Author Topic: #11 MU vs #22 FIU - Men?s Soccer  (Read 913 times)

Offline herdfan129

Re: #11 MU vs #22 FIU - Men?s Soccer
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2021, 07:49:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It?s a great game to watch once you learn the rules, formations, runs, etc. This team is the closest thing we will have to being  big time than any other Marshall sport. Grassie is the real deal.

I still don't know ANY of the formations, plays, or half the rules...but it's a lot more fun to watch than I was expecting. I'll be watching again in the future.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: svherd, luckytoes99

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2021, 07:49:39 PM »

Online overherd1

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2021, 08:19:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?ve watched a good bit of soccer. Have seen us play in person 3 or 4 times.  We are fun to watch and pass the ball well.  Have to agree, this is currently our best program on a national level.  Someone did a good job getting our coach.

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #27 on: March 13, 2021, 09:19:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great win

Go Herd!

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2021, 09:50:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bust, I think if you watch the Herd play a few matches you would grow to enjoy Herd soccer. The style (outstanding passing and ball control, attacking offense, good defense, etc.) is somewhat similar to the style of game that Dantoni has tried to implement for MBB. The difference is the soccer team plays very well together at a higher level, are consistent in their play, have better athletes for the sport, and probably are better coached.

The way they play, each match is fun to watch regardless if they win. Unfortunately the BB team isn?t consistent and can be quite frustrating to watch at times. This is from someone who wouldn?t miss watching or listening to Herd basketball from the 70s onward.

As others noted, as much as we dominated, with a little bad luck we could have lost in regulation. Sometimes you need the ball to bounce your way.

With that said, it is not inconceivable that this team could make it to the final eight or even the final four this year. Without the early red card against Akron we could be undefeated at this point. Akron played in the NCAA championship match a few years ago and is highly ranked this year.

I just get so frustrated watching the ball go down the field thinking there will be a shot at the goal and then it?s back the other way. It would be like basketball and both teams just keep stealing the ball without ever getting shots up. But I am glad we have a ranked soccer team and hope they have tremendous success. And I actually would like to give it a shot in person someday.

Offline sardistim

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2021, 11:02:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you've never, or hardly ever, watched soccer, it does take a little getting used to if you are used to football and basketball.

On the one hand, like today, you can watch 90 minutes--a full match--and still have a 0-0 tie (before the OT) and you can think, "Nothing happened."  And yet on the other hand, if you get up and go to the kitchen, or the concession stand if in person, you better turn the volume up because a goal can come at practically any moment, which it did today for the win.  Even when the ball just crosses the midfield line, it can be in the back of the net in 5-10 seconds.  Marshall had 28 shots today, meaning they took a shot nearly every 3 minutes.  And that doesn't count the number of times when we had corner kicks, or passes into the box, that were setting up scoring opportunities, but shots never materialized.  Practically ever other minute Marshall was on the verge of scoring, and yet, it is still so hard to get the ball in the back of the net.

It's as if Marshall's football team was at midfield 28 times in a game, and Grant Wells throws 28 bombs in the end zone and everyone in attendance stands up watching the ball hoping, hoping, and at the last second the defender knocks it away, or it sails just long, and everyone collectively sits down with a loud, "Ohhh."  And after awhile it's a little exhausting to get your hopes up and then sit back down disappointed.  So, I get it, it can take a while to get used to.

But if you'd ever be inclined to try, this Marshall team (and last year's) and what I hope will be several years in the future with this coach is really fun soccer to watch.  Thursday's game at Kentucky will be on ESPN+.  #10 vs. #11. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, gochneaur645, luckytoes99, herdfan129

Offline bighat

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2021, 12:19:51 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yellow cards also accumulate and when you get 5 cards you have to set out a game.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline whf

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2021, 07:51:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It seems to me to like soccer, which I seriously do, you have to have one of the following experiences and/or understanding?

1. A kid who played from the time they were 4 or 5 years old, and you had to learn the game to understand why they kept coming back.
    2. Coach your own kid, and watch them develop some in-depth skills doing things with a ball that many people can't even do with their hands; and with a shoe on too (By the way, their shoes are called "boots")
    3.  Kind of like hockey, but didn't live in cold weather...
    « Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 10:04:48 PM by whf »

Offline elginherd

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2021, 09:04:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It seems to me to like soccer, which I seriously do, you have to have one of the following experiences and/or understanding?

1. A kid who paid from the time they were 4 or 5 years old, and you had to learn the game to understand why they kept coing back.
    2. Coach your own kid, and watch them develop some in-depth skills doing things with a ball that many people can't even do with their hands; and with a shoe on too (By the way, their shoes are called "boots")
    3.  Kind of like hockey, but didn't live in cold weather...

I'll add a 4th:
    4. Watch a match with highly skilled players live.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: whf, luckytoes99

HerdFans.com

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2021, 09:04:17 PM »