Author Topic: Herd BBall roster out and stands at 16  (Read 2115 times)

Offline Herdmeister

Re: Herd BBall roster out and stands at 16
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2019, 06:43:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bluefield State or Bluefield College?
    Bluefield State
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2019, 06:43:51 AM »

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2019, 11:33:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bluefield State

I think we should rotate home/homes with Morehead/EKU/Radford/maybe ETSU, Chattanooga/etc.  Play Ohio every damn year.  Every single one. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2019, 11:55:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think we should rotate home/homes with Morehead/EKU/Radford/maybe ETSU, Chattanooga/etc.  Play Ohio every damn year.  Every single one.

They have tried Radford and get turned down. Ohio will only extend a contract on years they think they can beat us. We tried to get a contract started this year and they flat out refused.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #28 on: August 21, 2019, 01:02:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They have tried Radford and get turned down. Ohio will only extend a contract on years they think they can beat us. We tried to get a contract started this year and they flat out refused.

Ohio won't play, eh?

Well they are pus..........er I mean cats after all

:P

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline coalherd

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2019, 01:39:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Glad to see that Danny agrees, if we have to have/play a D-II opponent, to play in state schools like Bluefield State, Glenville, etc.  Provides those schools with a much needed revenue game and certainly can't hurt the Herd in terms of some good PR around areas of West Virginia away from the greater Huntington area.  Who knows, it might result in some students at those schools ending up at MU as grad students, etc., on down the road.  Good PR even if its not the ideal situation from MU/Coach Ds scheduling standpoint.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Collis P

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2019, 02:37:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Glad to see that Danny agrees, if we have to have/play a D-II opponent, to play in state schools like Bluefield State, Glenville, etc.  Provides those schools with a much needed revenue game and certainly can't hurt the Herd in terms of some good PR around areas of West Virginia away from the greater Huntington area.  Who knows, it might result in some students at those schools ending up at MU as grad students, etc., on down the road.  Good PR even if its not the ideal situation from MU/Coach Ds scheduling standpoint.

I can't disagree with your point, but giving up EKU and Morehead then having to fill in with a WV school strikes me as a bad trade.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2019, 03:38:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I can't disagree with your point, but giving up EKU and Morehead then having to fill in with a WV school strikes me as a bad trade.

Danny wont drop either unless he can upgrade. He has zero intentions of dropping them for lower level.he wants to upgrade but may not be able. I would like to keep those 2 regardless.but make no mistake, danny wants to help rpi not hurt it. He explained his thinking to us and i cant disagree with him. But i just love those two away games and want to keep them for selfish reasons.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2019, 07:03:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I can't disagree with your point, but giving up EKU and Morehead then having to fill in with a WV school strikes me as a bad trade.

Playing a D2 is his absolute last option. Believe me, they scoured the nation to try and get the last 2 games filled this year with home games. We got CofC which was a very good get, but had to resort to Bluefield State for the final game.
    The league has discussed going to a 20 game schedule for some time now. Next year could be the year. If so, that means there will be 2 less OOC games to have to schedule. That is why other conferences have gone to 20 games.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline coalherd

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2019, 04:36:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Playing a D2 is his absolute last option. Believe me, they scoured the nation to try and get the last 2 games filled this year with home games. We got CofC which was a very good get, but had to resort to Bluefield State for the final game.
    The league has discussed going to a 20 game schedule for some time now. Next year could be the year. If so, that means there will be 2 less OOC games to have to schedule. That is why other conferences have gone to 20 games.

That move cannot help MU or CUSA, IMO.  Majors will only make their overall ratings, like the former RPI, stronger, while such additional league games won't help MU and CUSA schools since the conference overall is rated pretty weak/low.  Yeah, if more league schools would increase support to their basketball programs, perhaps the league's quality and overall national reputation would improve, and then the extra league games would help in attaining the real goal, putting more teams into the Dance and into other meaningful post season play.  Let's see if the experimental late season reshuffling of conference play, or the "pods", produces anything positive after this coming season.  It did nothing after the 2018-19 season, IMO.

I still say the best thing, scheduling wise, that MU could achieve would be to eventually win big often enough that it finally gets a chance to land a slot in one of the MEANINGFUL in season tourneys, like those played down around Myrtle Beach, Charleston, S.C., the pre season NIT, the tourney out in Hawaii, perhaps one played in Vegas, if they still have those, or out in Bermuda or is it the Bahamas?  Tourneys where MU gets a shot at a Major foe, or foes, on a NEUTRAL floor.  I'd take that ANY day over the Global thing we have now against generally weak teams at home and then a scheduled "beat down" at the home of a Major foe!!

The following users thanked this post: chris88, herdfan129

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2019, 07:47:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree Coal, but I get the feeling Marshall prefers the global thing over something meaningful.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2019, 07:47:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree Coal, but I get the feeling Marshall prefers the global thing over something meaningful.

Not so. Danny would love to go to the tournament in Nassau or Myrtle Beach. You have to be asked to attend.
    Since we can't get in, however, the Global gets us an extra 2 games for the season at 31 and 3 home games. To not play in it we would only get 29 games
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2019, 08:20:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I love the schedule this year. Best schedule in a long time IMO. No long road trips. Not to over the top or to weak. Just against some good mid majors for the most part and a couple nice games against ND and Florida. Home games Robert Morris, CoC, Akron, Toledo, Eku etc is good with me and the usual trip to Morehead St, im ready.

The following users thanked this post: goherd73, Herdmeister, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2019, 08:20:14 AM »

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2019, 08:45:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I love the schedule this year. Best schedule in a long time IMO. No long road trips. Not to over the top or to weak. Just against some good mid majors for the most part and a couple nice games against ND and Florida. Home games Robert Morris, CoC, Akron, Toledo, Eku etc is good with me and the usual trip to Morehead St, im ready.

There are no 31 day road trips like last year or 5 games in 9 days nonsense. We only have to be on the road for a couple weeks at a time once or twice which always happens during the span of playing our travel partner on the road. It also gives us 2 weeks at home when they come here.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, herdorbust

Offline Always THE HERD

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2019, 11:33:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not so. Danny would love to go to the tournament in Nassau or Myrtle Beach. You have to be asked to attend.
    Since we can't get in, however, the Global gets us an extra 2 games for the season at 31 and 3 home games. To not play in it we would only get 29 games
    this is just my assumption.....but shouldn't Danny and even Mike still have a lot of Myrtle Beach connections....since Danny coached there and they had their restaurant there, etc.......curious if phone calls were made by anyone at MU????

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2019, 11:38:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Myrtle Beach basketball tournament is an ESPN property. It just happens to be located in MB.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Herdmeister, wasbarryb

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2019, 11:38:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • this is just my assumption.....but shouldn't Danny and even Mike still have a lot of Myrtle Beach connections....since Danny coached there and they had their restaurant there, etc.......curious if phone calls were made by anyone at MU????

Also assuming here, but I'd guess the broadcasting powers have more say in who gets in than local  in Myrtle.

We have gone from ESPN's darling to the redheaded step child.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, herdfan129

Offline coalherd

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2019, 10:17:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Also assuming here, but I'd guess the broadcasting powers have more say in who gets in than local  in Myrtle.

We have gone from ESPN's darling to the redheaded step child.

That's why I say if MU keeps winning consistently and making some more noise in post season play, IT GETS NOTICED.  Then the ESPNs starting looking at some potential match ups, be it in tourneys or wherever.  Exciting brand of offensive "Hill Billy" ball, plenty of scoring, Danny's gregarious personality, not to mention one of the top 5 Tee shirt collections among ALL of the D1 basketball coaching fraternity.  It all adds up!!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, herdfan129

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2019, 07:35:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Myrtle Beach basketball tournament is an ESPN property. It just happens to be located in MB.

100% true. The city of MB has absolutely no influence in the teams coming to town.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline Always THE HERD

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2019, 08:09:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 100% true. The city of MB has absolutely no influence in the teams coming to town.
    It would be nice if MU MBB supporters could write the corporate & local branches of each of the sponsors of this tournament by ESPN to suggest they include MU in the future tournaments (ALSO OTHER (MAJOR TOURNAMENTS).

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2019, 12:56:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It would be nice if MU MBB supporters could write the corporate & local branches of each of the sponsors of this tournament by ESPN to suggest they include MU in the future tournaments (ALSO OTHER (MAJOR TOURNAMENTS).

Even better would be winning enough games on the court to deserve the attention to get an invite.

Offline Herd2believe

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2019, 01:39:18 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]1
  • I know I probably sound like a broken record. But 4 straight winning seasons, 3 straight 20+ wins seasons, 2 trips to CUSA tournament finals, I CUSA championship, 1 NCAA tourney win and a trip to final 32, and a CIT championship in last 4 years under DD. I think we have done a lot to garner attention?

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, wlf, herdfan129

Offline Always THE HERD

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2019, 02:16:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know I probably sound like a broken record. But 4 straight winning seasons, 3 straight 20+ wins seasons, 2 trips to CUSA tournament finals, I CUSA championship, 1 NCAA tourney win and a trip to final 32, and a CIT championship in last 4 years under DD. I think we have done a lot to garner attention?
    I agree with your overall theme....HOWEVER.....who have we beaten in the regular season  out of conference group of teams?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2019, 02:16:06 PM »

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2019, 05:31:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

If Burks and Elmore had been juniors last year, we'd maybe be getting the attention we feel we deserve this year.

I think DD is getting us were we believe we should be.  If we jell quickly this year, maybe next year will get us better early season attention.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2019, 05:31:13 PM »