Author Topic: Dwight Freeman  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Flat Tire 2

Re: Dwight Freeman
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2024, 03:40:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That 83-84 team went out to a holiday tournament in Las Vegas and gave Georgetown every thing they wanted in the first round of that UNLV tournament.

Georgetown would go on to win the NCAA tournament over the Houston Cougars and their Phi Slamma Jamma lineup. That Georgetown team was loaded with Patrick Ewing, David Wingate, Michael Graham, Reggie Williams, Michael Jackson, Billy Martin, Horace Broadnax, etc. We played Georgetown tough and lost by 11. We beat an ACC team the next day in the consolation game.

We beat UTC in the Southern Conference tournament championship game 111-107 in 2 OTs. One of the best Marshall games I have ever watched.

We also beat wvu; TCU; Cincinnati and Marquette at home that year. We beat Clemson in Vegas and Georgetown was #5 when we played in them in Vegas.
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/marshall/men/1984-schedule.html

In response to bighat post: "Please these players were not that much better than what we have."
    Well, we did play a ranked UK team this season and lost 118-82 and it was 69-41 at the half. The 1984 team lost to #5 Georgetown 82-71. So if  these players are not that much better than what we have then it must be a world of difference in the coaching ability of the MU coaches.
    « Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 03:51:25 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, DC01HERD, Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2024, 03:40:45 PM »

Offline herd2win

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2024, 04:01:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huck had players.  Tom Curry could get 50 on our current team.

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2024, 04:40:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I talked with coach Freeman numerous times. He is such a nice guy. Too bad it didn't work out for him.

I do remember one time Hightower left the team for a couple of days. He came storming out of the locker room after a game. Many of us with the press were kind of shocked at it. He was playing by the next game.

Offline svherd

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2024, 04:42:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Skip and Evans would light it up. Turney, Curry, Ervin, Eppes would push us around like midget leaguers. Not even close.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, herddds, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline coalherd

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2024, 04:45:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We also beat wvu; TCU; Cincinnati and Marquette at home that year. We beat Clemson in Vegas and Georgetown was #5 when we played in them in Vegas.
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/marshall/men/1984-schedule.html

In response to bighat post: "Please these players were not that much better than what we have."
    Well, we did play a ranked UK team this season and lost 118-82 and it was 69-41 at the half. The 1984 team lost to #5 Georgetown 82-71. So if  these players are not that much better than what we have then it must be a world of difference in the coaching ability of the MU coaches.

In TEN seasons has Danny ever beaten a Ranked opponent in regular season play?  It is well documented that he has NOT beaten a Major foe in ten years of the same play!  NOT ONE!  By contrast, the "interim" coach at WVU, Eilert, despite not having a full roster of his players until about a week ago, has defeated TWO of such opponents in less than one full season!  ONE was highly ranked KANSAS!

But our boy DANNY has all those "memorable" W's over UPIKE, RIO GRANDE, and numerous D-2 foes from the Mountain East Con. to fall back on and recall, brag about, etc,!

Offline herdman22

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2024, 04:54:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Freeman was indeed given the job to keep John here. 

Laverne was one of the best players to ever play for MU.  Way underrated.
    Taft was a good guy and I loved watching him play. Played for 3 coaches here and stuck with it. Wouldn't see that now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Herd72

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2024, 05:24:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    But he couldn't count to fifty, LOL. I knew Tom a bit while he was here. He bragged about never attending more than 2 classes a week - one was Bowling and the other was Principles of Safety Education.

Offline MUther

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2024, 06:15:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Skip and Evans would light it up. Turney, Curry, Ervin, Eppes would push us around like midget leaguers. Not even close.

Don't forget Jeff Battle.  Could use his basketball IQ on this team. 

He's also associate head coach at Wake Forest and recruiter. Might be worth a look next time around if people can get past the fact that he played here after the last few years of dealing with an alum.  Will have good Carolina contacts.
    « Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 06:21:19 PM by MUther »

The following users thanked this post: svherd, herddds, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2024, 06:55:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That 83-84 team went out to a holiday tournament in Las Vegas and gave Georgetown every thing they wanted in the first round of that UNLV tournament.

Georgetown would go on to win the NCAA tournament over the Houston Cougars and their Phi Slamma Jamma lineup. That Georgetown team was loaded with Patrick Ewing, David Wingate, Michael Graham, Reggie Williams, Michael Jackson, Billy Martin, Horace Broadnax, etc. We played Georgetown tough and lost by 11. We beat an ACC team the next day in the consolation game.

We beat UTC in the Southern Conference tournament championship game 111-107 in 2 OTs. One of the best Marshall games I have ever watched.

They have outlawed the physical play but that team would brutalize Dan's team. 83-85 Big East was maybe the greatest run one conference can have. MU went head to head with back to back National Champions.

Why don't any of these old timers want to get back to the Huck years?

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Flat Tire 2, luckytoes99, herdorbust2, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2024, 08:00:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Please these players were not that much better than what we have.

No issue with you as a poster, but I have to ask:

--which one of Danny's players could stop:  1) Laverne, 2) Wade; or 3) Skip?

--which one of Danny's players could beat Holden to a rebound?

I will give you that Martin could match up with Epps and Curry, but he wouldn't dominate.

That being said, Danny's players would slay in a civics class.
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, svherd

Offline luckytoes99

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2024, 08:08:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I was noticing that as well. But the 3 point line was much deeper then so a much tougher shot. And why shoot a 19 footer if it's just 2 points? Those Huck teams would have ruled this SB league. The SC had some bad teams but they always had 3-4 teams better than anything the SB has. UTC had some really great teams. Willie White, Strickland, Schoen(?) Gerald Wilkins etc. ETSU had some great teams with Calvin Talford, Greg Dennis, Rodney English, Mr Jennings along with some very tough Davidson squads.

Actually, the 3 pointer was not adopted by the NCAA for all games until April 1986. What you saw in the video with Villanova was the NBA line at that time. You probably remember that the Southern Conference was the first to experiment with the 3 point line in 1980-1981 which was initially 22 feet. As you can see, very few shots were taken from 16 feet or further away. There was no incentive to take an outside shot in that game other than it was less likely to be contested.

You can also notice that a shot clock wasn't used in the Villanova game either. It wasn't adopted universally until the 1985-1986 season. I can't confirm but I thought the Southern Conference was one of the first conferences to experiment with it.

Under Zuffelato, the Herd would go to the 4 to score formation when having a decent 2nd half lead. Without a shot clock, there was no incentive to score. You would hope Bunny Gibson or Greg White would be fouled and shoot free throws. It led to boring but effective basketball.

The shot clock and 3 point line certainly changed the game as it was played by Huck's Herd compared to now. But I would think there were plenty of good shooters on the 83-84 team that would have adjusted well to todays 3 point game. They had no issues shooting the ball quickly so the shot clock would not have impacted their game.

Concerning the Georgetown game, I distinctly remember the game was tied with 6 minutes left. They could play with anybody.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

HerdFans.com

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2024, 08:08:04 PM »