Author Topic: WVU soccer to cusa...  (Read 1692 times)

Offline MUther

Re: WVU soccer to cusa...
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2021, 03:55:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Baylor won the National Championship in basketball and they lost two games during the regular season, it happens. Baylor is still the champion because they won when it counted. wvu was not invited to the soccer tournament.  MU won when it counted and won the National Championship. MU beat the Number 1 seed and defending national champion on the way to the title. Marshall had probably the most difficult path to the National Championship. That is all that matters. End of story.

My degree is from Marshall and I am proud of it. I am not going to let anyone diminish our accomplishment. The first time we won the 1-AA National Championship we lost to WCU; Appy State and Missouri; should we not be happy about that National Championship? I guess some posters might think otherwise?

wvu is in for a rude awaking when they start play in CUSA. CUSA Soccer > MAC Soccer. I wouldn't surprised to see wvu leave CUSA soccer after a few season, they will get tired of losing to Marshall.

There is also a difference of magnitude between losing to WCU, Appy, and Missouri vs losing to WVU.  None of those other schools condescend us like WVU does.  No one says we have to win every game.  But we did lose to WVU.  In the best year we've had in any sport ever in the history of the damn university we lost to those sonsabitches, again.  We can appreciate our title and be happy as hell about it, but we don't get to strut about how much better we are than them when they join our league.  They have scoreboard on us.  If you can't understand that, there's nothing more I can do for you.

If we get them in football and we have the choice to either get the access bowl but lose to WVU in football or fall short for the access bowl and beat WVU, which do you pick?  I think you know my answer...and I'm not talking about playoffs, I'm talking about just an access bowl as it is now.  I'm smacking that ass and heading to Boca, again.

The following users thanked this post: THECHAMPISHERE

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2021, 03:55:49 AM »

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2021, 06:12:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Didn't forget anything.  Changes nothing about what I said.  They still beat us in our best year so far.  I was referring to the "we'll kick their ass" type posts.  I hope so.  Like I said I'm tired of losing to them in anything.  If we have to play them we better beat them.  Especially in conference.  If they'd been in CUSA last year they likely would have won it with wins over us and Charlotte.

We went thru hell, beat the best teams in the country, and won a national championship.  And those mfers still get to say they beat Marshall and they beat the national champions.  And that irks me to no end.  Almost to the point that I'd rather beat them than all the rest of it...almost.  But I hate them that much.  I realize some don't.

Marshall played with 10 players and without a few starters in the Wv game this year.  It Was not the true Herd team.  And we still outshot them with backups and down a man.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93, chris88, Flat Tire 2, The E-Man

Online CoachMaclid

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2021, 11:33:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall played with 10 players and without a few starters in the Wv game this year.  It Was not the true Herd team.  And we still outshot them with backups and down a man.

I think you are confusing the Akron and WVU games.  It was against Akron that we got an early red card and played down 10 men almost the entire match (70+ minutes).  Of course, Akron was ranked at the time, but they had one more good win right after us beating eventual MAC champ BG, but then their season tanked.

WVU just flat beat us, they found the spot behind our D that their forward was able to put above our keeper.  Believe it or not, the 1927 Yankees and Jordan's Bulls lost games, too.

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison

Online luckytoes99

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2021, 12:51:45 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes. WVU beat us 1-0. However, we thoroughly dominated them statistically and even the well informed WVU announcers even mentioned it as such. Like most of the matches this past season, we had trouble putting the ball in the net. Outside of WVU Tech we had no match where we scored more than 2 goals. The season before, we had many matches where we scored more than 2 goals. I think the difference in scoring was our increased ball control (especially in the final 3rd of the pitch) that led to fewer counter attacks with better opportunities to score. Lack of goal scoring will certainly be an emphasis for improvement this coming season.   

I kind of equate the WVU loss to the MBB wins we had over ranked WVU teams during Jirsa's years. We got to boast that we beat a ranked WVU team (which these teams had some NCAA tournament success) but in reality it didn't mean anything in the whole scope of things. Yes, WVU won this year but we won a National Championship which they can't claim with any of their spectator sports. They can boast all they want but they didn't receive the final prize or get a star on their jersey for all time. 

I think many long term fans would agree that we have wanted equal footing / treatment with WVU. We are never going to get that with Football or MBB. Now we have that opportunity in men's soccer. They can't avoid us. This will grow into a healthy rivalry which gives our squad more emphasis to win this game.

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison, svherd, chris88, Flat Tire 2, The E-Man

Online 2xBison

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2021, 01:11:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes. WVU beat us 1-0. However, we thoroughly dominated them statistically and even the well informed WVU announcers even mentioned it as such. Like most of the matches this past season, we had trouble putting the ball in the net. Outside of WVU Tech we had no match where we scored more than 2 goals. The season before, we had many matches where we scored more than 2 goals. I think the difference in scoring was our increased ball control (especially in the final 3rd of the pitch) that led to fewer counter attacks with better opportunities to score. Lack of goal scoring will certainly be an emphasis for improvement this coming season.   

I kind of equate the WVU loss to the MBB wins we had over ranked WVU teams during Jirsa's years. We got to boast that we beat a ranked WVU team (which these teams had some NCAA tournament success) but in reality it didn't mean anything in the whole scope of things. Yes, WVU won this year but we won a National Championship which they can't claim with any of their spectator sports. They can boast all they want but they didn't receive the final prize or get a star on their jersey for all time. 

I think many long term fans would agree that we have wanted equal footing / treatment with WVU. We are never going to get that with Football or MBB. Now we have that opportunity in men's soccer. They can't avoid us. This will grow into a healthy rivalry which gives our squad more emphasis to win this game.

thanks for the context.  I attended this game in Morgantown and was shocked that anyone would say "they just flat beat us".  If that means fair and square and not a man down due to red card then fine, correct.  But your additional context is what I recall, a better team that dominated lost the game which does happen in soccer.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline bighat

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2021, 01:13:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They can shoot better than us.  And I am not talking about soccer

Online CoachMaclid

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2021, 01:25:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • thanks for the context.  I attended this game in Morgantown and was shocked that anyone would say "they just flat beat us".  If that means fair and square and not a man down due to red card then fine, correct.  But your additional context is what I recall, a better team that dominated lost the game which does happen in soccer.

Yes, my comment about they "just flat beat us" was not meant to mean they dominated, but that they simply found the goal and escaped with a win, which happens from time to time in soccer.  I don't think we need to find excuses for that game, they simply found the net that night and we didn't.
    « Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 01:33:10 PM by CoachMaclid »

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #32 on: June 15, 2021, 01:28:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No one outside of West Virginia gives a F about wvu in any sport or anything else for that matter

Marshall is the National Champion in soccer

No one in college soccer can ignore Marshall, as we are all that matters

Go Herd!
    « Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 08:56:12 PM by Garbanjo »

The following users thanked this post: sardistim, mr_ash_1995, 2xBison, parshall2marshall, svherd, Collis P, The E-Man, luckytoes99

Online 2xBison

WVU soccer to cusa...
    « Reply #33 on: June 15, 2021, 03:47:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • G Banjo nasty today!!  I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline coalherd

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2021, 04:57:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How many National Championships does WVU have?

Ummm, last I looked it was a few in rifle and one in tiddledywinks, I believe!!

Online HerdEcon

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2021, 05:53:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Ummm, last I looked it was a few in rifle and one in tiddledywinks, I believe!!

Aren't there only 32 NCAA sanctioned rifle teams?  At least 6 of those schools aren't Div I schools but the NCAA allows them to compete for the NCAA championship because there are so few teams/schools.  Considerably different to win a championship in rifle vs. a more competitive sport such as men's soccer. 

WVU Rifle was reduced to a club sport in 2014 but reinstated in 2015 thanks to "eer" marked funding for the WVU rifle team by the WV Legislature.  Throw that tid bit out next time someone claims the WVU athletic department is self sufficient financially.   

The following users thanked this post: svherd, luckytoes99

Online svherd

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2021, 08:12:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yep, Rifle doesn't count. A stated, the WV Legislature fully supports the WVU Rifle team these days.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2021, 08:12:09 AM »

Offline sardistim

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2021, 10:38:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Any thing to make CUSA's soccer league stronger and increase our profile is good. 

CUSA has the DEFENDING National Champs heading into the fall.  Three regular Top 25 teams--Kentucky, Charlotte and FIU.  And now they are adding Coastal Carolina--a top 25 team and NCAA tourney team last year--and WVU.

That's going to make a strong 10-team league, arguably the 3rd strongest in the country behind the ACC and the Pac 12.  Having Kentucky, WVU, South Carolina and Charlotte playing in Huntington every other year will be good for soccer attendance.  And may help us get Ohio State, Pitt, Virginia Tech and other top regional teams playing here.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, parshall2marshall, svherd, bighat, The E-Man, elginherd

Online wasbarryb

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2021, 12:49:48 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don?t like it.

The chickeneers have never done anything to help MU, and arguably have gone out of their way to hurt us.  This move only serves to potentially help the pouty program., They bring little to the overall perception of the league and can only benefit if they do well, and that undoubtedly will be at the expense of Marshall.

Either MU has little clout in what happens in C-USA or we have committed one of the greatest brain farts in our history.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, 2xBison, The E-Man, herdfan129

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #39 on: June 16, 2021, 01:32:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don?t like it.

The chickeneers have never done anything to help MU, and arguably have gone out of their way to hurt us.  This move only serves to potentially help the pouty program., They bring little to the overall perception of the league and can only benefit if they do well, and that undoubtedly will be at the expense of Marshall.

Either MU has little clout in what happens in C-USA or we have committed one of the greatest brain farts in our history.

I hate helping that hilltrash as well, as being associated with the National Champion will help any team lol, but it?s done now

Have to smash their arses

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: svherd, The E-Man, herdfan129

Offline coalherd

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2021, 01:42:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Any thing to make CUSA's soccer league stronger and increase our profile is good. 

CUSA has the DEFENDING National Champs heading into the fall.  Three regular Top 25 teams--Kentucky, Charlotte and FIU.  And now they are adding Coastal Carolina--a top 25 team and NCAA tourney team last year--and WVU.

That's going to make a strong 10-team league, arguably the 3rd strongest in the country behind the ACC and the Pac 12.  Having Kentucky, WVU, South Carolina and Charlotte playing in Huntington every other year will be good for soccer attendance.  And may help us get Ohio State, Pitt, Virginia Tech and other top regional teams playing here.

Yep, some may howl and protest, but fact remains that WVU Soccer is not just another program.  They have been to the Championship tournament something like a dozen times or more over the years.  Not exactly newcomers.  Definitely aids in making CUSA one of the Big Three in Men's Soccer, as stated!!

Offline chris88

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2021, 12:58:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

First glance I thought adding WVU was not a positive. After reading some of the posts I changed my mind. They have a chance to be a good addition and the attendance boost will be noticeable.  If this includes the women's teams too it will be good as well. They have a really good coach and have had a good bit of NCAA tourney success...including a trip to final four.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Online Luke80

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2021, 01:40:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I cannot stand WVU - but this is a really good thing.  Great sporting events need great rivalries and this will become a great rivalry.  Unlike other sports we have the upper hand - WVU has not won a National Championship. They don't have a choice in soccer to do anything but treat us with respect.  Clearly they don't do that in BB, FB or really anything else.

The following users thanked this post: sardistim, The E-Man

Offline muherdfan

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2021, 12:30:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good addition. But I just bought a shirt said National Champion!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2021, 12:30:47 AM »