

The following users thanked this post: elginherd

Online elginherd

« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2024, 04:07:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We don?t have the talent to win.  It?s not there.

Yep.
    Painfully obvious.
    Painful to try to watch.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: MicDrass1

Offline MUther

« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2024, 09:00:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The problem is Dan started out following the philosophy you've espoused, then he lost all those games.  People forget playing the really good teams when you lose to them all the time, witness Virginia as just one example/

I don't need to remember playing good teams and losing to them.  It's at least entertaining in the moment.  Right now we're a toss up against bad teams that aren't even entertaining to beat.  I don't recall Dan ever playing a lot of good teams.  You can also recruit better off playing better teams for the same reason.  Good players want to test themselves vs good teams.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2024, 02:03:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The people that continually get away with putting words into people's mouths are beyond tiresome at this point. 

Poster A: makes a preposterous statement and claims it as fact.
    Poster B: proves Poster A's statement is incorrect and no more. Makes no statement about state of team/program.
    Poster A: "so you support mediocrity and Dan blah blah blah."

The diatribe and dialogue is old. You can't have a reasonable discussion without that being thrown in at some point. I'm tired of some posters being allowed to do this literally multiple times in every thread. It's garbage. Some of you sound like you're trying to assemble a lynchmob in an old western. People can agree with your sentiment without the hateful diatribe.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, elginherd

Online elginherd

« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2024, 02:44:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The people that continually get away with putting words into people's mouths are beyond tiresome at this point. 

Poster A: makes a preposterous statement and claims it as fact.
    Poster B: proves Poster A's statement is incorrect and no more. Makes no statement about state of team/program.
    Poster A: "so you support mediocrity and Dan blah blah blah."

The diatribe and dialogue is old. You can't have a reasonable discussion without that being thrown in at some point. I'm tired of some posters being allowed to do this literally multiple times in every thread. It's garbage. Some of you sound like you're trying to assemble a lynchmob in an old western. People can agree with your sentiment without the hateful diatribe.
    Amen.
    Well said.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2024, 02:44:14 PM »