Author Topic: #2 Marshall Soccer Plays High Point in Huntington Tonight @ 7 on ESPN+  (Read 549 times)

Offline saherdfan

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Guys/Gals, we should really support this team.  Grassie is really doing a phenomenal job here at MU.  He is putting the Herd in the top 5-10 year in and year out.  We should appreciate this effort more.  Lets show up and show out.  I will be at Hoops Family Field @ 7 for the game.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, sardistim, whf, The E-Man, luckytoes99, elginherd, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

Offline bigwormy

Re: #2 Marshall Soccer Plays High Point in Huntington Tonight @ 7 on ESPN+
    « Reply #1 on: September 08, 2023, 10:47:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He is doing a great job I just can?t watch soccer. Way to boring. Good luck to the soccer team!
    if you want more oil at a cheaper price vote republican. if you want the same amount of oil in current supply at a higher price, vote democrat and for a windfall profit tax!

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, mu79grad

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #2 on: September 08, 2023, 10:47:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm flying up today for soccer and football

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: Thundering In MD, Big City, parshall2marshall, svherd, chris88, The E-Man, luckytoes99

Offline saherdfan

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2023, 11:01:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Soccer is much better in person.  Watching it on TV is a little hard for me to.  Non soccer fans should really go to a game to just see what its all about.  You may just surprise yourself and get into it more.  We should really cherish what Grassie is doing.  The SBC is consistently one of the best soccer conferences in the country. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, svherd, The E-Man, puma, herdfan129

Offline chris88

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2023, 11:11:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This years team is so much fun to watch.  The offense is dynamic and anything but boring
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, luckytoes99

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2023, 11:21:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Soccer is much better in person.  Watching it on TV is a little hard for me to.  Non soccer fans should really go to a game to just see what its all about.  You may just surprise yourself and get into it more.  We should really cherish what Grassie is doing.  The SBC is consistently one of the best soccer conferences in the country.
    e game

I know what you are saying is the common wisdom among soccer fans.  I disagree, I went to the MU vrs JMU and MU vrs VaTech games at JMU a couple of years ago when we played in their early season tournament.  I found it no more enjoyable than watchi8ng on the tube.  In fact I found it less interesting than TV for two reasons.  1) As some one who knows little about soccer, TV commentators help with understanding the game. 2) On TV at home I can actually watch and do something productive around the house.

As a life long Herd fan, I'll watch the game on ESPN tonight so I can cheer for my school, but I'll never really enjoy soccer the way I enjoy real football or basketball.

Different strokes for different folks.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1

Offline puma

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2023, 11:31:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

The single fixed camera on TV really doesn't do the sport justice.

The Pitt game last season was my first game in person and I had a blast. There's such a good energy there. It's a small crowd compared to football but it's young, energetic, and loud. I've been to a bunch of games since then. If I don't know what's going on (which is often), I'll just ask the die-hards around me. It's a real good atmosphere.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, sardistim, parshall2marshall, chris88, luckytoes99, herdfan129

Offline chris88

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2023, 11:45:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Guys/Gals, we should really support this team.  Grassie is really doing a phenomenal job here at MU.  He is putting the Herd in the top 5-10 year in and year out.  We should appreciate this effort more.  Lets show up and show out.  I will be at Hoops Family Field @ 7 for the game.

Well looks like new fans are starting to emerge.  Our attendance figures are up overall even with the jump provided by #2 Pitt (1,879) last year (ave 1447 vs 1,393 through 3 matches). We won't make up the WVU crowd of 2,735 from last season (although we have UK coming later) but minus that match the attendance average will likely be better for season.  Tonight's match vs High Point, for example, only shows 33 reserve seats available and 13 of those are singles. On the non-reserve side it is showing low availability. The presale is exceeding what it was for Xavier game last week which drew 1,713, so we might see a sellout tonight with SRO. High Point hasn't played in over a week and has had plenty of time to prepare. They made NCAA tourney last year and took out UNC in first match.  With JMU on road looming next Saturday we cannot take next two lightly as Cleveland State also made NCAA last year and was picked first in Horizon. MU also offering bus trip to WVU match in October. $100 covers t-shirt and transportation.
    « Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 11:48:11 AM by chris88 »
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline svherd

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2023, 11:47:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He is doing a great job I just can?t watch soccer. Way to boring. Good luck to the soccer team!

But you can watch our offense on the football field? Lol!

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: pembrook burrows III, herdfan129

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2023, 11:57:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am going to my first soccer match this evening with elgin herd.

TRS
    MU 71

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, sardistim, parshall2marshall, svherd, chris88, overherd1, herdfan129

Offline pricherd

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2023, 12:14:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Looking forward to tonight's game and hope we have a great turnout.  This team has all the tools to go far in the NCAA tournament.

I saw the notice about the bus to the WVU match; that would be a blast to have a bunch of Herd fans invade Morgantown.  I already have tickets and plan to drive up for the game.  Has anyone been to a MU/WVU game in Morgantown?  I wondered if the Mountaineer fans are as rude at a soccer match as they are at football games.  I went to see one Herd/WVU football game in Morgantown and swore never to go to another one.  Rude fans and horrible traffic (not to mention the fact the Herd got stomped).

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline luckytoes99

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2023, 12:29:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am going to my first soccer match this evening with elgin herd.

TRS
    MU 71

Great. Hope you enjoy it. I attended MU matches beforehand, but I got hooked during the 2019 season. I?m a longtime football fan but I much prefer attending an MU soccer match over an MU football game for a host of reasons.

As Chris alludes, High Point will be a quality opponent. They have played well so far this season. They were picked first in the Big South and have many preseason all conference players. Should be a good match.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2023, 12:29:01 PM »

Offline svherd

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2023, 02:33:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just got an extra ticket for my daughter. Other than a few seats on the other side of the field, looks close to a packed house tonight. Go Herd!

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2023, 04:13:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Go Herd

Offline whf

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2023, 05:12:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I still have two digital tickets in 103, seat backed seating; anyone want them?

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline saherdfan

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2023, 10:24:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • e game

I know what you are saying is the common wisdom among soccer fans.  I disagree, I went to the MU vrs JMU and MU vrs VaTech games at JMU a couple of years ago when we played in their early season tournament.  I found it no more enjoyable than watchi8ng on the tube.  In fact I found it less interesting than TV for two reasons.  1) As some one who knows little about soccer, TV commentators help with understanding the game. 2) On TV at home I can actually watch and do something productive around the house.

As a life long Herd fan, I'll watch the game on ESPN tonight so I can cheer for my school, but I'll never really enjoy soccer the way I enjoy real football or basketball.

Different strokes for different folks.
    Probably never going to be able to root of a Marshall #2 ranked football or basketball team.  Just saying this doesn't come around vary often.  We should try to enjoy it while its here. 

The following users thanked this post: chris88, herdfan129

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2023, 10:28:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I never played or even watched soccer until 3-4 years ago. I think the first game I ever watched was the NCAAT game we played the first year we made the tournament.

Having said that, soccer is a lot more fun to watch than football. There?s not a commercial break every 2-3 minutes, there?s not mass chaos with a DJ, band, cheerleaders, PA announcer, and crowd all trying to compete with each other.

It?s non stop action and the crowd is allowed to get in to the game and participate.

I?m a football junkie but there?s a lot of things ruining the game. I think in 20-30 years it?s very possible soccer is either the main sport or one of the main sports in the US. Im glad we are investing in it now.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: chris88, luckytoes99

Online Herdalum83

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2023, 10:34:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I never played or even watched soccer until 3-4 years ago. I think the first game I ever watched was the NCAAT game we played the first year we made the tournament.

Having said that, soccer is a lot more fun to watch than football. There?s not a commercial break every 2-3 minutes, there?s not mass chaos with a DJ, band, cheerleaders, PA announcer, and crowd all trying to compete with each other.

It?s non stop action and the crowd is allowed to get in to the game and participate.

I?m a football junkie but there?s a lot of things ruining the game. I think in 20-30 years it?s very possible soccer is either the main sport or one of the main sports in the US. Im glad we are investing in it now.

College football is getting hard to watch with all of the TV timeouts that's for sure. I saw a breakdown someone did the other day of the week one games that were broadcasted on TV and on average according to their breakdown there were like 53 minutes of ads between the opening kick and the game clock expiring so it wasn't even counting pregame and post-game commercials and there was still nearly an hour of time devoted to ad on AVERAGE per game. Craziness. 

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2023, 10:46:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Tough 2-1 win tonight. High Point was no pushover and they came to play. Probably a little bit of a letdown game on our part after the big win at Pitt just three days ago.

But we got the dub which is all that matters. If I counted right, there's only 7 undefeated, untied teams left in the country.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, elginherd, herdfan129

Offline elginherd

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2023, 11:31:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Tough 2-1 win tonight. High Point was no pushover and they came to play. Probably a little bit of a letdown game on our part after the big win at Pitt just three days ago.

But we got the dub which is all that matters. If I counted right, there's only 7 undefeated, untied teams left in the country.

I attended the match with TRS & my daughter. I will watch it again on ESPN+ at some ppint tomorrow.

A couple of my overreactions:
    -HP's team was more skilled overall than Pitt's. They also had some very fast and quick attackers.
    -In the second half of the second half, what's with all the short passes in traffic in front of our own goal? There were a few near disasters.
    -HP's goal had a beautiful assist. BUT our sweeper (or whatever that position is called now) had the opportunityto kick that ball out of the endline. Giving up a corner kick isn't the worst thing in the world.
    -I don't think that Bell's assist on the second goal can be appreciated on the telecast, though I will look. Live it was an incredible pass.
    -Our kits: I do like the green strips. However, the numbers are nearly impossible to discern from the stands. Would it be possible for the numbers to be more visible?

It was a good win, an enjoyable experience with nearly perfect weather.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan129

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2023, 12:58:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • College football is getting hard to watch with all of the TV timeouts that's for sure. I saw a breakdown someone did the other day of the week one games that were broadcasted on TV and on average according to their breakdown there were like 53 minutes of ads between the opening kick and the game clock expiring so it wasn't even counting pregame and post-game commercials and there was still nearly an hour of time devoted to ad on AVERAGE per game. Craziness.

Goodness gracious thats a LOT. It's seriously ruining the game in so many ways. Those in attendance have to sit through that. Those watching on TV can go do something I suppose, but it still takes up a lot more TIME. It's made it difficult for me to watch most games not involving Marshall.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2023, 12:22:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really enjoyed the match last night.  It was my first contest in my life.  You can really appreciate the game much more in person. Elgin and his daughter were very enjoyable company.  I too thought  the passing in close to our net seemed so haphazzard.  I could see disaster happening any minute.  I hope to see another game with my friends.

TRS
    MU 71

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, luckytoes99, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2023, 12:22:24 PM »