Author Topic: Dwight Freeman  (Read 1142 times)

Offline banker

Dwight Freeman
« on: February 19, 2024, 12:35:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just kind of a mind blowing fact about coach Freeman, considered by fans to be our worst BB coach. He hasn?t coached here in 30 years and he is 12 years younger than Dan.  The coach we have in 2024 is older than the coach we had in 1994.   That would be the same as hiring a FB coach in 2054 that was born 12 years before Huff.

No real point, just something that blew my mind a little. Just as odd, Dan was born shortly after Rick Huckabay, our coach in the 80s.  He?s been gone for 18 years.   Dan is the oldest living Marshall coach that I can find in basketball and we have many living former head coaches from the last 40 years.

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, DC01HERD, svherd, MUther, Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

Dwight Freeman
    « on: February 19, 2024, 12:35:48 AM »

Online CoachMaclid

Re: Dwight Freeman
    « Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 12:53:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Deleted my post.
    « Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 12:54:44 AM by CoachMaclid »

Offline MUther

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2024, 07:46:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just kind of a mind blowing fact about coach Freeman, considered by fans to be our worst BB coach. He hasn?t coached here in 30 years and he is 12 years younger than Dan.  The coach we have in 2024 is older than the coach we had in 1994.   That would be the same as hiring a FB coach in 2054 that was born 12 years before Huff.

No real point, just something that blew my mind a little. Just as odd, Dan was born shortly after Rick Huckabay, our coach in the 80s.  He?s been gone for 18 years.   Dan is the oldest living Marshall coach that I can find in basketball and we have many living former head coaches from the last 40 years.

You have an interesting way of using numbers to make things relevant.  Always enjoy your perspective.

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 12:11:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I met Freeman on a couple of occasions. Good dude. Bad head coach here.....no question. He should have been fired.

But I give the guy some credit, he did his best to bring in some talent here. I never faulted him in that phase of the head coaching profession.

People forget that in his next-to-last season that we were 15-5 in the middle of February before losing 6 of the last 7 in an absolute collapse. That roster had some talent: Malik Hightower, Tink Brown, Tyrone Phillips, Michael Peck, Stuff Lynch, Harold Simmons, Chris Morrow (transferred from Alderson-Broaddus after being state player of the year), etc. It wasn't great coaching, but I would take that roster right now. Sorry.

He also had a schedule in his last season that had away games at #2 North Carolina, #24 WVU (Chas.), Kansas State & Wake Forest. He was bad in the Southern Conference and deserved to be fired. But that schedule didn't set him up too good.

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, mr_ash_1995, wlf, herdorbust2

Offline Always THE HERD

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2024, 01:06:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Statistics overview
    Season   Team   Overall   Conference   Standing   Postseason
    Marshall Thundering Herd (Southern Conference) (1990?1994)
    1990?91   Marshall   14?14   7?7   4th   
    1991?92   Marshall   7?22   3?11   6th   
    1992?93   Marshall   16?11   11?7   4th   
    1993?94   Marshall   9?18   7?11   7th   
    Marshall:   46?65 (.414)   28?36 (.438)   
    Norfolk State Spartans (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) (2002?2007)
    2002?03   Norfolk State   14?15   10?8   6th   
    2003?04   Norfolk State   12?17   10?8   5th   
    2004?05   Norfolk State   13?14   11?7   4th   
    2005?06   Norfolk State   13?18   10?8   5th   
    2006?07   Norfolk State   11?19   10?8   3rd   
    Norfolk State:   63?83 (.432)   51?39 (.567)   
    Total:   109?148 (.424)   

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2024, 01:22:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I met Freeman on a couple of occasions. Good dude. Bad head coach here.....no question. He should have been fired.

But I give the guy some credit, he did his best to bring in some talent here. I never faulted him in that phase of the head coaching profession.

People forget that in his next-to-last season that we were 15-5 in the middle of February before losing 6 of the last 7 in an absolute collapse. That roster had some talent: Malik Hightower, Tink Brown, Tyrone Phillips, Michael Peck, Stuff Lynch, Harold Simmons, Chris Morrow (transferred from Alderson-Broaddus after being state player of the year), etc. It wasn't great coaching, but I would take that roster right now. Sorry.

He also had a schedule in his last season that had away games at #2 North Carolina, #24 WVU (Chas.), Kansas State & Wake Forest. He was bad in the Southern Conference and deserved to be fired. But that schedule didn't set him up too good.
    Now we have a coach that can?t recruit or coach.  😂

Offline TomorrowHERD

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2024, 02:49:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sometimes, I wonder how Huck's teams would have done against our present competition...

"I am for a government that is rigorously frugal and simple. Were we directed from Washington when to sow, when to reap, we should soon want bread."
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
    "I predict future hapiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."-Thomas Jefferson
    http://www.cnmi-guide.com/ipg/islandlife/saipan2/

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2024, 02:52:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sometimes, I wonder how Huck's teams would have done against our present competition...

Huck had much more talent than the present team.  I'm sure Danny's players are more polite, but these kids could play:

Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, mr_ash_1995, DC01HERD, herdorbust2

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2024, 03:30:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huck had much more talent than the present team.  I'm sure Danny's players are more polite, but these kids could play:

Man I miss those teams. Look at Epps, Ervin and Wade compared to Danny's players. Those teams had men instead of boys.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Flat Tire 2

Offline coalherd

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2024, 05:46:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Anyone else believe that Ken "Labo" Labonowski, from the Stu Aberdeen/Bob Zuffelato days would give anything to go up against Danny D.'s typical HERD frontline back in his playing days?

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2024, 05:53:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Anyone else believe that Ken "Labo" Labonowski, from the Stu Aberdeen/Bob Zuffelato days would give anything to go up against Danny D.'s typical HERD frontline back in his playing days?

I guess so
    Never really thought about it
    Odd

Offline herd1986

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2024, 10:22:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Man I miss those teams. Look at Epps, Ervin and Wade compared to Danny's players. Those teams had men instead of boys.
    Athletes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2024, 10:22:41 PM »

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2024, 08:20:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That 83-84 team went out to a holiday tournament in Las Vegas and gave Georgetown every thing they wanted in the first round of that UNLV tournament.

Georgetown would go on to win the NCAA tournament over the Houston Cougars and their Phi Slamma Jamma lineup. That Georgetown team was loaded with Patrick Ewing, David Wingate, Michael Graham, Reggie Williams, Michael Jackson, Billy Martin, Horace Broadnax, etc. We played Georgetown tough and lost by 11. We beat an ACC team the next day in the consolation game.

We beat UTC in the Southern Conference tournament championship game 111-107 in 2 OTs. One of the best Marshall games I have ever watched.
    « Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 10:22:07 AM by jdonaccbus »

The following users thanked this post: svherd, luckytoes99, overherd1, herdorbust2

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2024, 09:09:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That 83-84 team went out to a holiday tournament in Las Vegas and gave Georgetown every thing they wanted in the first round of that UNLV tournament.

Georgetown would go on to win the NCAA tournament over the Houston Cougars and their Phi Slamma Jamma lineup. That Georgetown team was loaded with Patrick Ewing, David Wingate, Michael Graham, Reggie Williams, Michael Jackson, Billy Martin, Horace Broadnax, etc. We played Georgetown tough and lost by 11. We beat an ACC team the next day in the consolation game.

We beat UTC in the championship game 111-107 in 2 OTs. One of the best Marshall games I have ever watched.

We were down 5 to Georgetown with a few minutes left. That team had a lot of great pieces and depth. Then Huck brought in guys like Skip, Holden, Curry, Taft, Strickland, Lewis, Guthrie. Those were great times to be a basketball fan.

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, svherd, jdonaccbus, Collis P, luckytoes99

Offline svherd

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2024, 09:13:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Hucks teams would murder our current squad. Too much quickness, more physical, just better talent.

BTW, with all due respect and thanks for the info. to another poster - someone posted that Dan is 17 losses away from setting the MU career record. I don't want that for him. His legacy is more important. I hope he retires.
    « Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 09:16:20 AM by svherd »

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline overherd1

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2024, 09:59:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Those were some good teams and fun to watch!  I think Freeman was kept to keep John Taft here??   If you watch that game clip, it was a completely different game then.  Seems like no one from either team took a shot outside of 15-18 feet.  Thanks for sharing, fun to watch.  Also, Laverne Evans was good.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, svherd

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2024, 10:13:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Those were some good teams and fun to watch!  I think Freeman was kept to keep John Taft here??   If you watch that game clip, it was a completely different game then.  Seems like no one from either team took a shot outside of 15-18 feet.  Thanks for sharing, fun to watch.  Also, Laverne Evans was good.

Freeman was indeed given the job to keep John here. 

Laverne was one of the best players to ever play for MU.  Way underrated. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, svherd, jdonaccbus, Collis P, herdorbust2

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2024, 10:18:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I was noticing that as well. But the 3 point line was much deeper then so a much tougher shot. And why shoot a 19 footer if it's just 2 points? Those Huck teams would have ruled this SB league. The SC had some bad teams but they always had 3-4 teams better than anything the SB has. UTC had some really great teams. Willie White, Strickland, Schoen(?) Gerald Wilkins etc. ETSU had some great teams with Calvin Talford, Greg Dennis, Rodney English, Mr Jennings along with some very tough Davidson squads.

The following users thanked this post: Collis P

Offline WVpaNC42

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2024, 10:20:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • All this is on point, Freeman took a thankless job at the beginning of probation.  Had not thought of some of the names like Hightower, Tink, Phillips, but yes, they are all much more talented than what we have now.  Remember going to Midnight Madness and thinking that Hightower was going to be the next John Taft(way off on that one!!!)

I met Freeman on a couple of occasions. Good dude. Bad head coach here.....no question. He should have been fired.

[/quote]

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2024, 10:21:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Freeman was indeed given the job to keep John here. 

Laverne was one of the best players to ever play for MU.  Way underrated.

Laverne Evans is probably my favorite player of all time at Marshall. That guy was smooth as silk.

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Offline bighat

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2024, 11:40:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Please these players were not that much better than what we have.

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2024, 11:41:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Are we sure Dan is alive?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2024, 11:41:43 AM »

Offline svherd

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2024, 11:52:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Dan? Is that you? JK.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, Flat Tire 2

Offline muherd34

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2024, 02:09:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Please elaborate.  I?m curious.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, herdorbust2

Offline yogiherd

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2024, 03:32:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

LaVerne Evans led the state of NY in scoring one year with thirty some points a game. He was also drafted by the Dallas Mavericks and played about twenty years overseas.
    He could rebound, play D and hand out assists as a SG. I know one thing there's not a player on this year's team that could guard him. He would probably score 38 or more against them like he did against UTC in the SC tourney.
    Sure wish we had a player like him on the team now and it would be a winning team=mark of a great player.
    In God We Trust.
    United We Stand.
    God Bless America.
    go herd!!!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2024, 03:32:45 PM »