Author Topic: I think there is  (Read 1914 times)

Offline bighat

Re: I think there is
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2024, 01:36:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am keeping mine and know a lot of people in Mason County keeping theirs, so what is your point.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2024, 01:36:05 PM »

Online elginherd

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2024, 01:40:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It would be interesting to see how many corporate season tickets and also discount tickets sold to the Seat Geek.   You need corporate sponsors but a lot of those tickets go unused many times.

And since those are the seats closest to the court and a lot of them on the bench opposite the main TV camera, it both diminishes the atmosphere and gives a misleading impression of how people are actually there.
    Again, not defending DD, just stating what should be obvious.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline herd2win

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2024, 02:27:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am keeping mine and know a lot of people in Mason County keeping theirs, so what is your point.

Do you keep out of friendship of Dan or do you think we are a well coached competitive good team?  I can respect loyalty to a friend but just curious? 

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline wlf

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2024, 02:38:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Many people just won't give up the seats, regardless of who's coaching. Some still come, but others haven't. I don't need the numbers, when I can look at the empty seats.
      Today is supposedly near or sellout, lI'm curious to the number of empty seats. They'll not all be corporate owned either.

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2024, 02:40:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Do you keep out of friendship of Dan or do you think we are a well coached competitive good team?  I can respect loyalty to a friend but just curious?

He's one of the greenest of green glasses homers.  Was one of the last and loudest of Doc suckers during the last years of that long nightmare.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline bighat

« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2024, 03:19:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Look what the Doc move got us.

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2024, 03:26:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Still so far up Doc's butt, he probably hasn't leaned the score of our last game against ND.

Huff isn't the best coach for us, but he's still better than Doc.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, herdorbust2

Offline bighat

« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2024, 03:27:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am not a friend of Dan's but quit trying to take away the one thing a small school like Marshall is known for "attendance".  You would hurt Marshall just to prove yourself right.
    Making us look bad does not make us look good.  I think the coach had a bad year with NIL and losing three starters.  I still enjoy going to the games and will continue to go until I die.
    I love Marshall and Marshall sports.  I was a fan when football had the longest losing streak in the country.  I will do nothing to down grade Marshall.  If Dan is gone next year or in two years I will still root for Marshall because I am a true fan not a rainy day fan who would hurt the university just to make a point.

Online gochneaur645

« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2024, 03:40:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Huff hasn't lived up to expectations, but the results aren't really different than the last 5 years of Doc. And Huff is in a much tougher conference.

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, herdorbust2

Offline MarshallSteve

« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2024, 03:40:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Using this as an argument to get rid of Dan is worse judgement on your part that Dan's roster and game management decisions.  I can make real performance-based arguments on why it's time to move on from D'Antoni.  In fact, I do think it's time to move on from D'Antoni.  But if you're trying to make it about this particular issue (attendance and support), then you must not have any real arguments to move on from him because Dan is clearly not in position to get fired or asked to move on because of "disappearing support".
    Agree. Spot on

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: elginherd

Online MUfan08

« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2024, 03:56:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think the coach had a bad year with NIL and losing three starters.

I mean if you are going to continue to use this excuse please start including Dan roster management and wasting 5 scholarship players (two years in a row) that do absolutely nothing for the team (but two of them beat the crap out of a drum for soccer though).

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, DC01HERD, Flat Tire 2, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2024, 05:36:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Roster construction is comparable to 10U ball. No coach in D1 is keeping 7+ players that can't play at this level. It's amazing he has done that considering Dan got burnt by Peneva. You can keep 2 or 3 guys that can't play but not a whole roster.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, wlf, coalherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2024, 05:36:23 PM »

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2024, 05:59:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I mean if you are going to continue to use this excuse please start including Dan roster management and wasting 5 scholarship players (two years in a row) that do absolutely nothing for the team (but two of them beat the crap out of a drum for soccer though).
    [/b]

Dan actually mentioned this when mentioning the contributions of the Seniors on the radio pregame.  Christ, if beating a drum is his biggest contribution, give him a band scholarship or dump him.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUfan08, coalherd, herdorbust2

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #63 on: February 24, 2024, 07:11:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • [/b]

Dan actually mentioned this when mentioning the contributions of the Seniors on the radio pregame.  Christ, if beating a drum is his biggest contribution, give him a band scholarship or dump him.

JFC what is this church league DD?

You're making $750K to win pal

Online MUfan08

« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2024, 07:24:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • JFC what is this church league DD?

You're making $750K to win pal

Agree, but technically he's getting compensated a little over $600,000.

https://westvirginia.opengov.com/transparency#/42541/query=0EF6FBDC8DC73B78C1465D9C126C3A28&embed=n

Offline coalherd

« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2024, 07:25:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yep. Huck years, averaged over 8K. They didn't have to tarp it then.

And speaking of "tarps", I was at the opening game of the HC versus Army and despite living away from the Huntington area have been attending HERD games off and on through the years ever since.  That includes season tix the last few years ever since.  And I don't EVER recall reading or hearing about any serious problem regarding dangers, hazards etc., with the upper-level seats, stairs to and from the same during that period of time.  No news about a rash of HERD gme fans/attendees falling, being injured, etc., virtually at EVERY home guy!

To me, this is nothing but a "face-saving" ploy!  As it is obvious that interest in the program under our aging, stubborn and in-over-his-head Clown of a head coach!  Interest in MU Basketball is at a very low point away from the Huntington area, particularly been in Southern and SE WV, an area particularly where there have traditionally a good-sized number of MU fans, alums and students.  Media coverage, press, etc., of MU basketball in the Beckley, Bluefield, Princeton areas, has waned greatly during the D'Antoni era and is virtually nil!  SO SAD!  The bumbling, inept LEGACY of Danny D.'s "Hillbilly Ball"!!

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #66 on: February 24, 2024, 07:47:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree, but technically he's getting compensated a little over $600,000.

https://westvirginia.opengov.com/transparency#/42541/query=0EF6FBDC8DC73B78C1465D9C126C3A28&embed=n

Haha ok

$677K

But that's his base. What's he making total compensation?
    « Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 08:24:46 PM by Garbanjo »

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2024, 08:02:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, Ovaltine Jenkins, miltonherdfan

Offline coalherd

« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2024, 08:23:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • nm
    « Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 09:14:01 PM by coalherd »

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2024, 08:24:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And speaking of "tarps", I was at the opening game of the HC versus Army and despite living away from the Huntington area have been attending HERD games off and on through the years ever since.  That includes season tix the last few years ever since.  And I don't EVER recall reading or hearing about any serious problem regarding dangers, hazards etc., with the upper-level seats, stairs to and from the same during that period of time.  No news about a rash of HERD gme fans/attendees falling, being injured, etc., virtually at EVERY home guy!

To me, this is nothing but a "face-saving" ploy!  As it is obvious that interest in the program under our aging, stubborn and in-over-his-head Clown of a head coach!  Interest in MU Basketball is at a very low point away from the Huntington area, particularly been in Southern and SE WV, an area particularly where there have traditionally a good-sized number of MU fans, alums and students.  Media coverage, press, etc., of MU basketball in the Beckley, Bluefield, Princeton areas, has waned greatly during the D'Antoni era and is virtually nil!  SO SAD!  The bumbling, inept LEGACY of Danny D.'s "Hillbilly Ball"!!

It's all about the alcohol. Once they started selling alcohol, they were scared some irresponsible drunk would fall down & get hurt & blame the university for not having a rail to hold onto coming down aisle. Obviously, the alcohol sales is a new thing, hence there haven't ever been any cases of drunks getting hurt falling down the steps.

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt

Offline coalherd

« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2024, 08:29:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am not a friend of Dan's but quit trying to take away the one thing a small school like Marshall is known for "attendance".  You would hurt Marshall just to prove yourself right.
    Making us look bad does not make us look good.  I think the coach had a bad year with NIL and losing three starters.  I still enjoy going to the games and will continue to go until I die.
    I love Marshall and Marshall sports.  I was a fan when football had the longest losing streak in the country.  I will do nothing to down grade Marshall.  If Dan is gone next year or in two years I will still root for Marshall because I am a true fan not a rainy day fan who would hurt the university just to make a point.

Whew!  Glad you said that you said that you "enjoy going to the games . . ." and not that you "enjoy GOOD basketball"!!  Was really worried about the state of your EYESIGHT" for a second there!!!

Offline coalherd

« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2024, 08:37:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• It's all about the alcohol. Once they started selling alcohol, they were scared some irresponsible drunk would fall down & get hurt & blame the university for not having a rail to hold onto coming down aisle. Obviously, the alcohol sales is a new thing, hence there haven't ever been any cases of drunks getting hurt falling down the

Then what plans, if any, do SMITH, SPEARS, et. al, have in place when the rash of lawsuits start rolling in from long time HERD basketball game attendees who claim that they became addicted to alcohol consumed at the HC in order to stomach/tolerate the pathetic exhibits of "Hillbilly Ball" put on by D'Antoni's HERD squads?

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb, Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2024, 08:37:36 PM »

Offline MUther

« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2024, 09:28:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That said, I am betting on Dan not to play a power team and pad his schedule with "Little Sisters of the Poor" type teams next year.

See, i don't get this.  If you're going to lose a preponderance of your games anyway, then bring teams that will at least be entertaining to watch.  And go to venues that are regional but fresh for the fans.  If we can't give the fans good wins, then at least give them good teams to see.  Maybe pull off a couple games people can carry with them a few years.  People don't remember beating Radford and Queens, but they sure remember losing to them.  Don't play teams that it hurts to lose to.  Play teams where a win is unexpected but still a possibility.  Means something when you win and doesn't matter when you lose.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2024, 09:43:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I remember the time when Louisville was a run of the mill lower tier program. They hired a UCLA assistant who was thought to be the heir apparent to John Wooden, Denny Crum. He came in adapted a "play anybody, anywhere" philosophy and gradually attracted premier recruits and begin to knock off higher ranked opponents and made the Cardinals the program they are now.

If you want to be a player you have to get in the game. Playing schools like Bluefield University won't get it done. Dan has outlived his shelf life by at least 4 years and I for one, never thought he should have been hired. He's Marshall's answer to Gerry Faust, a former high school coach in over his head. (Google)

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2024, 09:48:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really don't care any more. If fans wanna be stupid and support mediocrity, that's cool. I won't be attending any games soon. I'll support mens and womens soccer, softball, baseball and football with my money.

Football is about as mediocre as one can get
    In fact if you look up the word mediocrity ya see Herd Football

HerdFans.com

« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2024, 09:48:32 PM »