Author Topic: Chuck Says That Dan Deserved One More Year  (Read 2406 times)

Offline Buffalo Bop

Re: Chuck Says That Dan Deserved One More Year
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2024, 09:56:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Pruett would have killed to get an IPF like we have now. Isn't that why he left because he couldn't get certain monies to build one?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2024, 09:56:57 AM »

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2024, 10:04:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Things had definitely started to decline in Bob's final year's, but lets also remember that he had Bengals head coach Zac Taylor committed to come to Marshall and he flipped to Nebraska on signing day.  Zac went onto become Big-12 player of the year, while he was at Nebraska.  Zac would have been QB here in 2005-06.  I know Bob had resigned before then, but I have a feeling Bob would have stuck around if Zac had signed. 

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD

Online MUfan08

« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2024, 10:18:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Pruett would have killed to get an IPF like we have now. Isn't that why he left because he couldn't get certain monies to build one?

He had the funding already and Dan Angel moved that allocated money to the bio center that was over budget.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, parshall2marshall, Buffalo Bop, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2024, 10:24:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bob was a much better game day coach than Jim. Remember' Jim lost the 1-AA championship the year before in Huntington 22-20. Bob did bring in two great players with the same basic team from the year before and blew the same team out leading 39-6 at the end of the third quarter. (Picking up great players just shows that Bob was smart). Jim also lost the championship in 1991 in Statesboro when Tressel made adjustments at the half and out coached Jim. Jim would have lost the 1992 Championship if Tressel just had a few more minutes left on the clock. 

Jim also got out coached in semi final game at Boise. Boise made the adjustments at halftime and won the game. Jim was a very good coach, but not great  coach and he was fired by UGA.

I knew a couple of the players and their parents from Virginia who played for both Jim and Bob. Two players told me that Bob was a better coach. One of the players who went on to a great career in the NFL said Bob was the reason he made it to the NFL. He said that he was always in Jim's doghouse and didn't know why. Jim did have some personality issues.

Bob did decline his last few years but the competition level got better and he didn't have the financial resources (good assistant coaches) to complete at that level. He made some mistakes and he got caught.

I also think Jim was a good coach even with his horrible personality. He was not very good with dealing with fans and some of his players.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, DC01HERD, parshall2marshall, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2024, 11:39:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bob was a much better game day coach than Jim. Remember' Jim lost the 1-AA championship the year before in Huntington 22-20. Bob did bring in two great players with the same basic team from the year before and blew the same team out leading 39-6 at the end of the third quarter. (Picking up great players just shows that Bob was smart). Jim also lost the championship in 1991 in Statesboro when Tressel made adjustments at the half and out coached Jim. Jim would have lost the 1992 Championship if Tressel just had a few more minutes left on the clock. 

Jim also got out coached in semi final game at Boise. Boise made the adjustments at halftime and won the game. Jim was a very good coach, but not great  coach and he was fired by UGA.

I knew a couple of the players and their parents from Virginia who played for both Jim and Bob. Two players told me that Bob was a better coach. One of the players who went on to a great career in the NFL said Bob was the reason he made it to the NFL. He said that he was always in Jim's doghouse and didn't know why. Jim did have some personality issues.

Bob did decline his last few years but the competition level got better and he didn't have the financial resources (good assistant coaches) to complete at that level. He made some mistakes and he got caught.

I also think Jim was a good coach even with his horrible personality. He was not very good with dealing with fans and some of his players.

The bigger the game, the move conservative Jim became on offense. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2024, 11:44:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

yep, agree on all that. Donnan's biggest strength IMO was his ability to identify and get talent.  the 1-aa roster of the mid 90s and what was there ready to go in 96 was unbelievable really.

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, svherd, horsrman, Rockin Herd Fan, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline MLBULL

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2024, 03:35:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • College sports are businesses?plain and simple. When your best players are walking away in the off season that?s not good. When you lose your last 7 regular season games this season that?s not good. The Marshall fans deserve a quality product. Sometimes bad seasons just happen. This season felt like we were out of sync there was no true point guard and our shooters didn?t make shots. I will always hold Coach DD in high regard.                                       Moving forward? Welcome Coach Corny! You need to know we support you 100 per cent and come November we will be there to cheer you, staff and team on with a resounding ?Let?s Go HERD?

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, Buffalo Bop, chris88, Flat Tire 2

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2024, 03:42:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hopefully Corny is proactive with the roster. This is his shot to be a head coach.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Buffalo Bop

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #58 on: March 29, 2024, 04:56:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hopefully Corny is proactive with the roster. This is his shot to be a head coach.

He has to be proactive, this is his shot and the cupboard is bare except for Obinna and Martin

Gotta land a bunch of "dudes" in this class

Go Herd!

Offline banker

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2024, 11:02:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I loved the BP era and success we had and he did sustain it for a while. He did win (although not like 96-99) after the Donnan stock pile was gone 2000- forward.

What is wrong with my take?
    1)that 96 team was loaded with talent, much of it BP benefited from thru 1999.  That team was stacked without Moss/kresser.  You should look at who was here sitting out in 95 and who returned from playing in 95.  I think it's safe to say we would have had tremendous success 96-99 no matter who we hired.

2)2004 the wheels fell off by end of season with record near .500 and embarrassing bowl loss.  Surely you aren't suggesting the program was in the shape it was when BP came in 96.  I'm not even bring up the late resignation.

Also he did not go to a bowl "every single season" bad take.  See 2003.

I don't disagree with most of your comments (only disagree with incorrect bowl comment).  Fact is despite his high success (which I loved) was aided as he walked into a loaded program and sustained it and did succeed with his own recruited players as well but at the end program clearly in decline and worse than he found it. (Didn't even bring up his probation)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were 8-4 in 2003, not Pruett?s fault the MAC on one bowl tie.  11-2 in back to back year with zero Donnan players. Top 25 team with zero Donnan players.  The talent on the team in 2005, including Bradshaw and a fairly nasty defense, wasn?t horrible, just quickly fell apart under Snyder.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2024, 12:22:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Chuck is an !diot, Dan gat what he deserved.

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, svherd, SuperAnjario, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2024, 12:34:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We were 8-4 in 2003, not Pruett?s fault the MAC on one bowl tie.  11-2 in back to back year with zero Donnan players. Top 25 team with zero Donnan players.  The talent on the team in 2005, including Bradshaw and a fairly nasty defense, wasn?t horrible, just quickly fell apart under Snyder.

Solid roster in 2005. A stud recruiting class away from being top dog. 

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2024, 12:34:27 AM »

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2024, 01:33:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I would argue DD got one more year than he deserved. He should have been fired after last season.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2024, 07:38:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would argue DD got one more year than he deserved. He should have been fired after last season.

I wouldn't disagree with you that he deserved to be fired sooner than he was, in fact I could easily argue he should have been fired two years go.

Which year DD should have been fired, doesn't change my earlier point, Chuck is an !diot for claiming he deserved more years than he got.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2024, 07:41:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We were 8-4 in 2003, not Pruett?s fault the MAC on one bowl tie.  11-2 in back to back year with zero Donnan players. Top 25 team with zero Donnan players.  The talent on the team in 2005, including Bradshaw and a fairly nasty defense, wasn?t horrible, just quickly fell apart under Snyder.
    No one said 03 was a bad team.  I corrected your inaccurate statement.  No one said there was zero talent in 2005 when the schedule got a lot tougher in the real CUSA. 

I simply stated the fact that the program was in decline in 04 when he left.

I loved Coach P and that era too, doesn't mean I can't see the truth.

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: chris88, andy31, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2024, 08:01:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The bigger the game, the move conservative Jim became on offense.

I noticed after the first NC State game, he changed his approach to playing 1-A games. I was at that game and he really tried to win the game. I went out to Columbia for the Missouri game and Jim just went through the motions and seemed satisfied with just getting the check. That seem to be his attitude with playing the other 1-A teams during his career. Tressel definitely had his number.

I think Jim was a good coach, I wished he had  been hired him as coach when we hired Snyder. He wanted to come back to Marshall, but Marshall made the wrong choice for the head coach.

Jim was good at finding talent. I used to keep spreadsheets of the players and there was a large turnover of first and second year players in his program. You could give partial scholarships in that era. Look at John Wade, he came to Marshall at about 6'4" and 250 pounds. He left being 6'6' and over 300 pounds. He had offers from JMU and a couple of other 1-AA schools. Jamie Wilson, another NFL player, and he another player who a couple of 1-AA offers out of high school. He had a couple of great RB during his time at MU.

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2024, 08:10:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Back to the subject.

Correct, Dan stayed too long. It is hard for some people to know when to make their exit and give it up. Dan is a great example of someone who didn't realize it was time to exit. He admitted he had trouble with the portal and NIL and couldn't or wouldn't adjust. I remember him saying that he now had re recruit the players every year and he was not happy. He should have left several years ago after he realized college basketball was changing and he wasn't changing.

Edit: I haven't seen many of the Dan supporters on the board. I understand, it was getting toxic and sometimes it is best to just walk away.  I have seen a few of them lurking. Hopefully, they will accept the situation and support CJ. MU needs all the fans to be successful.
    « Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 09:32:58 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUfan08, herdfan93, wasbarryb

Online chris88

« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2024, 08:13:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No one said 03 was a bad team.  I corrected your inaccurate statement.  No one said there was zero talent in 2005 when the schedule got a lot tougher in the real CUSA. 

I simply stated the fact that the program was in decline in 04 when he left.

I loved Coach P and that era too, doesn't mean I can't see the truth.

There were a lot of problems in the program in BP last couple of years. Recruiting had really fallen off with lots of misses on HS players and many of the props not panning out. The quality of the staff was also on decline and lacked influx of new ideas. The defense had started falling off. The NCAA stuff etc. I remember being at a coaches clinic and was really shocked at how practice was being run. Stan Hill was the last all conf caliber QB we had until probably Cato. It's amazing how much a great QB can cover other issues as Cato showed during Doc yrs but the 2014 squad also had many other great players which is why we had the year we did. BP's staff had relied too much on having a great QB and there was not enough talent overall to make up for that and the staff was subpar overall. MS was hired late and inherited a mess in a better league and he was never able to assemble a top notch staff or recruit well enough to recover. We haven't had a gifted offensive mind on the staff in quite a while. Cramsey was better than many gave him credit for but the HCs and recruiting never player to his strengths. Hopefully the new OC will bring that and fortunes will turn.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline herdfan48

« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2024, 08:54:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The bigger the game, the move conservative Jim became on offense.
    The 95 Championship Game against Montana was a prime example. The offense is backed up inside their own 1 yd line. Chad is true freshman at qb and Donnan has Chris Parker on the sideline instead of in the game. Montana gets a safety and those 2 points were the difference in the game. Why would you not have a Parker in the game in a situation like that. I'm thinking that happened just before or after halftime and I'll never forget my Dad saying that will be the difference in the game and it was. Donnan was a great recruiter, but not always a great game day coach.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2024, 08:54:04 AM »