Author Topic: Goodman: D'antoni Out, Corny In  (Read 6568 times)

Offline GreenBison

Re: Goodman: D'antoni Out, Corny In
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2024, 08:14:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd like to see AW Hamilton get a shot.
    The smell of arcrid smoke and horses breath - The Trooper - Steve Harris

HerdFans.com

« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2024, 08:14:11 AM »

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2024, 08:17:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • JUST SAYING - I TRIED TO TELL Y'ALL FEB 16.

HerdFans / Re: Marshall vs Appy State Game Thread (2/15 - 6:30PM)
    ? on: February 16, 2024, 10:33:12 AM ?
    Can't wait for someone from the current staff to get promoted as HC.

Y'all gonna have to start listening to the FilmJunky. His sources never lie.

On a real note.... What a move my Christian Spears to give a 2 year deal to CJ. This is not a knock on CJ at all, but what can you expect from him in 2 years given the state of the program now? How can you recruit? This is absolutely wild to me that an outside search was never done even if they wanted to keep CJ all along. I really don't understand this move. Someone with some $ that we don't know about is calling this shot or spears has just thrown in the towel in basketball. Hopefully CJ can inject some life in this program, but this whole situation is just beyond wild to me.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Flat Tire 2, miltonherdfan

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2024, 08:18:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • NOPE! Jason Slay is who I think he will hire....currently at Illinois State, prior to that at South Florida and prior to that at Youngstown State.

It is Tamar's brother and Jason played at WV State when Corny was an assistant.

I like the idea of bringing an outsider to the staff who has college coaching and recruiting experience instead of just being a former player who doesn't have the experience. Another perspective might be a good idea.  Besides the above mentioned schools here is some bio information.

"Prior to his stint at Youngstown State, he was an assistant coach at Virginia Military Institute (2015-17), East Tennessee State (2014-15), Tennessee State (2013-14), and was the director of basketball operations at Georgia Southern (2012-13). He also spent time as the top assistant coach at Hargrave Military Academy after starting his coaching career at his alma mater of West Virginia State after he graduated with his undergraduate degree in general education in 2008."
    https://goredbirds.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/jason-slay/1783
    « Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 08:27:30 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline chris88

« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2024, 08:21:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Let's also give some credit to Smith for letting Spears do his job
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD, miltonherdfan

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2024, 08:24:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like the idea of bringing an outsider to the staff who has college coaching experience instead of just being a former player. Another perspective might be a good idea.  Besides the above mentioned schools here is some bio information.

"Prior to his stint at Youngstown State, he was an assistant coach at Virginia Military Institute (2015-17), East Tennessee State (2014-15), Tennessee State (2013-14), and was the director of basketball operations at Georgia Southern (2012-13). He also spent time as the top assistant coach at Hargrave Military Academy after starting his coaching career at his alma mater of West Virginia State after he graduated with his undergraduate degree in general education in 2008."
    https://goredbirds.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/jason-slay/1783

I do too.

We need a young assistant coach who has experience & RECRUITING CONTACTS ALREADY ESTABLISHED.

We lack talent. I don't want to bring in a former player that has to learn on the job as far as how to recruit. That statement won't make a lot of people happy on this board. But we need to bring someone in who knows contacts, knows how to recruit and knows Marshall. Jason Slay has those traits. I don't think Corny, with a 2-year deal, can break in a guy who has never coached at this level.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 08:29:04 AM by jdonaccbus »

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2024, 08:31:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I do too.

We need a young assistant coach who has experience & RECRUITING CONTACTS ALREADY ESTABLISHED.

We lack talent. I don't want to bring in a former player that has to learn on the job as far as how to recruit. That statement won't make a lot of people happy on this board. But we need to bring someone in who knows contacts, knows how to recruit and knows Marshall. Slay has those traits. I don't think Corny, with a 2-year deal, can break in a guy who has never coached at this level.

I agree, we need immediate recruiting help and hiring someone with no college coaching experience doesn't make sense. We need an assistant coach who hit the ground running and has recruiting contacts and EXPERIENCE. With the portal, you need to have a seasoned person who knows where to find players.

Like you said, it may upset some fans but CJ needs to look past former stars to turn it around quickly if he wants to keep the job. If CJ turns it around quickly, Marshall made the right hire.
    « Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 08:34:38 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline Surbadger

« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2024, 08:48:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think people forget that Corny was a huge up and coming coach when we hired him. He is a recruiter which is what we need right now and he is also a players coach. I have said for years that Corny would be the successor to Dan when he left. I wish it were on better terms, but I am going to give Corny a chance to right the ship.

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, wlf

Offline SuperAnjario

Re: Goodman: D?antoni Out, Corny In
    « Reply #82 on: March 26, 2024, 08:49:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Danettes will march out the door, and along with it, their monetary support. I hope Danny can hold their feet to the fire regarding the final two years of his contract. If they were going to do this, they should have done it two weeks ago.

We'll miss all 9 of them and their $23.

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2024, 08:57:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would be surprised if Jon took the assistants job.  1) I'm not sure he is done chasing his dream.  2) He might not take it because he was being disloyal to DD if he did take it. 

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2024, 09:09:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • On a real note.... What a move my Christian Spears to give a 2 year deal to CJ. This is not a knock on CJ at all, but what can you expect from him in 2 years given the state of the program now? How can you recruit? This is absolutely wild to me that an outside search was never done even if they wanted to keep CJ all along. I really don't understand this move. Someone with some $ that we don't know about is calling this shot or spears has just thrown in the towel in basketball. Hopefully CJ can inject some life in this program, but this whole situation is just beyond wild to me.

i agree with all of this.  despite all the posting to the contrary, DD had to have been contractually owed some THING or some AMOUNT as a "buyout," his contract was terminated 2 years early against his will.  i'm guessing either DD agreed to waive a $$$ buyout we owed him IF we let CJ finish out his contract.  OR, possibly THIS was the "buyout" language in his contract -- IF DD were to be terminated early, CJ gets to finish out whatever's left of his 3-yr contract.  b/c it is kinda odd that CJ was just given the 2 years that DD still had left & nothing more...& with no search done whatsoever.  b/c if CS wasn't contractually obligated to promote CJ, then it's hard to believe anything else other than CS has just thrown in the towel on MBB.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, ru4mu2, herdorbust2

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #85 on: March 26, 2024, 10:12:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ot's the one who fixed Jon's shot when he was having issues.  i think he'd make the better coach.  but he isn't going to pull the same name draw as Jon.  But given the choice for coach I'd take Ot every time.

Ot tried coaching and moved on, right?

Anyway he posts on the board so hopefully he will chime in

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline GreenBison

« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2024, 10:16:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ot tried coaching and moved on, right?

Ot is the best!
    The smell of arcrid smoke and horses breath - The Trooper - Steve Harris

HerdFans.com

« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2024, 10:16:21 AM »

Offline Otelmore

« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2024, 10:55:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ot tried coaching and moved on, right?

I have moved on, and while I appreciate the love, Jon would definitely be the better coach! Hope Corny will bring him in and let Jon help him rebuild it to the heights he helped elevate the program to.

Online GreenDaddy

« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2024, 11:10:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have moved on, and while I appreciate the love, Jon would definitely be the better coach! Hope Corny will bring him in and let Jon help him rebuild it to the heights he helped elevate the program to.

Ot, do you see a change in recruiting philosophy when comparing Corny to Dan? What differences do you think we will see from Corny running the program now?

Online MUfan08

« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2024, 11:26:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, ed swain, Flat Tire 2, miltonherdfan

Offline chris88

« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2024, 11:40:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• i agree with all of this.  despite all the posting to the contrary, DD had to have been contractually owed some THING or some AMOUNT as a "buyout," his contract was terminated 2 years early against his will.  i'm guessing either DD agreed to waive a $$$ buyout we owed him IF we let CJ finish out his contract.  OR, possibly THIS was the "buyout" language in his contract -- IF DD were to be terminated early, CJ gets to finish out whatever's left of his 3-yr contract.  b/c it is kinda odd that CJ was just given the 2 years that DD still had left & nothing more...& with no search done whatsoever.  b/c if CS wasn't contractually obligated to promote CJ, then it's hard to believe anything else other than CS has just thrown in the towel on MBB.

I think there is a lot more going on behind the scenes to give CJ a two year deal. One may be ability to keep a couple of guys around as well as allow CJ to have some better players consider Marshall now that he will be making the scholly decisions. Players he is already has relationships with. If you did a full search now with no coach or staff some of current guys and likely all of contacts that have been made would have taken MU off their list of schools. Also, maybe a guy like John Brannen said he couldn't move now due to commitments but would love to be considered in a year or two. This gives CJ two years to show demonstrable progress. It's like a two year interim. Players know they can leave at any time anyway under the current rules.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd

Offline Otelmore

« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2024, 12:08:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ot, do you see a change in recruiting philosophy when comparing Corny to Dan? What differences do you think we will see from Corny running the program now?
         Listen I?m no expert by any means. I think Dan has been unfairly maligned on this board. I understand wanting better, but all in all I truly think Dan did a great job for a program that lacks a lot of historical success and tradition. I also think people don?t take into account that Dan?s job turned into one that was different than the one he was hired to do.
         Dan?s greatest strength was the culture he built around Marshall basketball. It was this culture that allowed for some pretty great successes the first 6-7 years. However, the rule changes I think really threw that out of whack. Nil and transfer rules make culture irrelevant. How would you feel, if your greatest strength at work suddenly became irrelevant. Now culture and program doesn?t matter, it?s all year to year and team to team like a professional team.
          To answer your question, I think (hope) corny can lean in to the portal, nil, etc a little more than we have in the past. I think corny being younger will help allow for an easier transition to this new age of college sports. If you look at the coaches having the most success in the portal, they tend to be on the younger side and not quite as ingrained in college sports (Utah states coach for example, golden at Florida, etc).
          I think Corny will be strong in recruiting and know I?ll be rooting for his success and the herds success. He learned how to build a program under coach Dan and although that may be less important now, if he can mesh those lessons with his recruiting prowess, Marshall should have a very good one.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 12:09:34 PM by Otelmore »

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #92 on: March 26, 2024, 12:28:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •      Listen I?m no expert by any means. I think Dan has been unfairly maligned on this board. I understand wanting better, but all in all I truly think Dan did a great job for a program that lacks a lot of historical success and tradition. I also think people don?t take into account that Dan?s job turned into one that was different than the one he was hired to do.
         Dan?s greatest strength was the culture he built around Marshall basketball. It was this culture that allowed for some pretty great successes the first 6-7 years. However, the rule changes I think really threw that out of whack. Nil and transfer rules make culture irrelevant. How would you feel, if your greatest strength at work suddenly became irrelevant. Now culture and program doesn?t matter, it?s all year to year and team to team like a professional team.
          To answer your question, I think (hope) corny can lean in to the portal, nil, etc a little more than we have in the past. I think corny being younger will help allow for an easier transition to this new age of college sports. If you look at the coaches having the most success in the portal, they tend to be on the younger side and not quite as ingrained in college sports (Utah states coach for example, golden at Florida, etc).
          I think Corny will be strong in recruiting and know I?ll be rooting for his success and the herds success. He learned how to build a program under coach Dan and although that may be less important now, if he can mesh those lessons with his recruiting prowess, Marshall should have a very good one.

Love having your input on the board man!

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb, horsrman, GreenDaddy, Otelmore

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2024, 12:32:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •      Listen I?m no expert by any means. I think Dan has been unfairly maligned on this board. I understand wanting better, but all in all I truly think Dan did a great job for a program that lacks a lot of historical success and tradition. I also think people don?t take into account that Dan?s job turned into one that was different than the one he was hired to do.

A good example of blending recruiting High School and portal is Otzelberger at Iowa State.

Online GreenDaddy

« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2024, 12:38:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Thanks for the response. It's good to see you hanging around the board. Stay around and provide input when you can.

In regards to Corny, he wasn't my pick to take over when Dan stepped aside. However, he will definitely have my support in hopes of getting this turned around. He seems like genuinely great dude, and I hope he surpasses all expectations.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, overherd1

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2024, 12:40:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think people forget that Corny was a huge up and coming coach when we hired him. He is a recruiter which is what we need right now and he is also a players coach. I have said for years that Corny would be the successor to Dan when he left. I wish it were on better terms, but I am going to give Corny a chance to right the ship.

FYI: His previous coaching stops were Cleveland State; UT Martin and WVSC. I just wish he had experience or exposure with better or higher profile programs and coaches.

Offline MidlandKnight

« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2024, 12:42:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think there is a lot more going on behind the scenes to give CJ a two year deal. One may be ability to keep a couple of guys around as well as allow CJ to have some better players consider Marshall now that he will be making the scholly decisions. Players he is already has relationships with. If you did a full search now with no coach or staff some of current guys and likely all of contacts that have been made would have taken MU off their list of schools. Also, maybe a guy like John Brannen said he couldn't move now due to commitments but would love to be considered in a year or two. This gives CJ two years to show demonstrable progress. It's like a two year interim. Players know they can leave at any time anyway under the current rules.

The decision on CJ was not made this week, or in the past few weeks. Despite what some may think, the man has had several other opportunities and has turned them down. By the way, this was not directed at you, just trying to answer your questions.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, GreenBison, chris88

HerdFans.com

« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2024, 12:42:27 PM »

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2024, 12:51:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am willing to give coach Jackson a chance. Based on what I have read here, he had some decent players lined up only to be shot down by D'Antoni. I was willing to give up my season tickets had D'Antoni came back for another year. I was not going to pay hard earned money to watch us play a bunch of nobodies at home just so D'Antoni coudl pad his wins. I think we will see some improvement for the 24-25 season. Some of the conference teams will lost to this past season will end up as wins. Just a gut feeling. Also, I believe coach Jackson will play for the whole season, not just March.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline Otelmore

« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2024, 01:01:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am willing to give coach Jackson a chance. Based on what I have read here, he had some decent players lined up only to be shot down by D'Antoni. I was willing to give up my season tickets had D'Antoni came back for another year. I was not going to pay hard earned money to watch us play a bunch of nobodies at home just so D'Antoni coudl pad his wins. I think we will see some improvement for the 24-25 season. Some of the conference teams will lost to this past season will end up as wins. Just a gut feeling. Also, I believe coach Jackson will play for the whole season, not just March.
    Last post I?ll make and I promise I?m not calling you out individually. But the hatred for Dan and the fans threatening to give up season tickets is not cool. This is from a former players perspective, that?s tough to see from anyone. And definitely would only hinder the program and not help. Coach Dan had it right when he said you should support the school, win or lose. It?s Marshall and should be the place we love. And trust me I know this board wants to win and is tough. Probably too tough. Heck I?ve checked in here and get maligned for my coaching decisions of herd that from time to time and how I could be doing better. And that?s something I do every summer with Jon just because our love for the school and wanting to represent it well. Even been maligned for announcing the games and I just do that because Marshall asked me to. I have a day job and have no desire to be an announcer. Moral of the story, I hope fans realize prospective players see this board, players do , former players, etc. I?m going to support win or lose.
     You should be Asking not what the team can / should be doing for you, but what you could be doing for the team -ot Elmore
    « Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 01:05:41 PM by Otelmore »

The following users thanked this post: MUtim, coryherdman69, Always THE HERD, bighat, horsrman, VA Herd Fan

Offline MUther

« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2024, 01:26:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I mean, we did do that for a lot of years.  Some of his biggest critics were his biggest fans early on, including me. Once it was clear he was not going to make the necessary changes in himself to keep up with the way things are now, it was time to do whatever it would take to get him replaced.  These aren't people that wanted to give up their seats.  They are people that felt like they had to, to do what's best for Marshall.  Not out of spite, but to create positive change from negative stagnancy.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, herdfan129, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2024, 01:26:41 PM »