Author Topic: Ever Wonder Why JMU Is So Successful?  (Read 639 times)

Offline Flat Tire 2

Ever Wonder Why JMU Is So Successful?
« on: March 27, 2024, 07:59:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • According to the below link, JMU subsidizes its athletic program with 78% of athletic funding coming from student fees. With an enrollment of over 20,000 students, JMU gets their money from the parents. The MAC schools also are heavy subsidized by students and Marshall athletics are also subsidized. I don't think the SEC and B10 schools have student fees due to TV contracts and high gate receipts.

Students are forced to subsidize college sports. Why?
    A report by Sportico says that at James Madison University, 78% of the athletic funding comes from student fees.
    https://cardinalnews.org/2024/03/27/students-are-forced-to-subsidize-college-sports-why/

The following users thanked this post: svherd, horsrman, Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

Ever Wonder Why JMU Is So Successful?
    « on: March 27, 2024, 07:59:21 PM »

Offline Lord Haw-Haw

Re: Ever Wonder Why JMU Is So Successful?
    « Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 09:18:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • According to the below link, JMU subsidizes its athletic program with 78% of athletic funding coming from student fees. With an enrollment of over 20,000 students, JMU gets their money from the parents. The MAC schools also are heavy subsidized by students and Marshall athletics are also subsidized. I don't think the SEC and B10 schools have student fees due to TV contracts and high gate receipts.

Students are forced to subsidize college sports. Why?
    A report by Sportico says that at James Madison University, 78% of the athletic funding comes from student fees.
    https://cardinalnews.org/2024/03/27/students-are-forced-to-subsidize-college-sports-why/
    Good read, it took some time to understand, but JMU is really taking advantage of their students with all the added fees for intercollegiate athletics. Maybe the legislature in Virginia needs to step in and change the law in Virginia on how state-supported colleges are allowed to finance their athletic programs.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline richmondherdfan

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 09:58:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As a Virginia resident his really pisses me off. And people wonder why tuition is through the roof and kids leave college with massive amounts of debt. JMU sacks their students with roughly $10K for a 4 degree in fees for sports. Id love to take a poll and see how many kids would rather have 10K in their pocket or an NCAA tournament win.

VCU did it a while back when they had to raise Shaka Smarts salary to keep him. They increased their student fees a whole bunch, forget the actual number.

I think I read Marshall athletic budget is only 13% from student fees, JMU's is 78%. Holy hell.

Should we raise ours? How do we compete if we do not? Not advocating for it, just asking the question.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline chris88

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 10:11:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have talked about this on this board before and specifically about JMU. It's absurd and should be a class action lawsuit. Parents/students should be able to opt out of those fees and pay per sporting events that they want to attend with multiple tiers. It's not as bad as school bond levies without end dates but still almost criminal imo.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: richmondherdfan

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2024, 10:40:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2024, 11:28:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Offline herdfan93

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2024, 11:51:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just my opinion but if they want AW they can have him.  He hasn't been all that successful at EKU.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, ru4mu2, chris88, miltonherdfan

Offline ru4mu2

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2024, 11:54:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://x.com/TheHerdsHeadset/status/1773178659173507151?s=20
    Subjective.  In 6 years at EKU his winning percentage is .542 (Dan's is .545)  If I was Spears, I would have called Gregg Marshall, Chris Mack and John Brannon and they would have had to tell me NO.  If Corny is able to be his own Coach and reconstruct this roster, I think he will do great things.  Hopefully he has that authority and isn't hamstrung.  JMO

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, chris88

Offline svherd

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2024, 11:54:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Spradlin would be a solid hire. The other 2, not that impressive to me. jmo

While I hope and want Corny to be hugely successful, I wouldn't be shocked if we are doing a search in 2 years.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline GreenDaddy

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2024, 12:39:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://x.com/TomBraggSports/status/1773318396441968877?s=20

Watch it end up being Crutchfield, and he comes in and each everyone's lunch LoL. I think Spradlin will be the hire and he is the most solid choice. AW Hamilton hasn't impressed at EKU.

There are rumors that Corny is already working on transforming our roster a little bit. It gives me hope that maybe he will end up being a nice surprise.

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2024, 12:55:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • they can have AW, wouldn't lose any sleep over that 1 at all.  but PS should cause some head-banging on the wall in our AD if he ended up there.  i don't think JC would take it.  he'll be 68 come next season, & he's probably where he wants to live the rest of his life (FL).  he's from here (WV, but the Virginias broadly-speaking), he had arguably the best D-II program in the country when he was at WL, & he still opted to leave it all behind to go to FL.  at this point in his life, why not just go out whenever you want on top of the D-II world & just hang your hat on having the best all-time winning % in NCAA MBB history (i assume he's still #1, i know he was a couple yrs ago)?

that being said, we absolutely shoulda hired him when we hired DD.  but at 68, i don't think i'd take a chance on him at this point.

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2024, 01:42:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Because they know who they are as a university, They never try to be anything they aren't. They have full community and fan support and a younger overall fan base than Marshall has.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2024, 01:42:35 PM »

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2024, 04:29:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Crutchfield

Offline MUther

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2024, 07:56:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have talked about this on this board before and specifically about JMU. It's absurd and should be a class action lawsuit. Parents/students should be able to opt out of those fees and pay per sporting events that they want to attend with multiple tiers. It's not as bad as school bond levies without end dates but still almost criminal imo.

We just received $13M for a new baseball field for the Bad News Bears, all from taxpayer money, and since it was a federal gift to the state it doesn't even stop at WV residents.  I'd rather the students pay for the athletics than everyone else.  This is similar to people giving us hell for taking Props and then NQs.  It's within the rules and people are free to use the means they need to until the rules are changed.  No one is forced to go to JMU and as long as the fees are disclosed at enrollment I don't see how there are any grounds for a suit. 

Every school is doing this. Some just still call it tuition, but a portion gets kicked back to athletics. Virginia makes them list each source and expenditure explicitly.  So it has to be reported as student fees.  They have similar sports attendance to us, so they're making roughly the same from ticket sales.  The other difference is affluent grads in a rich part of the state make for better donors and more of them.  I doubt they would do that if they were chafed about the athletic fees.

The following users thanked this post: HoPPy785

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2024, 07:01:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • After Dan was told to leave a search for the best candidate should have ensued
    Plain and simple
    And if Corny emerges as the best candidate then so be it

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2024, 08:09:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I was a former resident of Virginia faced with paying my son's college tuition. I thought the athletic fees were ridiculous since was I paying for his education. 

There was a backlash from parents paying the fees and a law was enacted to control the fees. The below link is about the law. JMU and ODU  are suppose to be at the 55% by next year. Interesting to see what happens.

McAuliffe signs bill that limits athletic student fees
    https://www.pilotonline.com/2015/03/31/mcauliffe-signs-bill-that-limits-athletic-student-fees/

The following users thanked this post: svherd, chris88

Offline chris88

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2024, 08:37:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was a former resident of Virginia faced with paying my son's college tuition. I thought the athletic fees were ridiculous since was I paying for his education. 

There was a backlash from parents paying the fees and a law was enacted to control the fees. The below link is about the law. JMU and ODU  are suppose to be at the 55% by next year. Interesting to see what happens.

McAuliffe signs bill that limits athletic student fees
    https://www.pilotonline.com/2015/03/31/mcauliffe-signs-bill-that-limits-athletic-student-fees/

Thanks for posting this. I was aware of this and knew they had enacted this board as a voice of reason. I did not know the JMU and others had been charged with reducing the fees. Xavier has a pretty solid sports program in Big East and if my memory is correct the students pay about $750 a year in athletic fees. You could end it very quickly by making it a mandatory charge for the faculty and professional staff at the university as well. When the students themselves and/or parents are paying back student loans plus interest I can assure you the 10k in extra fees will become more concerning. Of course if the federal govt continues to go out of it's way to selectively relieve student loan debt to gin up votes despite spending trillions a year over it's budget than the middle class will feel the pain more via inflation etc.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline MUonium

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2024, 10:05:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • verification of the true facts/net dollar amounts from fees, subsidies or from other/all sources, is difficult.

so i'll just throw out there what MU might do, a roughly estimated compromise-  if MU is currently around 13%, how about 25% flat fees, or on a moving % scale based from freshman to senior or based on other/multiple factors that hover around 25%?

we know it ususally takes money to make money (success).  even without high AD fees, JMU has been successfully winning coupled with overall student enrollment which is bound to bring in much more money overall than MU, even before their transition to FBS.

could be way off the mark, idk

The following users thanked this post: bighat

HerdFans.com

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2024, 10:05:57 AM »