Author Topic: I think there is  (Read 1912 times)

Offline herd2win

I think there is
« on: February 23, 2024, 09:25:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A chance the Women's team has bigger crowds next year than the Men's if the ladies win the conference and the Men's team bows out again in the first round.

I could see 2500-3000 for each team.

The following users thanked this post: Collis P

HerdFans.com

I think there is
    « on: February 23, 2024, 09:25:37 AM »

Offline miltonherdfan

Re: I think there is
    « Reply #1 on: February 23, 2024, 09:40:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • MBB has a long way to go to fall down to that #.  i just checked out tix on HZ for tom's game...there's definitely less than 200 tix available, which means another 5k+ in paid attendance.  there's a lotta people that just can't get enough of DD!

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2024, 09:46:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • MBB has a long way to go to fall down to that #.  i just checked out tix on HZ for tom's game...there's definitely less than 200 tix available, which means another 5k+ in paid attendance.  there's a lotta people that just can't get enough of DD!

You have to understand that is tickets already sold. There aren't that many butts in the seats. And once this year is over, will those people continue buying season tickets?

The following users thanked this post: svherd, wasbarryb, Flat Tire 2, wlf, luckytoes99

Offline CoachMaclid

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2024, 09:51:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you are advocating for a change (which I know you are), then the attendance/donations/money angle is not a winning argument.  All are near all-time program highs.  There is no chance paid attendance falls from 4.5k to less than 3k.  Make all the fair performance-based augments you want about D'Antoni, but there is absolutely no indication that "money" support has or is leaving him.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, BigJimslade

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2024, 09:53:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you are advocating for a change (which I know you are), then the attendance/donations/money angle is not a winning argument.  All are near all-time program highs.  There is no chance paid attendance falls from 4.5k to less than 3k.  Make all the fair performance-based augments you want about D'Antoni, but there is absolutely no indication that "money" support has or is leaving him.

Oh I think it is. I've watched games on TV and the actually butts don't match the announced attendance. I know where I sat, at times it looks like a ghost town compared to last year. And wait until next year.

The following users thanked this post: ed swain, coalherd, BigJimslade

Offline svherd

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2024, 10:04:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really don't care any more. If fans wanna be stupid and support mediocrity, that's cool. I won't be attending any games soon. I'll support mens and womens soccer, softball, baseball and football with my money.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, ed swain, Flat Tire 2, herdfan129

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2024, 10:11:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I don't disagree with much of this, but men's basketball is not even close to an all-time high in attendance. 

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, svherd, Flat Tire 2, coalherd, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline svherd

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2024, 10:16:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't disagree with much of this, but men's basketball is not even close to an all-time high in attendance.
    Yep. Huck years, averaged over 8K. They didn't have to tarp it then.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, HerdnBucks, Flat Tire 2, wlf, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline CoachMaclid

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2024, 10:19:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't disagree with much of this, but men's basketball is not even close to an all-time high in attendance.

We have been at 35-year attendance highs during the D'Antoni era.  We ARE at highs for total program revenue.  The general sentiment stands that trying to speculate attendance is a DOA non-starter of an argument.
    « Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 10:21:20 AM by CoachMaclid »

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2024, 10:25:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Oh I think it is. I've watched games on TV and the actually butts don't match the announced attendance. I know where I sat, at times it looks like a ghost town compared to last year. And wait until next year.

You seem to be correct if you watch some of the "highlights" on the ESPN link from the last game. It is only one camera angle, but you can see a lot of empty seats. There is one quick view of the behind basket seats and that area is really empty. Seats "sold" is not translating into large numbers of fans attending the games.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/scoreboard/_/date/20240221/group/27

I have to talked to several of my friends who live in Huntington about the situation. Several have dropped season tickets and others that have season tickets just don't attend the games anymore.
    « Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 10:30:17 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline ru4mu2

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2024, 10:27:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We have been at 35-year attendance highs during the D'Antoni era.  We ARE at highs for total program revenue.  The general sentiment stands that trying to speculate attendance is a DOA non-starter of an argument.
    That's awesome.  Where is this information available?

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2024, 10:35:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You seem to be correct if you watch some of the "highlights" on the ESPN link from the last game. It is only one camera angle, but you can see a lot of empty seats. There is one quick view of the behind basket seats and that area is really empty. Seats "sold" is not translating into large numbers of fans attending the games.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/scoreboard/_/date/20240221/group/27

I have to talked to several of my friends who live in Huntington about the situation. Several have dropped season tickets and others that have season tickets just don't attend the games anymore.

I know quite a few the dropped them this year like I did. I sat behind the basket and can't believe how empty it is at times. It was always about 90 % full.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2024, 10:35:01 AM »

Offline herd2win

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2024, 10:48:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bogus comments on this thread.  We are not at San attendance high for over the last 35 years.  Hucks teams averaged way more and so do Herrion, Donnie Jones and Donavan.  If you want to say percent to capacity maybe as half the arena is tarped.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, whf, wlf, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2024, 10:51:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The problem of saying that "well, we are at a 35-year high for attendance" doesn't paint the entire picture.

I have season tickets. The Marshall crowd right now is a much older crowd compared to almost any college fan base in America. I have nothing against our older fans either. They have stuck with Marshall basketball thru thick and thin.

But we do very little to build the fan base for the future. I thought tarping off those seats was one of the worst ideas I have ever seen to reject families of four or five or six that have tight budgets. That gave a chance for people, without a lot of money at a younger age, to come to more games and bring children to games. I feel it is and was very short-sighted to tarp off affordable seats. We need to start hooking the younger generation into Marshall basketball.

I sat in GA seats with my mom and dad in the 70s. We didn't have a lot of money. Those seats gave us a chance to go to games as a family. Huckaby's teams got me hooked ever since. But what does our athletic program do to attract younger fans??? We have a 76-year old coach who complains way too much. We took away affordable seats (and don't give me the handrail crap). We do little in the way of ticket promotions. The excitement level really seems to be fading, and when that happens, the younger ones are the first to go.

Marshall needs to look strongly at how they can start generating interest from all ages and grow the fan base for the future. That is where we really don't have much vision. It seems more of our students are coming to women's games than they are the men. That might tell you something.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, luckytoes99, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2024, 10:53:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You have to understand that is tickets already sold. There aren't that many butts in the seats. And once this year is over, will those people continue buying season tickets?

I think more important than will people continue buying season tickets, is the question will they switch which program  they buy season tickets for.  Face it there has been a significant switch in which program people are choosing to watch.  People who previously chose to watch men's BB have switched to choosing to watch women's BB.  If season ticket holders make the same change the attendance statics difference could change dramatically over the course of one or two seasons.

Herd fans have shown they will follow and reward a winner, witness the rapid increase in men's soccer.   If DD's folds up in the next couple of weeks, like it did last year, and Cauldwell wins the season championship, wins the tournament, and pulls off a couple of March madness wins, you'd see fans show why we are called the Thundering Herd.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, luckytoes99, herdorbust2

Offline CoachMaclid

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2024, 11:25:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bogus comments on this thread.  We are not at San attendance high for over the last 35 years.  Hucks teams averaged way more and so do Herrion, Donnie Jones and Donavan.  If you want to say percent to capacity maybe as half the arena is tarped.

Huck's teams were more than 35 years ago. 

The average attendance during the Donnie Jones era was 5,053 (267,799 in 53 home games).  The average attendance during D'Antoni's era through last season accumulated (not including the COVID season) is 5,305 (705,688 total in 133 games).  While Donovan's first season was higher than D'Antoni's average in only 12 games, his second season (5,500 in 12 games) was practically level with D'Antoni's average.

Again, use performance-based arguments all you want.  Financials including gate only tell the admin to keep D'Antoni.  People here were saying our attendance was going to crumble this year with the way last season ended and the loss of Kinsey, Taylor, and Handlogten.  With this season home finale remaining likely being a sell-out, our final attendance numbers this year are going to be end up being virtually even with last year's average attendance, perhaps might end up slightly better by the narrowest of margins!
    « Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 11:44:13 AM by CoachMaclid »

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline CoachMaclid

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2024, 11:54:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have season tickets. The Marshall crowd right now is a much older crowd compared to almost any college fan base in America. I have nothing against our older fans either. They have stuck with Marshall basketball thru thick and thin.

But we do very little to build the fan base for the future. I thought tarping off those seats was one of the worst ideas I have ever seen to reject families of four or five or six that have tight budgets. That gave a chance for people, without a lot of money at a younger age, to come to more games and bring children to games. I feel it is and was very short-sighted to tarp off affordable seats. We need to start hooking the younger generation into Marshall basketball.

I will agree with this, and not only for basketball, but for football as well.  I do think soccer has done a great job of getting a younger crowd, and hopefully baseball will bring in some families in the near future.  As they are, families and youth do seem to be either priced out of football or unmotivated.  Marshall has done things recently like the Sweetheart Clinic, the Dance and Cheer clinic that performed at a game, the WBB student days, that do seem to focus on getting a fair number of youth in the doors to basketball games.  But I do agree that the average age of our fan-base would be a concern.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline HerdinNT

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2024, 02:21:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Couple of points.  One, attendance is decent becuase alot of the doners believe in what DD tells them.  The old I'm *&$#@* take his southern BS WV slang crap.  The prez and ad care about money, money money.  Winning or fielding a competitive team means nothing.  Hence, the perception of the program outside of Huntington is simple plain disgust.

The following users thanked this post: ed swain, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline elginherd

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2024, 02:40:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Two or three observations:
    A lot of the season ticket seats aren't filled with butts even during good seasons. Students have been aced out of good seats for the most part over the years.
    Students can get good seating for the women's games because, as of yet, the big money entities aren't scarfing up all the lower bowl seats.

In general, WCBB is an inferior product to watch compared to MCBB. This year's Herd seasons are the exception to the rule, because the men's team has been unwatchable for much of its season.

Finally, despite how crappy this season has been, has anyone heard any rumors regarding DD like we did with Huff?
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: wlf, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2024, 06:26:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I see we beat Michigan State in baseball today. Let me see, Herd Softball beat Michigan State; Herd Women's Basketball beats Florida; Herd Football beats Notre Dame and Herd Soccer beats just about every major school.

Edit: I forgot about our great W Tennis Team who also beats the big time programs.

A lot of people post that Marshall is just a poor school located in a city with drug problems and poverty and we have the smallest enrollment in D1. But we can compete with the big boys sometimes. It just shows you what a good coach can do with limited resources.

When is Dan ever going to beat a big time or P5 school? Maybe Dan needs to talk to the other Herd coaches on how play and win a game over the big time programs. Why can the other Herd coaches go against quality programs and win, but not Dan?  Of course Dan doesn't want to play tough teams, bring on UPike and the WVIC teams.  LOL

Seriously, we need a new men's basketball coach who can elevate the program.

#retire dan
    « Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 07:46:29 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan93, ed swain, luckytoes99, herdorbust2, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline wlf

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2024, 07:22:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There are at least 1/3 less people sitting in seats this year as compared to last, I really don't care what paid attendance is.
      I've seen every game replay and the overall views looking down shows at least 1/2 full or empty, choose whichever you will.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2, Lord Haw-Haw

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2024, 07:44:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There are at least 1/3 less people sitting in seats this year as compared to last, I really don't care what paid attendance is.
      I've seen every game replay and the overall views looking down shows at least 1/2 full or empty, choose whichever you will.

It looks fuller than it is because fans are scattered out. But if you look closely there are just as many empty seats as there are occupied, maybe more. I would guess 2500-3000 actual butts in the seats.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2024, 07:44:06 PM »

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2024, 09:27:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ...but the seats are sold.  these folks not showing up to sit in their seat, the "damage" ($ supporting the program status quo) is already done.  all i know is, less than 200 people can walk up to the ticket window tomorrow & be allowed in b/c almost all of the tix have been sold.  if we were 15-0 SBC, we wouldn't make any more $ from ticket sales for tom's game than what we're going to be taking in being 7-8.  that's what maclid is saying, the $ being taken in vs. potential is not a winning argument.  there's no way if we're selling 5k+ tix to watch a 7-8 team in a horrible conference with a terrible schedule, that we're gonna drop 2k-3k in attendance next season.  it blows my mind as much as it does anyone else's, but it is what it is...DD, for as terrible of a college coach as he is, has a lotta support here.

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2024, 09:32:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You have to understand that is tickets already sold. There aren't that many butts in the seats. And once this year is over, will those people continue buying season tickets?

i totally understand the point you're making, & I've made the same observations as you have regarding empty seats.  i'm disagreeing with your last point...i don't think those no-shows will stop buying season tix.  i really hope they prove me wrong, but anybody that was still buying season tix after '21-'22, i don't think anything would compel them to stop buying!

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2024, 09:41:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• i totally understand the point you're making, & I've made the same observations as you have regarding empty seats.  i'm disagreeing with your last point...i don't think those no-shows will stop buying season tix.  i really hope they prove me wrong, but anybody that was still buying season tix after '21-'22, i don't think anything would compel them to stop buying!

Oh yes they will. There were seats dropped this year. Next year will be more dropping tickets. And don't think even if some tickets are sold that an empty arena opens their eyes.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2024, 09:41:17 PM »