Author Topic: All this for what?  (Read 1003 times)

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

All this for what?
« on: August 10, 2020, 04:48:08 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]2
  • So that people who were going to die this year anyway don't die?

This virus rarely gives healthy kids problems.
    This virus rarely gives healthy teens problems.
    This virus rarely gives healthy 20 & 30 somethings problems.
    This virus rarely gives the 40 to 60 crowd problems.
    This virus IS REALLY HARD on people over 70 who already have a debilitating illness.

What are we ultimately doing and who are we ultimately saving with all of this? I know a person who died from COVID. He was barely hanging on by a thread BEFORE he got it...he could have easily died of the flu or anything else this year. I know a person who is in her 70's who has had cancer before and who has it...she is probably going to be FINE.

Last I heard the VAST majority of people who get this have symptoms so mild that they don't even know they have it.

The last I heard the mortality rate is now about what the flu has been (even with the exaggerated numbers...of calling every death COVID...which this shady practice has been confirmed).

So again...we are shutting the world down for what?

I don't understand why we don't just have a strict quarantine for the elderly and let everyone else develop some herd immunity.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, whf, Herdmeister, ed swain, Gaylen, herdorbust, JReese

HerdFans.com

All this for what?
    « on: August 10, 2020, 04:48:08 PM »

Offline whf

Re: All this for what?
    « Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 05:32:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

This virus IS REALLY HARD on people over 70 who already have a debilitating illness.

What are we ultimately doing and who are we ultimately saving with all of this? I know a person who died from COVID. He was barely hanging on by a thread BEFORE he got it...he could have easily died of the flu or anything else this year. I know a person who is in her 70's who has had cancer before and who has it...she is probably going to be FINE.

Last I heard the VAST majority of people who get this have symptoms so mild that they don't even know they have it.

The last I heard the mortality rate is now about what the flu has been (even with the exaggerated numbers...of calling every death COVID...which this shady practice has been confirmed).

I don't understand why we don't just have a strict quarantine for the elderly and let everyone else develop some herd immunity.
    [/quoteDoing things selectively is much harder than providing general edicts that apply to us all.  But it would work much better and have grander support.  It is possible that panic for need for speed created the inability to act with discernment.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 05:36:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1

[/quoteDoing things selectively is much harder than providing general edicts that apply to us all.  But it would work much better and have grander support.  It is possible that panic for need for speed created the inability to act with discernment.

Agree 100% WHF.

Offline sardistim

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 06:31:30 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0

I get your frustration.  The past five months have sucked, and there's no light at the end of the tunnel, yet.  And if college football is canceled this fall, it will suck a little more.

The number of deaths in the US this year, however, would seem to indicate that COVID is mostly killing people who would not have died this year.  Maybe many would have died in two years, or four, or six--I don't know of a way to test that out except to watch over the course of the next few years to see if the number of annual deaths slightly decreases over the next few years.  What the numbers do show is that most high populous states have had a significant increase of deaths so far this year compared to deaths in the past decade--which indicates that COVID is killing people who probably would not have died this year.

Then, there is the matter of lingering illness from this.  Like many of you, I now know a dozen plus friends who've gotten COVID--all young or middle age and healthy.  While most had nothing more than a bad case of the flu, I have two friends that are still struggling two months into this.  There are reports that some people may end up with permanent heart or lung issues with this.  Can this be confirmed?  No, not until we all live years into the future.  But shouldn't it be taken into account?

By the time -- in five years or ten -- researchers finally nail down the death rate of COVID-19, it may turn out to be not much worse than the flu.  But the big difference is that nobody has ever had this before and no vaccine was available for the vulnerable to take.  As Northern Italy, NYC, and more recently Houston and parts of Mississippi found out, when too many people get sick at the same time we do not have the resources--hospital beds, ICU beds, ventilators, etc--to care for everyone.

Quarantining the elderly and vulnerable and keeping things more of the same for everyone else is the strategy Sweden tried.  Their death rates per capita I recently saw was worse than ours and their economy wasn't doing any better.  Herd immunity, even at the fast pace we are spreading this virus in the US, will take around 18-30 more months at the rate we are going.  And we can't go much faster or we get NYC in March or Houston in July.

All that is to say that the decisions Republican and Democratic governors and mayors, liberal and conservative CEO's and college presidents are making is saving tens to hundreds of thousands of lives and the well-being of many more.  I think it is worth it.  But it still sucks.

Offline Gaylen

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 06:39:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Champ. you and I often disagree. But not this time. I am in the "old coot with problems" categories and I practice safety accordingly.
    But you can't stay hunkered down forever so people need to start living their lives.
    And let's play ball.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, ed swain, THECHAMPISHERE, herdorbust, JReese

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 07:14:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I get your frustration.  The past five months have sucked, and there's no light at the end of the tunnel, yet.  And if college football is canceled this fall, it will suck a little more.

The number of deaths in the US this year, however, would seem to indicate that COVID is mostly killing people who would not have died this year.  Maybe many would have died in two years, or four, or six--I don't know of a way to test that out except to watch over the course of the next few years to see if the number of annual deaths slightly decreases over the next few years.  What the numbers do show is that most high populous states have had a significant increase of deaths so far this year compared to deaths in the past decade--which indicates that COVID is killing people who probably would not have died this year.

Then, there is the matter of lingering illness from this.  Like many of you, I now know a dozen plus friends who've gotten COVID--all young or middle age and healthy.  While most had nothing more than a bad case of the flu, I have two friends that are still struggling two months into this.  There are reports that some people may end up with permanent heart or lung issues with this.  Can this be confirmed?  No, not until we all live years into the future.  But shouldn't it be taken into account?

By the time -- in five years or ten -- researchers finally nail down the death rate of COVID-19, it may turn out to be not much worse than the flu.  But the big difference is that nobody has ever had this before and no vaccine was available for the vulnerable to take.  As Northern Italy, NYC, and more recently Houston and parts of Mississippi found out, when too many people get sick at the same time we do not have the resources--hospital beds, ICU beds, ventilators, etc--to care for everyone.

Quarantining the elderly and vulnerable and keeping things more of the same for everyone else is the strategy Sweden tried.  Their death rates per capita I recently saw was worse than ours and their economy wasn't doing any better.  Herd immunity, even at the fast pace we are spreading this virus in the US, will take around 18-30 more months at the rate we are going.  And we can't go much faster or we get NYC in March or Houston in July.

All that is to say that the decisions Republican and Democratic governors and mayors, liberal and conservative CEO's and college presidents are making is saving tens to hundreds of thousands of lives and the well-being of many more.  I think it is worth it.  But it still sucks.
    I don't agree or disagree with anything you say. What I am saying is I am nearly 72 and I don't personally know a single soul that has knowingly had the virus
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: Taft#1, Flat Tire 2

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 07:45:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't agree or disagree with anything you say. What I am saying is I am nearly 72 and I don't personally know a single soul that has knowingly had the virus

I’ve known 1 person. I just don’t understand why this is the only deaths that matter? The other poster said because of this those deaths didn’t have to happen. True, but you could say that about anything. Car wrecks, cancer, suicide, war, accidents, flu, illegals that have killed Americans, or gangs in cities that kill everyday. All of these and more deaths can be controlled much better. Where is the outrage? That is what I can’t figure out!!!

The following users thanked this post: JReese

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 07:50:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Inovio has the vaccine.  But govt won’t support them.  Best and safest out there.

Online herdfifteen

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 07:55:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't agree or disagree with anything you say. What I am saying is I am nearly 72 and I don't personally know a single soul that has knowingly had the virus
    Same here, I play golf at a municipal course three times a week, and I, nor any of my friends know one person who has knowingly had it.

The following users thanked this post: ed swain, herdorbust

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 08:27:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You will see a rise in cases this fall.  You do not want this, it is not the flue.  For those of you who say that you don't know anyone who has been affected, that's great and I hope that continues.  But as a nation, we're up to 5 million cases and those who early on thought this was a Blue State deal all you have to do is look around the nation and see where the new cases are.

The minute a one or two players contract COVID and God forbid die from it, all Hell will break loose.  If I had a son playing CFB, I'd want him to have the ability to opt out and I damn sure wouldn't let him sign a waiver to play.  This is all about dollars and not the health and well being of players and fans.  It won't be the end of the world to live and play another day.

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 08:36:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've known two people who have died from COVID in the past three months. One was four years younger than me.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2020, 08:39:06 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • You will see a rise in cases this fall.  You do not want this, it is not the flue.  For those of you who say that you don't know anyone who has been affected, that's great and I hope that continues.  But as a nation, we're up to 5 million cases and those who early on thought this was a Blue State deal all you have to do is look around the nation and see where the new cases are.

The minute a one or two players contract COVID and God forbid die from it, all Hell will break loose.  If I had a son playing CFB, I'd want him to have the ability to opt out and I damn sure wouldn't let him sign a waiver to play.  This is all about dollars and not the health and well being of players and fans.  It won't be the end of the world to live and play another day.

There you go!!! You are right. I don’t want it. I also don’t want the flu, cancer, heart disease or smashing my thumb with a hammer. But most people have little to no symptoms. So don’t act like nobody wants this when a lot of people show zero symptoms. I don’t know why anyone is complaining about no football if you are so terrified of the coronavirus. You should be glad to stay inside. And know that all these young athletes will be protected from playing during this virus that is killing everyone around us. I mean there has been 141 in WV alone. Now I realize there is usually 350-400 car deaths in WV a year but that is beside the point.

The following users thanked this post: Big City, JReese

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2020, 08:39:06 PM »

Offline Taft#1

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 08:40:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know of one that had it , not in this area , he said he has been sicker , knocked him a little bit but no big deal , he isnt the healthiest person I know either .

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust

Offline Bob25526

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 08:46:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dictatorship

Offline HaveUherd

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2020, 09:02:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dictatorship

Agree

Hopefully he’ll let us vote him out.

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2020, 09:40:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I know one person and she was in ICU for a month. It's a miracle she survived Convid -19. I respect everyone rights, I personally don't want this very contagious virus.

The following users thanked this post: lexkyherdfan

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2020, 09:47:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know one person and she was in ICU for a month. It's a miracle she survived Convid -19. I respect everyone rights, I personally don't want this very contagious virus.

Cabell county population 91,000. Covid deaths 3. Let that sink in!!!! And I’m sorry for the one person you knew that was in icu. But do you realize there are other people in icu’s every day? Do you freak out over all the traumas in icu all the time on vents?

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2020, 10:40:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I did the math a while back and can't remember what I came out with but it was something like if you are a FEMALE in Huntington...you are 10 times more likely to turn to prostitution than to even get COVID much less die from it.

When you put this virus into any kind of PERSPECTIVE the numbers/chances of a healthy person getting seriously ill are ridiculously small.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2020, 10:48:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I did the math a while back and can't remember what I came out with but it was something like if you are a FEMALE in Huntington...you are 10 times more likely to turn to prostitution than to even get COVID much less die from it.

When you put this virus into any kind of PERSPECTIVE the numbers/chances of a healthy person getting seriously ill are ridiculously small.

Myra it is the biggest hype job in world history. There are many many things out there every day we live with that is more likely to kill you. 91,000 people in cabell county and 3 deaths. 1.8 million people in WV and 141 deaths. And if you are 65 and younger I’ll bet the total deaths in WV are below 25 people out of 1.8 million.

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2020, 11:54:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I have a HS friend in ICU in Huntington with COVID.  Love to see your math on that.  His family reported that he is not responsive today.  He’s 52 with a wife and three kids. 
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

Offline breckjimison

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2020, 12:16:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have a HS friend in ICU in Huntington with COVID.  Love to see your math on that.  His family reported that he is not responsive today.  He’s 52 with a wife and three kids.
    I know R.S. too. But actually the numbers don’t lie. This is getting blown way out of proportion. It really hits home when someone you know or love comes down with it but we can’t let this change our whole way of life.

The following users thanked this post: Thundering In MD, Taft#1, JReese

Offline JReese

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2020, 09:06:42 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dictatorship

Wrong. He's the only one with spine and a set of balls and cant be bought by anyone. The very best this country has had since Reagan.
    « Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 11:18:28 AM by JReese »
    All I have ever truly wanted to be was a great dad.

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison, Taft#1, breckjimison

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2020, 09:06:42 AM »

Online svherd

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2020, 09:15:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know RS, coached his son in soccer at Va Pt. Great family. Know Mike as well. I know several that have had it and recovered quickly and are fine. Sadly, those like RS who have a history of medical issues are greatly compromised. At some point, we have to start moving forward for those who can and wish to. The country is a wreck on so many levels, getting back to some normalcy will help.

We preach about waiting on a vaccine. That's all well and good but rushing it to market comes with great risk. Will it work for all, will it come with side affects for all. What are the contraindications, any other issues that it may present. The flu shot doesn't save everyone, that's for sure.

The weak, old and compromised need to stay home at all costs. Long Term facilities sealed off and everyone tested. Be responsible and look out for others when we go out. Shouldn't be that hard. This virus will be with us now 'til the end of days, need to realize that and take steps accordingly. We can't all stay in our homes for a year or two, hoping it goes away and hope the government can take care of us when everyone loses their job and the market tanks.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: THECHAMPISHERE, JReese

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2020, 09:41:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have a HS friend in ICU in Huntington with COVID.  Love to see your math on that.  His family reported that he is not responsive today.  He’s 52 with a wife and three kids.

That's a shame and sorry to hear that.  If you can share, is the person a healthy fit 52 or are there other health issues.  It's extremely rare to have an otherwise healthy person of that age get seriously ill with COVID.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2020, 10:54:13 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0

Praying for your friend. The people who "respect" this virus has either known someone who had contacted or had it themselves. The majority of Trump supporters are following their cult leader and thinking Covid-19 is no big deal. Hell, it was just a few weeks ago, Con Man Trump just started endorsing and wearing a mask that seems to have disappeared lately.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2020, 10:54:13 AM »