Author Topic: Postgame  (Read 1004 times)

Online scope58

Postgame
« on: February 21, 2024, 09:33:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Where is the Dantoni postgame for tonight ?

HerdFans.com

Postgame
    « on: February 21, 2024, 09:33:31 PM »

Online MUfan08

Re: Postgame
    « Reply #1 on: February 21, 2024, 09:35:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He did the after came interview with Steve Cotton, the Dawg hasn't played his post game interview with the media (yet).

The following users thanked this post: scope58

Online scope58

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024, 09:41:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He did the after came interview with Steve Cotton, the Dawg hasn't played his post game interview with the media (yet).
    Thanks

Online MUfan08

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 09:42:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • FYI, they said when they come back from this break they will have Dan's post game with the media.

The following users thanked this post: scope58

Offline coalherd

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2024, 09:48:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Still the same-o and LAME excuse making from Coach Clowntoni that we have come to expect over TEN seasons!!!  And it's getting "DAMN OLD", Folks!!!

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Online MUfan08

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2024, 09:57:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Danny thinks we are playing well just not making shots....

He got pissy with a comment and responded "give him Shaq and we will be a low post team. We are a three point shooting team."

We will come back and have good practices and get ready for Appy on Saturday.

He keeps talking about we need to be positive and to get a run for the tournament. And we need to believe it. He's making it sound like the players are listening to "negative comments".

Second time Dans brought up winning 24 games last year.....

He mentioned we are needing to get 2 scorers for next year. We were depending on Andy for this season for scoring and he left late in the recruiting for us.

Mentioned if we don't have positive comment especially in a small market and community it's hard on the team and hard to recruit.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, scope58, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline coalherd

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2024, 10:03:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

He got pissy with a comment and responded "give him Shaq and we will be a low post team. We are a three point shooting team."

He keeps talking about we need to be positive and to get a run for the tournament. And we need to believe it. He's making it sound like the players are listening to "negative comments".

He mentioned we are needing to get 2 scorers for next year. We were depending on Andy for this season for scoring and he left late in the recruiting for us.

Mentioned if we don't have positive comment especially in a small market and community it's hard on the team and hard to recruit.

What a HYPOCRITE!!!!!!  Those 24 W's last season were All accomplished in regular season play!!  And as Danny says time after time after time, regular season play means "NOTHING", i.e., it is good "only" for getting us ready for POST SEASON PLAY!!!  LIKE IT DID LAST YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DANNY CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS, FOLKS!!!!!!!

Online scope58

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2024, 10:05:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Lol, good lord. He really is delusional

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2024, 10:16:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Talks about 24 wins last year, then ignores choking away the last two games of the year.  He's not even good at making excuses right now.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 08:41:35 AM by wasbarryb »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, coalherd, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2024, 10:24:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He got pissy with a comment and responded "give him Shaq and we will be a low post team. We are a three point shooting team."

N, he would try & make shaq a 3-pt shooter if he had him!  i'm not trying to compare WVHS AA hoops to D-I, but OAK played the Shaq role for Chapmanville.  he never shot 3s & perimeter jumpers in HS.  he comes here his FR year &, during the OOC schedule, is playing the post about as well as you could hope for a freshman, he was on pace to pass Williams as the all-time blocks leader in either his SO or JR season, was cleaning up the trash underneath with put-backs, rebounding...& then DD tried to change him.  DD didn't want a post player, he wanted a 6'10 3-pt shooter.  & for his last 3-1/2 years here, OAK has just been a shadow of the player he could've been if DD woulda just further developed his inside game.

Online herd2win

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2024, 10:25:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dan will bake in 10 easy wins next year out of conference.  He also needs to realize it is App St and not Appy.  I live in NC and no one calls it Appy.

Offline GoHerd35

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2024, 10:29:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2024, 10:29:23 PM »

Offline herdman22

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2024, 11:03:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dan will bake in 10 easy wins next year out of conference.  He also needs to realize it is App St and not Appy.  I live in NC and no one calls it Appy.
    I call them Appy because I have since SoCon days but mainly do it because they get so upset about it. Anything to upset Appy is good with me.

Don't Worry. Beat Appy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2, luckytoes99

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2024, 11:07:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • At least Goran and Marco were great cheerleaders for the soccer team. What a clown show.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, SuperAnjario, herdorbust2, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2024, 11:24:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

It's Appy around here for just that reason.

We have an entire generation of people that legitimately don't know its said as a slight to them.

Offline yogiherd

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2024, 01:26:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just like Appy use to call us the Blundering Terds in the old Southern Conference days.
    In God We Trust.
    United We Stand.
    God Bless America.
    go herd!!!

The following users thanked this post: svherd, luckytoes99, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2024, 04:47:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What a HYPOCRITE!!!!!!  Those 24 W's last season were All accomplished in regular season play!!  And as Danny says time after time after time, regular season play means "NOTHING", i.e., it is good "only" for getting us ready for POST SEASON PLAY!!!  LIKE IT DID LAST YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DANNY CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS, FOLKS!!!!!!!

Calm down it could be worse
    Ok maybe not

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2024, 07:44:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A few quick takeaways from the post game video.

His opening comment was it was a rough game and they are physical. I have heard that comment several times and I think he said it after the previous two games. Basketball has changed and Dan doesn't understand that stronger and more physical players will beat his skinny boys.

He talked about a malaise over the program and the negativity. He later made a statment about comments around the program. He mentioned the negative "communications out there" so I guess he is reading the message boards and social media.  He seem to be calling out the fans like he calls out the players.

His body language is very defensive in most of the video with his arms crossed. He alluded to the fact that a small community like MU has, the players hear all the negative comments. Again, it appears that Dan realizes he is losing the fan base and blaming the fans for the team's "lack of confidence" or problems.
    « Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 08:26:59 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2024, 08:49:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A few quick takeaways from the post game video.

His opening comment was it was a rough game and they are physical. I have heard that comment several times and I think he said it after the previous two games. Basketball has changed and Dan doesn't understand that stronger and more physical players will beat his skinny boys.

He talked about a malaise over the program and the negativity. He later made a statment about comments around the program. He mentioned the negative "communications out there" so I guess he is reading the message boards and social media.  He seem to be calling out the fans like he calls out the players.

His body language is very defensive in most of the video with his arms crossed. He alluded to the fact that a small community like MU has, the players hear all the negative comments. Again, it appears that Dan realizes he is losing the fan base and blaming the fans for the team's "lack of confidence" or problems.
    [/b]

I don't know how he can accuse us of lacking confidence.  I'm very confident that his "system" isn't working and we aren't going to win conference championships or be playing in the big dance.  That isn't negativity, it's realism based on what I see in the product he has produced.  Hs complaints sounds like the criminal caught red handed committing a crime blaming society for his bad decisions.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2024, 10:57:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I haven't commented in weeks on the state of the men's basketball program. I got to the point where there was no use. I outlined on several posts over the year what I thought the issues were. It was clear to many what the issues were. I made a comment on here about six weeks ago that the women had the best chance to win a conference championship for winter sports. I think most agreed.

Leadership starts at the top. We have two types of leadership being shown in basketball: (1) one leader has a championship acumen.....she has won conference championships at a lower division of basketball, she has won regional championships at that level, and she won a national championship at that level. She is no non-sense in her press conferences. She was impressive in OOC road defeats in addressing issues that needed to be corrected. Last night after a 26 point road win, she said "the half-court defense was terrible". She also stated that "there are several things that need to be addressed before Saturday night". This is a statement of a coach who just isn't content with a victory. She sees down the road of what needs to happen. This is championship acumen. This is a coach who sees the prize at the end of the long, hard road. She handles her issues in team practices and the team meeting room with game video. She knows how to occupy the space in press conferences. She knows what to say and how to say it. There is a definitive reason why her players play super hard for her. (2) the other leader spent three seasons ago complaining about the portal, complaining about the age of the players on the other team.....fast forward to now.....and it is every one else's fault. I never hear one single comment from him on what he needs to do better.....what he can do to correct flaws....point out things he could have done better as a game manager. Oh No! It is every one else who has a problem.....the fans have a problem, the players have a problem, the bench has a problem, the negativity in the air has a problem, the media has a problem after last night with a semi-tough question, the NCAA and its new rules have a problem......every one has a problem but the guy making 3/4 of a million dollars.

I am commenting today because as a Marshall alumni and a supporter of this school and program that I have had enough with Dan and his comments in press conferences. I am sickened by the way he is constantly allowed to call players out in press conferences. That is a jerk-water move and a bad look on our school. I have read where posters don't think President Smith shouldn't get involved with men's basketball.....we have more pressing issues at Marshall University. I strongly disagree!!!! President Smith should call D'Antoni to his office first thing. It should be a 10-15 minute conversation where Dan is dressed down for these type of comments about student-athletes. The last I checked.....Dan recruited these athletes. He operates under the same number of scholarships as every other D1 coach in America. He has 13 full scholarships. His job is to recruit them to campus and then coach them up. If he has issues with certain players and how they are playing, he needs to address that behind closed doors. It is just a horrible look for a head coach to blast individual players in press conferences. Instead of going off about players in press conferences, how about when you take them out of the game that you actually talk to them as young men, instruct them on the sideline and do what quality coaches do......give them basketball advice. I have no use for a guy that stands there the entire game with his arms folded, never talks to players, never puts his ear to his four assistants, and then puts certain players on blast during press conferences. It is totally unprofessional, and yes, it is a horrible look for Marshall University! The president needs to let Dan know how he needs to occupy the space, how is representing Marshall and how it treats the student-athlete.

This leads me to another point. Dan is operating an offense by having a 6'9" player bring the ball down the floor, initiate the offense by either throwing to a 6'8" post player 19 feet from the basket or have that post player run a screen-and-roll 24 feet from the basket. Who does this? But yet Dan constantly blames Jacob Conner in his press conferences; maybe not as much last night but he has done it over the course of the season. Conner is playing out of position. That isn't Conner's fault. That is Dan's fault. I have met Jacob Conner and he is a good kid. He doesn't deserve this treatment from his head coach in press conferences. Recruit a point guard and let the kid play the three spot which is where he should be. Get off the kids back Dan! You had five months in the spring & summer of 2023 to get a point guard that could come in here and play. You could have gotten a JUCO PG, you could have got a portal player, you could have gotten a prep school player. That is on you; not Jacob Conner. If I was Conner last night, I would have called out Dan in the press conference. But I give Conner credit, he doesn't lower himself to the standard that the head coach sets. He actually rises above it.

The calling out of players is a poor look for Marshall University as a whole. I just can't bite my tongue any longer. It will hurt in recruiting. These videos are out there. Don't think for one second that an opposing coach won't use these when competing for Marshall for a recruit. It wouldn't be as much as a problem if we didn't have a coach who has as many coaching flaws in how he runs the program. My message to you Dan: fix your own flaws before you run around like Mr. Microphone blasting players in press conferences. Handle your business with individual players in team rooms, film sessions and practices.

Offline MidlandKnight

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2024, 11:56:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good analysis jdonaccbus! Danny's comments about the fans hurting his team's confidence has to be one of silliest comments I have heard. If you are a true athlete, you have a competitiveness about you, that makes you want to prove the dissenters wrong. The real problem is you have to have a leader who is able to unite the entire group and come up with a plan that everybody believes in. This is not happening, is it because DD does not know how to lead through adversity, or has the players "lost confidence" in him. I think it is both, and blaming the fans is an easy scapegoat.

Further more, we have four players who have played at other college basketball programs, I am sure they have swapped notes comparing their coaches at the previous stop to Dan. I bet there are some things DD does, or does not do that has them scratching their heads. 

I had previously mentioned Dan's entire coaching career has been pretty stress free:
    1. Coach high school when times were different, and in an area that had plenty of other distractions for the locals.
    2. Assistant in the NBA primarily because of his brother.
    3. First few years at Marshall, exciting ball played primarily thanks to Elmore, Browing, Burks, and West who had played with and against each other for years.
    4. 17-15 in 19-20, but most gave him a pass (myself included) do to Elmore/Burks being gone.
    5. 12-21 in 21-22, again most gave a pass due to coming out of Covid.

But this year it is different, he is starting to hear the rumbles and his friends, family, and players are too. Good coaches try to figure it out, average/bad coaches complain make excuses. 

« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 12:00:26 PM by MidlandKnight »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUfan08, herdorbust2, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2024, 12:38:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Stopped really caring about Dan and his press moments. He can throw me under the bus if he wants to. He has that right. I, on the other hand, can talk about how he needs to either step down or be fired after this season. That is my right. I can't say a lot of good about Herrion, but he always thanked those who showed up for ballgames.

The following users thanked this post: mu79grad, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2024, 12:38:27 PM »

Offline Collis P

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2024, 02:22:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I haven't commented in weeks on the state of the men's basketball program. I got to the point where there was no use. I outlined on several posts over the year what I thought the issues were. It was clear to many what the issues were. I made a comment on here about six weeks ago that the women had the best chance to win a conference championship for winter sports. I think most agreed.

Leadership starts at the top. We have two types of leadership being shown in basketball: (1) one leader has a championship acumen.....she has won conference championships at a lower division of basketball, she has won regional championships at that level, and she won a national championship at that level. She is no non-sense in her press conferences. She was impressive in OOC road defeats in addressing issues that needed to be corrected. Last night after a 26 point road win, she said "the half-court defense was terrible". She also stated that "there are several things that need to be addressed before Saturday night". This is a statement of a coach who just isn't content with a victory. She sees down the road of what needs to happen. This is championship acumen. This is a coach who sees the prize at the end of the long, hard road. She handles her issues in team practices and the team meeting room with game video. She knows how to occupy the space in press conferences. She knows what to say and how to say it. There is a definitive reason why her players play super hard for her. (2) the other leader spent three seasons ago complaining about the portal, complaining about the age of the players on the other team.....fast forward to now.....and it is every one else's fault. I never hear one single comment from him on what he needs to do better.....what he can do to correct flaws....point out things he could have done better as a game manager. Oh No! It is every one else who has a problem.....the fans have a problem, the players have a problem, the bench has a problem, the negativity in the air has a problem, the media has a problem after last night with a semi-tough question, the NCAA and its new rules have a problem......every one has a problem but the guy making 3/4 of a million dollars.

I am commenting today because as a Marshall alumni and a supporter of this school and program that I have had enough with Dan and his comments in press conferences. I am sickened by the way he is constantly allowed to call players out in press conferences. That is a jerk-water move and a bad look on our school. I have read where posters don't think President Smith shouldn't get involved with men's basketball.....we have more pressing issues at Marshall University. I strongly disagree!!!! President Smith should call D'Antoni to his office first thing. It should be a 10-15 minute conversation where Dan is dressed down for these type of comments about student-athletes. The last I checked.....Dan recruited these athletes. He operates under the same number of scholarships as every other D1 coach in America. He has 13 full scholarships. His job is to recruit them to campus and then coach them up. If he has issues with certain players and how they are playing, he needs to address that behind closed doors. It is just a horrible look for a head coach to blast individual players in press conferences. Instead of going off about players in press conferences, how about when you take them out of the game that you actually talk to them as young men, instruct them on the sideline and do what quality coaches do......give them basketball advice. I have no use for a guy that stands there the entire game with his arms folded, never talks to players, never puts his ear to his four assistants, and then puts certain players on blast during press conferences. It is totally unprofessional, and yes, it is a horrible look for Marshall University! The president needs to let Dan know how he needs to occupy the space, how is representing Marshall and how it treats the student-athlete.

This leads me to another point. Dan is operating an offense by having a 6'9" player bring the ball down the floor, initiate the offense by either throwing to a 6'8" post player 19 feet from the basket or have that post player run a screen-and-roll 24 feet from the basket. Who does this? But yet Dan constantly blames Jacob Conner in his press conferences; maybe not as much last night but he has done it over the course of the season. Conner is playing out of position. That isn't Conner's fault. That is Dan's fault. I have met Jacob Conner and he is a good kid. He doesn't deserve this treatment from his head coach in press conferences. Recruit a point guard and let the kid play the three spot which is where he should be. Get off the kids back Dan! You had five months in the spring & summer of 2023 to get a point guard that could come in here and play. You could have gotten a JUCO PG, you could have got a portal player, you could have gotten a prep school player. That is on you; not Jacob Conner. If I was Conner last night, I would have called out Dan in the press conference. But I give Conner credit, he doesn't lower himself to the standard that the head coach sets. He actually rises above it.

The calling out of players is a poor look for Marshall University as a whole. I just can't bite my tongue any longer. It will hurt in recruiting. These videos are out there. Don't think for one second that an opposing coach won't use these when competing for Marshall for a recruit. It wouldn't be as much as a problem if we didn't have a coach who has as many coaching flaws in how he runs the program. My message to you Dan: fix your own flaws before you run around like Mr. Microphone blasting players in press conferences. Handle your business with individual players in team rooms, film sessions and practices.

AMEN!!     Reality !!!!   Good Post !!
    S M I L E -

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline coalherd

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2024, 06:59:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Calm down it could be worse
    Ok maybe not

Gawd, what a "chilling" thought, BJs!!

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2024, 08:05:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have lost every ounce of respect I had for Danny. He never takes blame for nothing. All year he has blamed the players for missing shots or making a bad pass etc,,,, but who recruited these players and coached them? Then he said he needed to do more in practice which was a slap at his assistants. But who hired them? And last nights post game was the final straw for me. He wanted so badly to just rip into the fans and community but stopped short 2-3 times and gathered his words carefully. Saying there was a negativity around and everyone had to be pulling in the same direction blah blah blah. Then he got smirky with a reporter and said get me a Shaq and we will go inside. He said we are a 3 point shooting team. Really? Well coach after 28 games your team is 13 out of 14 schools in the SB in 3pt %. Maybe you recruited very poorly?

The guy is flailing around looking for any excuse because has such an inflated ego that he will never admit he has failed. And anyone that thinks next year will be better is out of their mind. Danny can't get out of his own way to recruit what he needs. Actually I think he has no idea what he needs. He lets players sit for 5 years that can't play. Keeps giving walk ins scholarships that aren't D1 players. And he said last night than Goran and Marko have been good for the soccer team because they beat the drum? WT crap is he thinking? This team is a disaster and Danny struck gold with White handing him Elmore and Taylor wanting to get back closer to home.

We went from scoring 90-100 a game and playing no defense to scoring 50-60 and playing no defense. Uncross your arms and coach your team like you do when you are chasing and screaming at the officials. It's time for him to go. It was hard enough for him to recruit before the portal. Now he is really in over his head.

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, miltonherdfan, coalherd, Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2024, 08:05:20 PM »