Author Topic: Spears: "Everything is preparation for the SBC tournament."  (Read 1833 times)

Offline gochneaur645

Spears: "Everything is preparation for the SBC tournament."
« on: February 18, 2024, 02:51:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • While not technically wrong at this point, that's a pretty disgusting thing for our athletic director to say publicly. Maybe he's throwing some low-key shade at D'Antoni's postgame comments, but I doubt it.

https://twitter.com/TheHerdAD/status/1758849206175863007

HerdFans.com

Spears: "Everything is preparation for the SBC tournament."
    « on: February 18, 2024, 02:51:56 PM »

Online herdorbust2

Re: Spears: "Everything is preparation for the SBC tournament."
    « Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024, 03:18:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Disgusting and just goes to show they aren't serious about basketball. Wouldn't it be fun to have a miracle and go in as a #16 seed? IMO Spears needs to pack his bags also if he doesn't have the balls to do what is right for the fanbase.
    « Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 03:35:55 PM by herdorbust2 »

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129, Herdalum94

Offline herdman22

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2024, 03:40:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What do you expect him to say right now? He still needs to get people coming to games and the tournament. What good would it do to say anything different? His job is PR as much as anything. And, this statement is fact. Doesn't mean he is happy with how the season has gone or give any indication of what may happen next month. Personally, I will honestly be shocked if come April Danny is still the MU basketball coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, goherd73, Big City, svherd, whf, Always THE HERD, luckytoes99, Herdalum94, Nicks Pizza

Online svherd

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2024, 03:47:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What do you expect him to say right now? He still needs to get people coming to games and the tournament. What good would it do to say anything different? His job is PR as much as anything. And, this statement is fact. Doesn't mean he is happy with how the season has gone or give any indication of what may happen next month. Personally, I will honestly be shocked if come April Danny is still the MU basketball coach.

Agree. He's not gonna go all negative at this point. I wouldn't be shocked if he was compiling a short list of potential candidates. We'll see.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2024, 03:53:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What do you expect him to say right now? He still needs to get people coming to games and the tournament.

Saying the tournament is all that matters is a strange way to get people to come to our home games.

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, Herdalum94, herdorbust2

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2024, 03:54:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I'll be shocked if Danny isn't the coach next year. They aren't going to make the Dantoni's mad. Unless Danny decides to step down on his own(and that will NOT happen) then he will be back. They would rather eat 2 more years than lose the Dantoni's.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, MUfan08, Collis P, miltonherdfan

Online whf

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2024, 04:15:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I'll be shocked if Danny isn't the coach next year. They aren't going to make the Dantoni's mad. Unless Danny decides to step down on his own(and that will NOT happen) then he will be back. They would rather eat 2 more years than lose the Dantoni's.
    I think that this is a preview of things to come, he is working on making as much hay as he can for the next two home games.  After that, unless DD gets to the NCAA's, he's gone.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline tnherdfan

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Member Since 04/2012
    « Reply #7 on: February 18, 2024, 04:21:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I'll be shocked if Danny isn't the coach next year. They aren't going to make the Dantoni's mad. Unless Danny decides to step down on his own(and that will NOT happen) then he will be back. They would rather eat 2 more years than lose the Dantoni's.

I understand and appreciate what Dan and Mike mean to Marshall basketball but what exactly do we "lose" if we lose the D'Antonis?

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Online mu79grad

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2024, 04:25:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I understand and appreciate what Dan and Mike mean to Marshall basketball but what exactly do we "lose" if we lose the D'Antonis?

Maybe Mike being the next coach 😄

Online herd2win

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2024, 04:49:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This scares me.  My read is opposite of some.  Spears should not have said anything.  There was not a need for comment.  He is parroting what Dan says in the pressers.  I believe this signals Dan is coming back.  This along with Dans statement about having big crowds to help his recruiting tells me he will be our coach next year.

The following users thanked this post: Collis P, herdfan129, herdorbust2

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2024, 05:23:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • AD is clueless

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2, FilmJunky

Offline coalherd

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2024, 05:35:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Apparently AD put that comment out EXACTLY as Danny D. wrote it!!

Will be interesting to see what the reaction will be from Spears and others in the MU administration when D'Antoni's team lays another one of the frequent, patented and "WTF" eggs that they are known for and unceremoniously bows out of the upcoming SBC tourney, very early on, like they did last season!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2024, 05:35:46 PM »

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2024, 05:41:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • First time I?ve logged in for a few days. I can?t believe people still care at this point. Our AD doesn?t care if we win or lose, DD doesn?t care if we win or lose, why should any of us care?

The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: wlf, herdorbust2

Online whf

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2024, 08:04:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I still think it is the fan base's responsibility to turn out for these last two games to provide as much support to recruiting, regardless of who is doing it, as we can.  I'll be at both games, not expecting to win either, but hoping to let folks on the recruiting trail, potential coach candidates and a national (if they want to watch) TV audience, see what MU has and can be for them.

The following users thanked this post: goherd73, usedcars1

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2024, 08:39:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I still think it is the fan base's responsibility to turn out for these last two games to provide as much support to recruiting, regardless of who is doing it, as we can.  I'll be at both games, not expecting to win either, but hoping to let folks on the recruiting trail, potential coach candidates and a national (if they want to watch) TV audience, see what MU has and can be for them.

I know what you are saying but I still disagree. I think a strong signal needs to be sent to Spears that it's a new coach or else. Would it be worth it to possibly be the reason that Danny gets another year or two if the stands are full? That is by far the #1 thing that will cause a change if the seats are empty. I personally don't care about Danny's recruits. I want someone else doing the recruiting. And don't think these two games are going to make a difference to a new coach. They do their homework and know what the fanbase is and can be.
    « Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 08:45:49 PM by herdorbust2 »

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, ru4mu2, herdfan129, Herdalum94

Offline MUther

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2024, 09:07:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you're really going to throw all your eggs into the tournament basket, then you play the most brutal schedule you can put together, win, lose, or draw.  That's it.  You get your players so used to playing tough games that the tournament seems easy.  Sliding on an easy schedule doesn't do crapall and losing some of those cupcake games does more to shake confidence than winning them does to boost it.  You think these guys don't know when they're playing a trash team?

The following users thanked this post: svherd, whf, puma, herdfan129, Herdalum94

Online svherd

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2024, 09:08:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Spears does let DD continue after this season, assuming we don't have a miracle run, I'll jump on board with the rest of you in thinking he is not the AD for us. Either that or the higher ups have told him that Dan stays as long as Dan wants. Thus, if he dismisses Dan, he will be fired. It's a real sticky wicket. I said this could get messy if Dan doesn't leave on his own, and it looks like it may just get messy for many around MU. Sad.

But if Dan, Mike, Kathy and those close to them, don't see how this is actually harming MU; not helping, then shame on them. They really don't love MU the way they say. Talk is cheap. 

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan93, ru4mu2, Flat Tire 2, coalherd, herdfan129, herdorbust2

Online FilmJunky

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2024, 09:27:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Disgusting and just goes to show they aren't serious about basketball. Wouldn't it be fun to have a miracle and go in as a #16 seed? IMO Spears needs to pack his bags also if he doesn't have the balls to do what is right for the fanbase.

Finally someone is seeing what I've said all along...Spears is a joke

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Online FilmJunky

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2024, 09:30:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Let's not forget Spears released a statement after the last football game that sounded like he fired Huff and in the next sentence said Huff would return. I'm not sure who is in charge of his accounts but they could use a class in PR 101.

Regardless if this is what you actually think, putting a statement like this out to the public is encouraging. I don't disagree with the statement as the SBC is a 1 big league, but you have to know when and when not to say certain things.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2024, 09:48:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Spears does let DD continue after this season, assuming we don't have a miracle run, I'll jump on board with the rest of you in thinking he is not the AD for us. Either that or the higher ups have told him that Dan stays as long as Dan wants. Thus, if he dismisses Dan, he will be fired. It's a real sticky wicket. I said this could get messy if Dan doesn't leave on his own, and it looks like it may just get messy for many around MU. Sad.

But if Dan, Mike, Kathy and those close to them, don't see how this is actually harming MU; not helping, then shame on them. They really don't love MU the way they say. Talk is cheap.

I agree. How can you love MU the way they say and hold a school hostage? It is now looking like 2 of the last 3 years will be bad losing seasons. 12-21 and probably about 14-18. How is that helping Marshall?

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Rockin Herd Fan, coalherd, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2024, 10:01:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • To get rid of Dan you?re going to have to get the Danette?s on board then get rid of charter flights. 

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Offline tnherdfan

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Member Since 04/2012
    « Reply #21 on: February 19, 2024, 10:02:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We could very easily be a one and done in the tourney. I'll go a bit further and say that it's damned likely.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, herdfan129, Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2024, 10:02:09 AM »

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2024, 10:16:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I will vent one more time. Marshall has made more than its share of bad coaching hires. Old timers will remember the hiring of Stewart Way as basketball coach when Ellis Johnson was forced out. Way was an assistant to Johnson and was a high school coach at Huntington High. Social connections to influential MU alums got him the job. By the way, Way was a way better high school coach than Dan with building one of the best WV high school programs and sending players to MU; wvu and VA Tech.

The Mark Snyder hire due an influential alum. Some really bad hires in the past; Frank Ellwood who was an assistant at Ohio U for nine years and Sonny, somebody didn't do research on Sonny previous time at UVA. Freeman and letting Billy Donovan push Jones into the head coaching job.  Jones wasn't the worst hire, but we let his former boss do the hiring. 

The point is that when Marshall has had a good and strong AD, we hired quality coaches for the most part. The good AD moved on to better jobs. I guess we will see what type of AD Spears is with how he handles the Dan situation.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93, herdorbust2, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline banker

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2024, 10:30:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

To help recruit what, two more slow, skinny, scarecrows that can?t shoot?  A couple more kids to ride the bench at a cost of $40,000 a year to the Big Green?

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, wlf, coalherd, herdfan129, Herdalum94, herdorbust2, Lord Haw-Haw

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2024, 10:35:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We could very easily be a one and done in the tourney. I'll go a bit further and say that it's damned likely.

We will have to win at least 4 games. We may pull out one win if we get the right matchup. But then we will be done. This is probably the worst team structure that Dan has put on the court in his ten years. Martin was a good pickup but is a zero threat outside for Dan's offense. Obinna has a lot of athletic ability but like a wild deer after drinking a case of Mountain Dew. Conner has a good feel for the game but is way to passive and slow to defend guards. Curfman is a one trick pony and if he isn't hitting then he is a liability. Voyles is solid but not a PG. which brings us back to the main reason for this disaster. Dan didn't think he needed a PG and thought he could come up with the gimmick of a 6'10" PG with 2 small shooting guards. So we have a team without a PG and also a team that is 13th out of 14 teams shooting the 3 which is what Dan preaches. Then we have all this length trying to guard quick guards out front that blows right by them. It's truly amazing how he could put together this roster and actually thought he would have a good team. Clean house!!!

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop, wlf, herdfan129, Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2024, 10:35:07 AM »