Author Topic: Dan should announce his retirement tomorrow  (Read 1252 times)

Offline herd2win

Re: Dan should announce his retirement tomorrow
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2024, 09:24:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The OOC schedule is going to be horrific and have a built in 10 wins.  Then the team can probably find another 8-10 wins and end up with a winning season.  At a minimum, Dan will be here for 2 more years.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2024, 09:24:30 AM »

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2024, 09:39:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not sure how you can right the ship losing Kurfman, OAK, and Voyles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if we're getting sick & tired of hearing his "we're young" lies -- they're lies, not excuses -- imagine next yr!  anyone know how many scholarships he has to give away to "young" players next season?  we lose voyles, marko, & goran d/t eligibility, toussaint & braun are transferring.  anyone else?

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline svherd

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2024, 09:51:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If I were Oak and Kurfman, I'd transfer. Dan and Chuck Landon have thrown them under the bus so many times, they are like pancakes on the road.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2024, 10:06:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If I were Oak and Kurfman, I'd transfer. Dan and Chuck Landon have thrown them under the bus so many times, they are like pancakes on the road.

I think Curfman is done with eligibility. But Oak and Martin could hit the portal.

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2024, 10:43:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think Curfman is done with eligibility. But Oak and Martin could hit the portal.

Y, Curfman is done as well, so that makes 6 new players for sure.

Offline MarshallSteve

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2024, 11:06:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, some advice for all those attending Saturday at the CAM:  If the HERD performs again anywhere close to what they performed TONIGHT, then all who truly care about the FUTURE of MU basketball need to "BOO LOUDLY and BOO OFTEN"!!  National TV be darned; MU Higher UPs need to get the Message "Loud and Clear" and that a very substantial portion of Fans and financial supporters, boosters, aren't going to take this incompetent and embarrassing brand of basketball much longer orchestrated and led by an in-over-his-head unqualified Head Coach who really had NO BUSINESS being in the Head Coaching Job in the FIRST PLACE!!  That's the BOTTOM LINE!!
    "Unqualified Head Coach?"....LMAO! Love him or hate him, Dan has revived Marshall Basketball and brought interest. We've enjoyed some of the best attendance numbers and good times during his time here. I don't recall you moaning and saying he was unqualified when we made it to the dance and won the opening game of the tournament that year.

That being said, Dan's time has probably come to a point where it's probably best to step down. But to say he was unqualified etc is just pure stupidity talk. I appreciate Dan and his love for Marshall and the turn around he did for the program. Yeah he will likely walk away after this year with a losing season but  he  will be  leaving the program in much better respectable shape than what Freeman, Jirsa and others did.

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2024, 11:53:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah he will likely walk away after this year with a losing season but  he  will be  leaving the program in much better respectable shape than what Freeman, Jirsa and others did.

I disagree.

He built up the program. That I agree. But he is currently tearing down what he built.

If he leaves this season, then he will leave the next head coach with a horrible roster situation compared to that of even Freeman. It may sound silly, but Freeman left talent for Billy Donovan to go 18-9 overall and 10-4 in the Southern Conference. The roster situation and use of scholarships right now is at an all time low since I have been following this program.

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, parshall2marshall, herdorbust2, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline svherd

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2024, 11:58:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I disagree.

He built up the program. That I agree. But he is currently tearing down what he built.

If he leaves this season, then he will leave the next head coach with a horrible roster situation compared to that of even Freeman. It may sound silly, but Freeman left talent for Billy Donovan to go 18-9 overall and 10-4 in the Southern Conference. The roster situation and use of scholarships right now is at an all time low since I have been following this program.

If he stays for another season, he most likely will end his career as the coach with the most losses in Marshall history. I don't want that.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2024, 12:08:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "Unqualified Head Coach?"....LMAO! Love him or hate him, Dan has revived Marshall Basketball and brought interest. We've enjoyed some of the best attendance numbers and good times during his time here. I don't recall you moaning and saying he was unqualified when we made it to the dance and won the opening game of the tournament that year.

That being said, Dan's time has probably come to a point where it's probably best to step down. But to say he was unqualified etc is just pure stupidity talk. I appreciate Dan and his love for Marshall and the turn around he did for the program. Yeah he will likely walk away after this year with a losing season but  he  will be  leaving the program in much better respectable shape than what Freeman, Jirsa and others did.

Dan's turnaround of the program appears to have completed a 360 degree  circle of returning to the starting point of being a fairly bad program. Out of 362 D1 programs we are now in the bottom half of the rankings headed to the bottom one third. Dan may have had his one magical season, but he can't sustain a winning program. The interest and attendance Dan built is dropping like a rock and he is about to match Herrion's last season of 11-22.

Thank you Dan for being coach but it is time to retire. I appreciate fan affection for Dan, but the amount of money we give him should require a better performance.

RealTime RPI has MU at #214
    http://realtimerpi.com/college_Men_basketball_rpi_Full.html

KenPom has Dan at #236.
    https://kenpom.com/

The Net has Dan at #242.
    https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings
    « Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 01:14:57 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2024, 12:31:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • While I think it is time for Dan to go, I just don't believe he will do so. I have nothing to back this up except a gut feeling. Wouldn't be surprised if he hangs around until the end of the contract looking to "turn things around."

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2024, 01:08:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Found Dan's compensation for 2023 was $602,159.98 (down from the previous year).

https://westvirginia.opengov.com/transparency#/42541/query=0EF6FBDC8DC73B78C1465D9C126C3A28&embed=n

He is the second highest paid Marshall employee (behind Huff).

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Offline bighat

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2024, 01:39:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am disappointed with the season but we lost three really good players two to the portal.  One was at the last moment.  I understand everyones frustration but Dan deserves and probably will get another year.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2024, 01:39:30 PM »

Offline MidlandKnight

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2024, 01:49:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Found Dan's compensation for 2023 was $602,159.98 (down from the previous year).

https://westvirginia.opengov.com/transparency#/42541/query=0EF6FBDC8DC73B78C1465D9C126C3A28&embed=n

He is the second highest paid Marshall employee (behind Huff).

What is even more shocking:

Mark Cline $143,196
    Corny Jackson $ 122,360
    Adam Williams  $ 91,880

I figured these guyes were in the 60-85 range, but not six figures.

Offline MarshallSteve

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2024, 01:54:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • While I think it is time for Dan to go, I just don't believe he will do so. I have nothing to back this up except a gut feeling. Wouldn't be surprised if he hangs around until the end of the contract looking to "turn things around."
    I personally think he will step down. Call it a career.

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2024, 02:31:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am disappointed with the season but we lost three really good players two to the portal.  One was at the last moment.  I understand everyones frustration but Dan deserves and probably will get another year.

In a vacuum, I would agree he deserves more time, but we're just two years removed from a 12-21 season. The evidence suggests that years like this one are becoming the norm while ones like last season are becoming the outlier. And even the "good" years since Elmore left have ended with tourney losses to bottom of the conference teams.

He's the oldest coach in the country going into year 11 while saying just objectively idiotic things in almost every interview. His "system" causes our players to do objectively idiotic things on the court. Then he throws them under the bus and makes every excuse known to man. He's clearly not cut out to be a head coach in the portal era.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, coalherd, herdorbust2, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2024, 02:33:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

No, he doesn't. I'm hoping you are just being sarcastic with the post as well.

Last year, Kinsey wasn't even supposed to be on the team (gift from Covid, he got another year).

Micah, basically from the end of January to the end of the season was non existent because of foul trouble. Teams figured out he jumps on everything and waited when he was in the air and jumped into him to get the foul. Good coaching would have helped Micah out, or scheming to help with the situation when our guards were getting burnt.
    Martin has been better this year at the center position for us (so we improved from the portal getting Martin for this year).

Dan's roster management and having 5 (five) scholarship upperclassmen on the bench not playing or giving any quality minutes is the reason for the mess of a season.

He doesn't deserve another season for this train wreck since he is the freaking conductor.

Maybe clean the roster up, watch actual tape on opposing teams (not just to see what bench players are cheering...come on), put more focus on strength and conditioning (not just running 5ks), practice defensive plays and rebounding (not just pick and roll offense), actually do in game coaching instead of complaining to the refs or standing like a statue when the other team goes on a run, takes chances on talented players (man, this team would have been different with Jacob Meyer, but he made a mean tweet about his high school team...a lot less than what Dan does to his players during post game losses).

Start doing this, maybe he should be considered coming back for an 11th season haha

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, luckytoes99, coalherd, herdorbust2, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline mu79grad

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2024, 02:53:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I disagree.

I remember that Freeman left Billy with Shawn Moore, who, in my opinion, is one of the most underrated players that Marshall has had. 

The following users thanked this post: Herd2believe, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline svherd

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2024, 03:58:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Wow! Surprised losing Peneva wasn't a part of the discussion.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb

Offline coalherd

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2024, 05:03:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • "Unqualified Head Coach?"....LMAO! Love him or hate him, Dan has revived Marshall Basketball and brought interest. We've enjoyed some of the best attendance numbers and good times during his time here. I don't recall you moaning and saying he was unqualified when we made it to the dance and won the opening game of the tournament that year.

Two weeks of very good, even great, basketball in TEN DAMN Seasons!!  Yeah, you definitely sound like the typical and frankly sickening MU fan that sets the damn bar so low to ensure that Marshall continues to be irrelevant and nothing more than an afterthought in men's basketball going forward!!  After the end of this season D'Antoni will have have a record barely over the .500 mark!!!! WHOOOOPEEEEE!!!

When he was hired, the decision was questioned, even panned, by some in the national media, since Danny had NO experience whatsoever in College basketball, including Coaching, since he left MU over 4 Decades earlier!!! Oh, yeah, the predominant same ole bunch of "Stuck in the 50's" crowd in Huntington rejoiced and cheered loudly, even as the City continued to crash and rot around them, and hundreds more people left town almost monthly! 

Yeah, I'm sure you'll be ahead of that same ole bunch leading the charge up to the Old Main President's Office, demanding an even LONGER job extension for "Your Boy, Ole High School Danny"!!

Bottom line:  MARSHALL Deserves Better!  A Lot Better!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2024, 05:03:50 PM »